Up on PSN for only $0.98

FielVeredus

Just now, mcnichoj said:

Doesn't matter if it's random. Visual novels are still games even though you just click on words and those words will always lead to the same pre-determined words. Rhythm games are always the same with their notes. Even the Mario games follow a very strict and pre-determined formula where you can get a bot to run through the levels perfectly on a loop.

Well...

I didn't say that it wasn't a game, just that I don't think it's a real puzzle game if it's just the same three sets of swaps. In my opinion it should either be random or have a lot more puzzle swaps before it can genuinely be called a puzzle game, and not just a light snack in between "real" stuff.

I disagree with the opinion that a visual novel is a game. I'd say it could count as a game if there's different options to be chosen, but if it's literally clicking through the pieces of text without any choices then it's not a game, it's literally a digital novel, so it's a novel and not a game. I have played a few visual novels myself that have choices to be made and I've done some Telltale as well (and Late Shift, not as much a game as it is literally an interactive movie) and personally I think there's different degrees of 'game'. At the bottom is stuff where you only have to input a few choices at select times and you're done, at the top is the stuff that takes effort to master.

Rhythm games and Mario games are a much higher degree of game than this 'three swap puzzles with 1K different pictures' thing. A lot more effort went into it by the developers, and a lot more effort goes into it by the gamers who want to master the games. I know I'm not good enough for any of the Guitar Hero platinums.

Also, a picture swap game or hidden object game or sudoku game really needs either randomness or a decent library of puzzles. Mario games might not be random but there's a ton of levels in each of them, same goes for rhythm games (I'm guessing, have not played much of those except for Guitar Hero games).

17 minutes ago, mcnichoj said:

No, I'm pointing out that a game that is played on your video screen is still a video game regardless how simple or easy you think it is. Does BioShock magically stop being a video game during the sliding puzzle hack sequences?

Platform is also irrelevant. A console game can be put on mobile and vice versa. As long as it works with the controls. Devs have sold games for much more than this title and they don't even work beyond the start screen.

As for all those companies, they've done way worse underhanded shit to ruin the industry. Hey if Capcom released a Megaman Legacy Sliding Puzzle Collection or an RE4 one then maybe everyone would stop complaining how those didn't get platinums.

[Insert joke about how most people would rather play an Assassins Creed Puzzle game over the mess that was Unity.]

I find this is comparable to Megamind because while the "draw" to this is trophies, the mindset behind both was to steal peoples money. At least this was a dollar while I imagine Megamind was probably retail price originally. While a few people probably played Megamind with their kids or because maybe the off chance they really liked the movie, 99% of everyone else that plat'd the game did it solely for the plat. Movie tie in games are probably the bigger of two evils. You get these AAA companies that get the rights and they know people will settle for shit games so they give the devs a shit budget so they can shit out a shit game and make a shit load of profit. This does us a greater disservice as someone that might legitimately like a movie and will only have the option of getting essentially a watered down retelling of the movie with some random enemies slapped in and filler content to pad out the game time. Some amazing games have been made from commercial IPs but we can't get those more often because they know they don't need to.

Someone could make the argument but you're making a very poor one.

Ok then, let's just call everything interactive on a screen a video game then. Because technically they are. Your PS home screen is a game, your DVD menu is a game, DTV applications are games. Your arguments are poor (actually they're not that poor from your side of the spectrum, but I guess we just call each others arguments poor now because we need to win a forum warrior duel).

1 hour ago, mcnichoj said:

You got mad over me belittling you for belittling others. History will remember that I was in the right.

I guess it will......... or maybe not....

All silliness aside, we just don't agree. I think we've both said enough to voice our opinions, no use in dragging this on.

9 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

Well...

I didn't say that it wasn't a game, just that I don't think it's a real puzzle game if it's just the same three sets of swaps. In my opinion it should either be random or have a lot more puzzle swaps before it can genuinely be called a puzzle game, and not just a light snack in between "real" stuff.

