insanity with imported character

maniek515

I recently started Mass Effect 2 with my Shepard from 1st game, it's on normal difficulty for sake of the story but I guess I will eventually go for plat and try insanity with the very same Shepard. I've read somewhere that it's better to start instanity playthrough with fresh, level 1 character because enemies somehow scale to your current level. I wonder if it's actually true and playing on insanity with high level character makes it more difficult than with newly created. 

Edited by maniek515

You can do it with your imported character but it will be slightly harder for you since while you are a high level, you have to use low level equipment for a while. It may also depend on what class you're using. I went through Insanity as a Sentinel since they had useful abilities that gave you armor and didn't have to rely on ammo too much. Infiltrator is also supposed to be a really good class with the only downside being you start off with the low-level sniper rifles. But other classes from what I gathered from looking around other forum posts had a much tougher time compared to those two, especially Soldier for some reason.

29 minutes ago, Redgrave said:

You can do it with your imported character but it will be slightly harder for you since while you are a high level, you have to use low level equipment for a while. It may also depend on what class you're using. I went through Insanity as a Sentinel since they had useful abilities that gave you armor and didn't have to rely on ammo too much. Infiltrator is also supposed to be a really good class with the only downside being you start off with the low-level sniper rifles. But other classes from what I gathered from looking around other forum posts had a much tougher time compared to those two, especially Soldier for some reason.

Ohh forgot to mention that I play as a soldier. What concerns me is power gamer trophy. As long as I hit level 30 within one playthrough, I don't mind playing insanity with new character but after couple of hours into the game and completing few side quests for 40 xp,  I doubt it's possible. Obviously sequel is way different from original game and doesn't reward you with crapload of experience for opening containers (:

3 minutes ago, maniek515 said:

Ohh forgot to mention that I play as a soldier. What concerns me is power gamer trophy. As long as I hit level 30 within one playthrough, I don't mind playing insanity with new character but after couple of hours into the game and completing few side quests for 40 xp,  I doubt it's possible. Obviously sequel is way different from original game and doesn't reward you with crapload of experience for opening containers (:

It's possible to get every single trophy in one playthrough, I did it with a level 1 sentinel on insanity since they have both tech/biotic powers

you can get enough xp on normal difficulty, doing all the other trophies. that's how i did it and i just need insane and a few misc power related trophies on my 2nd pt. 
having also used the solider class i can definitely say that ammo is going to be a problem.

16 minutes ago, Leenewbe said:

you can get enough xp on normal difficulty, doing all the other trophies. that's how i did it and i just need insane and a few misc power related trophies on my 2nd pt. 
having also used the solider class i can definitely say that ammo is going to be a problem.

Thanks for the heads up. I might have to consider picking up different class for insanity after all. 

I played through all three games from the start on Insanity using Infiltrator. ME2 was the hardest when starting from scratch. (ME3 was the easiest, granted I imported a level 30 ME2 character.) If you import an ME1 character into ME2, it makes it slightly easier because you'll start ME2 at level 5 or 6, giving you more points to spend on abilities. But I initially played ME2 before ME1 was available on PS3, so I didn't have the import option back then.

I'm playing ME2 on Insanity with a ME1 level 60 Import at the moment. Trying to get the Plat in one playthrough (I might need a small playthrough for the shooting people who you knocked down with melee trophy though, we'll see!)

Hopefully I didn't pick the wrong class haha I'm playing as a Solider right now, currently level 12 and have not really had any problems to be honest. You will die if you get greedy and you really do need to order your companions about or they will get killed / waste their abilities.

Hopefully I make it to the end as a Soldier I read on some other forum that it was a good class for Insanity, I do find it handy that you always have 4 weapons on hand so Ammo has not really been a problem. Hopefully it doesn't ramp up like crazy by the end ... Guess I will find out!

Edited by tpepper1985

4 hours ago, tpepper1985 said:

I'm playing ME2 on Insanity with a ME1 level 60 Import at the moment. Trying to get the Plat in one playthrough (I might need a small playthrough for the shooting people who you knocked down with melee trophy though, we'll see!)

Hopefully I didn't pick the wrong class haha I'm playing as a Solider right now, currently level 12 and have not really had any problems to be honest. You will die if you get greedy and you really do need to order your companions about or they will get killed / waste their abilities.

