The High Road is the absolute worst level in all of Crash Bandicoot history.

Crzy Minus

• 4 months later...
36 minutes ago, Zarmatura93 said:

For me personally, The Lab, is by far the worst level. I haven't even managed to complete it and have been stuck at it forever.

There are a few tricks that you can do to make it easier, like spinning enemies into boxes that are in the next room or spamming the boxes that activate doors and floors to reset their timers. Here is how I did it for some visual example:

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

Certainly it is! I spent two days (~17 hours) to obtain a gold relic time trial in this one. 

The Stormy Ascent level was much easier to me. 

Now Crash 4 levels seem to be the combination of High Road with the Stormy Ascent and some riding activities - all just in a one go! 

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/19/2017 at 5:50 PM, AUSTRALIANDJ said:

Has this got any better yet? Ive abandoned mission hoping for a patch. Its hurts my pride because i consider myself an old school platformer. Havent tried in months though I must admit.

For me, I was so hesitant in just completing the trial first, but I got brave and got the timing and physics nailed down to jump from board to board, which would have been simple in the original.

The turtles were a massive pain, I held X to get as much distance and height to cover the gaps with all turtles, but this tactic slowed me down and killed Crash a lot too.

I prefer to wait until the turtles are at the edge of the boards before hopping on them.

I watched Crash's shadow bounce on their tails and timed it just right so he wouldn't die, the only way to advance using these blasted turtles.

Some turtles can be attacked and you can jump over a gap instead of bouncing, little things like this add up and give hope to getting a Gold ??

Sacrifice an Aku Aku to a hog if stuck going too fast.

Towards the end when turtles are already flipped, I only held X on the final turtle in a row of 3 for that extra distance.

I didn't run on the ropes, I could have used the D-Pad instead of the Analog for extra balance ?

Hopefully this helps, to stay persistent and keep at it, keep improving each time you try, be brave and don't be afraid of making mistakes until you perfect your technique.

It was the last level I had to do to achieve Platinum, good luck ✊?

• 1 month later...

I got the plat for this game a couple months ago after putting it away for three years, and Road to Nowhere/The High Road time trials literally gave me hand callouses. I spent three days playing them non-stop on the D-pad trying to get the relic, and it was frustrating as all hell. It's ridiculous how imprecise the controls are in both of these levels. 

I used the D-pad because it gave me more control of Crash's movements, especially for the ridiculously difficult rope jump, where you need to put the character right at the center of the rope and look for their feet; they can't be visually touching the rope, that's how you know they're not going to randomly fall off. 

Edited by flugurnarrr
Typo.

I skipped The High Road and did The Stormy Ascent DLC to get the Gold Relic, it counted so I wouldn't have to put myself through that mess.

Looking forward to Crash 4 when I get around to it. The difficulty and challenge of the Crash games were always right on point.

I have to agree with OP, High Road was really terrible to control, Crash always slipping off the planks/ropes + the momentum required before jumping on the turtles (i.e. a run up) :( yikes. Took me forever. Here's my vid with me only using the ropes a couple of times, I still get the relic (just!). I'd recommend only jumping on and off quickly (don't try to walk it).

As for having a go at Stormy Ascent instead of one of the other troublesome ones, that's not a bad idea Spaz. I found it pretty darn hard though, Crash gets thrown around a bit because of how fast the platforms are. Took me 2 days straight practice but here's 2min 50 sec. Try the route I take, even if you pause in other sections, you should still get gold comfortably. The good thing is, you'll also get the two DLC trophies if you play this one!

Hope this helps, good luck guys!

• 11 months later...

I must say I was put off playing the game because I had heard this was insanely difficuilt and when it came down to playing the game yes I had a few deaths doing it but I must say, I did the time trail in roughly 40 attempts which actually isn't that bad when you consider how hard its meant to be. I'm currently making my way though them and I must say that I am finding native fortress far more difficuilt, I'm not even getting a blue time relic let alone gold.

• 3 weeks later...

In regards to time trials in specific, and seeing how it's still the only level I haven't gotten at least a gold relic on, Stormy Ascent is the absolute worst as far as I'm concerned.

Level is far too long and finicky, imo, and I can't help but to feel that the level was kept out of the original PlayStation release for what was more than likely a very good reason.

Adding time trials on top of that - and to a game not built with them in mind in the first place, no less - probably wasn't all that great of a decision either, but I digress...

Edited by Zephrese

• 8 months later...

I just managed to clear this in about an hours worth of effort. Pretty thrilled. Two seconds to spare too.

I like these shorter levels, frustrating as they may be, over marathons like Great Fortress and Sunset Vista. The fire pads in those seem random and hate the odd sequencing of other traps.

The short levels are pure timing and memorization so it’s easier to handle. 

Edit: I’m a dirty liar. I did Road To Nowhere. Yeah, this one is evil.

Edited by Wagszilla

17 hours ago, Wagszilla said:

Edit: I’m a dirty liar. I did Road To Nowhere. Yeah, this one is evil.

? This comment made my night.

I agree with you though. While either this or stormy ascent were the hardest levels for me I much preferred this as it was so short I could at least have fun with it. With enough practice I even got the platinum relic, no chance of that on Stormy

• Like 1