Snake Pass: game thoughts thread

Oobedoob S Benubi

Saw there wasn't a 'game thoughts' thread yet. For once, I'm creating one where I'm not asking for thoughts because I want to buy the game myself - I just bought it (on the Switch, 40% off sale).

I played for a bit (two levels) and I think it's really cool and a bit weird.

I really like it so far. I appreciate the effort that went into having us control a snake with snake-like movements. I can see how some people get frustrated by the controls but I think it's loads of fun. Definitely worth it for people who, like me, enjoy platformers that try to do something different.

You move pretty slowly but that gets compensated by having everything in the levels close to each other, so you don't need to traverse big distances. Pretty good thinking, that.

... And yeah, I've put the facial expression to big smile xD.

• Like 2

I think it's a fantastic concept. Honestly I never would have imagined I'd get a game like this 10 years ago. I think it's brilliant that stuff like this can be made. 

The game itself is one a genuinely enjoy. I'm beginning to get to area's which require real skill & accuracy, that after a few drinks or a long day are hard to get a handle on. I feel I need to play it while I'm still wide awake & fully functioning, not at 2am after my 5th drink. So that cuts into my play time with it a lot. 

All in all its a great game at it's price point, particularly since it's already going on sale everywhere. Definitely not quite as relaxing as it looks but really fun to play. I adore moving around as a snake, I think his animations are fantastic & he's a cute boy.

I'm definitely going to put the time in to finish it & hopefully eventually get that Platinum. 

*Big smile expressions only*

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

How can you not love a big cartoonish looking snake by the name of Noodles? :D

While I enjoy the looks of the game and the fact that it is something new, the controls and glitchy trophies are really annoying. The whole mechanic of wrapping Noodles around poles to get anywhere is quite challenging because the camera angle keeps changing a little bit and the analog stick direction doesn't put the snake's head to the place you want it to go. For normal poles you have enough time to adjust that and it's just a minor inconvienence but later when you have moving platforms with poles you need to get to, that is really annoying!

As for the trophies I remember having met the criteria for a couple of trophies and they didn't unlock (for example Rocket Snake). Then later in the game when I was climbing up a wall by lifting Noodles' head it unlocked all of the sudden.

If the controls were a little better I'd really enjoy it a lot more and wouldn't put the game in my backlog as it is now.

Edited by iAlphaSoldier
  • Like 1

• 3 years later...

I'm on level 7 out of 15, and my current feelings are: it's a delightful game, but yeah, the controls sometimes don't work as well as they should. It's mostly consistent, but there are definitely times when Noodle doesn't grip things properly, or when gravity suddenly works against you (or in your favour). Even slithering doesn't seem to pick up speed consistently. Also, having to hold R2 and X and L2 and use both analog sticks is giving me hand cramps. 

Everything else is fantastic. I love the setting, the graphics, the music, and of course the character design. Perhaps my experience with the controls will improve (if it doesn't worsen), but right now I'm thinking this is definitely a one-level-a-session kind of game.