MosesRockefeller's Backlog

57 minutes ago, Shiny Suicune said:

That's an interesting response to the Jack The Ripper DLC. I,o n the other hand, loved the fact you get him at all. A Victorian based game better have the most notorious killer they had. I for one is a huge fan of him. The elusiveness of his character and not knowing what is name is or where he came from made it perfect for the Assassins game. I never played any other AC game as this was my official first one. I thought it was perfect with those sequences cause again he is very mysterious. Investigating his crime scenes with none other than Inspector Abberline was awesome. Yes I am also glad they didn't show the women because it was very grotesque. Other then that I thought the DLC was perfect. It couldn't have been any better.

BTW...... #TeamJacobFrye lol

I get what you're saying, and I respect your opinion, but I still disagree. I think in a series that takes "Assassins" and makes them the heroes, there is a disconnect between real-life murder by historical figures, and in-game murder being done by Jacob and Evie. I think that Ubisoft was trying to make a artistic statement, but it didn't work IMO.

I also think that Jack the Ripper has been romanticized by people over the years. I liked one comment I read on a review of the DLC, where the poster basically said that Jack wasn't some evil genius that dodged the police. He could have been pretty much anyone. His victims were poor women working in a profession where they operated outside legal boundaries. It wasn't especially difficult for him to avoid detection given the circumstances. I think the less attention given to that degenerate person, the better.

Spoiler

As I said before, I found it very disturbing that you could play as Jack, and his "fear assassinate" animation was so brutal. I do think Ubisoft made the right decision to do the investigation from Evie's perspective, since Jack's victims were all women. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't all bad. But I think it crossed the boundaries of good taste.

Also, I don't actually hate Jacob Frye. I just liked Evie a lot better, and this was the first time the series has had a female player character in a main entry game. I have played all the AC games in order (I haven't played Origns yet, or a few of the spin-off games). My opinions of the series are not typical of most fans. Most fans will tell you Ezio was the best character but I found him pretty boring. I thought Syndicate was great. I just wish the DLC had been about a different event and historical figure.

Well, I finished New Super Mario Bros. U + New Super Luigi U a few days ago. And by finished, I mean I did the bare minimum to get to the normal end boss fight with Bowser. I did not even get all the star medals in the first world in order to unlock the first bonus world stage. I also did not bother playing the New Super Luigi U DLC, which is basically the same game but with the levels being shorter, harder speedruns. First of all, I don't like speedruns, and second of all, I got sick of the game.

First off, credit where credit is due. I liked the final boss battle with Bowser. He is assisted by Bowser Jr (who is ironically the key to defeating Bowser), which was a cool touch and one of the few interesting ideas in the game. The game is competent and I didn't notice any glitches. However, the problem for me is that it wasn't very charming or fun. It is the 4th game in the New Super Mario Bros series, and it shows. It's polished to a fine point, but it doesn't do much that is new or interesting. Towards the end I just wanted to get through it and move on.

By contrast, I spent this past weekend playing Super Mario Galaxy (I had left off part way through the second "World" of planets a long time ago and never gotten around to continuing), and it has all the charm and fun that NSMBU was missing. I played enough to do two boss battles, and somewhere between a dozen and 20 levels. Each level seems to do something different, and feels unique enough that it stands out and keeps me invested in continuing to play. I'll probably finish this next, before going back to Yoshi's Woolly World (or maybe I'll take a break from platformers). The only thing I don't like so far is the pointing/waggle Wiimote controls are a bit wonky. I think I need to move by Wii sensor bar - right now it's above my sound bar and the sound bar seems to block the signal if I'm not holding the Wiimote high enough (and I mean where I hold it, not where I point it). I probably need to tape the sensor bar to the bottom of my TV instead.

Edited by MosesRockefeller

I just preordered Hyrule Warriors Definitive Edition for Switch. It cost $48 from Best Buy. I'm justifying this as not adding to my backlog, since I only played the first 3 or 4 missions in the campaign for Hyrule Warriors Wii U. I'm trading that game in to Gamestop tonight or this weekend. Yeah, I'm sinking more money into the game but it's still cheaper than buying all the DLC for the Wii U version, which still wouldn't include the additional campaign missions from the 3DS port. Overall I'm getting the complete experience of the game cheaper than I could with the existing versions, and at the highest graphical quality available. Score?

