Worth getting a PS4 PRO?

AJ_Radio

Just a quick question I would like to ask you guys who own a Pro.

Personally I don't think it's worth it right now simply because not a whole lot of games have PRO support. Even though games like the upcoming God of War and Horizon Zero Dawn look absolutely amazing on the latest system, I can't find too many reasons to go out and buy it, especially when I have the vanilla PS4 that is running just fine after two years.

But would it be a good investment in the near future? The pricetag isn't too much, although the Slim is basically everything the vanilla PS4 is, only smaller and with a better WiFi chip.

I suppose as this console generation will come to a close within two to four years a Pro is well worth the time and investment. But for now I don't really think it's worth the trouble.

• Like 1

Do you have a 4k TV? It might be worth it.

If not, definitely not.

This might seem like common sense, but I know a ton of people that bought one without a 4ktv.... I don't understand how 60fps on a few more games and a few seconds off load times is worth a couple hundred bucks. Boggles my mind.

• Like 2

Consider the following questions. If you can answer most of them with yes, the Pro is a good choice for you. If not, then don't buy it and wait for the PS5.

Do you have a 4k TV? While 1080p TVs also benefit from the additional power, you need a 4k TV to make use of all improvements.

Do you care about 60 FPS? You can choose between 60 FPS and 4k. 60 FPS is always available, 4k only on 4k TVs.

Is graphics among the more important parts of a game?

Do you want faster loading times?

Do you primarily play AAA games? Non-AAA games rarely get PS4 Pro support, if that's what you play, it's probably not worth it.

Do you need more than 500 GB internal memory and don't want to use an external HDD?

• Like 4

It depends what kind of deal you can get for one. If you have an OG PS4 to sell and are looking at a Pro at MSRP, you'd still be paying around $200 out of pocket which isn't worth it for the marginal improvement you'd get in most games. I'm happy with my Pro, but I got a good deal on it back in January-- after selling my old PS4 I paid about $70 out of pocket for it plus the new(est) Resident Evil and Deus Ex games. For that price I'm very pleased with my investment. For $200, or god forbid $400? Maybe not so much.

20 minutes ago, angelgrievous said:

I bought a Pro because I knew I was going to be getting PSVR. I love it very much.  Games look great, VR looks much better than it did with the vanilla PS4.  

Is the difference in psvr really noticeable with pro vs original? 

I may have to reconsider my decision to forgo the pro. I think psvr looks good as is, but I if it can look and work better... Hnnm

I got one a couple of months ago when my PS4 died.

I put my friend's hard drive in my launch day model because they had 1tb and didn't use it, and I had 500gb obviously and could use the space. Apparently Sony used a cheap shitty hard drive on her's because it started making this clicky noise, which I later looked up and found out to be colloquially known as "the click of death" wherein a hard drive is completely shot and makes that sound. I shoved in my PS3's 500gb hard drive and tried to reformat it, downloaded the PS4 updates and all that and it didn't wanna work on that drive either, so I'd wager the drive fail did something to the PS4 since it couldn't seem to read the other HDD despite claiming it could, it worked fine when I threw it back in the PS3. Anyways, I ended up trading it in to EB because the only time you get something half decent is when you trade toward other shit. I got I think around 250 odd for it, which is pretty good considering the slims are pretty well always 300 and have been as low as 280 new. Kinda fucking annoyed because JB dropped their price on the Pro a week or so back by a hundred bucks but oh well, anyway, I put that and a stack of old shitty games I bought for easy plats in the day that I never got to toward a Pro and voila.

So with my OG PS4 traded for a Pro, I moved on to the glory that is true 100% legit totally not bullshit 100% completely real I swear bro 4K gaming.

And it's not worth it.

I mean, I knew that, obviously, but I figured fuck it, if I'm buying a PS4 in 2017 I may as well get the Pro. 

There has been a couple of times where the Pro has been nice though. I played through a bit of InFamous First Light not long after getting it and I knew the game was already pretty, but unless my memory is lying, it's never been THIS pretty, the game is fucking gorgeous and somehow manages to be even more vibrant and beautiful than before, same presumably applies to Second Son.