I disagree with the opinion that a visual novel is a game. I'd say it could count as a game if there's different options to be chosen, but if it's literally clicking through the pieces of text without any choices then it's not a game, it's literally a digital novel, so it's a novel and not a game. I have played a few visual novels myself that have choices to be made and I've done some Telltale as well (and Late Shift, not as much a game as it is literally an interactive movie) and personally I think there's different degrees of 'game'. At the bottom is stuff where you only have to input a few choices at select times and you're done, at the top is the stuff that takes effort to master.

Rhythm games and Mario games are a much higher degree of game than this 'three swap puzzles with 1K different pictures' thing. A lot more effort went into it by the developers, and a lot more effort goes into it by the gamers who want to master the games. I know I'm not good enough for any of the Guitar Hero platinums.

Also, a picture swap game or hidden object game or sudoku game really needs either randomness or a decent library of puzzles. Mario games might not be random but there's a ton of levels in each of them, same goes for rhythm games (I'm guessing, have not played much of those except for Guitar Hero games).

I can reply to any number of things but I'll just highlight your own contradiction. So if this had 2,000 images then would it be a "real' game?

9 hours ago, Ric said:

Ok then, let's just call everything interactive on a screen a video game then. Because technically they are. Your PS home screen is a game, your DVD menu is a game, DTV applications are games.

Video games have goals to complete.

3 minutes ago, mcnichoj said:

I can reply to any number of things but I'll just highlight your own contradiction. So if this had 2,000 images then would it be a "real' game?

Nope, not a contradiction because  it's not about the number of pictures at all but the number of solutions. There's just three different swap puzzles in the game, so solve once, solve them all. They could have had just one picture for all I care, it would have been more of a "real" game if the starting setup would have been random.

Compare a book with fifty pages of sudoku puzzles to the first page copied fifty times.

6 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

Nope, not a contradiction because  it's not about the number of pictures at all but the number of solutions. There's just three different swap puzzles in the game, so solve once, solve them all. They could have had just one picture for all I care, it would have been more of a "real" game if the starting setup would have been random.

Compare a book with fifty pages of sudoku puzzles to the first page copied fifty times.

I don't own the game but is every difficulty actually jumbled up the same way? Regardless, ease of the game or repetition does not dictate what's real.

3 minutes ago, mcnichoj said:

I don't own the game but is every difficulty actually jumbled up the same way? Regardless, ease of the game or repetition does not dictate what's real.

Every difficulty has its own starting order, that's why I said "three puzzles" a few posts ago.

And "real" is just an opinion, I also think Visual Novels with zero choices or interaction (so just browsing through text) are not real games but there are enough people willing to disagree with me.

On 6/28/2017 at 2:07 PM, NetEntity said:

On 6/28/2017 at 2:07 PM, NetEntity said:

I'll just... leave it here...

Sony removed it, so fuck you Jim for your now outdated piece of shit video.

People still spend money on trophies anyway though. That'll never change.

22 hours ago, iedaraphael said:

Yup, the game page was completely removed.

I'm so bummed I didn't get to play that masterpiece.

Edit: Joke aside, developer replied my message and said it was pulled by Sony because they want him to change the game's name (probably the description too).

Look on the bright side... Five star 1000 top rated will probably become Generic Puzzle Slider complete with its separate trophy list. Meaning people that have no shame can double dip and get a second platinum for a buck. (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Edited by Valyrious

12 hours ago, mcnichoj said:

Video games have goals to complete.

So do my examples. Starting a game/application/store/etc, starting a movie, do whatever the application is meant to do respectively.

You can make the concept of a video game as big as you want, but in my opinion this puzzle app is no video game, neither is stuff like I am Mayo.

Also I'm not saying that nobody can buy it, I'm not stopping anyone from buying it (apparently Sony already did now). I'm just saying that I think people SHOULDn't be buying it and explain why I think that. This is a forum, people give opinions here.

Edited by Ric

18 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

I thought kinetic novels were a subtype of visual novel?

They are. But if someone mentions 'Visual Novel', very few people mean Kinetic Novels as well.

