Worth getting a PS4 PRO?

AJ_Radio

2 hours ago, Spaz said:

Personally I think video games in the past 10 years haven't been all too innovative in their approach compared to past generations. The 1980s, 1990s and the early - mid 2000s all saw monumental jumps forward in how video games were being presented, new engines paved the way for classics like Half Life, Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time and Baldurs Gate. We were getting entirely different, innovative games every couple years or so, it was a great time to be a gamer.

In my opinion the Playstation 4 is enhancing the ideas and thoughts that were already put in place in the past console generation. The Pro only enhances these things further. It's not a giant leap as some people may otherwise state. There's already a bit more flavor to the already delicious meal.

I think you're right. We're kind of an an era of polishing, high standards, and high quality-of-life, as opposed to a time of experiments. The PS1/2 and even PS3 eras had more of a "what the hell, throw it in" attitude. You had terrible cameras and crazy controls. You had a bunch of systems mushed up almost like the game design was the result of an argument where no one would compromise. You had crazy high and low difficulty jammed together.

Whereas now if you look at the best PS4 games, you see a bunch of really polished things, things where people took them apart and put them back together and thought deeply about what would be the best way to do it, but you also see a lot of consensus. You see a lot of different developers that agree on a lot of things and just want to execute well on their own personal version of that thing, rather than doing something different.

Had PS4 Slim, sold him and added extra 120$ for Pro. I have only 1080p yet I'm good with upgrade due to storage and more stable FPS and fluid gameplay in games like Dishonored 2 and couple more. Also I don't need to think about anything until release of PS5. Otherwise I doubt that I would enjoy properly in all games till then since they will need to focus on better optimization for Pro/X.

On 7-7-2017 at 11:49 PM, Spaz said:

If you're mostly going to be playing indie titles, or remasters like Heavy Rain (which you're playing), then it's NOT worth upgrading to a PRO. The costs are just too much if you want the full capabilities.

I have Pro / 4k titles in my backlog, but given I never owned a PS3 during the 360 / PS3 generation I do like going back and playing the exclusive stuff I missed. I'm not just going to stop playing anything that's not got 4k support that would be silly.

As for cost the bigger issue is getting a decent 4k TV, because that piece of tech you will be using for the next 10 years if you buy a decent one. I had the same 1080p for 10 years and it was time for an upgrade, the TV isn't just used by me anyway it's for the whole family and if the thing does last 10 years it's worth paying for something with good picture quality. I think I paid 1300 Euros for mine (Samsung KS8000) which is alot of money I know but TV tech has come so far in 10 years I don't regret it a bit.

I actually did exactly the same thing 10 years ago when the 360 came out ... I had some massive old school CRT television, and the XBOX360 was also the reason I upgraded from standard def to 1080pHD, which was also in the region of 1200 euros combined cost. As we would later see most games didn't run at 1080, most ran at 720 ... But when PS4 came around, everything was running at 1080p so eventually it got fully utilised. We probably won't have everything running at 4k until the PS5 is out, when it will become the new standard ... But it would not suprise me if another mid cycle refresh comes pushing the next big thing 6 or 8k maybe? Tech never stands still.

If you think it's worth it or not that's up to you, depends on your disposable income and circumstances. Gaming is my main hobby and I had been saving money for a new TV for the past year, I'm just saying from my point of view the purchase of the TV for 1300 Euros, and the PS4Pro trade in deal for 250 Euros was worth it, and I'm happy with both. I was a PC gamer for at least half of my life so I do like getting the best possible presentation, I'm one of those people who can insantly tell you what resolution / framerate something is running at so maybe that's one of the reasons I personally have found it worth while.

On 7/10/2017 at 0:45 AM, tpepper1985 said:

I have Pro / 4k titles in my backlog, but given I never owned a PS3 during the 360 / PS3 generation I do like going back and playing the exclusive stuff I missed. I'm not just going to stop playing anything that's not got 4k support that would be silly.

As for cost the bigger issue is getting a decent 4k TV, because that piece of tech you will be using for the next 10 years if you buy a decent one. I had the same 1080p for 10 years and it was time for an upgrade, the TV isn't just used by me anyway it's for the whole family and if the thing does last 10 years it's worth paying for something with good picture quality. I think I paid 1300 Euros for mine (Samsung KS8000) which is alot of money I know but TV tech has come so far in 10 years I don't regret it a bit.

I actually did exactly the same thing 10 years ago when the 360 came out ... I had some massive old school CRT television, and the XBOX360 was also the reason I upgraded from standard def to 1080pHD, which was also in the region of 1200 euros combined cost. As we would later see most games didn't run at 1080, most ran at 720 ... But when PS4 came around, everything was running at 1080p so eventually it got fully utilised. We probably won't have everything running at 4k until the PS5 is out, when it will become the new standard ... But it would not suprise me if another mid cycle refresh comes pushing the next big thing 6 or 8k maybe? Tech never stands still.