The other one, more surprisingly, is Knack. It offers upon start up 2 options, high res mode, or high FPS mode. Knack was never ugly and Knack was never dropping frames like acid, at least for me, so I figured fuck it and picked the higher res mode. Shit a brick this game looked good. After a few more days replaying through it when I had the time (and almost finally being able to call the platinum mine, though I might save it for the day before Knack 2 comes out, because sentimentality) I ended up hitting the higher frame rate mode and it was night and day, to me at least. Played through a fair bit with the missus and she swears she can't see any difference, but he eyes aren't 100% and she's not a hardcore gamer, so it's perfectly believable, but to me at least, I swear, the thing was like butter. It just ran so god damned well. Interestingly though, the cutscenes could still use a bit of work in the FPS department, but after your first playthrough you're probs skipping them anyways.

Modern Warfare looks amazing on it, but it looked amazing on OG PS4 back last year, no noticeable difference to me personally, doesn't mean there's not one though. Crash also claims to be enhanced, but I haven't played it on a boring old PS4 so I can't compare, I can say it looks fucking great on the Pro though.

Honestly. I'd say keep the PS4 you have because that will get you all the PS4 stuff you want, and if you have a few hundred to throw around, put it toward an XboneX or even just a cheap Xbone S, can never have too many options when it comes to games, and the PS4 Pro is more of the same than a new thing.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Dav9834 said:

Is the difference in psvr really noticeable with pro vs original? 

I may have to reconsider my decision to forgo the pro. I think psvr looks good as is, but I if it can look and work better... Hnnm

I noticed a difference in resolution immediately but I guess it really depends on the devs.  Here is a good article to read on it:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-how-does-ps4-pro-improve-the-psvr-experience

15 minutes ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

I got one a couple of months ago when my PS4 died.

Reveal hidden contents

I put my friend's hard drive in my launch day model because they had 1tb and didn't use it, and I had 500gb obviously and could use the space. Apparently Sony used a cheap shitty hard drive on her's because it started making this clicky noise, which I later looked up and found out to be colloquially known as "the click of death" wherein a hard drive is completely shot and makes that sound. I shoved in my PS3's 500gb hard drive and tried to reformat it, downloaded the PS4 updates and all that and it didn't wanna work on that drive either, so I'd wager the drive fail did something to the PS4 since it couldn't seem to read the other HDD despite claiming it could, it worked fine when I threw it back in the PS3. Anyways, I ended up trading it in to EB because the only time you get something half decent is when you trade toward other shit. I got I think around 250 odd for it, which is pretty good considering the slims are pretty well always 300 and have been as low as 280 new. Kinda fucking annoyed because JB dropped their price on the Pro a week or so back by a hundred bucks but oh well, anyway, I put that and a stack of old shitty games I bought for easy plats in the day that I never got to toward a Pro and voila.

So with my OG PS4 traded for a Pro, I moved on to the glory that is true 100% legit totally not bullshit 100% completely real I swear bro 4K gaming.

And it's not worth it.

I mean, I knew that, obviously, but I figured fuck it, if I'm buying a PS4 in 2017 I may as well get the Pro. 

There has been a couple of times where the Pro has been nice though. I played through a bit of InFamous First Light not long after getting it and I knew the game was already pretty, but unless my memory is lying, it's never been THIS pretty, the game is fucking gorgeous and somehow manages to be even more vibrant and beautiful than before, same presumably applies to Second Son.

The other one, more surprisingly, is Knack. It offers upon start up 2 options, high res mode, or high FPS mode. Knack was never ugly and Knack was never dropping frames like acid, at least for me, so I figured fuck it and picked the higher res mode. Shit a brick this game looked good. After a few more days replaying through it when I had the time (and almost finally being able to call the platinum mine, though I might save it for the day before Knack 2 comes out, because sentimentality) I ended up hitting the higher frame rate mode and it was night and day, to me at least. Played through a fair bit with the missus and she swears she can't see any difference, but he eyes aren't 100% and she's not a hardcore gamer, so it's perfectly believable, but to me at least, I swear, the thing was like butter. It just ran so god damned well. Interestingly though, the cutscenes could still use a bit of work in the FPS department, but after your first playthrough you're probs skipping them anyways.

