Which version should I buy?

Hey, people of Eorzea! :D

I am going to be platinuming the PS4 version of this MMO for a race as one of my elite games. (I know it will take me a full year to do so as there are tons of grinds you have to do, but I'm up to the challenge! ^_^) So I have a question to ask...

I read the beginner's on-line guide so I know what I need to do, but first I need to buy the game. I saw the "starter pack" for FFXIV available on the PSN store for $29.99, but the complete edition on Square-Enix's site is $59.99 and has Heavensward and Stormblood. Now should I buy the complete edition, or is the "starter pack" good enough for getting the platinum? I know I could get the platinum without the expansions, but would it be easier to get the platinum with the expansions? Please respond ASAP as I will be purchasing the game once I get some money, which should be Tuesday at the earliest.

• Like 1

If you can order from Amazon, the version with Heavensward and ARR is $24, so I'd go for that as it's cheaper than your other two options. I can't advise you on the plat as I've only just renewed my sub, but if Stormblood isn't a necessity right now, I'd just get the bundle on Amazon.

Be prepared to free up nearly 70 gigs, though.

• Like 1

You dont need HW or SB for plat. and they wont help u either having them.

Also im pretty sure now you dont come close needing a year. Haha. I can probably do it in a month most a second time.

Edited by ERGOPROXY-DECAY

55 minutes ago, soultaker655 said:

Just download the free trial. It lets you play the game till level 35 for free. You won't earn any trophies during the trial, but as soon as buy the full game any trophies you have earned will pop.

Even so, I still cannot start playing, because it's part of the rules of a platinum race I am in - since it's one of the special games I declared, I cannot touch it until July 1st. Still, the free trial is interesting, it's just like demos on AAA titles before they come out, right? I'll look into that.

2 minutes ago, MidnightCJ said:

Even so, I still cannot start playing, because it's part of the rules of a platinum race I am in - since it's one of the special games I declared, I cannot touch it until July 1st. Still, the free trial is interesting, it's just like demos on AAA titles before they come out, right? I'll look into that.

That's not the rule actually. The rule states that you can't have a trophy earned in the game until July 1st so you could start playing the demo tomorrow and you wouldn't be breaking any rules.

Just now, Kent10201 said:

That's not the rule actually. The rule states that you can't have a trophy earned in the game until July 1st so you could start playing the demo tomorrow and you wouldn't be breaking any rules.

Thanks for letting me know that. I'll probably start install the free trial and get my game started tomorrow.

1 hour ago, ERGOPROXY-DECAY said:

You dont need HW or SB for plat. and they wont help u either having them.

Also im pretty sure now you dont come close needing a year. Haha. I can probably do it in a month most a second time.

An Adventurer's Life takes at least 167 days since you only get an allowance of 6 leves per day and you need to do 1000.

Goodluck with this Cj, from memory you need to buy an additional 2/3 months of subscriptions to finish enough levequests. 

I would recommend finding someone to play with (and possibly) to dump some money/gear as early as possible. Will be interested to follow your progress, I toy with the idea of going back to this but it is really a major commitment for at least 2 months

• Like 1

It's worth playing even after you platinum it. If you're a Final Fantasy fan, you'll eventually get sucked into the story like with any of the offline entries. ARR has a pretty basic plot that pays a lot of homage to the first five games or so. Right before Heavensward it really picks up the pace and becomes more like VI and XII. I used to be one of those ignorant people who said "FFXI isn't a real Final Fantasy" just because it was online. Since FFXIV is so easy to pick up and play on console I decided to give it a go and I'm glad I did! But now I also feel bad for missing out on FFXI.

7 minutes ago, Virdeborn said:

It's worth playing even after you platinum it. If you're a Final Fantasy fan, you'll eventually get sucked into the story like with any of the offline entries. ARR has a pretty basic plot that pays a lot of homage to the first five games or so. Right before Heavensward it really picks up the pace and becomes more like VI and XII. I used to be one of those ignorant people who said "FFXI isn't a real Final Fantasy" just because it was online. Since FFXIV is so easy to pick up and play on console I decided to give it a go and I'm glad I did! But now I also feel bad for missing out on FFXI.

Thanks for the advice, Virdeborn. I have gone through several Youtube video guides and suchnot and am fully confident to tackling the demo. (I'm looking into the Amazon bundle now - I have to have my dad spend the money for it because I don't have an Amazon account.) I just need a bit more to download the demo. Thanks to everyone for their advice, the thread can be closed now. ;)

For the brief time I'll be on the demo, I plan on create a conjurer and spend time out-of-battle by doing the various quests to get to Level 30 in Disciples of the Land and Disciples of the Hand. This will net a lot of trophies when I get the full game.

Edited by MidnightCJ

Conjurer/WHM is kind of tricky to play with a controller though (the PS4 version has mouse and keyboard support too though). Also, WHM has been nerfed so hard with the latest update. I'd advice you to go with Arcanist who can then become a Scholar at level 30 (you can also become a Summoner at that point with the same class, it's unique in that it lets you choose whether you want to advance as a DPS or Healer as Arcanists do a little bit of both I believe). Although once you reach Heavensward, you will unlock the Astrologian job. If you want to to main as a Healer, WHM is currently the least powerful of them all.

15 hours ago, Milktastrophe said:

An Adventurer's Life takes at least 167 days since you only get an allowance of 6 leves per day and you need to do 1000.