I also improved my Wii U sensor bar accuracy by moving it to the top-front of my speaker soundbar, so that nothing blocks the Wiimote line of sight. Now I can play games that need the Wiimote to point at the bar (like Super Mario Galaxy) without standing in front of the TV! Anyway, I'm having a blast with Super Mario Galaxy. I won't go for 100% completion, but I want to get through the last boss battle and maybe do a bonus level or two.

I finished Super Mario Galaxy last night. I really enjoyed my time with it. I finished the game with around 75 stars out of 120 (which I saw online, unlocks Luigi and you then get all 120 stars again for 100% completion). Most of the game areas (there are about 5) have 2-3 "planets" with 3 core stars, 1 hidden star, 1 "challenge comet" star, and 1 post-story purple coin challenge star. There are also 1 or 2 planets in each area with only 1 star, and one boss planet with 1 star. I got all the core stars for each area, so I think I got a pretty good exposure to the different types of levels in the game. I also got to play with each power up. Spring Mario is a neat idea, but the controls are VERY frustrating. I never managed to master the timing. Most of the time I'd do a little bounce instead of a big spring. I liked all the other power ups though.

I'm not sure where the game ranks for me. I have played all the main Mario games except Super Mario Galaxy 2. Super Mario Bros 2 and Super Mario Sunshine are the only ones where I haven't finished the story. I will probably take a break from Mario before I start SMG2. Anyway, I liked this game better in some ways than Super Mario 3D World and Super Mario Odyssey. I think Super Mario Odyssey edges it out if only for the controls. Most of the controls are fine in SMG, but the pointing does not always work well, and the spin move would be better with a button push I think. I think overall, most of the 3D Mario games have their own individual strengths, and can be enjoyed alongside ones that are newer.

I liked the gravity/planet mechanic, although sometimes the camera made it hard to time and align precise jumps. Also, walking upside down on planets was neat but often got disorienting with the camera and controls.

Overall, I liked the game a lot, and I hope Nintendo continues to use it as an influence in Mario games.

Mario Galaxy was very good. Big fan. Got all 120 stars but I never did Luigi Galaxy though. I might get back on it one day... didnt play Galaxy 2 yet but its also on my backlog. 

Speaking of backlogs, yours is quite immense. A man of my own heart, haha. Good luck with it aye ?

10 hours ago, kraven_15 said:

Mario Galaxy was very good. Big fan. Got all 120 stars but I never did Luigi Galaxy though. I might get back on it one day... didnt play Galaxy 2 yet but its also on my backlog. 

Speaking of backlogs, yours is quite immense. A man of my own heart, haha. Good luck with it aye 1f60a.png

I don't know how anyone has enough patience to do the damn ball-rolling level(s). My hat is off to you. I hate that kind of stuff even WITHOUT motion controls, much less with them.

And yeah, my backlog is huge. It's even bigger than the one I posted here. I've completed a few games but I know I added more than I finished.

7 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

I don't know how anyone has enough patience to do the damn ball-rolling level(s). My hat is off to you. I hate that kind of stuff even WITHOUT motion controls, much less with them.

And yeah, my backlog is huge. It's even bigger than the one I posted here. I've completed a few games but I know I added more than I finished.

It's been many years since I played it so I must have surpressed those memories.

Wait til you try Luigi Galaxy, hahaha... I tried one level and his controls are even crazier!

I started one of these checklist things a couple of weeks ago and it's been great knowing just what games there are left to play. Good luck with it mate

On 1/31/2018 at 4:27 PM, kraven_15 said:

It's been many years since I played it so I must have surpressed those memories.

Wait til you try Luigi Galaxy, hahaha... I tried one level and his controls are even crazier!

I started one of these checklist things a couple of weeks ago and it's been great knowing just what games there are left to play. Good luck with it mate

I'm not going for 120 stars as Mario; I've already moved on. But, I read that you unlock Luigi fairly early in Super Mario Galaxy 2. I'll just wait to see how he controls in that game.

