Crash Bandicoot the new Dark Souls

DiegoMolinams

On 2017-06-30 at 4:25 PM, DrBloodmoney said:

Which outlet allows games reviews - not quicklooks or 'lets plays' or previews, but actual reviews - by people who have not finished the game?

I've not heard of this, outside of specific cases where the reviewer puts a specific disclaimer in the review stating that they have not finished it in its entirety (I remember seeing this on a few final fantasy games on ps1 for example due to time restrictions and review deadlines for print magazines) but in general I have not heard of this. The opposite in fact - I've heard many reviewers talking about having to stay awake all night in frustration to finish a game to meet a review deadline.

Outside of maybe youtube 'influencers' (kids without morals or ethics who are basically cheap, paid shills trading dubious 'reviews' for free games,) I don't imagine any publication or serious web outlet allowing this practice? I imagine it would be a bit of a scandal if it were the case, and would certainly hurt the outlet in question's credibility.

I'm not calling you a liar, just interested where this info comes from? Is it your assumption, or is it based on some available information?

IGN's review for Toukiden: Age of Demons. The reviewer admitted on twitter they didn't finish the game and that "they played enough Monster Hunter" to rate Toukiden, a completely different kind of game. From the sounds of the review it sounded like all she did was play the demo~

3 hours ago, Ric said:

All the people saying it's difficult because older games are more difficult and Crash Bandicoot was difficult need to boot Crash Bandicoot 1 on their PS1.

The controls feel nothing alike. Crash is less responsive and hitboxes have changed. If you still have your old ps1 and the original Crash Bandicoot and also the new PS4 version, you should play the level "The High Road" on both and then come back and share your findings.

It's not that notable in most levels, but in that particular one it pretty much breaks the level and makes it nearly unplayable. It is doable, I did it, but it shouldn't be anywhere near as aggrevating as it currently is (in the first place because it didn't use to be in the original). And no, frustration/aggrevation should NOT be part of games, it's the opposite of what games are supposed to be for, enjoyment.

This is nothing like Dark Souls, if you die in Dark Souls you know you did something wrong, and you learn how to do it better. If you die in Crash Bandicoot, it's more often than not because of fidgety controls and Crash somehow sliding of the tiny little platforms while he should be standing on it.

For me, frustration is not part of Dark Soul because it's fair. It is part of Crash Bandicoot because it isn't fair, there's nothing you can do about it, except hoping you will hit some tiny little sweet spot so you don't die for the 50th time in the checkpoint.

This only goes for Crash 1 by the way, I've not yet played the others on PS4, but I've read that those controls are supposed to be a lot better.

One of the dark levels, bad with level names, had some issues where you'd kind of get resistance while jumping. I assume the hit box from a swinging pendulum was the issue. I was watching a PSN friend stream it and he had issues at that part, and when I got there I had the same problems he was talking about. I think it's the second dark level, the dead end one.

A few areas need a bit of polish, particularly those bridge levels and the turtles in general seem to be an issue. Can't count how many times I died jumping on one and it not registering properly. (or worse Aku Aku shooting it away and then I have to kill myself to get the crate you need for him). But at least with the bridge levels you can cheese it if you really want. Just hop on the rope and walk your way there lol.

But to suggest Crash wasn't hard is silly. It's certainly not an easy game on PSone.

Edited by Elvick_
  • Like 1

On 30/06/2017 at 11:52 PM, charlijaen said:

Are you serious?

The people have become more stupid and games a lot easier.

The original Crash Bandicoot only let you save if you completed a difficult bonus wave every 3 levels.

Now you can save as much as you want, (I actually disliked the change. I loved how hardcore it was originally).

Games have become really easy since PS3 generation started.

I used to like difficult games, but no new games are difficult nowadays..

Yes you are right. I was really surprised when playing on the remaster of CB1 and dying on a bonus sequence (which opens with 3 cards of a character), I was able to try again the bonus sequence. I am pretty sure it was not possible on CB1.

Until now, the jumps seem a little bit more complicated than in the original (in my opinion) but it is pretty okay.