So if you are talking to someone and they mention VN, you should automatically presume they mean game with choices. So, with your criteria, games :P

On 6/29/2017 at 4:01 PM, Valyrious said:

Sony removed it, so fuck you Jim for your now outdated piece of shit video.

People still spend money on trophies anyway though. That'll never change.

Look on the bright side... Five star 1000 top rated will probably become Generic Puzzle Slider complete with its separate trophy list. Meaning people that have no shame can double dip and get a second platinum for a buck. (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

You call Jim's video outdated then follow up with an already debunked theory. They confirmed no new list and that it is coming back with a modified name and store description that isn't allowed to only mention trophies.

2 hours ago, mcnichoj said:

You call Jim's video outdated then follow up with an already debunked theory. They confirmed no new list and that it is coming back with a modified name and store description that isn't allowed to only mention trophies.

The last part of my post was laced with sarcasm. You shouldn't take it seriously. Although it does make me happy that they're not that stupid to do another list.

Great idea for trophy sluts though. Pay to pad them phat stats! It's the trophy form of pay to win, but for $1 who can go wrong?

8 hours ago, CuteBoringLove said:

Platinum or not. I thought My Name is Mayo was interesting

The only interesting thing about My Name is Mayo is how many people rush to its defence. The people who played it knew what they were doing, so lets not pretend it was because they thought it looked like a decent game. :P

On 7/2/2017 at 0:24 PM, Undead Wolf said:

The only interesting thing about My Name is Mayo is how many people rush to its defence. The people who played it knew what they were doing, so lets not pretend it was because they thought it looked like a decent game. :P

I bought it because it was 99 cents. I didn't even know it had a platinum. It looked quirky and interesting and was really cheap, so I bought it.

17 hours ago, CuteBoringLove said:

I bought it because it was 99 cents. I didn't even know it had a platinum. It looked quirky and interesting and was really cheap, so I bought it.

I find it very hard to believe that someone with 98 platinums and 83% completion bought My Name is Mayo without even checking the trophy list, lol.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Undead Wolf said:

I find it very hard to believe that someone with 98 platinums and 83% completion bought My Name is Mayo without even checking the trophy list, lol.

Why exactly? I bought 1000 Top Rated without barely glancing at the list. 

It's 98 cents for a reason or cheap for a reason when it comes off the sale or back onto the market at around $2.50 something.

2 minutes ago, Combatting said:

It's 98 cents for a reason or cheap for a reason when it comes off the sale or back onto the market at around $2.50 something.

Unless they changed it the store description of this game said nothing other than that it was a free platinum, the gameplay wasn't even mentioned. So unless didn't look at the description either it's unlikely.

1 minute ago, Combatting said:

Because it means they clearly care about trophies and you don't get a completion percentage that high by playing any game just because it's cheap. I mean we're on a trophy tracking website, so yes, I find it hard to believe someone who's that dedicated to trophies wouldn't take the two seconds required to look at the trophy list on here. I'm pretty sure every serious trophy hunter knows what kind of games these are anyway.

Ignoring the "without barely glancing" part (so you did look at it then), the game literally advertised itself as "the world's fastest platinum trophy" or whatever in the store description. Don't try and tell me that you didn't know. :P

Just now, Undead Wolf said:

Because it means they clearly care about trophies and you don't get a completion percentage that high by playing any game just because it's cheap. I mean we're on a trophy tracking website, so yes, I find it hard to believe someone who's that dedicated to trophies wouldn't take the two seconds required to look at the trophy list on here. I'm pretty sure every serious trophy hunter knows what kind of games these are anyway.

Ignoring the "without barely glancing" part (so you did look at it then), the game literally advertised itself as "the world's fastest platinum trophy" or whatever in the store description. Don't try and tell me that you didn't know. :P

I only glanced at the list as they pop up when syncing or when you are in the games section :)

Also, I never look at the descriptions in the store as I mostly go physical when I can :) When I do go into the store, I just add it to cart and move on.