My backlog is too big for a checklist, but I do like an idea I read about dividing it up into categories (besides just the console system).

January 2018 in Review:

Here are the games I finished during the month:

Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep Final Mix (PS4)

Assassin's Creed Syndicate - Jack the Ripper DLC (PS4)

New Super Mario Bros U (Wii U)

Super Mario Galaxy (Wii)

That's only 4 games finished, dang. And of those games, the only ones I started during the month were SMG (i had done a couple of levels a while back, but I did at least 90% of my playthrough in January) and the Jack the Ripper DLC. Now I did make good progress towards Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance HD, Persona 3 PSP, Picross S, and Captain Toad Treasure Tracker (among a few others), but I'd like to hopefully knock out more games in February.

As far as games I bought during the month, I bought:

NBA Playgrounds (Switch)

Bayonetta 1/2 preorder (Switch)

Stick It To the Man (Switch)

Bulb Boy (Switch)

That's 4 games finished, 4 games bought. Although since Bayonetta was a preorder for February, I think I'll count it as a February purchase.

I also did a very poor job of sticking to my initial plans of what games to play. I'll probably skip planning out new games for now.

Onwards to February! I expect to finish KH Dream Drop Distance, P3P, and Captain Toad Treasure Tracker this month. Beyond that, we'll see.

9 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

I also did a very poor job of sticking to my initial plans of what games to play. I'll probably skip planning out new games for now.

Haha,  i know this feeling. There's a plan of attack until the time comes to put the game in and motivation to play a different game kicks in ? winging it seems like a good plan

• 2 weeks later...

I finished Captain Toad Treasure Tracker early last week, but due to being sick for 5 days, I have not gotten around to posting about it.

I really enjoyed the game. The ending ties in to Super Mario 3D World and reveals that Treasure Tracker is actually a prequel (which I did not know). So that was cool. There is a decent amount of post-game content in the bonus levels, which require 100% collectibles for the story levels to unlock fully. I wasn't interested in doing that, so I made do with the bonus levels I unlocked during the story, which I think was slightly over half of them.

I think the game would be a good candidate for a Switch port. There are several levels with touchscreen and/or blowing controls that wouldn't work in Docked Mode on Switch, but they could probably be recreated using physical controls. The game only uses a few buttons anyway so I think that would work fine. The blowing parts are not location-specific (e.g. blowing makes all the elevators in the level move at the same time), but the touch parts are, so ideally they would work the same in Handheld Mode and use physical buttons in Docked Mode and lose some of that "puzzle magic" in the process while still being doable.

I finished Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance HD this weekend. I actually finished the previous game in the series - Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep Final Mix on January 1, and I didn't mention it earlier in this thread. So I'll cover both here.

BbS was a departure from the series, because for the first time you play as 3 different characters, with them visiting the same worlds with different areas (and different bosses). The game was structured to play through one character as a time. It never really felt redundant, and for the first time you get to play as a female character. Overall I liked it a lot but I think I preferred KH1 and 2 a bit. I liked the gameplay changes in BbS though.

DDD changed things again by having you switch back and forth between two characters, but this happens on the fly, even in the middle of boss fights. That bugged me a bit. You can mitigate it by using items to increase your playtime for the current character, but in the middle of combat that would mean using up a valuable item/command slot. I actually had to repeat the last two bosses (who don't have a savepoint in between them, but instead have a LONG cutscene interlude) again because I didn't unlock the final "secret" cutscene. So I went back, did some grinding to make the boss fights easier, and tackled them again. I liked the game a lot. The Dream Eater pets/sidekicks were cute and fun, and the story was important in the overall series. It didn't feel quite like a true sequel, but it was pretty close, especially in story impact. Hopefully the upcoming KH3 will be a bit "meatier". The story changes in DDD suggest that KH3 could feature up to 7 player characters. I wouldn't want it to feel repetitive but it would be cool to have at least some bonus sections with different characters.

As far as the overall series goes, I have one more "mini" game to play, BbS A Fragmentary Passage, and one "cutscene theater" to watch. So I'm in the home stretch. I started the series back in April 2017, so it's taken me almost a year, but I'm finally almost caught up! I don't always like each new game more than the previous one, but I think overall I like the gameplay changes introduced in each new entry.

