Should I use a guide on my first playthrough?

EhudHapoel

Hey everyone,

Got this on PS+ and noticed the Plat is quite simple, but I'm wondering:

Will I enjoy the game if I'm using a guide on my first playthrough? Or should I play naturally on my first go? Is the game worth it?

How many hours will it take to finish it naturally, and how many more for the plat? (Is it 3 playthroughs that way?)

1 minute ago, suresh_thangaraj said:

No trophies are miss-able. Just enjoy the game on your first play-through. Cleanup on second play-through. 

Isn't there a trophy for keeping everyone alive and a trophy for killing all? won't it require 2 more play-throughs?

I did a blind playthrough the first time. Just remember that when you are in chapter select, that you have to play the game to the end for your new decisions to count. If you go back to chapter select, the game reverts to your original choices in the first playthrough. 

If you want to enjoy it blindly, then I say go for it. It's a pretty good horror but if you want to avoid a third playthrough, then I would at least follow a guide to keep all 8 of them alive so you get "They All Live", "Four Daughters of Darkness" and "The Quicker Man" at the same time. Which means your second playthough, you can get collectibles, miscellaneous trophies and kill them all off.

If you want the trophies, use a guide.

I find the game to just be a really really long and interactive cheesey as shit 80s horror movie and to be honest, the idea of jumping back in for another 10 hours slog through the same series of predictable tropes is what's kept me from replaying it for over a year and a half or so now. I want to want to do it, but I can't bring myself to. If the game was like half the length it would be a lot better, it's just too dragged out and downright boring a fair bit of the time for me, and killing / saving a couple of different assholes (and not in the context where I usually call everyone an asshole, these kids are genuinely just bad people a lot of the time) isn't motivation enough for me.

You won't have to but keep in mind that there are collectibles and a few of them require you to do something specific in one Chapter about halfway through. If you don't manage to do that then you will have to play that part over again and making the playthroughs twice as long especially since you can't skip any scenes or dialogue. At the very least go in with a collectible guide and if you do miss a collectible for whatever reason you will know which one you missed.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Redgrave said:

You won't have to but keep in mind that there are collectibles and a few of them require you to do something specific in one Chapter about halfway through. If you don't manage to do that then you will have to play that part over again and making the playthroughs twice as long especially since you can't skip any scenes or dialogue. At the very least go in with a collectible guide and if you do miss a collectible for whatever reason you will know which one you missed.

Is there a non-spoiler video I can use just for the collectibles then?

2 minutes ago, EhudHapoel said:

Is there a non-spoiler video I can use just for the collectibles then?

Powerpyx is your best bet. Here's the first video.

Spoiler

2 hours ago, EhudHapoel said:

Hey everyone,

Got this on PS+ and noticed the Plat is quite simple, but I'm wondering:

Will I enjoy the game if I'm using a guide on my first playthrough? Or should I play naturally on my first go? Is the game worth it?

How many hours will it take to finish it naturally, and how many more for the plat? (Is it 3 playthroughs that way?)

If the game was bad I would have said use a guide on the first playthrough but since it's good play the first playthrough blindly, and enjoy. I do that for most of my games.....example Heavy Rain, Beyond Two Souls. After that you will have to make a playthrough to keep all alive and another for all dead. The game is not that long as you can finish it in 7 hours or so. 

• Like 1

I only rented the game for a few days and I did use a guide for keeping all alive and then did my clean up from there. I still enjoyed the game very much.

I did grab it were it is a free game this month and I may give it another play through just for the heck of it.

On 10.7.2017 at 7:09 AM, suresh_thangaraj said:

No trophies are miss-able. Just enjoy the game on your first play-through. Cleanup on second play-through. 

Many trophies are missable. That's why you need a second playthrough for cleaning up.

@OP, question makes no sense. Want to play the game? Play the game. Clean up afterwards. Want to have your game spoiled or just play it for the trophies? Use a guide.

Concerning playthroughs, 1.5 (using a guide the first time around) or 2.5 are needed. The point where people start dying is about in the middle of the game.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, fastflowdaman said:

Many trophies are missable. That's why you need a second playthrough for cleaning up.

@OP, question makes no sense. Want to play the game? Play the game. Clean up afterwards. Want to have your game spoiled or just play it for the trophies? Use a guide.

Concerning playthroughs, 1.5 (using a guide the first time around) or 2.5 are needed. The point where people start dying is about in the middle of the game.

Since chapter select is available we can play the from middle to obtain required trophies. Hence those trophies are not miss-able.

4 minutes ago, suresh_thangaraj said:

Since chapter select is available we can play the from middle to obtain required trophies. Hence those trophies are not miss-able.

Since you need more than one playthrough, trophies are missable.

- It's a matter of perspective. Going by your argument no trophy in any game is missable. You just have to play the game until you achieve every single one of them.

I see that being able to clean up something like collectibles via chapter select could be called non-missable.

But in order to have everyone live and everyone die you cannot simply select chapters. You have to do at least half an additional playthrough.

• Like 2

Do not use a guide for your first playthrough, it will ruin it. I would also advise against using a guide for the collectibles because that may alter some of your decisions. Just play it blind and enjoy it, it's not a long platinum. 

Go in blind on your first playthrough. If you use a guide it will take away a lot of the fun from the game. Whatever choices you make throughout the playthrough will unlock one of the ending trophies regardless. The chapters are short enough as is and you don't have to play through the entire game again to unlock the other endings. Just choose chapter select - you will only have to replay the last chapter or a few chapters at best to unlock the other endings. The longest replay (ensure everybody dies) begins in chapter 6 onwards.

SO, I'm playing blind, but I'm feeling like Super-Fly in the early going. The acting is awful (perhaps intentionally?), the writing is cringe-inducing (perhaps intentional?), and the horror has currently amounted to a couple of jump moments, which has felt a bit lazy. As as much as I like Peter Stormare, his interludes have been grating.

I'm only in the opening, but my current feeling to others is that they might be better served by following a guide. If I change my mind, I'll edit this post.

EDIT: Hmmm. Chapter 5, and despite all of the complaints, I find myself enjoying this game. I have re-thought my position, and am glad that I am playing without a guide.

Edited by starcrunch061
  • Like 1

if time isnt a issue, def play it first time without a guide. i was very happy with this game and glad i didnt look at a guide at all until after. of course i had to reload chapters after for a few chapters and will have to do half a new playthrough but its worth it. i didnt look at any of the trophies either because i didnt want to spoil anything. i disagree with the post above me, i thought the acting was good and the graphics looked real at points they really got the body movement and stuff down good and fluid. almost reminds me of cabin in the woods movie

also when your done if you need collectable cleanup, you can go to the point you need the collectable and grab it and then exit to the next episode. just be carefull of the 20th collectible it can ruin killing everyone so make a seperate save without it or whatever. i only missed like 4 collectables so i didnt have to much cleanup.

Edited by melodicmizery
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...