I can't convert my console peasant friend.

ROBOCRIPPLE_

I have a furry friend on PSN whom I did play with back in White Knight Chronicles when the Geonet servers were still up and running. I did not move on to WKC2 because I was tired of the grind back in the first game, but he told me that there were issues going on in WKC2; that I "dodged a bullet". His PS3 broke and he got a PS4 and we played Warframe on PS4 (which is free-to-play and doesn't require a PS Plus subscription) for a while until I gave up on it. We also hung out on PS Home and now Nebula Realms and Atom Universe; he is really into these avatar-based social networks and especially likes to customize a personal space.

He does want to play online co-op games with me again. Problem is that most online multiplayer games on PS4 require a PS Plus subscription, and I don't really want to pay a subscription to play an online co-op game that is expensive to buy up-front for console anyways, which is one of the reasons why I bought a gaming PC. He doesn't usually subscribe to PS Plus, either, but he did it once to play Resident Evil 6 with another furry friend. At first, I suggested that he move on to the Wii U, but he didn't want to, because although that console has free online multiplayer it does not have the games that he really wants to play; he doesn't want to play Super Smash Bros, Mario Kart 8, or Splatoon. Next, I suggested that he move on to PC.

He still doesn't want to move on to PC gaming, because it is confusing, expensive, and he had a poor experience with them in the past. Well, 15-20 years ago. I even told him the advantages that PC gaming has over console gaming:

• Free online multiplayer for most games (except games like WoW or FFXIV, of course)
  • Cheaper games, especially on huge Steam/GOG/Humble Bundle sales
  • A huge game library, from old games to modern ones
  • Different settings to suit your individual PC, from low settings suited for low-end PCs, to ultra settings for high-end PCs that out-perform consoles
  • Mods!

and he still doesn't buy it. He has a Macbook because he thinks they are different from, and better than, PCs. I told him that his Macbook is a PC as well, but he didn't believe me. :facepalm: I suggested that he buy a gaming PC that runs Windows 10 because that OS has the most games, but then again, Windows has the most viruses and he certainly doesn't want to run the risk of getting malware or buy anti-virus software. I also suggested that he upgrade to a Mac Pro, which runs Mac OS X just like his Macbook, but those things are expensive. Last, but not least, I suggested that he build a gaming PC and install a Linux distribution on it, like Ubuntu, but even that OS is not the easiest to set up even after the easy installation and he is not comfortable with the components and internals of a PC, so I suggested that he check out System76. Although all PCs sold by System76 have Ubuntu pre-installed, the problem is that you have to pick the components yourself on the website, and I don't think he wants to take the time to do any research to know the differences between multiple graphics cards, etc, let alone buy a new PC. Also, Linux doesn't have as many games as Windows, including AAA games, and I can only find one or two games that we can both play together while he runs Linux on his PC. Finally, although most Linux distributions have little to no viruses, he doesn't even want to try it out because things can get technical and he doesn't want to run the risk of ruining a PC again.

I give up on that one. I guess I'll either go back to Warfarm or some other F2P garbage or actually subscribe to PS Plus and play a quality, AAA, co-op game with him. I don't really want to play RE6 because I suck at these games. I also suggested that he try The Elder Scrolls Online, but he doesn't like that game because it's in the first-person view and he gets motion sickness in first-person view even though ESO has a third-person camera as well. He's sticking to PS4 for gaming because, like any console, it just works; no finding the right hardware, no installing drivers, no risk of getting malware, no slowdown, nada; just plug and play. 

I guess I can conclude that PC gaming isn't for everyone. There is the "PC Gaming Master Race" who clearly prefer PC over console for most multiplatform games, and then there is everybody else who thinks that PC Gaming is a complicated and expensive hobby for nerds and so prefer console gaming for its simplicity and affordability. 

And it struck my mind that the simplicity and affordability of console gaming are few of the reasons why Microsoft, Sony, and soon Nintendo require a subscription for online gaming on their consoles. I guess they don't want kids to go online and spew out profanities and slurs and ruin the online gaming experience for many other players (just like the days of online gaming on PS2 and 3) and would rather have them play split-screen with their friends from school (just like the old days). Rather, they target the subscriptions to adult gamers who have jobs and would do anything to get what they want (as long as it's legal and moral, of course). Also, AAA game development and running servers cost money and so they appreciate the extra income. What console gaming has that PC gaming doesn't always have is split-screen multiplayer. I guess I can say that PC Gaming is better for online multiplayer, and console gaming is better for split-screen. Problem is that not many AAA developers make games with split-screen multiplayer, these days, and would rather have online multiplayer only, especially for first-person shooters. It's an interesting thought, but I think Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo are charging for online multiplayer because they care more about their bottom line than anything.

Still, I only really play single-player games, anyways, and I can still hang out with my furry friend in Atom Universe and Nebula Realms. Still, he wants to play online with me again, like we did on Warframe and WKC.