Currently I'm working on Walking Dead Michonne on PS4, Yoshi's Woolly World on Wii U, Persona 3 Portable on Vita, and LEGO Marvel Super Heroes 2 on Switch.

I finished two games this weekend.

LEGO Marvel Super Heroes 2

I bought the Deluxe version of the game that includes the Season Pass. I finished the 20 story missions, the 2 DLC missions released so far (I think the game is getting at least one more), and one of the bonus Gwenpool missions. I will probably complete the game 100% eventually. At the very least I'll do the 10 Gwenpool missions.

Anyway, I liked the game a lot. I think Marvel Super Heroes (1) did an overall better job of blending various Marvel superheroes than this one, but the sequel did as well as it could without the more well-known teams of the X-Men and Fantastic Four. I did enjoy seeing the Guardians of the Galaxy and Spiderman (various versions of him in fact) in the spotlight more. I saw on this site that many players claimed the PS4 version was extremely glitchy, but I only ran into one game freeze in the Switch version, and thankfully it was during a fairly short mission. I did encounter one progress bug later on during a mission replay, but a "save and quit" and reload fixed the issue. Performance was good for the most part, but I did encounter some occasional slowdown. I'm still a big fan of having the full-blown LEGO game experience on a portable, unlike the watered-down Vita versions (which I did enjoy to an extent, but they are definitely lesser games).

I recommend the game to anyone who likes Marvel, comics, silliness, and LEGO games. The co-op seems pretty good as usual for the series, but I couldn't really test it since my toddler daughter isn't old enough to enjoy games much yet.

Yoshi's Woolly World

I finished the final boss and also did the first 4 boss rush encounters (which unlocks the Bronze Yoshi skin). I did not go for 100% completion or do enough to unlock the bonus levels (there is one of them per world, and I think one final one if you unlock them all). The game is a lot of fun and it seems to be a good foundation for the upcoming Yoshi Switch game. There are a few levels that let you flip over to the "back" of the world and back, which is the main selling point of the Switch game. I thought all those levels were cool, so I am excited to get more of that gameplay.

One neat element of the game is that every single level unlocks a different Yoshi skin, and many Amiibo unlock more. That's 72 skins unlockable through gameplay, and 52 Amiibo skins. The 3DS port of the game added a few dozen more skins. They are a small part of the game and are only decorative, but it was a cool feature, and a clever use of Amiibo. I hope that the Switch Yoshi game does something similar. Since it has a papercraft visual style, maybe it can have skins that have a paper look.

Currently Playing

I started playing Walking Dead: Michonne on PS4 again after taking a break when I finished Episode 1. I'm almost done with Episode 2 and only have Episode 3 left. I am finding it more difficult to get into the dreary feeling of the series after not playing any of the games in a while (I also stopped watching the show after Season 3). At this point in my life, I find myself not really enjoying "grimdark" storytelling that much. Game of Thrones is the one piece of "depressing" media where I put up with that style (and sometimes I feel like that's just so I can finish the show that I started and more on). I will probably play Walking Dead Season 3 since I already bought it, but most likely I'll take a break after Michonne. My next Telltale game will probably be Guardians of the Galaxy, which I think is more in line with Tales From the Borderlands - funny and not so serious all the time.

When I can take a break from post-story stuff in LEGO Marvel 2, I'll go back to Mario+Rabbids again on Switch.

Last night I started playing Star Fox Zero on Wii U. So far I'm finding the controls alright. I don't think they're crap like many people apparently did, but I'm also not skilled enough with them yet to have truly mastered them. I miss a lot of what I shoot at, but that was true for me much of the time with traditional Star Fox controls too. I'm just a bad shot I guess. :)

I'm still plugging away at Persona 3 Portable on Vita (it's a backwards compatible PSP game). I am so slow at JRPGs, but I'm getting close to the end.

Walking Dead: Michonne (PS4)

I finished this last night. It's a short game that most people would probably complete in one sitting, but I dragged it out over several days (with a long break before I finished Episode 1 and quickly finished the game).

