Has anyone experienced any issues present in this trilogy that weren't in the originals?

I'm wondering if I'm the only one for example in this remake I've noticed some things are different such as:

.A delay in button pressing (whether it's square or double jumping)

. If you stop at any moment you lose all your momentum so when you try and jump on a new ledge, you fall to your death

. Constantly clipping though ledges and boxes

. The height you jump is significantly lower so trying to jump over a green box without any momentum, you will land on the box.

I understand that Vicarious Visions wanted to stay absolute true to the originals but changing the way the game plays (as they've even said they've done) they should have tweaked the layout slightly also.

I'm not saying it's a bad game but it really isn't that good either due to the changes of how it works makes it seem like cheap deaths in my opinion... The originals are defiantly far better IMO :)...

What are your guy's thoughts?

I'm pretty sure those were all issues in the original ones. Though it's been over 10 years since I've played any of them.

It kinda makes me want to go load up the original one on the PS3 (snagged it for a dollar a couple years ago).

I may come back to this and let you know...

Edited by Beyondthegrave07

55 minutes ago, ZachBoardyHD said:

thats what i feel most, button input delay. First i thought i was just not timing it right , but than i did some tests and there is an significant input delay.  I mean your brain is good enough to get muscle memory for even delayed reactions , but sometimes it gets annoying .   I love the triology and it is not game breaking for me , but playing a lot of rythm games make me feel button input delay way more. : /

I've noticed after I spin once I can't spin again straight away, there's like a second delay which has cost me countless lives. I thought it was intentional but now I'm beginning to doubt...

Edited by Hogie838
  • Like 1

I mean I just think people are trying to find reasons they are bad. Like if there was an input delay there probably already was. I beat the originals and they were tough. These were tough too. But I did it quickly because the experience was near identical to how i played it in ps1

The loading is longer then in the originals.

others issues I had sometimes side to side movement seems stiff

going through a box that didn't load from hitting a '!'box

Can I say this is a issue for me, the music forhog wild imo sucks compared to original one :P

the music for the platforms you spin in the grate gate the Sound they make now absolutely sucks imo :P 

input delay I've had that happen a couple times 

but still a great game

Couple times I'd swear the hit detection was off and I died without reason, I was pretty sure at the time, but tbh I could have just been shit.

You can die as many times as you want and still get the gem if you smash all the boxes in a level, I'd call that an issue since it removes any real semblance of challenge. 

There are a lot of problems, and it gives me the shits when people just go "you're just bad it was originally like this". Nitros in the original release of 2 didn't jump about five feet in the air without warning while you're jumping over them on a 2D plane. The levels aren't designed around this and they can't just add shit from 3 to the other games for the sake of it. It's incredibly cheap and can cost you a run through no fault of your own. The penguins also have absolutely no tells when they spin, the ice completely kills your momentum and the hitbox for enemies in all 3 games is very inconsistent. For all of their faults Vicarious Visions have been incredibly receptive with criticism of the collection and are one of the few devs in this day and age to not blame gamers and call them "whiny" or "entitled", so to encourage people to not speak out against clear problems with the release isn't constructive in the slightest and ensures that these problems won't get fixed. I platinumed 2 and 3 very quickly so it's not like I'm shit at the games either, but 2 was a lot harder than it needed to be. These were problems not in the original release and if you're going to fuck around with the physics engine at least do it with regard to the way the levels were designed. That's not even getting into the numerous glitches I've discovered across all three games over the course of the last four days. Some people do complain for the sake of it but don't brow beat people for pointing out clear issues. I'm sick of this culture of blaming the consumer for everything. Other mediums don't tolerate it so why should video games? We're paying for a functional product and should receive as such. 

Here is a great list of all of the problems which I've personally encountered most of. 

https://www.crashmania.net/en/games/crash-bandicoot-n-sane-trilogy/changes/

6 minutes ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

Couple times I'd swear the hit detection was off and I died without reason, I was pretty sure at the time, but tbh I could have just been shit.

You can die as many times as you want and still get the gem if you smash all the boxes in a level, I'd call that an issue since it removes any real semblance of challenge. 