Modern Warfare looks amazing on it, but it looked amazing on OG PS4 back last year, no noticeable difference to me personally, doesn't mean there's not one though. Crash also claims to be enhanced, but I haven't played it on a boring old PS4 so I can't compare, I can say it looks fucking great on the Pro though.

Honestly. I'd say keep the PS4 you have because that will get you all the PS4 stuff you want, and if you have a few hundred to throw around, put it toward an XboneX or even just a cheap Xbone S, can never have too many options when it comes to games, and the PS4 Pro is more of the same than a new thing.

No Switch love?  Of all people...

• Like 2

Look, Sell your current PS4 and buy the Pro.

I sold my old PS4 on ebay with the controller and the accessories and a game i didn't want anymore for 250$ after buying the Pro for $400. Total upgrade price of $150. that 150 bucks was definitely worth it for me since it included:

• a terabyte hard drive upgrade,
  • a newer controller (mine was wearing down),
  • faster OS stuff (start up and menu navigation),
  • a quieter box,
  • the 1080p visual upgrades,
  • better VR capabilities for when i do get a PSVR
  • and future proofing for when i do get a 4KTV. 

It was absolutely worth it

Edited by speedydmp
forgot VR
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, speedydmp said:

Look, Sell your current PS4 and buy the Pro.

I sold my old PS4 on ebay with the controller and the accessories and a game i didn't want anymore for 250$ after buying the Pro for $400. Total upgrade price of $150. that 150 bucks was definitely worth it for me since it included a terabyte hard drive upgrade, a newer controller (mine was wearing down), faster OS stuff, a quieter box, the 1080p upgrades, and future proofing for when i do get a 4KTV. 

It was absolutely worth it

While I respect your opinion, from what I've seen in videos and descriptions the PRO isn't a huge difference, at least not for too many people as the vanilla PS4 is still more commonplace. 

I played Horizon Zero Dawn the other day on my alt and it still looks amazing on the original PS4. Of course it wasn't completely mind blowing as it would be on a PRO and 4K TV but the game is more than enough, suitable for me and my needs. 

I can definitely see myself getting a PRO a year or two from now as the price should drop. There will still be people out there who want a PS4 regardless if it's the original or not, and I should get some money back from selling it. 

All in all I'm just curious as to what people think about buying the PRO today as Sony and other giant companies like Ubisoft will be showcasing 4K quality from now on. They have to meet source quality and keep up with high expectations.

Assassins Creed Origins will most definitely see an upgrade for PlayStation gamers with a PRO and 4K TV. I look forward to that game when it comes out. Same thing with Wolfenstein II The Colossus. Both will probably have a PS4 PRO label on the back cover, meaning the games will look fantastic in 4K. If I just play these games on a 1080p TV with the original PS4, they may not look too much better than Assassins Creed Syndicate and Wolfenstein The New Order respectively, their predecessors. These games will see an upgrade in graphics. The gameplay, the meat and potatoes? Not so much. 

The Crash Bandicoot trilogy probably won't see much of a difference at all simply because those games aren't so much about the graphics as they are about the platforming and the overall gameplay. Gameplay always come first. 

Maybe I'm missing out if I wait a while longer. Maybe buying the PRO next year will be completely worth it. Right now I don't know if shelling hundreds of bucks for a PRO and a 4K TV is really worth all the hassle. Plus I would have to transfer everything over and download all the Pro patches, which will take quite a while.

• Like 1

i wasn't saying you should do it just for the potential visual upgrades. (although from what i've seen and heard from my friend whose fully upgraded, 4K and HDR are definitely very noticeable upgrades in Horizon when we compared it side by side to the base PS4)

I know that i'm going to get a 4K hdr tv and a psvr eventually, so i want to have the pro to go when i get them. Now, for me, it's not really possible to buy the pro and a tv or a pro and the vr at the same time. It's better fro me to space those purchases out over a stretch of time. In that upgrade process, the pro comes first.