I'll keep playing my games on other platforms, and I'll probably start on Kingdom Hearts 0.2 Birth by Sleep: A Fragmentary Passage soon on PS4. It's another short game that I can finish relatively quickly, but knowing me and RPGs, I'll probably take at least twice as long as most people.

February 2018 in Review:

Captain Toad Treasure Tracker (Wii U)

Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance HD (PS4)

LEGO Marvel Super Heroes 2 (Switch)

Yoshis's Woolly World (Wii U)

Walking Dead: Michonne (PS4)

Another month, another few games finished! Like last month, one of these was in the "short game/DLC" category. But, at least I finished one more game this month. I came close to finishing Star Fox Zero, but I still have 3 levels left. The difficulty spiked after the halfway point, to where I'm glad to finish a single level in one evening of gaming.

Bayonetta 1/2 (Switch)

That's 5 games finished, 1 game bought. I preordered Bayonetta 1/2 in January, but I didn't get charged for the purchase until February.

Onwards to March! I expect to finish P3P, Star Fox Zero, and Kingdom Hearts 0.2 Birth by Sleep: A Fragmentary Passage this month. Maybe I can knock out a small game or two past that.

Okay, I have knocked out the first games of March!

Saints Row: Gat Out of Hell (PS4)

I started this game a long time ago, and I played it a little bit at a time. Even though I like the game, the thought of going for the Platinum and getting all the collectibles put me off and kept me from finishing it. I decided to pick it back up over the weekend, and it turns out my next mission was the final boss fight. I skipped the rest of the side content and did the final story mission. It took me a few tries because I didn't have the best equipment and powers. I liked the game overall, but it was definitely lighter on story content than previous games. I don't know if we'll see a Saints Row 5 or if the the gameplay elements will morph into a new series by the same developers.

Star Fox Zero (Wii U)

This is a game I got at launch, and never got around to playing. Like all Starfox games, It's short, but for some reason I kept putting it off. The game adds some elements to the traditional Starfox gameplay, by including a helicopter-style player vehicle as well as a walker-style player vehicle. I liked both new vehicles, and the hacking element that was added (it's not a minigame, it's just a matter of getting close to the computer terminal). The controls were a divisive change for fans. The game typically shows the traditional 3rd-person view on the TV, and a 1st-person cockpit view on the Wii U gamepad. Also, it uses motion aiming. All of that combined to make a somewhat complicated control scheme. It allows for cool new things like aiming somewhere you're not aiming, but it is tricky to get the hang of. I did well enough with it, but I would not say I mastered it by any means. For the most part the difficulty was average, but there were some pretty tough stages. The final boss battle was pretty challenging, and it took me several attempts to beat. The graphics were great, and it made me want to see a Starfox game on Switch. I don't think this one should be ported though. I think changing the controls to remove the 2-screen gameplay would change the game so much that I'd rather see a new entry.

I made good progress in Kingdom Hearts 0.2 Birth by Sleep: A Fragmentary Passage yesterday, so I think I'll be finishing it in the next day or two. I also finally went back to Mario+Rabbids and beat the world 3 boss. I did the first stage of world 4 also. I'm still really enjoying the game. I should be able to finish it pretty soon. I also started playing Kirby and the Rainbow Curse on Wii U, and while I like it, the stylus-based drawing controls don't make it as accessible as the traditional Kirby games for me.

Potential purchases of March: Fear Effect Sedna, Subsurface Circular, and Kirby Star Allies (all on Switch).

Kingdom Hearts 0.2 Birth by Sleep: A Fragmentary Passage (PS4)

I finished this last night. This is the first KH game using the Unreal engine, and it looks gorgeous. It makes me excited for KH3. The story was fine, but seemed to be a small story. Then the ending cutscenes blew things wide open and tied it into the bigger story. So that was fun. I liked the game for the most part, although it's no substitute for a full blown KH game that has diverse areas and gameplay. It's more of a teaser for KH3, and it worked on me!

