Will i enjoy this game?

imOvray

Hello :) so im not a huge fan of anime games yet i have loved the Oneechanbara series and some japanese rpg games (NieR <3) but still im not conviced by this game.. at first that playstation store trailer almost made me buy it blind but after watching some gameplay and test it seems like a magic hack n slash rpg open world game with different caracter to play with? if so is the story still good and interesting? it's nice to play different caracter but develloper don't put as much effort into 10 caracters then they would for one single caracter... im also septic about the all magic fighting gameplay i saw... seems like 50% of the playable caracter rely on magic attack :l not a big fan of magic fight (can still taste the salt of crystal souls spear on ds3 ^^) and prefer melee fighting a lot more. Are the fighting mechanic good? or is it the basic mash :square: :triangle: gameplay? 

So yh give me your tought on why you love/hate this game and if it's worth getting it now (35€ on EU sales).

Thanks for the reply in advance and forgive my poor english.

1 minute ago, Edunstar84 said:

I'm pretty sure Berseria has the demo. Why not play that?

i always miss these as i buy games on pc playstation store ^^ thanks for the advice i'll try it when i get on :) hopefully there's not to much spoilers in the demo

Combat is a bit weak in this game. Some characters just aren't fun to use, some are very fun. Story is very strong though. One of my favorite stories in recent memory. Not really an open world game, it's pretty linear, but with big areas to explore. Music isn't the greatest, but isn't bad. Game runs very well. Overall, I'd recommend it. I was very pleased with it.

• Like 1

I've played a number of the Tales games and put in 120 hours into this game to get the platinum trophy, and from a battle system point of view it's great. It's an action style system, similar to games like Kingdom Hearts and there are 6 playable characters, but 4 in the party at any one time. The game itself is as easy or as hard as you want it to be, since you can change the difficulty setting from simple, normal, hard, evil and chaos. The story is pretty interesting, although it's easier to get into it if you watch the anime of or play the game Tales of Zesteria. 

Regarding your question on magic, out of the 6 characters, all can play as physical to some extent. Velvet and Rokurou are only physical, Eizen is half magic and half physical (strong in both), Elenor is 75% physical and 25% magic (but mostly based on stringing high combo chains). But Laphicet and Magilou or almost entirely magic with very bad physical power. So you can still play as any of the characters with just physical and maybe leave magic to the AI. Best for Melee are Velvet, Rokurou and Elenor. 

About open world, no this game is not open world. It does have a number of side quests you can do, but it's nothing like Western open world games.

About battle mechanic, it can be either smash and win if you play on simple mode, but on hard difficulties you need to get good at evading, combos and using the various game mechanics to win without dying. So it depends on how you want to play. Playing as other characters besides Velvet need more skill, so if you want a more technical battle I suggest switching around who you play as.

What I liked:

• The battle system is one of the best in the series. It's very fluid, fast, easy to get into and quite fun.
  • The characters are great. It's what I love most about Tales and the games put a huge emphasis on the characters more than anything else and it's the thing that most fans get into. 
  • Story: Berseria is one of my favourite stories compared to the other Tales. The reason is that the majority of tales games are the typical "Hero boy" who wants to save the world from some villian. However in Berseria (and also Vesperia), you play as the outlaw character going against the law, so it's darker but I liked this aspect. It doesn't feel as childish compared to the common shining hero stories.
  • Variable difficulties that can be switched at any time, so it's an accessible game to both newcomers and veterans.
  • Very humorous, and interesting dialogue in the form of mini conversations called "skits", which are unique to the Tales games.
  • Only one missable trophy.

Negatives:

• Only applies to trophy hunters, but this plat is very very grindy and needs a lot of perseverance and patience. It is easy to to get though and doesn't need much skill, just time. 
  • Healing and recovery are very bad in this game. Unlike previous games where there's usually one character who keeps the party alive, in this game healing effects are very minimal and spread out between the characters. The game is more about going in for the kill and defeating enemies as quick as possible as opposed to conservatively running around the battle field and healing.
  • Velvet (main character) is a whole lot more overpowered than the rest, so it's easy to end up only playing as her. 

In Between: 

• Tales games have NG+ and encourage 2 playthrough's by making leveling up extremely slow after a certain point, and shoving a "reach level 200 trophy" into the mix. The NG+ feature allows you to unlock bonuses like up to x6 exp gain, double Gald (money) etc. using grade points which are earned after battles depending on how you do and the difficulty level. This is a good thing for people who really get into the game, but a pain for those who just want the plat without having to play through the whole story again.
  • I had played the Japanese version, but I saw quite a few of game magazine reviews and people online remarking on the bad voice acting. The good thing is that you can switch between English and Japanese voices, and I saw on Youtube that a lot of players seem to use the JP voices. Tales in general have poor English voice acting for some reason, especially compared to other jrpgs, don't know why this is though. This opinion varies between people of course.

Worth €35? I would say play the demo and watch a few of the Youtube videos first to see if your into this kind of game, as it is an anime style game with a lot of references to the past series for long term fans. It might be cheaper second hand as a physical copy and you can sell it after your done with it. 

• Like 2

Thank you all for the advice especially @Lava_Yuki who completly answered all my question :) im going to buy it for sure ^^ i dont mind dropping 100h on a platinum for a game im enjoying! Im enjoying jap game more and more so hopefully this will reconfort me about anime visual

• Like 1

The Tales games are great! The demo for this game isn't though. If you own a ps3 you could start with another Tales game as they are pretty cheap right now and see if you like it. Tales of Berseria is at the top of my wishlist, but I'll wait until it's cheaper.

5 hours ago, imOvray said:

Thank you all for the advice especially @Lava_Yuki who completly answered all my question :) im going to buy it for sure ^^ i dont mind dropping 100h on a platinum for a game im enjoying! Im enjoying jap game more and more so hopefully this will reconfort me about anime visual

Awesome, glad my advice was useful! I hope you enjoy the game !