Hopefully I make it to the end as a Soldier I read on some other forum that it was a good class for Insanity, I do find it handy that you always have 4 weapons on hand so Ammo has not really been a problem. Hopefully it doesn't ramp up like crazy by the end ... Guess I will find out!

I'm used to soldier and I think I'm gonna carry on with him through insanity. Although someone already mentioned here that ammo might be biggest issue with soldier. Unforunetly I didn't have time to play ME past 2 weeks so I'm still around 3 hours into normal playthrough.  I guess I won't be starting insanity anytime soon. 

Edited by maniek515

Insanity run sucked for me when I did it first for my Xbox achievement. I'm currently working on my run for the trophy. I'm soldier class and it's not so much that it's difficult it's just time consuming. You have to play it safe for most of the combat encounters, one mistake and you'll likely die and have to redo that whole sequence. It can get frustrating but it's definitely doeable as a soldier. 

Ammo powers help a lot and choosing your squad member for each mission, if you know you'll be fighting Blood Pack take squad members with incinerate abilities, etc and as the other post mentioned, make sure to manually choose your squad's positions.

Biotics can be a nice touch, once an enemy only has health left not armour or shields, biotics like Pull can make it easier to take them out since they can't shoot back while under the effect of the power.

Edited by LiaraLight

Insanity isn't too bad imo. If you build your team to handle Armor, Shields, and Barriers, you should do fine. There are only a few dicey moments in the game involving an enemy that can float. If you play with a Soldier, use more tech and biotics heavy teammates. Since Shepard does the most damage anyway, you should be fairly effective especially with an Assault Rifle.

12 hours ago, LiaraLight said:

Insanity run sucked for me when I did it first for my Xbox achievement. I'm currently working on my run for the trophy. I'm soldier class and it's not so much that it's difficult it's just time consuming. You have to play it safe for most of the combat encounters, one mistake and you'll likely die and have to redo that whole sequence. It can get frustrating but it's definitely doeable as a soldier. 

Ammo powers help a lot and choosing your squad member for each mission, if you know you'll be fighting Blood Pack take squad members with incinerate abilities, etc and as the other post mentioned, make sure to manually choose your squad's positions.

Biotics can be a nice touch, once an enemy only has health left not armour or shields, biotics like Pull can make it easier to take them out since they can't shoot back while under the effect of the power.

Update: Okay, so after having six hours on my insanity run I was noticing it seemed to be taking me a really long time to make progress and I wasn't sure why I was struggling with it. I did a bit of research and discovered that using an imported character actually makes it harder because the enemies are matched to your level but you still have the lower level weapons to begin with.

I think other players mentioned that somewhere on this post but I can confirm insanity is much easier if you make a new character and don't import. I started a new playthrough today and have progressed much faster this way.

Also used the Infiltrator class instead of Soldier, having the incinerate ability helps a lot and even without importing if you finished the game before this run you still get to choose a bonus power depending on the trophies you unlocked in your first run.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, LiaraLight said:

Update: Okay, so after having six hours on my insanity run I was noticing it seemed to be taking me a really long time to make progress and I wasn't sure why I was struggling with it. I did a bit of research and discovered that using an imported character actually makes it harder because the enemies are matched to your level but you still have the lower level weapons to begin with.

I think other players mentioned that somewhere on this post but I can confirm insanity is much easier if you make a new character and don't import. I started a new playthrough today and have progressed much faster this way.

Also used the Infiltrator class instead of Soldier, having the incinerate ability helps a lot and even without importing if you finished the game before this run you still get to choose a bonus power depending on the trophies you unlocked in your first run.

Yea, I've read it on some forum that enemies scale to your level and that's the reason it's harder with imported character and considering opinions in this thread, I think I'm gonna do the same thing which is starting insanity with lvl 1 infiltrator as this class seems most useful. Unfortunetly it means I will need 3rd playthrough because I don't think I can get lvl 30 in one normal run. After all, I'm afraid ME2 platinum might take me longer than ME1. 

Edited by maniek515

I really did not find it difficult at the start with a level 5 imported soldier to be honest, I'm level 14 now and the difficulty has been pretty much the same all the way so far. If you are not in cover you will die quickly but nearly all the fights so far just have you taking pot shots out of cover anyway so it's not been a problem. I'm coming up to the next major story mission which I have heard is one of the hardest missions in the game so we will see how it goes.