If you have another suggestion for converting my console peasant friend, let me know. This guy and another friend of ours are really hard to convince, if not impossible.

• Like 2

Maybe he just doesn't want to throw money after a PC or play games on his Mac (not droves of games available anyways). I have a few friends similar that guy, and even though I've suggested them to get a PC they just won't surrender. It seems like you've really tried to convince him, but what it doesn't seem like is that he will not yield up. Let it go and buy the subscription if you really want to persist in playing with him. :)

• Like 2

What's the point of telling us he's a furry, all it says that he has a very niche hobby that most consider very weird; It's a useless detail that adds nothing to your post.

If you don't want to buy PS+ you could always just buy him a gaming PC, that way you're both happy.

• Like 2

I stopped reading this after I read "furry friend". But either way, just let him game on whatever he wants to, its his choice if he wants to spend £300 on a console instead of playing on a computer.

• Like 1

It's his preferred choice.  Deal with it.
Besides, you made me confused by saying you refuse to pay for PS+ subscription for being too expensive yet you wonder why your friend won't buy a gaming PC!  :giggle: 
Peasants?!  Yeah, right. :facepalm:  No wonder console gamers don't like their PC peers.

Edited by milanbarca82
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ROBOCRIPPLE_ said:

I guess I can conclude that PC gaming isn't for everyone. There is the "PC Gaming Master Race" who clearly prefer PC over console for most multiplatform games, and then there is everybody else who thinks that PC Gaming is a complicated and expensive hobby for nerds and so prefer console gaming for its simplicity and affordability.

And there you have it. If he doesn't really want to, just let him be. Calling him a console peasant also doesn't help either since people who actually believe in that "master race" thing unironically say that, which leaves no mystery as to why others call PC gamers elitist nerds.

• Like 3

I was a PC gamer for years and had over 450 games on steam. A short while ago i went to Playstation because my PC wasn't capable of max quality forcing me to fiddle with settings. It aggravated me to no end to have to adjust the settings for 60fps/quality balance. On a console you might not get the highest quality but you don't have to do any annoying text file setting editing or fiddling to get balance. Console on, choose game and play that's what i want and that is how it should be. I am limited in time and do not want to lose even a minute or 2 on settings so PC is not an option and is not comfortable behind a desk.

Edit: Also since ps4/Pro i started having trouble to see clear quality differences making it even less worth it.

Edited by TerraTanium
  • Like 3

PS Plus is cheaper then investing in a gaming PC that will only stay relevant for a few years before it becomes dated. From someone who has both Steam and PS Plus, I still prefer PS Plus and console gaming because it's more comfortable for me.

• Like 3

suggestion: delete "furry" from the op, copy, paste on a forum for pc gamers...

ps3 is now dirt cheap and has free online...highly recommend it...if next generation is a must then buy ps+...a 15-year subscription would be about the same price as a decent gaming pc...

p.s. didn't bother reading the entire op...too much "fluff", lack of substance...may have missed the point.. 

15 hours ago, Natsuu24 said:

Is simple... tell him "Leave the best place to play, and go waste 1000€ on a PC, and after 4/5 years more 400€" ... Man, call the others "peasants"... And, is more cheap buy ps plus every year than a PC gaming...

• Free online multiplayer for most games (except games like WoW or FFXIV, of course)" - 50€ by year is not much, besides you get a lot of games and disconts that worth it!
  • Cheaper games, especially on huge Steam/GOG/Humble Bundle sales - The sales are almost the same for new games, sometimes is really better on PS Store... Cant compare Humble Bundle, G2A, etc,, because that are not legal (if you want, you have some sites that sell that too in low price)
  • A huge game library, from old games to modern ones - You have the same for PS
  • Different settings to suit your individual PC, from low settings suited for low-end PCs, to ultra settings for high-end PCs that out-perform consoles - Yeah, and the more age you get, the less time you will want to spent on things like that! Trust me! And a console is 300€ for 6/9 years ... PC is 1000€ for 2/3 years (if you want to keep the maximum graphics).
  • Mods! - In this one, i need to agree with you! (even if i dont like to use).

Next time, dont call "peasants". We are all gamers, even if we play PC, Console or whatever!

Humble Bundle is completely 100% legal.

I'd argue G2A is legal as well... though much more of a murky gray area.  It's really no different than eBay, just a site for people to re-sell stuff.  In this case it happens to be digital codes/gifts.  If obtained legitimately, I see no issue with that... I have a few codes I've picked up (legitimately) that I don't intend to use, and wouldn't mind making a quick buck on.  Just unfortunate that people get a shit ton of codes through exploits like regional pricing differences (which they started cracking down on) and de-value the game by selling for far less than retail.

Edited by Dreakon13

Why can't you just call them your friend? Furries are people too, probably.

You want a simple solution. Buy a PS3, the both of you. Shitloads of good games, free online, games is cheap, consoles is cheap, everything is cheap.

Not to be a Don Mattrick or anything.