Mahjong help

EternalChaos72

So even after reading the guide on here, i still don't get it. I'm basically trying to make pairs of the same meld. (is that what you call it?) I always end up calling chi. I've literally completed every other mini-game through blind luck, but this is causing me great difficulty. I really don't wanna give up this platinum as i have invested 131 hours into the game, and sitting at 95% for the completion trophy. My last resort is likely getting someone to Share Play with me. I really don't wanna do this as i feel like i'm cheating as someone is earning those Mahjong completion points for me. :( 

You know, when i first started up the game and went through the completion list and seen Mahjong completion points i knew i was destined to fail at this platinum. i've come this far now and don't wanna give up. My brain simply cannot comprehend Mahjong at all. Any help other than what the guide mentions? 

• Like 1

Mahjong is quite simple :)

You are trying to make 3 of things so you are either doing that by getting 3 of the same tile or getting a run of three. Now everything has to be in the same suit so you can't have 4-Bamboo, 5-Ball, 6-Character (I don't know what the real name is that is what I call it) you need to have 4-Bamboo, 5-Bamboo, 6-Bamboo. Now to win you have to get 4-3 Tile sets and 1-2 Tile sets

Now let us say you have 1-Bamboo and 2-Bamboo and someone other than the person before you plays 3-Bamboo....YOU CANNOT PICK THAT TILE UP...unless you can win.

If you have 2 2-Bamboo tiles and someone places a 3rd 2-bamboo tile then you CAN PICK IT EVEN IF IT IS NOT YOUR TURN (pong)

If it is the winning tile then you can pick it up regardless of whose turn it is (WU)

There are also things like Direction tiles and Dragon Tiles that can be matched up but unless you start the game with 2 matching tiles it is best to discard them as it is really hard to pick up 2 more matching tiles to make a set.

Now for actual points that is where it gets confusing. Only the person that goes out gets any points and they can boost their points with certain things. Being in the right direction, picking up the right tile instead of getting it from the discard, bonus tiles (and being in the right chair to use them) getting the Dragon collection, getting all the same sort of tiles, etc

:sigh: I know this was not the best explanation, if you were at my house and I could show you in person it would be so much better but this is the best I can do (being a very white person who only learned because my Taiwanese sister-in-law taught me). I have a much better time helping people earn the Velocity Ultra plat by helping them with Minesweeper ^_^

Edited by Dr_Mayus
  • Like 2

A bit too lazy to check the guides, but here is what I recommend to do if you're new to Reach Mahjong (JP Mahjong).

So you already know the point of the game is to form 4 sets of 3 (either 3 of the same tile or 3 in a row of the same suit) and 1 pair of the same tile. Now that you know that, don't call anything except Riichi (1 tile away from victory) and Tsumo (victory). Reach Mahjong penalizes you heavily if you open your hand (take a tile from someone's discard), so unless you know how to play, I recommend just avoiding that for now. Just throw out the tiles you need to throw out, and focus on getting lucky enough to complete your hand by yourself.

This is far from the best way to play, but it should be simple enough for newer player's to win a few games.

• Like 1

http://mahjong-europe.org/portal/images/docs/Riichi-rules-2016-EN.pdf

Give this a throughout read. It may seem like an overkill at first, but it's going to help.

Especially 3.3.10+ are sections you should pay most attention as they explain winning conditions.

In mahjong, there are many ways to win as blades mentioned as from what I heard, you need a win in all conditions so you should know what you should do to clear the requirement.

You can omit sections 4+ unless there is a points requirement.

Edited by Satoshi Ookami
  • Like 1

Sadly there's no "easy" way around this one, you'll have to learn how the game works at least to some extent.

For the sake of simplifying the game as well as improving your chances at getting a high point hand i'd second that you shouldn't be calling Chi until you really know what you're doing. You're not gonna complete your hand every round because your odds in a gambling game with 3 other players are about as bad as that sounds. The CPU will also get super bullshit hands leaving you wondering if you're doing something wrong when the truth is that they're just cheating.

Just keep playing and don't get discouraged. There's no time limits so think on your every move. The game will eventually click for you, at that point you'll be able to do it no problem.