Kirby and the Rainbow Curse (Wii U)

This was an interesting game. It involves using the touchscreen to draw "rope" paths for Kirby to follow. Traditional controls are not used at all. What I discovered, is that with a tempered glass protector on my Wii U gamepad (and possibly without it, which I didn't test), sometimes the touchscreen didn't register that I touched it. I had better luck using my finger instead of a stylus. The game has 28 short-to-medium length levels, which felt like a good length to me. There is replayability in terms of collectibles in each level, but I focused on story completion. The difficulty ranged from very easy to challenging, but it usually felt pretty well balanced. Overall I liked the creative visuals and controls, but I prefer traditional controls.

Contrast (PS4)

Talk about taking a long time to finish a game! That's right, this is a game I got for free in the first month of PS4 PS+ freebies. It only takes 3-4 hours to finish (unless you really stink at puzzles, which sometimes I do), but I never got around to finishing it after I started it back in 2016. I enjoyed the story a lot, and the gameplay is pretty fun with the unique shadow mechanics. Controls-wise, it is a bit lacking compared to polished platformers like the Mario series, but it gets the job done. The jazz music was great, and the voice acting was tolerable (but not amazing). I also liked the visuals. The game's biggest flaw is glitches. It has gotten several patches but it's still a bit buggy. I imagine that playing it at launch was pretty frustrating. If anybody still has this on a backlog and got it for free, I'd say give it a shot.

Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor: The Bright Lord DLC (PS4)

I completed this DLC over the weekend. It took me a few hours and a mission or two before I got the hang of the gameplay again (mostly the combat flow), since I haven't played the game in a long time. I liked the DLC, but the story didn't do anything for me. I definitely preferred the previous story DLC where I got to team up with the dwarf character from the base game. Overall I still enjoy the Arkham-style combat, but the Arkham games are more fun for me, since they expand the gameplay with puzzles (and I care about the characters and story).

Splatoon campaign (Wii U)

I completed the campaign over the weekend. I played a little bit of multiplayer and got to level 5 or so, but I didn't feel a need to continue on. At some point I will grab Splatoon 2 and try the multiplayer there. The MP in Splatoon 1 is still pretty active though. I found the campaign pretty fun, especially the boss battles. It's very satisfying just to spray paint around in the maps, whether in MP or the campaign. I got Splatoon for $20 at Gamestop a week or two ago to try out the gameplay, so I would have a better idea if it's worth my buying Splatoon 2. Between the longer story mode and the upcoming story DLC, Splatoon 2 is on my radar now. I still hope to find a deal but I don't think I'll wait long enough for it to drop to $20.

Persona 3 Portable (PSP on Vita)

It took me a while, but I finally finished this game. At least I didn't take any long breaks this time, which is what made me take so long to finish Persona 4 Golden. I liked the game a lot. I think I like Persona 4 better overall because of the more varied combat environments and the ability to fully explore non-combat areas, combined with more extensive voice acting. But P3P was still great, especially the cast and the story. Soon I will start P3 FES: The Answer epilogue on PS3.

March 2018 in Review:

Saints Row: Gat Out of Hell (PS4)

Star Fox Zero (Wii U)

Kingdom Hearts 0.2 Birth by Sleep: A Fragmentary Passage (PS4)

Kirby and the Rainbow Curse (Wii U)

Contrast (PS4)

Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor: The Bright Lord DLC (PS4)

Splatoon (Wii U) - campaign only

Persona 3 Portable (PSP on Vita)

That is 8 games and DLC finished, which is more than January or March. On the other hand, Saints Row, Star Fox, and Persona were all games I started before March. 

Shantae and the Pirate's Curse (Switch)

Now that April has started, I'm playing Persona 3 FES: The Answer on PS3, Hitman and Gravity Rush 2 on PS4, Star Fox Guard on Wii U, Mario+Rabbids on Switch, and MegaTagmension Blanc on Vita. Hopefully I'll finish some of them this month. 

• 3 weeks later...

Purchases for April so far:

Subsurface Circular (Switch)

Splatoon 2 (Switch)

So far I haven't finished any games and the only ones I'm on track to beat are MegaTagmension Blanc on Vita, and LEGO Marvel Super Heroes 2, if I'm counting that twice for 100% completion. April is a slow month for me I guess.