If you think it's worth it or not that's up to you, depends on your disposable income and circumstances. Gaming is my main hobby and I had been saving money for a new TV for the past year, I'm just saying from my point of view the purchase of the TV for 1300 Euros, and the PS4Pro trade in deal for 250 Euros was worth it, and I'm happy with both. I was a PC gamer for at least half of my life so I do like getting the best possible presentation, I'm one of those people who can insantly tell you what resolution / framerate something is running at so maybe that's one of the reasons I personally have found it worth while.

Good point. 

We have several titles to look forward to in the next several months, and current Pro/4K users are pretty happy with that. 

Many people played on a CRT television circa 2006 - 2007, because that was much cheaper than buying a 1080p television which was expensive. I remember those things costing several thousand dollars at Costco. Times changed, technology improved and now 1080p television is dirt cheap, while 4K costs a great deal more. 

I say everybody who has the vanilla PS4 and enjoys the games they play to keep holding onto it. The Pro and Slim I feel are for those who didn't get around to the initial console when it came out. 

Then again the Playstation 5 will probably get an upgrade in three - four years time that will be superior to the original. Something to think about for the Pro console owners who are more than satisfied with what they have.

Edited by Spaz

• 3 weeks later...

For me I bought the PS4 at launch and decided to make the jump to PS4 Pro even though I don't have a 4k TV yet. When I upgraded GameStop was offering $175 for launch PS4 I also traded in an older phone and tablet I wasn't using with it so I didn't pay anything for the Pro when I upgraded. 

I mainly got the Pro for the upgraded framerates and the improved VR experience. I don't have the VR yet but plan on getting it soon now that actually in stock and once I get more time for gaming. 

The way I feel with both PS4 Pro and Xbox One X is each gamer is different with what they want out of each system. If you already have a version of the systems, don't have a 4k TV and happy with how each system performs then you may not see the need to upgrade to the mid-cycle refreshes. I think it is good to have options however so if you do want the upgraded visuals & performance for your preferred platform then you have that option. 

I upgraded my standard PS4 to the Pro because I was mostly fed up with how loud the fan was. I couldn't play games like Doom, Infamous: Second Son or Final Fantasy XV, unless I put on a headset or raised the volume on the TV.

Plus, games and their ~1Gb patches were eating space on the hard drive like crazy. I could only store like 5 to 7 "big" AAA games. This means I had to reinstall some games if I wanted to play the ones I played occasionally with friends when they came to my place.

I don't have a 4K TV and I'm not planning on buying one soon, until prices drop a bit. So, I wasn't really attracted by the fact that I could play my games in upscaled 4k.

Thankfully, I was able to sell my initial PS4 to 200€ (I'm from France, BTW) and the extra money required to buy the Pro was a gift from my wife for my 28th birthday.

Even when considering the alternative (change the thermal paste to reduce the sound the fan made + switch the hard drive to a 1To one), it costed almost the same thing as upgrading to the Pro, with a mere 20€ gap.

After 6 months of using the Pro, I really consider it a solid purchase if you play a lot on your PS4. For the record, I play almost every evening after work (1 to 2h depending on how late I come back from work). On weekends, I play during a huge chunk of the Sunday afternoons.

The Pro sometimes still makes some sounds here and there, but overall it's MUCH better.

And some games like Final Fantasy XV and Horizon Zero Dawn offer improved frame rate options, which was a great plus in my book.

So, in a nutshell: yes, I find it a good investment if you play a lot on your PS4. If not, just stick with the regular PS4.

11 minutes ago, omarbanzai said:

I upgraded my standard PS4 to the Pro because I was mostly fed up with how loud the fan was. I couldn't play games like Doom, Infamous: Second Son or Final Fantasy XV, unless I put on a headset or raised the volume on the TV.

Plus, games and their ~1Gb patches were eating space on the hard drive like crazy. I could only store like 5 to 7 "big" AAA games. This means I had to reinstall some games if I wanted to play the ones I played occasionally with friends when they came to my place.

I don't have a 4K TV and I'm not planning on buying one soon, until prices drop a bit. So, I wasn't really attracted by the fact that I could play my games in upscaled 4k.

Thankfully, I was able to sell my initial PS4 to 200€ (I'm from France, BTW) and the extra money required to buy the Pro was a gift from my wife for my 28th birthday.

Even when considering the alternative (change the thermal paste to reduce the sound the fan made + switch the hard drive to a 1To one), it costed almost the same thing as upgrading to the Pro, with a mere 20€ gap.

After 6 months of using the Pro, I really consider it a solid purchase if you play a lot on your PS4. For the record, I play almost every evening after work (1 to 2h depending on how late I come back from work). On weekends, I play during a huge chunk of the Sunday afternoons.

The Pro sometimes still makes some sounds here and there, but overall it's MUCH better.

And some games like Final Fantasy XV and Horizon Zero Dawn offer improved frame rate options, which was a great plus in my book.

So, in a nutshell: yes, I find it a good investment if you play a lot on your PS4. If not, just stick with the regular PS4.

I find it odd that cleaning up the old thermal paste on the cpu is even necessary in its life cycle. It takes a while for that to dry and crack. 

I think that's an excuse on the business to open the ps4 up so you can't use a warranty. That way you're more likely to go back to them instead. 