For old games, when there was a game over, the game had to be started from scratch, good old memories aren't they? 

I believe the (dumb) reviewer just thought: "die and retry => Dark souls"

• Like 1

I've never played Crash Bandicoot or even the Dark Souls series, but really?  Crash bandicoot and a dark Souls comparison?  Come on.  It can't be that hard.

I'd love to see these guys try and beat the original Mega Man without dying, then come back to me.  And no, even I couldn't beat Mega Man without dying either.

On 30/06/2017 at 9:14 PM, Asvinia said:

It's as hilarious as when Metroid and other classic games were released on Nintendo's virtual store and their Mii pages or whatever they're called where full of kids not knowing how the games work.

I once thought that games were good for problem solving skill growth, but now I'm not so sure. It's like games have become so easy and hold your hand so much, the kids have no idea how even the most basic things work.

But we have to remember that game journalists typically don't play a lot of games, they play maybe 5-10 hours of a game, review it and move on. When was the last time anyone saw a game journalist that was actually able to play games competently? The only ones I've seen is maybe the Playstation Access guys.

On 30/06/2017 at 9:20 PM, yellowwindow7 said:

guess all these people who's saying it's too hard and it's unforgiving have never played the ps1 originals before and yet trying to act as a huge fan of the original crash bandicoot....

since the day I played crash the first time on ps1 and it was well known of it's difficulty spikes, surprisingly it's one of the reasons why the original crash games was so addicting back then, and also another reason why naughty dog back then did all those different death animations or  death scene.

On 01/07/2017 at 2:54 AM, ShadowStar83x said:

Jeez, modern gamers are such pussies. Would've loved to see them game during the NES days where there was no Internet and you had to figure out shit for yourself!

Retro/Really old games, were often made unfairly difficult, to force you to play them repeatedly, hence why you had to get good at them. But they were also very frustrating, You only need to look at something like the original Ghosts n Goblins or Ninja Gaiden as examples of overly difficult games, designed to steal hours of your life. I never played anything I would consider super-hard on the original playstation, and I beat dozens of games on it, like Crash Bandicoot 1-3, Soul Reaver, Abe's Oddysee & Exodus, Micro Machines, Final Fantasy VII and IX, Tekken, Dead or Alive and Time Crisis. Just to name a few, so I consider myself lucky in that regard, as I never bought my own games, but got them as gifts. 

On 30/06/2017 at 11:40 PM, Spider-Man916 said:

And here I am about to start Bloodborne.  Now I feel like such a pussy.

Good luck with Bloodborne, I had a really good time with it myself. 

12 hours ago, Ric said:

All the people saying it's difficult because older games are more difficult and Crash Bandicoot was difficult need to boot Crash Bandicoot 1 on their PS1.

The controls feel nothing alike. Crash is less responsive and hitboxes have changed. If you still have your old ps1 and the original Crash Bandicoot and also the new PS4 version, you should play the level "The High Road" on both and then come back and share your findings.

It's not that notable in most levels, but in that particular one it pretty much breaks the level and makes it nearly unplayable. It is doable, I did it, but it shouldn't be anywhere near as aggrevating as it currently is (in the first place because it didn't use to be in the original). And no, frustration/aggrevation should NOT be part of games, it's the opposite of what games are supposed to be for, enjoyment.

This is nothing like Dark Souls, if you die in Dark Souls you know you did something wrong, and you learn how to do it better. If you die in Crash Bandicoot, it's more often than not because of fidgety controls and Crash somehow sliding of the tiny little platforms while he should be standing on it.

For me, frustration is not part of Dark Soul because it's fair. It is part of Crash Bandicoot because it isn't fair, there's nothing you can do about it, except hoping you will hit some tiny little sweet spot so you don't die for the 50th time in the checkpoint.

This only goes for Crash 1 by the way, I've not yet played the others on PS4, but I've read that those controls are supposed to be a lot better.

Yeah the original Crash Bandicoot's controls weren't perfected originally, but they should have been able to fix that, in the remaster. Frustration should not be part of the gaming experience, where it can be avoided. I feel Furi on PS4 didn't avoid that, Boss 4 'The Scale' still really pisses me off, especially during practice and my attempts at the Time Trial, since his final phase gives you barely any room to move. 

