Metal Gear Survive vs. Fortnite

Wavergray

Metal Gear Survive vs. Fortnite  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Metal Gear Survive vs. Fortnite

• Metal Gear Survive
    • Fortnite
    • Neither because they both suck.

So E3 2017 has come and gone and in the storm of info about a ton of upcoming games some info about Metal Gear Survive has popped up. The following video by youtuber YongYea has the clearest and deepest Hands On Impressions of the game so far.

The game sounds like it will be a okay game, but one thing I noticed is that the gameplay flow of Metal Gear Survive seems to be a lot like Epic Games upcoming game Fortnite.

As you can see in the following E3 Gameplay Interview, Fortnite's gameplay flow is very similar to Metal Gear Survive, but the tone of the game is the complete opposite of MG:S

So if you could only play one which one would you play?

Edited by soultaker655
  • Like 1

Pains me to say it, but it feels like "they both suck" is the only reasonable option here.

Metal Gear has one of the most convoluted, senseless stories in gaming. If you want to make a spinoff of that, but the only actual connection you care to make is that some nameless soldiers from one of the main entries got sucked through a wormhole to an alternate dimension... that does not bode well in any way whatsoever. As for the gameplay, according to people who have played it, they have managed to create an overly simplistic game with poor controls — while also giving you stamina, hunger, and thirst meters. I'm sure it will be a really fun experience when your buddy needs your help to fight the alternate-universe zombies with red spikes coming out of their face, but you can't go over to help him fast enough because you didn't drink enough water. Kill me now.

Meanwhile, it sounds like Fortnite is going to have some good stuff in there. The base-building looks addictive. But it also sounds like they decided to dump every horrible form of F2P garbage in a blender. Loot boxes, "cards," locked/randomized characters with long progressions for that collect-em-all aspect, all manner of rinky-dink exclusives, strange harvesting "gameplay" where you just walk around and chop things like in Minecraft... it doesn't look good. Then they take this collection of every known variety of F2P crap and do a paid Early Access release? I mean, it's Epic; I don't doubt that in the end certain aspects will be very well executed. But something is way, way wrong here.

Edited by rdhight

I would go with Fortnite because it looks like a much more fulfilling multiplayer experience than Survive. I'm a big fan of Gears of War and Epic is doing a very solid job with Paragon, so I'm confident that they can create an enjoyable experience with Fortnite. On the other hand, Konami's just reusing assets from MGSV to create a game that looks to be just as boring and tedious as Umbrella corps.

It pains me as a Metal Gear fan, but I will not be playing/purchasing Metal Gear Survive after everything that went down with Konami's crappy treatment of their employees, how they treated Hideo Kojima and his Kojima Productions staff, and how they are going to drag the Metal Gear franchise through the mud via pachinko machines (that awesome looking Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater footage that is getting stuck in a pachinko machine instead of an fantastic PS4 game) and continuing the franchise with Kojima around.

I might try Fortnite down the road (several months after launch) depending on how it reviews and what people say about it, but as of now, I don't see myself playing it.

Edited by MossyOakRcn42
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...

Fortnite because Battle Royale.

On 21/06/2017 at 7:02 PM, MossyOakRcn42 said:

It pains me as a Metal Gear fan, but I will not be playing/purchasing Metal Gear Survive after everything that went down with Konami's crappy treatment of their employees, how they treated Hideo Kojima and his Kojima Productions staff, and how they are going to drag the Metal Gear franchise through the mud via pachinko machines (that awesome looking Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater footage that is getting stuck in a pachinko machine instead of an fantastic PS4 game) and continuing the franchise with Kojima around.

I might try Fortnite down the road (several months after launch) depending on how it reviews and what people say about it, but as of now, I don't see myself playing it.

Play the Battle Royale mode.

Edited by Kyle_Katarn_X

• 2 months later...

1 year later. Still waiting for the free story mode content....But since Battle Royale is doing so well, mind as well kiss those promised content goodbye for now.

• 2 months later...
On 6/21/2017 at 1:13 AM, rdhight said:

Pains me to say it, but it feels like "they both suck" is the only reasonable option here.

Metal Gear has one of the most convoluted, senseless stories in gaming. If you want to make a spinoff of that, but the only actual connection you care to make is that some nameless soldiers from one of the main entries got sucked through a wormhole to an alternate dimension... that does not bode well in any way whatsoever. As for the gameplay, according to people who have played it, they have managed to create an overly simplistic game with poor controls — while also giving you stamina, hunger, and thirst meters. I'm sure it will be a really fun experience when your buddy needs your help to fight the alternate-universe zombies with red spikes coming out of their face, but you can't go over to help him fast enough because you didn't drink enough water. Kill me now.

Meanwhile, it sounds like Fortnite is going to have some good stuff in there. The base-building looks addictive. But it also sounds like they decided to dump every horrible form of F2P garbage in a blender. Loot boxes, "cards," locked/randomized characters with long progressions for that collect-em-all aspect, all manner of rinky-dink exclusives, strange harvesting "gameplay" where you just walk around and chop things like in Minecraft... it doesn't look good. Then they take this collection of every known variety of F2P crap and do a paid Early Access release? I mean, it's Epic; I don't doubt that in the end certain aspects will be very well executed. But something is way, way wrong here.

Poor controls?  they copied the control and wheel system directly from MGSV which was considered to be top notch.   Metal Gear Survive isn't that bad of a game.  It's just people crying about kojima because they feel like they know him.  In reality kojima wouldn't piss on them if they were on fire.   Talk about star struck and for a video game producer.  "Ohhh boo hoo they dissed kojima so bad."