Yeah this is still not working for me. i brought up a video guide for riichii ippatsu so i'm just gonna copy the guys hand pretty much, same with the full straight hand. 

A far as winning 10 mil CP goes i've no idea how i'm getting that :/ I only need the CP for mahjong then i finally have the perfectionist trophy. 

Edited by EternalChaos72

• 4 months later...

Starting to struggle with Mahjong myself, I've been sitting at this table for hours now and I still need to pull off Haneman, and Mangan 3 more times.

I've picked up on the rules somewhat but it's still really confusing and there's no end in sight for me :'(

Be sure to turn on doro tiles before game. They give you each 1 han to your score (tiles with red markings on it, i think it is on no.5). Also try to go for Richii Ipatsu every time you can for another 1-2 han. Another way is to try not use special tiles and no 1 neither 9 in your sets.

I had no experience in Mahjong prior to this game, and I'm no expert by far, but I completed these challenges in a couple of hours, and then again in Yakuza Kiwami quite easily. It just takes a bit of time. Here's how I approached it after looking at the basics in the guide.

For starters, I never called anything but riichi and ron unless I went for the full straight challenge, in which case I called chi when I needed 2 or 3 tiles. Only call Kan if you can make a set of 4 dragons or winds.

The problem with chi and pon is that they open your hand and give you less points. Even if you have a full hand you will likely not have any han because of this (unless you know exactly what you're doing all the time, which I really didn't). You need at least 1 han (if you set the "two han miminimum" setting off) to have a legitimate hand.

You can refer to the guide to see some easy ways to get a han.

Also keep an eye out for the red 5 tiles (put the setting "red dora" on). Having these in your melds give you extra points, which should help you with the haneman and mangan challenges.

I ignored some things that good players will definitely not ignore, but it got the challenges done. For starters I paid very little attention to the discards of the opponents. If you're good enough to keep track of it all, you should, because it will likely result in you giving away far less rons than me. There is also the wind directions and the dora indicators in the middle. It was a little too much for me to keep track of, and I'm not willing enough to learn to play the game above amateur level. Just focus on building your own hand and you will get these challenges done in a couple hours.

Also, don't get discouraged. The Yakuza minigames are rigged as hell sometimes. Just keep at it, or quit out and restart if it's not going anywhere.

Edited by Ric

30 minutes ago, EternalChaos72 said:

I don't know how to win other than calling Richii and then hopefully calling Tsumo. Probably explains why it took me forever to get the CPs.

Well yeah, the only way to win is by completing your hand via either pulling the last tile from the pile (Tsumo) or stealing it from another players discards (Ron). 

To clear up any potential misconceptions around the Riichi mechanic, it is by no means required to call Riichi to win. I’ve seen players assume it was due to the flashy button prompt but all it really means is that you’re giving up the opportunity to restructure your hand in order to get some bonus points. It can sometimes screw you over when playing with real players but that isn’t too much of a factor when playing against CPUs so just do it whenever you can anyway. 

Unless you just need the Riichi Ippatsu, in which case you may wish to skip one opportunity to call Riichi for the sake of changing up your hand so it can be completed more easily. For example, assuming your final uncompleted sequence is two green 3s, it’s fairly unlikely that the tile you need, which would be one of the two other green 3s still in play, will be discarded (or drawn by you) within the next turn by sheer laws of probability. So you might want to wait it out a bit and see if you draw a green 2 or 4, which would open up a lot more potential tiles to complete your hand and increasing your chances of getting that Riichi Ippatsu. 

• 3 months later...

I learned how to play it with Yakuza Kiwami and I went from being really annoyed with it, to learning it and ultimately really enjoying it. I can see how some people don't like the prospect of putting the same amount of hours into this as you would your average standalone indie game.

You kinda have to enjoy the idea of playing Mahjong to get along with the need to earn the platinum trophy I think. I'm more prepared to play it in Yakuza 0 now that i've started on that and from what I can see it's pretty much the same thing.

I have a great deal of respect for the Yakuza games and i've only played one fully. It has taught me more than most games have when it comes to the traditional games that are available to play and i'm grateful to come out of it on the other end learning something that has helped me understand the culture better.