The main reasons why i went ahead and bought it as soon as i did was all the other upgrades i mentioned above. Upgrading cost me net $150. Factoring in the hard drive upgrade i was wanting (would cost 50 bucks) and the new controller (would cost 50 bucks), that means a quieter and better box, faster OS software operation. future proofing, and improvements to my current games basically cost me 50 bucks? That was unquestionably worth it to me.

Edited by speedydmp
grammar

1 hour ago, angelgrievous said:

I noticed a difference in resolution immediately but I guess it really depends on the devs.  Here is a good article to read on it:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-how-does-ps4-pro-improve-the-psvr-experience

No Switch love?  Of all people...

Switch is 480 RRP here.

Xbone S with 3 games is 270 anywhere new, and you can trade those games easy for 50 at least. 

The comparatively underpowered and riskier Switch, no matter how much I love mine, is more than twice the price. It's not worth that, when shit could still easily go south and it could become another Wii U. I don't think it will, and I sure as shit hope it won't, but that risk is real, and it's not worth paying a premium for an underpowered risk. That being said, I'd midnight launch mine again any day.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, speedydmp said:

i wasn't saying you should do it just for the potential visual upgrades. (although from what i've seen and heard from my friend whose fully upgraded, 4K and HDR are definitely very noticeable upgrades in Horizon when we compared it side by side to the base PS4)

I know that i'm going to get a 4K hdr tv and a psvr eventually, so i want to have the pro to go when i get them. Now, for me, it's not really possible to buy the pro and a tv or a pro and the vr at the same time. It's better fro me to space those purchases out over a stretch of time. In that upgrade process, the pro comes first.

The main reasons why i went ahead and bought it as soon as i did was all the other upgrades i mentioned above. Upgrading cost me net $150. Factoring in the hard drive upgrade i was wanting (would cost 50 bucks) and the new controller (would cost 50 bucks), that means a quieter and better box, faster OS software operation. future proofing, and improvements to my current games basically cost me 50 bucks? That was unquestionably worth it to me.

I understand.

I'm hoping the Pro and 4K TVs will go down in price. I've been strapped for money lately so I can't afford to buy these items.

I added a 2 TB drive in my PS4 as the stock 500 GB one was far too small.

Hopefully by next year there will be several new games out with Pro support, and as more games come out and continue to receive Pro updates it'll be a good investment.

I'll probably switch to a pro myself next year after I return from army training. I can't tolerate the loud noise that my PS4 emits - used to be more intensive AAA games that did this but now it happens EVERY game I play. Sometimes the PS4 opts to turn itself off because it gets so hot. I guess I can try repairing the thermal paste and completely dust the console but that seems like too much work for a console that I used for 3 and half years.

Plus it'd be nice to have faster loading times with bigger hard drive. Hoping to snag one of a limited edition though, or at least just any color that's not jet black.

One question though, my TV is SUHD and not full 4K. Will I still be able to see ANY improvement on resolution for 4k enabled games?

Edited by jaehyun1009

1 minute ago, jaehyun1009 said:

I'll probably switch to a pro myself next year after I return from army training. I can't tolerate the loud noise that my PS4 emits - used to be more intensive AAA games that did this but now it happens EVERY game I play. Sometimes the PS4 opts to turn itself off because it gets so hot. I guess I can try repairing the thermal paste and completely dust the console but that seems like too much work for a console that I used for 3 and half years.

Plus it'd be nice to have faster loading times with bigger hard drive. Hoping to snag one of a different color/limited edition though.

Yeah this is what I was thinking a few hours ago.

Is there a place I can technically sell/trade in a vanilla PS4 and get some discount for a PS4 PRO? I really don't want to shell out over $300 for a new console even though it's technically the same console generation, just with smoother gameplay, prettier graphics and so on.

I can take apart the PRO and put in the existing 2 TB I've been using for two years now.

1 minute ago, Spaz said:

Yeah this is what I was thinking a few hours ago.