Oh wow, totally forgot about that nasty trophy. Im surprised they havent upped the allowances now.  Is it still only 6 a day? Im about to burn my 99 leves saved up on SB crafting. D:

5 hours ago, Virdeborn said:

Conjurer/WHM is kind of tricky to play with a controller though (the PS4 version has mouse and keyboard support too though). Also, WHM has been nerfed so hard with the latest update. I'd advice you to go with Arcanist who can then become a Scholar at level 30 (you can also become a Summoner at that point with the same class, it's unique in that it lets you choose whether you want to advance as a DPS or Healer as Arcanists do a little bit of both I believe). Although once you reach Heavensward, you will unlock the Astrologian job. If you want to to main as a Healer, WHM is currently the least powerful of them all.

Was going to start with Arcanist but the guides warned me that I'd be a DPS until I promote to Scholar and people won't queue up with DPS guys. Oh well, I could always do the main story until I hit Level 30 and just do quests and no dungeons. Also, I do plan on spending the trial mode on getting up to Level 35 in both Disciples jobs so I get a lot of crafting and gathering trophies popped when I buy the game on July 1st so I won't be fighting as much during the week.

Is it true that trophies do not pop during the free trial? Because if they do, then I will have a big fat chocobo egg on my face as this game can't have any trophies pop before July 1 on my account.

Edited by MidnightCJ

8 minutes ago, MidnightCJ said:

Is it true that trophies do not pop during the free trial?

Trophies do not pop on tbe trial. Once u sub and do one thing from those category the trophies will pop.

1 minute ago, ERGOPROXY-DECAY said:

Trophies do not pop on tbe trial. Once u sub and do one thing from those category the trophies will pop.

Okay, thanx. I should be okay to dabble then. :D

(It'll take an hour and a half to download the trial so I will try to get a screenshot of my character when it's ready.)

On 2017-06-27 at 1:32 AM, MidnightCJ said:

Was going to start with Arcanist but the guides warned me that I'd be a DPS until I promote to Scholar and people won't queue up with DPS guys. Oh well, I could always do the main story until I hit Level 30 and just do quests and no dungeons.

I'm DPS and while it's true wait times are a bit longer, it's nothing too bad. Worst case scenario is you'll have to wait for 15-30 minutes (you can always do other quests meanwhile). Especially not when I can just ask my fellow FC members to help me out, should I not be able to get something done in a reasonable amount of time otherwise. Even if you start out as a DPS, you'd only be doing early dungeons anyway (of which there aren't that many).

Thanks for all the advice. I have the free trial downloaded and installed and they installed the Stormblood patch. The game is great! I am playing as a Mi'qote Arcanist and am now at Level 11 and exploring the area around Limsa Lominsa, I've activated all of Limsa's Aethereyte shards and have gotten a bit into the story. It's really really fun. I'm starting to have to start casting Physick(my healing spell) to keep alive and working with the Emerald Carbuncle is beautiful, he takes hits and I support him while he attacks. ^_^

Already got my first instance battle and it was pretty tough - the adds kept aggro on me, but the NPC healer helped out and took out the boss. :D This is already a great game. I plan on just doing story quests and side quests until I either hit Level 30 or purchase the starter pack this Saturday and start earning trophies on the game. (I don't plan on getting Heavensward or Stormblood until I earn the platinum, which will probably take a few months. I will have plenty to do like getting Level 50 in all of the Disciples of the Land/Hand classes(because some trophies will require me to craft and gather 1000 of something anyways), which I won't dabble with until I end the free trial because I want to earn trophies while leveling up those classes, and getting through the main story.

One more question: Do I get a free month of membership if I buy the starter pack on-line or do I have to spend my money on the physical copy? I know I am going to have to pony up a lot of moolah to buy cards to extend my membership by a few months but will I have to buy some game time before I can install the actual game? I just need to know - I have $60 in cold cash and have to know if I need to spend that money when I get the actual game or if I can wait a month and spend it then.

I signed onto Diablos because this Youtube community called Brainscratch has a great Free Company there and I wanted to join them whenever they do runs of the Binding Coils because, yes, you have to do those insanely cheap dungeons to get a trophy. From what I saw from their video streams of the Binding Coils of Bahamut, it is NOT going to be a cakewalk. :P

6 minutes ago, MidnightCJ said:

I signed onto Diablos because this Youtube community called Brainscratch has a great Free Company there and I wanted to join them whenever they do runs of the Binding Coils because, yes, you have to do those insanely cheap dungeons to get a trophy. From what I saw from their video streams of the Binding Coils of Bahamut, it is NOT going to be a cakewalk. :P

One of my friends is on that server. And yeah those raids are pretty crazy, definitely require research before you do them lol

• 2 weeks later...
On 2017-06-28 at 10:19 PM, MidnightCJ said:

Do I get a free month of membership if I buy the starter pack on-line or do I have to spend my money on the physical copy?

Yes. It says so in the product description on the PlayStation store.

On 2017-06-28 at 10:26 PM, MidnightCJ said:

You only need to beat Turn 5 for the trophy. You can do it unsynched, which can most certainly turn it into a cakewalk. But honestly, it's not that hard if everyone who's doing it have watched a video tutorial beforehand. And sometimes it also depends on the healers and the tanks. If they know what they're doing, they can usually pick up a lot of the slack from inexperienced DPS'.