Nah the hit detection is fucked. In Toxic Waste I get randomly hurt by the enemies despite clearly spinning them, and in 3 a frog hit me despite me clearly spinning it. I once randomly died in 3 after getting knocked off the baby T-Rex from lava, and just died when I was standing in the water after the grace period was over. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ZachBoardyHD said:

I'm wondering if I'm the only one for example in this remake I've noticed some things are different such as:

. If you stop at any moment you lose all your momentum so when you try and jump on a new ledge, you fall to your death

. The height you jump is significantly lower so trying to jump over a green box without any momentum, you will land on the box.

Got them all lol. I'll be honest though most of this seems to happen to me a lot more in the first game than the 2nd. I constantly land on a ledge and Crash will move backwards and just fall off. And yeah when it comes to the Nitro boxes I even time when the little shit doesn't jump up and ruin a run, I've cleared quite a few and I still somehow trigger the box. Maybe Crash is letting one rip while he's jumping over and the wind somehow triggers the box. :dunno: 

3 minutes ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

I think that's only for the White Gems. I think the color gems require you not to die.

Hit detection is weird... in one of the levels in 2... Road to Ruin or Ruination, can't recall which, I was certain those flaming statues had stopped flaming so I could jump and continue on, but I still got it regardless, cost me lives.  It's as if just a very tiny flame lingered just a little longer, even though I was certain it wasn't even there when I went to make the jump.

And in 3, I'm sure the double jump sometimes does not go off when needing to clear TNT crates or Nitro crates.  Example, a bonus round in I think it's Double Header, there's TNT next to a box arrow crate, outline crates above it, the ! crate is a bit further on, so need to double jump over the TNT without setting it off, yet, I'm sure when I go to double jump, if Crash or Coco are near the TNT, they'll instead, land on it instead of double jumping over it... gets a little bit annoying.

I'm finding the buttons aren't anywhere near as responsive as they should be but that could be just me mediocre.  It's not going to be an easy plat that's for sure.  

Just a quick question on the first crash do you need to not die to get the gem for all boxes.  ?

4 hours ago, DrakeHellsing said:

Hit detection is weird... in one of the levels in 2... Road to Ruin or Ruination, can't recall which, I was certain those flaming statues had stopped flaming so I could jump and continue on, but I still got it regardless, cost me lives.  It's as if just a very tiny flame lingered just a little longer, even though I was certain it wasn't even there when I went to make the jump.

And in 3, I'm sure the double jump sometimes does not go off when needing to clear TNT crates or Nitro crates.  Example, a bonus round in I think it's Double Header, there's TNT next to a box arrow crate, outline crates above it, the ! crate is a bit further on, so need to double jump over the TNT without setting it off, yet, I'm sure when I go to double jump, if Crash or Coco are near the TNT, they'll instead, land on it instead of double jumping over it... gets a little bit annoying.

YES. The double jump I felt was notoriously temperamental and did not work at times, costing me lives and runs. 

3 minutes ago, LunchCannon54 said:

YES. The double jump I felt was notoriously temperamental and did not work at times, costing me lives and runs. 

Yeah I know, even in one or two bonus levels in particular where it was needed to be done.  Such as one of the tomb levels, had to double jump and tornado spin over nitro... and I swear it did not work correctly, either the double jump did not work right, or the tornado spin didn't.

But yeah, I'm sure that the double jump in particular does not respond correctly sometimes, costing runs as well x.x

I think people just have poor memory and haven't played the originals in years when they claim there are issues that weren't in the originals, because I did the right thing in playing each of these games side by side switching TV inputs between my PS3 for the PS1 version and PS4 level by level and for the most part I had the same issues I had in the original, though I don't remember The High Road being this ridiculously difficult. Most often I hear about Slippery Climb being the hardest level which making me go for that red gem in one life made it seem easier, but geez, I lost 30-40 lives on The High Road playing normally and I spent a whole afternoon on its time trial just trying to survive it.

Edited by Potter13579

47 minutes ago, Potter13579 said:

I think people just have poor memory and haven't played the originals in years when they claim there are issues that weren't in the originals, because I did the right thing in playing each of these games side by side switching TV inputs between my PS3 for the PS1 version and PS4 level by level and for the most part I had the same issues I had in the original, though I don't remember The High Road being this ridiculously difficult. Most often I hear about Slippery Climb being the hardest level which making me go for that red gem in one life made it seem easier, but geez, I lost 30-40 lives on The High Road playing normally and I spent a whole afternoon on its time trial just trying to survive it.