Is there a place I can technically sell/trade in a vanilla PS4 and get some discount for a PS4 PRO? I really don't want to shell out over $300 for a new console even though it's technically the same console generation, just with smoother gameplay, prettier graphics and so on.

I can take apart the PRO and put in the existing 2 TB I've been using for two years now.

You'd be lucky to get $150 for the old PS4, especially if it's about as old as mine is. Maybe you can get a little more if you include the controller.

1 minute ago, jaehyun1009 said:

You'd be lucky to get $150 for the old PS4, especially if it's about as old as mine is. Maybe you can get a little more if you include the controller.

One of my controllers is broken, have to go and get it fixed.

There has to be a place where you can get some money back.

Pro's boost mode seems to help in reducing framerate dips noticeably in some games. I don't know if loading times are reduced with Pro, I remember Sony advertising this fact at some point. I'm sure more and more games will include PS4 Pro benefits in the near future. It all comes down to if you see the improvements worth the investment.
As you already have a regular PS4, I'd say there's still no rush in upgrading to a Pro. I bought a Pro because I didn't own a PS4 prior to it.

I got my pro on day 1 release for my ps 4 first generation and 130 bugs.

1 tb memory, boost mode for most of the older games with improved frames and dang. 

Faster loading times . The pro is not so loud like the ps 4 .

Games with a pro support looks better in grafics, improved frames even on full hd with supersampling. But on UHD there r the most benefits on it.

I would get a pro any day imo. U can get it now for 350 bugs in some stores. So its a great deal xD

34 minutes ago, Eyjabria said:

Pro's boost mode seems to help in reducing framerate dips noticeably in some games. I don't know if loading times are reduced with Pro, I remember Sony advertising this fact at some point. I'm sure more and more games will include PS4 Pro benefits in the near future. It all comes down to if you see the improvements worth the investment.
As you already have a regular PS4, I'd say there's still no rush in upgrading to a Pro. I bought a Pro because I didn't own a PS4 prior to it.

Sony wants a lot of money for their Ultra HD 4K TVs on Amazon.

It's not required to see the changes on the Pro, but it enhances games that already have Pro support.

That plus the Pro itself and I'm shelling out close to $2,000.

I'm going to pass for a bit.

18 minutes ago, Sagaan said:

I got my pro on day 1 release for my ps 4 first generation and 130 bugs.

1 tb memory, boost mode for most of the older games with improved frames and dang. 

Faster loading times . The pro is not so loud like the ps 4 .

Games with a pro support looks better in grafics, improved frames even on full hd with supersampling. But on UHD there r the most benefits on it.

I would get a pro any day imo. U can get it now for 350 bugs in some stores. So its a great deal xD

Faster loading times and a quieter system are good things.

Ultra HD TVs, at least the good ones, aren't cheap.

While the Pro is a good deal, I'm still not completely convinced, especially when I'm not getting much out of my current job.

I'd say right now it may not be worth it if you don't have a 4k and your original is still running fine. For me personally I love it. My Original was about to bite the dust and I figured I would just spend the extra 100 to get the pro. Horizon does look amazing on Pro and 4k. I like the extra storage and boost mode is really nice.

32 minutes ago, snakebit10 said:

I'd say right now it may not be worth it if you don't have a 4k and your original is still running fine. For me personally I love it. My Original was about to bite the dust and I figured I would just spend the extra 100 to get the pro. Horizon does look amazing on Pro and 4k. I like the extra storage and boost mode is really nice.

Extra 100?

Did you sell to a store?

I don't have a PS4 Pro, but i juggled the idea of getting one for a bit.  Personally, I'll probably just let my OG PS4 burn out and pick up a Slim PS4... save the 4K and/or 60fps experience for the inevitable PS5 when that sort of thing is standardized and not just fluff added to only a handful of PS4 games.  All I really want at the moment is something that plays PS4 games and whose cooling fans don't get SO damn loud. xD

EDIT:

PS3 = 720P

PS4 = 1080P

PS5 = 4K

These mid-generation hardware upgrades are messing with the natural order of things!

Edited by Dreakon13