Is this game based on anything?

Gr4de_04

So I just played the first chapter (a little late to the party I know) and I just felt like I'm just done with 50 hours-ish game with a satisfying ending or that feeling when you finish a great series. I know this is a telltale game basically and I'm not a sensitive guy or anything but I don't get this feeling often. I've played some other telltale games (although not much and not all on PS4) but with none of them I really felt anything and with this game, I already started to feel like halfway trough the episode. I was wondering if this game was based on a book or someone's real life experience

Spoiler

(Besides the obvious rewinding time super power of course)

, because this feels just too good. Or maybe it's just that great of a game. in which case good job developers. Does anyone else also feels like this or am I taking it to far? xD

PS: Kinda feels like i'm playing the game version of the anime ERASED btw.

• 2 weeks later...

Since it's active and I'm already here... is it actually worthwhile?

Like, it comes off as a bit pretentious from what I've heard, and it doesn't help that the only IRL people I know who liked it are massive pretentious tools. I'm down for a good episodic little thing, but honestly, the opinion of strangers is more valued for me on this one, thoughts?

1 hour ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

Well, Demon is kind of confirming my suspicions. 

The game has some "snowflake-ish" and "sjw-ish" vibes to the character and some hipster arts and directions choices, but it didn't spoil the story for me because I didn't found it too preachy. If you really have a really low tolerance for this kind of shit, stay away, if not, it's decent enough being "free" in PS+.

2 hours ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

Well, Demon is kind of confirming my suspicions. 

52 minutes ago, ElBolovo said:

The game has some "snowflake-ish" and "sjw-ish" vibes to the character and some hipster arts and directions choices, but it didn't spoil the story for me because I didn't found it too preachy. If you really have a really low tolerance for this kind of shit, stay away, if not, it's decent enough being "free" in PS+.

Don't get me wrong, the concept behind time travel is always appealing but it was executed poorly in this game, and as for the ending, my god..

• Like 2

As a 32 old male who lives in the Netherlands I found it somewhat difficult to relate to the main character, and it started to really grate on me how often she goes tells people how amazing / brilliant / great they are started to come off as really fake by the end of the game.

However the story as a whole and the especially the *minor spoiler* 

Spoiler

Time powers part of the story was very interesting, but I love the idea of messing with time

I actually found the back half of the game better than the start of it but that's just me. Since it was free on plus, hard not to recommend checking out to be honest. I will probably play the sequel when it's on sale after release. I guess the game did it's job because I found the last choice a hard one to make, you will see what I mean when you get there!

Edited by tpepper1985
  • Like 2

On 3-7-2017 at 1:57 AM, gamesfourever said:

I know this is a telltale game basically and I'm not a sensitive guy or anything but I don't get this feeling often.

I know what you mean, but technically it's not a Telltale game. It's made by Dontnod and published by Square Enix. Talltale has nothing to do with it (Sorry, just nitpicking, I know :))

2 hours ago, tpepper1985 said:

As a 32 old male who lives in the Netherlands...

...I thought the game was alright. I was considering buying it for a while, but I was never sure if it was worth it. Now with PS+ I gave it a shot and rather enjoyed it for what it was. I didn't take it too seriously, sometimes the teen slang was just funny to me, even if it was supposed to be serious. I'll probably get part 2 once all the episodes are bundled in a release. Probably not at release, but once the price drops a little.

These kind of games are great as a break from hard and/or time consuming platinums. And PS+ is nice enough to give loads of them for free.

16 minutes ago, Ric said:

I know what you mean, but technically it's not a Telltale game. It's made by Dontnod and published by Square Enix. Talltale has nothing to do with it (Sorry, just nitpicking, I know :))

I mean, It's still a heavy story driven game, I didn't meant it as publishers but as a type of gameplay.

8 minutes ago, tpepper1985 said:

As a 32 old male who lives in the Netherlands I found it somewhat difficult to relate to the main character, and it started to really grate on me how often she goes tells people how amazing / brilliant / great they are started to come off as really fake by the end of the game.

Reveal hidden contents

Time powers part of the story was very interesting, but I love the idea of messing with time

Yes! This! I basically asked everyone who enjoyed it and who didn't and the majority who disliked the game said that they were older people(sorry not calling you old lol) and or didn't go through this during highschool meaning there's practically nothing to connect to besides some little social issues here and there.

7 hours ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

Since it's active and I'm already here... is it actually worthwhile?

Like, it comes off as a bit pretentious from what I've heard, and it doesn't help that the only IRL people I know who liked it are massive pretentious tools. I'm down for a good episodic little thing, but honestly, the opinion of strangers is more valued for me on this one, thoughts?

