The High Road is the absolute worst level in all of Crash Bandicoot history.

Crzy Minus

3 hours ago, ImplyingYouCare said:

It's absolutely the worst one in the remakes because it really shows off some of the fundamental problems with the design. The whole thing is just a gauntlet of incredibly precise platforming that doesn't work as a test of skill because the base mechanics are off.

The hitbox for Crash is pill shaped instead of box shaped, that means that sometimes even though it looked like you were going to make a jump, you'll slide right off the edges of platforms. That also messes with the rope running because sometimes you'll slip off if it when it looks like you really shouldn't. The turtles have wonky hitboxes too, and a lot of times they really don't bounce you as far as you need to go even though the exact same jump works in the original game. On top of all of that, Crash falls weirdly fast compared to the original. You have absolutely no time to correct your mistakes because he just drops down so fast.

The collection is mostly really dang solid and I'm enjoying it a ton, but man this specific level really brings out the worst in it. I've done everything else in the first game except for this time trial because everything wrong with it was driving me up a wall. I can beat the level in the original in a single try, but this version is just evil.

As a general tip, if you get on the ropes... just use the d-pad. It's easier to make sure you don't fall at all. Since you can just push up and win. No risk of accidentally turning the analog stick slightly and falling. I only ever fell using the analog stick. d-pad OP for that. Otherwise I'd use analog since the d-pad felt bad to play with.

But yeah, something is certainly off with Crash 1's hitbox/detection. The turtles don't seem to function properly either, you can jump on them and die (or if kill it if you've got Aku Aku). It isn't the only level with some issues like this, but it's certainly one of the most apparent ones given the already precise jumps needed to land on some of those single board areas.

• Like 1

Yup.

Edit, I thought it was in all history. I remember Crash of the Titans or the Mutant one or one of them and that thing was full of God awful levels. A hard but we'll made level shits all over a whole game of mediocrity.

Edited by Super-Fly Spider-Guy

I was stuck on this for 2 days trying to do the time trial JESUS! I don't think they tested this level at all because the only way to get gold was to walk on the ropes. The turtles were never lined up properly when you sped through and they should have been, meaning you had to wait until it reached the edge. Even then, 9 times out of ten you couldn't make the jump. Absolutely awful level. I really love the game but that level had me driven demented. This was not tested at all IMO. I made it to the end numerous times without stopping and could not get gold until i used the ropes instead of the turtles. NIGHTMARE!!

26 minutes ago, Hogie838 said:

I was stuck on this for 2 days trying to do the time trial JESUS! I don't think they tested this level at all because the only way to get gold was to walk on the ropes. The turtles were never lined up properly when you sped through and they should have been, meaning you had to wait until it reached the edge. Even then, 9 times out of ten you couldn't make the jump. Absolutely awful level. I really love the game but that level had me driven demented. This was not tested at all IMO. I made it to the end numerous times without stopping and could not get gold until i used the ropes instead of the turtles. NIGHTMARE!!

I've got a friend who did it without jumping on the first turtle. Like so;

• Like 2

started this round yesterday and did it within 30 minutes roudnabout. i thought it will be the worst due to the fact that i struggled for 2 days on road to nowhere but this one wasn't that hard in the end. 

i might can give you a tip. do NOT walk the ropes, insteead just use the rope on some points to just jump on it and immediately jump off as fast as possible to avoid slipping down. this works perfectly fine most of the time. if you do it this way you can avoid a lot of turtles.

and another tip: if you jump on the rope tap the x button like crazy. once i started to do this, i could avoid slipping down most of the time. i think using the rope this way wasn't planned by vicarious. but you can definitely use it for the bigger gaps. 

i reached platin time with 1:03 with only few tries, so i think you can eventually make it.

i recorded a video of my run. if someone is interested just reply i can upload it here..

cheers, nate

• Like 1

Spent a solid 2 hours on this tonight. I managed to get a 1:16 for my best (I only got it once). I would have had 1:12 about 1 hour in but I fell through that hole just before the end of the level. I have been using the ropes the whole time and it seems to work better for me.

I dunno, High Road in Crash 1 was annoying for sure, but I actually made that level faster than Sunset Vista. 

And atm I have to admit I'm raging more in the time trials in Crash 2 than I did it Crash 1. Especially the polar bear levels are bullshit, you basically have to boost all time to make the time mark for gold or even platinum. And in the normal levels you have to dash the whole time. In Crash 1 you at least already knew the pacing of a level after playing through it once or twice for gems, but in Crash 2 you basically have to re-learn all levels with faster movement...

2 hours ago, Elvick_ said:

I've got a friend who did it without jumping on the first turtle. Like so;

That's really good! But that is not the level we're talking about, it is the harder version. The level shown there is 'Road to Nowhere'.

