L.A. Noire remaster Realeases November 14

snakebit10

12 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

You do realise that "Whore Of The Orient" was one of the nicknames of Shanghai back in those days, right?

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here. Just because that was "the way things were" doesn't mean people would be happy with it now, just like any other derogatory name that is now confined to the history books. They could even reduce that to a subtitle like "Shanghai: Whore of the Orient" and then they could market it as "Shanghai" and the let the controversy swirl without the need to change anything before production.

2 minutes ago, ElyssarArFeiniel said:

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here. Just because that was "the way things were" doesn't mean people would be happy with it now, just like any other derogatory name that is now confined to the history books. They could even reduce that to a subtitle like "Shanghai: Whore of the Orient" and then they could market it as "Shanghai" and the let the controversy swirl without the need to change anything before production.

The point I'm trying to make is that the name isn't random but it's historically relevant. Don't know what controversy you're imagining but there hasn't been any about the name, and it was a working title at that so who knows what the final name would have been.

You can bet they would never title a game Whore of the Orient. Do I have a problem with the title? No.

But all those upset mother's that have to buy it for their 13 year old shit head? Yeah, you just know they'll love the idea of their child being exposed to whores (without doing any research at all)...

"Hey mom, can you buy me Whore of the Orient???"

"WHAT WHAT WHAT? WHAT DID YOU JUST CALL ME YOUNG MAN."

11 minutes ago, Valyrious said:

You can bet they would never title a game Whore of the Orient. Do I have a problem with the title? No.

But all those upset mother's that have to buy it for their 13 year old shit head? Yeah, you just know they'll love the idea of their child being exposed to whores (without doing any research at all)...

"Hey mom, can you buy me Whore of the Orient???"

"WHAT WHAT WHAT? WHAT DID YOU JUST CALL ME YOUNG MAN."

That scenario makes me love the name even more actually xD

Call me old-fashioned but I think LA Noire, GTA and the likes aren't meant for kids. I know, I know, I was young too once... I think. But it just strikes me as weird when I pick up a game from the store and I hear a parent getting their kid GTA V or Call Of Duty because their friends are playing it too.

• Like 1

"Disgrace" "racially insensitive", and actually more upset with the word Orient than Whore

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/movies/racially-insensitive-computer-game-faces-challenge-over-title-20130901-2syu0.html

You are completely delusional to think it won't be debated endlessly because of the title, regardless of the content. I doubt even Team Bondi planned to release it under that title. I'm not even trying to say it shouldn't be, all I'm saying is it would be.

20 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

That scenario makes me love the name even more actually xD

Call me old-fashioned but I think LA Noire, GTA and the likes aren't meant for kids. I know, I know, I was young too once... I think. But it just strikes me as weird when I pick up a game from the store and I hear a parent getting their kid GTA V or Call Of Duty because their friends are playing it too.

It is weird, but who am I to judge? I was 7 years old and I played great games like Unreal, Doom, Quake, Duke Nukem. And then at the tender age of 13, Conker's Bad Fur Day released and ruined my childhood in the best way possible.

And then played Rockstar's Manhunt at 15.

I really can't judge what kids play nowadays.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, ElyssarArFeiniel said:

"Disgrace" "racially insensitive", and actually more upset with the word Orient than Whore

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/movies/racially-insensitive-computer-game-faces-challenge-over-title-20130901-2syu0.html

You are completely delusional to think it won't be debated endlessly because of the title, regardless of the content. I doubt even Team Bondi planned to release it under that title. I'm not even trying to say it shouldn't be, all I'm saying is it would be.

My bad, I didn't know we lowered the bar for "controversy" to include "anyone objecting to anything". Controversy generally needs a little more debate than that. Probably would have become an issue if the title had come closer to release but as I already said, it was a working title.

And complaining about "Orient"... So we're going to rename "Murder On The Orient Express" as well now?

I understand there would have been a fair bit of trouble eventually but I'm saying I understand why the title was chosen and I personally think it was fitting, even if it would not have been the final title.

17 minutes ago, Valyrious said:

It is weird, but who am I to judge? I was 7 years old and I played great games like Unreal, Doom, Quake, Duke Nukem. And then at the tender age of 13, Conker's Bad Fur Day released and ruined my childhood in the best way possible.

And then played Rockstar's Manhunt at 15.

I really can't judge what kids play nowadays.

Yeah, true, I guess. I played Conker too and I saw a fair bit of violent movies when I was "too" young. I mostly remember South Park ruining me. You unckle fucker.

P.S. playing through the game again now for the platinum (it was my second completion on X360) and I now remember I put the display options on black and white, which I recommend to everyone.

Edited by BillyHorrible
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

P.S. playing through the game again now for the platinum (it was my second completion on X360) and I now remember I put the display options on black and white, which I recommend to everyone.

Because you want to make it as authentic to the time as possible? :P

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Valyrious said:

Because you want to make it as authentic to the time as possible? :P

Something like that, yeah. I can remember for Tiny Toons - Buster Busts Loose that I as a kid actually put the television on black and white for the western level xD

It feels really cool to play through L.A. Noire in black and white though, it really does. Right now it also helps to cover how much the game has aged (at least partially).

It's not always about authenticity though. I always watch The Mist in black and white; it just feels better that way, like it was supposed to be (King wrote about the story it was based on that it was meant as, paraphrased, one of those bad horror movies you used to watch at the drive-in with your lady, where you see the puppet's strings.

12 hours ago, Valyrious said:

Hate to break it to you, but the PS5 isn't coming until at least 2020. And even that's probably still too soon. Sony isn't feeling the need to rush into the next generation by any stretch of the imagination. Nor should they. Their success with this console is the best they've had in their entire history. 

Just think about what that means before you assume they'll make a new console just because of the Xbox One X.

Yes you're right but what i meant more is enough with the remasterds they have made a lot enough of them 

• 2 months later...
On 22/06/2017 at 0:04 AM, BillyHorrible said:

Not believing this story for a second. Red Dead Redemption has a better chance of being remastered thanks to the sequel coming up and I wouldn't buy that news item either without official confirmation.

Okay, ready to eat my words now.

Big surprise is that it's also coming to the Switch. Think I will get it on there so I can play it on the go but either way, cool stuff, LA Noire is one of the few games I just keep playing over, already on four playthroughs. Have it on PS3 now but I'm getting rid of that one eventually so either PS4 or Switch is good news.

On 21/06/2017 at 9:33 PM, Undead Wolf said:

My bullshit senses are tingling. :P There's no way this is real, but let's just pretend it is for a second.

Well, this didn't age well... :lol: Rockstar aren't usually the type to do something like this, so this announcement was a surprise. I'm glad I was wrong, though. Any excuse to play this game again is welcome. I doubt I'll get it on launch, but I'll definitely get it eventually.