If you really wanted to do it yourself I think I saw a teardown where it showed it wasn't difficult. But I have no intention to ever do it, it has good cooling as is. Ans I think the fans been getting louder because of the newer games that demand more. I don't usually hear the fan unless it's an intensive game, psvr, or psnow.

4 hours ago, Dav9834 said:

I find it odd that cleaning up the old thermal paste on the cpu is even necessary in its life cycle. It takes a while for that to dry and crack. 

I think that's an excuse on the business to open the ps4 up so you can't use a warranty. That way you're more likely to go back to them instead. 

If you really wanted to do it yourself I think I saw a teardown where it showed it wasn't difficult. But I have no intention to ever do it, it has good cooling as is. Ans I think the fans been getting louder because of the newer games that demand more. I don't usually hear the fan unless it's an intensive game, psvr, or psnow.

If memory serves well, it was related to some PS4 models which had crappy thermal paste. A colleague has the same model and still encounters the same issue.

Unfortunately, it was too late for me to leverage my warranty. And I clearly did not want to tinker my console. Even if there are a lot of tutorials on Youtube, they're like 45 minutes long and I don't trust myself when it comes to manipulating electronic devices. ?

I literally had one in my hands today at Best Buy and was about to get one, but I'm holding off for now. I primarily game on my Xbox, but enjoy the exclusives that Sony brings to the table. Still have yet to play Horizon, which was one of the main reasons I want to experience it in 4K. Though I can't justify for just one title. So I am torn at the moment whether or not to get one.

I bought a PS4 Pro on release day with a 4k HDR 55" TV and have not regret it.. was great being able to compare the PS4 to the Pro with HDR/4k side by side and really getting a good look at the visual differences. Pro is totally worth, but not without the right TV.

16 hours ago, omarbanzai said:

The cost is what's setting me back. If you want a 4K TV with your Pro you're looking at over a thousand dollars in my area. At that price I can go out and buy a custom desktop, and quite frankly that is a better investment.

I'm somebody who plays on all three systems. I'm one of the few who still plays on the PS3 and Vita. Of course I could go Playstation Now but then I would of just wasted money on all those PS3 titles I bought.

My problem right now is I'm going broke, have no job, and am currently being occupied with college. So if I were to get a Pro right now, I would have to find someone willing to buy my PS4. I would have to deactivate the system and put my accounts on the new system.

On 8/5/2017 at 8:22 AM, Spaz said:

The cost is what's setting me back. If you want a 4K TV with your Pro you're looking at over a thousand dollars in my area. At that price I can go out and buy a custom desktop, and quite frankly that is a better investment.

I'm somebody who plays on all three systems. I'm one of the few who still plays on the PS3 and Vita. Of course I could go Playstation Now but then I would of just wasted money on all those PS3 titles I bought.

My problem right now is I'm going broke, have no job, and am currently being occupied with college. So if I were to get a Pro right now, I would have to find someone willing to buy my PS4. I would have to deactivate the system and put my accounts on the new system.

Honestly, if you're short on cash, just keep your regular PS4.

It's not a must-buy, far from it.

But if you decide to pick up one, rest assured that transferring your data from one PS4 to another was pretty easy.

I don't think you should considerate it as a criterion.

I read a bit from this thread but i'm not sure if i should invest in a ps4 pro and 4k tv or just wait till my launch ps4 breaks. I'm sure the picture looks better and would be a nice upgrade considering my tv is at least 5 years old by now if not more. Should i just wait or is it really worth it? The reason the upgrade could be nice is because of all the games coming out in october that i want. (Wolfenstein 2, evil within 2, ac origins) etc but i don't know how much better they would look on a ps4 pro and a 4k tv.

3 minutes ago, UlvenFenrir said:

I read a bit from this thread but i'm not sure if i should invest in a ps4 pro and 4k tv or just wait till my launch ps4 breaks. I'm sure the picture looks better and would be a nice upgrade considering my tv is at least 5 years old by now if not more. Should i just wait or is it really worth it? The reason the upgrade could be nice is because of all the games coming out in october that i want. (Wolfenstein 2, evil within 2, ac origins) etc but i don't know how much better they would look on a ps4 pro and a 4k tv.

I don't know your situation, but you try looking into a 4K gaming monitor instead?  There are many more advantages of getting a monitor (especially financially), instead of a 4K TV.  You'd have to see for yourself comparisons, but you can definitely tell the difference.

1 minute ago, grimydawg said:

I don't know your situation, but you try looking into a 4K gaming monitor instead?  There are many more advantages of getting a monitor (especially financially), instead of a 4K TV.  You'd have to see for yourself comparisons, but you can definitely tell the difference.

Yeah but i don't think i can get a 65inch monitor :P thats the size i'm looking for if i were to buy 4k.

Just now, UlvenFenrir said:

Yeah but i don't think i can get a 65inch monitor :P thats the size i'm looking for if i were to buy 4k.

Oh lord LOL  Well, the long-term (key word) investment is worth it IMO.  It just depends on you personally, though.  I have a 4K 65" TV myself, but that's in the living room.  Currently, I'm looking at a 4K monitor, and I can sell my PS4 on eBay and get quite a bit, since I have a limited edition PS4.