If you have never played this...make it a point to do so.

Wade_VC

I've been considering this, but i've heard the game crashs/freezes alot on people, unless those are just the people with phat ps3's

I for one have had very few issues with this game. I have heard that the DLC's for it are prone to crashing/freezing however.

• 3 weeks later...

I had this game ages ago and just couldn't get into it, i was on 6% for about 3 years. I then bought the GOTY edition cheap and decided to give it another chance & by am i glad i did. I got the platt and 100% a few months ago and have since bout the GOTY edition of Fallout New Vegas although iv not started it yet. Only bad thing about Fallout 3 was the constant crashing it caused my ps3 other than that great game & i look forward to getting stuck into New Vegas sometime soon.

I had this game ages ago and just couldn't get into it, i was on 6% for about 3 years. I then bought the GOTY edition cheap and decided to give it another chance & by am i glad i did. I got the platt and 100% a few months ago and have since bout the GOTY edition of Fallout New Vegas although iv not started it yet. Only bad thing about Fallout 3 was the constant crashing it caused my ps3 other than that great game & i look forward to getting stuck into New Vegas sometime soon.

I absolutely loved this game. I don't know what it was, but I just got a kick out of searching the ruins looking for little treasures and stuff that could help me in my adventure. I guess it just appealled to the collector/hoarder in me. While I admit the freezing and crashing did annoy me a bit, I must say it isn't the only game to have froze up on me and I guess I got lucky cos it didn't do it as often as some folk claim happened to them.

• 5 months later...

Now see, oddly enough, I have heard others say the same thing, but I can say that I have had absolutely no issues with crashing or freezing playing this game. I have not played any of the DLC, so I can not comment on those, but the main game itself I have had no issues whatsoever.

I have to note that when I first got this game, there was no trophy support, and that patch didn't arrive until I was at about 80% complete, and I had no desire to restart the game and throw away all the invested time just for the trophies. I may replay it again at some point to earn the trophies however.

...I wonder, could the crashes and freezes have something to do with the trophies/trophy support??

The frame rate and freezing problems come from your save file size. I didn't have any problems either until late in the main game. The closer your save file gets to 10 MB the more likely you are to have problems. I didn't start having problems until my save file reached 9 MB. There are other things that cause problems like companions, energy weapons, auto-saving, V.A.T.S.... the list goes on and on. There are some short term fixes that I've found on other sites, but but once I manage to finish the game with my big save file, I plan on going back the dlc with older smaller saves.

I found this advice thread very useful for some the bugs I've encountered so far.

How long would you say this game would take to 100% if i bought the GOTY edition (which has all dlc)?

I've been considering this, but i've heard the game crashs/freezes alot on people, unless those are just the people with phat ps3's

I've finished all but one main quest, all trophy related side quests and two dlc. I only have a few collectibles left for plat and I'm currently around the 70 hour mark. By guestimation, I'd say that I'd need about 20-30 more hours to 100%. Bare in mind that a veteran player could mop this game quickly where a Fallout newbie like me is gonna need a lot more time. :)

I have a slim and I've had a few freezes so its not just limited to phatties.

Edited by Rowdi

• 1 year later...

This game is and will always have a special place in my heart. It is an RPG players best friend for which I love Bethesda for. The story is so interesting and the companions, whether good or bad, are so likable. It really pulls you in and makes you explore every nook and cranny. I found myself finding new things everywhere I went. New Vegas was a great game as well though I never played the DLC's for that one. Overall I LOVE this game. I can't wait for Fallout 4 (I think it will be called Fallout 4, not sure yet.) It will be an amazing game!

• Like 3

This game was my first real FPS RPG thingamajigger game.

It made no sense, and was completely immersing. I have to say that unless you as a player character start to care for what happens in the game. You will never understand the charm of it. I mean it's so random how you may find a death claw then out of nowhere Soldiers will come out and help you and then walk away. Or vice versa, you're fighting mercenaries and then a random death claw appears and kills them all.

It's compelling a gaming experience. And no matter how many times you play/beat it it will never have the same moments. It's always something different.

• 1 year later...
  • 6 years later...
On 11/04/2015 at 1:55 AM, playdemos1 said:

"The graphics are, as to be expected, absolutely excellent"

*Reading this in 2015*

*Heavy Breathing*

*Saw that the topic was created in 2011*

*Uffffff*

ahah indeed a excellent game without doubt when was released.

Lmao 

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • 6 months later...
On 11/19/2021 at 11:40 PM, iXanon said:

10 years later.. I decided it was finally time that I experience this ?

I've been largely putting it off because I played through Oblivion on X360 and didn't really enjoy it.. We'll see how it goes!

7 months later... how did it go?

2 minutes ago, TheSlyGCooper said:

After hearing all the horror stories, I'm tempted just to play them on PC. 1f602.png

For New Vegas DLC, I’d recommend it.

Great game - but on PS3, the DLCs were one of the most complicated Powerpoint Presentations I’ve ever tried to navigate!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TheSlyGCooper said:

After hearing all the horror stories, I'm tempted just to play them on PC. 1f602.png

51 minutes ago, black__bunny said:

Finally started Fallout 3 this month after years of it being in my backlog. 

Really enjoying it and have had minimal freezing issues so far. Haven't attempted the dlc but main game is excellent

I read a trick a while back for Fallout 3. It starts locking up when the save file gets too big, but you can multiple save files to get around it.  Never actually tried it though

Yeah, in this day and age it's a HARD PASS playing these on PS3, thankfully I already owned all the Bethesda stuff Digital (don't remember buying it though lol) on Xbox and having Oblivion/Fallout 3 running at 4k/60fps on Xbox Series X is a HUGE IMPROVEMENT. No 4k for Fallout New Vegas but it did get an "FPS Boost" to run at 60fps, again HUGE IMPROVEMENT.

Don't bother with these games on PS3 these days if you can (even though Oblivion runs perfectly fine on PS3, the only game that does btw, it sadly doesn't have Trophys)

Edited by MRR---OFFICIAL