10 minutes ago, Hogie838 said:

That's really good! But that is not the level we're talking about, it is the harder version. The level shown there is 'Road to Nowhere'.

derp, confused the two~

either way the game needs patched imo, I cheesed both~

Edited by Elvick_
  • Like 1

I wonder something too, as who mentioned about the hitbox for Crash is pill shaped and not box shaped... same for Coco you reckon? Just in general, I have a feel her and Crash's hitboxes are the same, which also means that sometimes, or most of the time, jumping and all that is off.  Such as Rolling Stones, after using the blue gem platform, try and jump onto the small edge thing in front of you, instead, you might as well jump over it by sliding a bit off the edge of it.

Had that sort of problem here and there, you think you make a jump, instead, you just don't quite make it and slip off the front of it.

3 hours ago, Hogie838 said:

Harder version? Road to nowhere is way more harder the high road. I spent around an hout trying to get gold in r9ad to nowhere  as for high road just a couple of tries. And most ppl complain about that level too not high road

Edited by Kyl542

2 hours ago, Kyl542 said:

Harder version? Road to nowhere is way more harder the high road. I spent around an hout trying to get gold in r9ad to nowhere  as for high road just a couple of tries. And most ppl complain about that level too not high road

No? Most people (on YouTube at least) are complaining about High Road. Road to Nowhere is also an awful level, but it's not as bad as High Road. The turtles on High Road make this time trial a nightmare. Their hitboxes feel off and Crash has a knack for sliding off them, too. The rope is the same. Crash slides off it very often. Even when you only use the dpad.

The time trials were not giving me that much issue, until I made it to High Road. I've spent two hours on this level and only made it to the end once. Only earnt a sapphire relic for that run.

1 hour ago, NathanW18 said:

No? Most people (on YouTube at least) are complaining about High Road. Road to Nowhere is also an awful level, but it's not as bad as High Road. The turtles on High Road make this time trial a nightmare. Their hitboxes feel off and Crash has a knack for sliding off them, too. The rope is the same. Crash slides off it very often. Even when you only use the dpad.

The time trials were not giving me that much issue, until I made it to High Road. I've spent two hours on this level and only made it to the end once. Only earnt a sapphire relic for that run.

Yeah it's an absolute joke. You need to spin the turtles away in the first half of the level and do a quick jump on the rope and immediately jump back on the bridge. Otherwise you will NEVER get gold. Don't try walk on the rope! The second half of the level is okay, you can stay on the bridge.

7 hours ago, DrakeHellsing said:

I wonder something too, as who mentioned about the hitbox for Crash is pill shaped and not box shaped... same for Coco you reckon? Just in general, I have a feel her and Crash's hitboxes are the same, which also means that sometimes, or most of the time, jumping and all that is off.  Such as Rolling Stones, after using the blue gem platform, try and jump onto the small edge thing in front of you, instead, you might as well jump over it by sliding a bit off the edge of it.

Had that sort of problem here and there, you think you make a jump, instead, you just don't quite make it and slip off the front of it.

I had so many issues with Rolling Stones because of that part you mention. It took me so long to actually manage to do the time trial on it, I nearly gave up on it. I kept dying, because after that stupid platform appeared for some reason landing on the little ledge was so much more difficult for some reason. :/ And yeah, trying to jump from the gem platform to the edge was impossible. I died probably 7 times trying to just do that level 100%. When I had zero issues the first go around without the platform being there. Because it's really not a hard level, but for some reason that gem platform messes me up. It's very existence tiggers me.

On 7/8/2017 at 8:07 PM, ImplyingYouCare said:

It's absolutely the worst one in the remakes because it really shows off some of the fundamental problems with the design. The whole thing is just a gauntlet of incredibly precise platforming that doesn't work as a test of skill because the base mechanics are off.

The hitbox for Crash is pill shaped instead of box shaped, that means that sometimes even though it looked like you were going to make a jump, you'll slide right off the edges of platforms. That also messes with the rope running because sometimes you'll slip off if it when it looks like you really shouldn't. The turtles have wonky hitboxes too, and a lot of times they really don't bounce you as far as you need to go even though the exact same jump works in the original game. On top of all of that, Crash falls weirdly fast compared to the original. You have absolutely no time to correct your mistakes because he just drops down so fast.

The collection is mostly really dang solid and I'm enjoying it a ton, but man this specific level really brings out the worst in it. I've done everything else in the first game except for this time trial because everything wrong with it was driving me up a wall. I can beat the level in the original in a single try, but this version is just evil.

I completely understand. I'm kinda feeling embarrassed so many people are getting the platinum trophies for the Crash game but probably because they've played a ton of platformers. I should've known better than to get into this whole relic trophies. But the hit boxes are terrible! I've slid so many times and died by a turtle when I wasn't even near it. I had a perfect time on High Road until right when I needed to jump at the end I slid right off. I'm currently taking a break from these relics bc I'll end up throwing my controller at the screen lol. 

10 hours ago, fastflowdaman said:

The game itself is perfectly fine. The remake isn't (what was to be expected).

Main issue seems to be the "pill shape" of the remake vs. the "box shape" of the original:

This makes everything make more sense. I knew this level wasn't as bad in the original. They need to patch it, so you don't slide off the turtles and the rope. If you land on it once, you shouldn't slide off. It's so stupid.