My brother is currently playing Crash, and when he's not, he's playing that awesome new game, Owlboy. So I'm waiting for him to finish, before picking it up again.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, James_Tonto said:

Retro/Really old games, were often made unfairly difficult, to force you to play them repeatedly, hence why you had to get good at them. But they were also very frustrating, You only need to look at something like the original Ghosts n Goblins or Ninja Gaiden as examples of overly difficult games, designed to steal hours of your life. I never played anything I would consider super-hard on the original playstation, and I beat dozens of games on it, like Crash Bandicoot 1-3, Soul Reaver, Abe's Oddysee & Exodus, Micro Machines, Final Fantasy VII and IX, Tekken, Dead or Alive and Time Crisis.

Things like Ghosts 'n' Goblins/Ghouls 'n' Ghosts were difficult to the point of unfairness so that you had to spend money to replay them in the arcades. Lives, I imagine were a holdover, making it so that you could fail and, depending on the game, might have to start over. Definitely to keep you playing. But even though I was like 8 years old at the time, I never had issue with games like Crash, Spyro, Croc, Kingsley's Adventure and MediEvil, or even The Lion King that I could speedrun in less than an hour. They were never unfair. I have difficulty believing modern Crash could be that much harder, most likely people have just gotten used to easier games, or kids aren't familiar with the concept of losing.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Asvinia said:

Things like Ghosts 'n' Goblins/Ghouls 'n' Ghosts were difficult to the point of unfairness so that you had to spend money to replay them in the arcades. Lives, I imagine were a holdover, making it so that you could fail and, depending on the game, might have to start over. Definitely to keep you playing. But even though I was like 8 years old at the time, I never had issue with games like Crash, Spyro, Croc, Kingsley's Adventure and MediEvil, or even The Lion King that I could speedrun in less than an hour. They were never unfair. I have difficulty believing modern Crash could be that much harder, most likely people have just gotten used to easier games, or kids aren't familiar with the concept of losing.

Ah a fellow MediEvil and Spyro fan. ^_^ Let's hope one of those will be on the reboot/remaster list next. We've already got Crash and Abe. Let's bring the whole bandwagon of classic gaming heroes into our shiny modern, home consoles.

• Like 1

I got fed up with the High Road which I think is the hardest level in the game for me. Even more than Slippery Climb. I lost the most lives in the high road trying to jump on them turtles but I found online a trick where you can walk on the rope. It still takes skill though to try and maintain balance and even getting on the rope without falling off but I found it easier than trying to make the jumps off the turtles.

Also Ive been frustrated at Crash but never to the point where I give up. I think its hard but fair.. I feel so much better and relief when I finally make it. I don't think its the controls

Edited by parkerdip
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, parkerdip said:

I got fed up with the High Road which I think is the hardest level in the game for me. Even more than Slippery Climb. I lost the most lives in the high road trying to jump on them turtles but I found online a trick where you can walk on the rope. It still takes skill though to try and maintain balance and even getting on the rope without falling off but I found it easier than trying to make the jumps off the turtles.

Also Ive been frustrated at Crash but never to the point where I give up. I think its hard but fair.. I feel so much better and relief when I finally make it. I don't think its the controls

I KNOW RIGHT?? I'm not even kidding when I say I got at least 25 game over screens on that stupid level... so god damn frustrating... I got so mad that I started Crash 3 (nostalgia sake) and already completed it before completing High Road... 

On 2/7/2017 at 0:19 AM, DizzyDavidson said:

Pish posh!

You can't even jump in DS.......        I think. (I only played an hour)

Sure Crash 1 is def hard. I'm progressing nicely for now but gold relics will be a nightmare for me later down the road.

Tho I will say this, something is a bit off with the jumping/hit box like others are saying. Lost 46 lives on High Road the first time.

I had 60 lives when I got to 'Road to Nowhere' and they were all gone in 2 minutes haha I'm starting to get used to it. It's like everything else - you just need practice!