The fact that you lost 30-40 lives on The High Road suggests that something has been changed. The only thing I remember from this game was that I had a ton of lives when I was younger and now I continued way too often. I think there is a minor delay which becomes more apparent in levels like "Diggin' It". Those fucking bees killed me so many times and I swear I hit the button on time. 

I thought other people did compare side by side and mentioned that it was different for the older versions.  

16 hours ago, ZachBoardyHD said:

I understand that Vicarious Visions wanted to stay absolute true to the originals but changing the way the game plays (as they've even said they've done) they should have tweaked the layout slightly also.

I'm not saying it's a bad game but it really isn't that good either due to the changes of how it works makes it seem like cheap deaths in my opinion... The originals are defiantly far better IMO :)...

What are your guy's thoughts?

Played the original last night for a hour or two...

These were all issues in the original without a doubt. I clipped through the edges and sometimes through the entire platform (when it was moving). Jumping did have an input delay and you without a doubt needed momentum to cross certain areas or you die.

This game sticks to its roots for good and bad. Though I got pretty good at it after an hour. You just have to keep moving forward.

2 hours ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

Played the original last night for a hour or two...

These were all issues in the original without a doubt. I clipped through the edges and sometimes through the entire platform (when it was moving). Jumping did have an input delay and you without a doubt needed momentum to cross certain areas or you die.

This game sticks to its roots for good and bad. Though I got pretty good at it after an hour. You just have to keep moving forward.

I think the input delay is the most annoying thing to deal with. Thankfully the time trials only require a gold relic. Any time you have something that says, "Do this thing as fast as possible" you have to hope for solid controls since it tends to push the accuracy to its limits.

Edit: Yeah, fuck these controls. They should have fixed this. I'm losing precious seconds on random time trials just because Crash gets stuck on some random invisible ledge on the ground. Also why do time trials end when you get to the warp point? Why does Crash get stuck on random invisible ledges in the warp room? Why did the icicles hit me that time? Why is Crash randomly doing a body slam? Why won't Crash move off the platform? So many questions for this shoddily put together pile of shit.

Edited by Beatmania2dxs
  • Like 1

Do you think maybe we were just better at it 20 years ago? Maybe we had better reflexes. When I was younger I could complete Super Mario with one life. I knew when to jump and where to jump - of course I played it for months! We just need need more practice and remember: we've been playing for less than a week so I'm sure we'll get better at it. I find with trophies I'm rushing to try and get games finished where as years ago I would really take my time and didn't care how long it took to complete a game. I blame trophies on it anyway ?

51 minutes ago, Hogie838 said:

Do you think maybe we were just better at it 20 years ago? Maybe we had better reflexes. When I was younger I could complete Super Mario with one life. I knew when to jump and where to jump - of course I played it for months! We just need need more practice and remember: we've been playing for less than a week so I'm sure we'll get better at it. I find with trophies I'm rushing to try and get games finished where as years ago I would really take my time and didn't care how long it took to complete a game. I blame trophies on it anyway 1f61b.png

Who knows. There is definitely an issue with input delay with the new release, which can cause issues during speedy trial runs and an insane amount of frustration. That's unfair. I don't think the original Crash 2 had trial runs. Trial runs quickly reveal poor control, hit box, and input design. So maybe some of these issues existed before but just weren't as apparent because there weren't any trial runs. 

Piston it Away is one of the worst levels I've ever fucking seen. Like, wow, what an all around gross mess of flawed design. It brings out the worst elements of every poorly designed part of the controls all at once. Good job, retards (Vicarious).

1 hour ago, Hogie838 said:

Do you think maybe we were just better at it 20 years ago? Maybe we had better reflexes. When I was younger I could complete Super Mario with one life. I knew when to jump and where to jump - of course I played it for months! We just need need more practice and remember: we've been playing for less than a week so I'm sure we'll get better at it. I find with trophies I'm rushing to try and get games finished where as years ago I would really take my time and didn't care how long it took to complete a game. I blame trophies on it anyway 1f61b.png

I've been thinking about this lol. The last time I played, realistically, I was probably 15. 26 now and even though my memory of a majority of the games I've ever played is shit...I just don't remember struggling with the CB games and I know that I've beaten them. I might be having some problems with my left thumb/wrist, but I doubt the pain could bother me that much. :dunno: I suppose with platformers just not being my thing I could be an inferior player in the game than my younger self though.

I know there have been some bullshit moments too however. Since it's happening to others I'm just glad to know it's not just me. :P 

• Like 1