• Like 1

On 17/07/2017 at 1:35 PM, LiaraLight said:

i have also started a new character playing infiltrator after trying to use my imported solider and can confirm its a breeze now. ;) 

On 18/07/2017 at 11:01 AM, tpepper1985 said:

I really did not find it difficult at the start with a level 5 imported soldier to be honest, I'm level 14 now and the difficulty has been pretty much the same all the way so far. If you are not in cover you will die quickly but nearly all the fights so far just have you taking pot shots out of cover anyway so it's not been a problem. I'm coming up to the next major story mission which I have heard is one of the hardest missions in the game so we will see how it goes.

insanity definitely needs to be done straight away if using an imported character so that the enemies level with you.

• Like 2

Just a small update from my side, I'm busy with Persona 4 Golden as well so my progress on ME2 has been a bit slow - But I finished Horizon the other day which I read was one of the hardest missions on Insantiy and it was pretty tough but I got there in the end. Must have died around 12 times or so during the mission, the part near the end when you have to fight two Scions and all of the Husks was the hardest bit for me ... I ended up soloing it by running and gunning I found staying in cover just was not working for me as a Soldier. Ammo was also a problem on the last wave based section by the last wave I was dry on all weapons ... But I noticed there was some ammo that kept respawning on the ground so I cheesed the hell out of that to beat it haha

As an infiltrator, the derelect Reaper was easily the hardest mission on Insanity, along with any encounter with multiple Scions. And Praetorians. Basically, anytime they threw a bunch of Husks at you. I recommend allies with shotguns for that mission and the mines side mission if you do it (which I don't recommend on Insanity) 

Soldiers are boring. 

15 hours ago, Auralancer42 said:

Soldiers are boring. 

? When I played the games originally on 360 years and years ago I did all 3 games as a Biotic, so soldier is nice shake up for me! I remember spending most of the game waiting for Warp to come off cooldown ... ?

Another update from me, I finished the collector ship mission which was pretty tough, but I picked up the Assault Rifle there and now have Warp Ammo at level 4 with all Assault Rifle upgrades and can pretty much destroy everything now. I'm level 22 and well the game got a hell of alot easier since that point I hardly die anymore, never run out of ammo and just mow everything down.

I don't think I'll have anymore issues finishing the game now, if I do I will let you know. So yeah it's possible to do this plat in one playthrough with an imported level 60 ME1 char.

Edited by tpepper1985

12 minutes ago, tpepper1985 said:

Another update from me, I finished the collector ship mission which was pretty tough, but I picked up the Assault Rifle there and now have Warp Ammo at level 4 with all Assault Rifle upgrades and can pretty much destroy everything now. I'm level 22 and well the game got a hell of alot easier since that point I hardly die anymore, never run out of ammo and just mow everything down.

I don't think I'll have anymore issues finishing the game now, if I do I will let you know. So yeah it's possible to do this plat in one playthrough with an imported level 60 ME1 char.

I am finally done with normal playthrough, I am gonna start insanity today but i guess I am still picking infiltrator since I have all other trophies (including Power Gamer). Nonetheless I admit, warp ammo is pretty op. 

Ps. To my suprise ME2 turned out to be pretty short. I took care of almost all side quests and was done within less than 20 hours. 

Edited by maniek515

Got my plat after my Insanity run last night :) The hardest part for me was definitely the Collector Ship mission when the two scions are on the moving platforms and Harbinger is there with the collectors. The cover was so terrible in that part and since cover is key to survival on Insanity it was quite annoying.

On 2.08.2017 at 2:15 PM, LiaraLight said:

Got my plat after my Insanity run last night :) The hardest part for me was definitely the Collector Ship mission when the two scions are on the moving platforms and Harbinger is there with the collectors. The cover was so terrible in that part and since cover is key to survival on Insanity it was quite annoying.

Shame on me but after 6 hours of torment, I finally gave up on insanity and obviously platinum. Very first fight during Jack recruitment mission was the breaking point. Everytime I peek out of my cover to take a shot at these charging mech puppies I die instantly due to being under constant fire. And honestly, I haven't dealt with so retarded teammates since Jaheira in first Baldur's Gate. I mean what is the point of putting them in cover if they don't hide at all, just standing, firing for 5 seconds and then make me burn medigel to revive them and the process repeats. Anyways, congrats pal, but I definetly won't be trying anymore. ME isn't that good of a game to be worth it.