I feel like it's something you have to make your own judgements on. When I first played through Episode One, I thought Max was a little grating, but I stuck with it because I was invested in Chloe. I love both of them, now, and LiS is easily in my top 10 games of all time (and is definitely my favorite CYOA).

But some of the stuff in the game really hit home for me, so I'm admittedly a little biased.

5 minutes ago, PooPooBlast said:

Yes! This! I basically asked everyone who enjoyed it and who didn't and the majority who disliked the game said that they were older people(sorry not calling you old lol) and or didn't go through this during highschool meaning there's practically nothing to connect to besides some little social issues here and there.

Maybe another point is I never went to University so I never had the whole living on a campus while growing up / reaching adult hood thing. I was already working 40 hours a week by the time I was 18

Edited by tpepper1985

i found this game to be super awesome, fun, sad and depressing. Some moments will make you sad, some will make you smile. I was very invested in it and it felt somewhat real idk lol. But to your question, you are definitely not alone,my friend is playing it right now and he feels the same way.

Edited by Xgamersurvivor

Yes, game is based on overly lameass teenage drama and sjws. You are practically a god damn annoying skinny teenage girl who's obsessed with making the world a better place by taking photos and live in a dorm. OH MY GOD WHY I CANT BE ONE OF COOL GIRLS BUUUU HUU. Rich and beautiful girl is picking on me but now l have super powers buu huuu.
Story is pretty retarded too

just tell that your stupid friend's stupid father that if he picks up his wife he'll die, and if he doesn't die just tell him not to buy his daughter a god damn car. It's not rocket science damn it.

That game sucks donkey balls.

Edited by MilanYildirim
Raged so hard went super saiyajin and mistyped.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, PooPooBlast said:

To throw your findings out of whack... I played through the game when I was 36, and I can't stand hispters or pretentious movies, TV, or music. I didn't find the game especially pretentious AND I didn't go through those issues when I was in high school. I have also never been a teenage girl. :) And I enjoyed the game a lot.

I think the difference between people who liked the characters and those who didn't, may be due more to gamers who are able to identify with characters vastly different from themselves. I saw this pop up back in my PC gaming days regarding Grand Theft Auto San Andreas, people would say they didn't like the player character because they couldn't relate unlike the "superior" Vice City. Which made me concerned that people could more easily relate to a guy rising through the ranks of the mafia...

Anyway, @Super-Fly Spider-Guy, I can't guarantee you'll like it, but you can try the first episode and judge for yourself.

Edited by MosesRockefeller
  • Like 3

I started this game when only the first two episodes were out and it was one of my best gaming experiences that year. It's a bit like Twin Peaks in both story and setting, it's a bit slice of life, it has music that I normally listen to, deals with some topics that I've had to deal with too (pesky time travel..., I kid, I kid). I do think it's one of those games that loses its power when you're late to the party. When there are so many people talking about how amazing something is, it can only disappoint.

One thing I don't understand is why people call it pretentious. It's a teen girl who's into photography and art. This is pretty much what a lot of them are IRL. Source: I work at a web agency. :-P

4 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

To throw your findings out of whack... I played through the game when I was 36, and I can't stand hispters or pretentious movies, TV, or music. I didn't find the game especially pretentious AND I didn't go through those issues when I was in high school. I have also never been a teenage girl. :) And I enjoyed the game a lot.

I think the difference between people who liked the characters and those who didn't, may be due more to gamers who are able to identify with characters vastly different from themselves. I saw this pop up back in my PC gaming days regarding Grand Theft Auto San Andreas, people would say they didn't like the player character because they couldn't relate unlike the "superior" Vice City. Which made me concerned that people could more easily relate to a guy rising through the ranks of the mafia...

Anyway, @Super-Fly Spider-Guy, I can't guarantee you'll like it, but you can try the first episode and judge for yourself.

Yea definitely. That's why I said the majority :) Also I even told my friend that this will be a sjw simulator as soon as I saw Chloe lmao. But boy I was wrong. I really loved the story and it hit me hard hard in the feels too!

It's also really reminiscent of the movie , Mean Girls. 

Edited by PooPooBlast

9 hours ago, tpepper1985 said:

Maybe another point is I never went to University so I never had the whole living on a campus while growing up / reaching adult hood thing. I was already working 40 hours a week by the time I was 18

I never went to university either, and neither university or college is nothing like u see in the Game. In the Netherlands, Campus and dorms don't even exist here. or if they are they are really rare.

Edited by gamesfourever