Best Job Class Combinations?

I went with:

• Vaan - Shikari+ Red Battle Mage
  • Balthier - Knight + FoeBreaker
  • Fran - Archer + Time Battle Mage
  • Basch - Monk + Machinist
  • Ashe - White Mage + Bushi
  • Penelo - Black Mage + Uhlan

I've never played the game before so this just my own combinations without knowing too much besides some research. 

Thanks for the replies, I looked at that thread I like the suggestions.

My current roles are.

• Vaan - Monk 
  • Balthier - Bushi 
  • Fran - Archer 
  • Basch - Knight 
  • Ashe - White Mage 
  • Penelo - Shikari

I think i'm going with these combinations.

• Vann - Monk/Black Mage
  • Basch - Knight/Time Battlemage
  • Ashe - White Mage/Machinist

No idea what to have for the other three, if anybody wants to give me some input on the others I would really appreciate it.

21 hours ago, Virdeborn said:

My lore friendly set-up, also taking Revenant Wings into consideration, that ensures all 12 jobs are used. It also gives everyone 3x Swiftness and at least 3 optimal combinations:

Vaan - Shikari / Foebreaker

He's definitely a Shikari, the closest thing to a thief/hunter. Foebreaker is a nice complementary job that also takes advantage of his high VIT stat.

Penelo - Monk / Black Mage

While she canonically ends up being a Dancer and White Mage hybrid, official artwork depicts her without a weapon and as a Black Mage. I'd like to think that she started out being a DPS and ended up being a Healer. Being a Monk gives her access to high-level white magicks and also gives her a much needed HP boost!

Balthier - Machinist / Uhlan

Obviously a Machinist. Uhlan refers to the Polish cavalry, who originally wielded spears but eventually upgraded to guns so I'd say there's a decent connection there.

Fran - Archer / Red Battlemage

What could she possibly be other than an Archer? Well, she's also depicted as a Red Battlemage and this job also happens to be a Vierra exclusive in other Ivalice games.

Basch - Knight / Bushi

He's literally a knight and it sort of makes sense to make him the ultimate master of swords. Adding Bushi into the mix also boosts his speed, which he lacks as a Knight.

Ashe - TIme Battlemage / White Mage

In Revenant Wings she's portrayed as a Time Mage, with access to hand-bombs. The artwork portrays her wielding the Treaty-Blade, but that doesn't require any license to equip. She's also donning the White Mage robe in official artwork. This is the ultimate Healer combination.

118n891.jpg

Look at that skirt.

• Like 2

On 7/12/2017 at 8:58 AM, LezardValeth80 said:

Great post! And some things I hadn't considered. Looks like I'm starting over since I'm already locked into some... :/ 

My copy of this game is in the mail. I played this on the PS2. So the class system getting locked? Is that from very beginning.

Just now, Glacier_Silver said:

My copy of this game is in the mail. I played this on the PS2. So the class system getting locked? Is that from very beginning.

The PS4 version is based off the international version where you are locked to certain jobs once you select them.

13 hours ago, Glacier_Silver said:

13 hours ago, JNSpradlin said:

The PS4 version is based off the international version where you are locked to certain jobs once you select them.

To follow from what @JNSpradlin said, you get to choose one job for each person to start off with then you get to select a second one once you get your first esper

Vaan - Shikari / Breaker

Basch - Knight / Bushi

Ashe - Black Mage / Monk

Balthier - Uhlan / Time Mage

Fran - Archer / Red Mage

Penelo - White Mage / Machinist

First three being main party with Panelo swapped in for Vaan or Ashe, depending. Basch is a main-stay because his combo is too strong.

• Like 1

On 7/13/2017 at 9:03 AM, JNSpradlin said:

This is what I am going with:

Vaan - Shikari/Bushi
Basch - Knight/Bushi
Ashe - Black Mage/Monk
Balthier - Uhlan/Time Mage
Fran - White Mage/Machinist
Penelo - Black Mage/Red Mage

I ended up making the following:

Vaan - Shikari/Bushi
Basch - Knight/Bushi
Ashe - Black Mage/Monk
Balthier - Uhlan/Time Mage
Fran - White Mage/Time Mage
Penelo - Black Mage/Red Mage

I went with-

Vaan- Bushi/Time Battlemage

Balthier- Machinist/Monk

Frab- Archer/Foebreaker

Basch- Uhlan/ White mage

Ashe- Shikari/ Red battlemage

Penelo- Knight/ Black mage

A little unorthodox, but it balanced out the team quite well, all had something to bring to the party.  Penelo can hit things with a Tournesol and then cast Scathe on groups. Plus having some curative magic and heavy armour makes her very versatile. The Foebreaker is so useful end game I just wish I made Basch one so I wouldn't have to swap in Fran. Made Yiazmat a laugh hitting the party for only 100 damage a time once it's fully Withered.

Edited by SyBob12

I wanted to use all the jobs and went with the below. Pretty good all round

Shikari/Breaker: Hunter's ninja swords are one of the best weapons to use with Genji Gloves, and Hunter/Breaker is arguably the best way to do so. This combination gives you 3x swiftness, a decent ranged weapon (hand bomb), all 4 breaks, Genji gear, high strength and HP, and ninja swords.

Black Mage/Monk: perhaps the ultimate offensive magic user. Monk upgrades your Black Mage with 3x swiftness, tons of HP, and access to White Magick 9-13. Being able to exploit Holy weakness is a huge advantage, and the best staff (Staff of the Magi) boosts Holy damage by 50%. This combo also has excellent physical strength, which especially comes in handy earlier in the game before you get all the really good offensive spells.

Samurai/Uhlan: katana damage benefits from Uhlan's high strength and heavy armor. Uhlan's Holy Lance benefits from access to holy-boosting White Robes.

White Mage/Machinist: This is a nice upgrade for your healer. Machinist gives you lots of HP, 3x swiftness, eventual access to Hastega, and guns (which do fixed damge regardless of your stats, making them ideal for a weak healer-type character). Guns give you a way of doing some decent damage during downtime from healing/buffing. What's more, you can equip Dark Shot + Black Robes to boost their damage by 50% AND heal allies with dark-absorbing gear. Just be sure to set up your gambits so you don't heal any dark-absorbing enemies. If you want to use guns, this is the best combo to do so.

Archer/Red Mage: Archer gets the fire-boosting Burning Bow to boost Red Mage's Ardor spell. You also get 3x swiftness and all the item lores. Overall this isn't as powerful as the Black Mage/Red Mage combo, but it's a good choice if you already have a Black Mage/Monk and you don't want to double up on the Black Mage job.

Knight/Time Mage: Time Mage gives the slow Knight 3x swiftness, a ranged weapon (Bowguns), and some decent magic power to make the best of his White Magick. Plus Time Magick, of course. This combo makes for a great attacker with lots of support abilities.

On 12/07/2017 at 4:44 PM, Virdeborn said:

Basch - Knight / Bushi

He's literally a knight and it sort of makes sense to make him the ultimate master of swords. Adding Bushi into the mix also boosts his speed, which he lacks as a Knight.

Love this one. The synergy here is incredible. Samurai's katanas do damage based on both strength and magic. Samurai has very high magic power, along with the magic-boosting mystic armor, but has just mediocre strength. Knight has excellent strength and strength-boosting heavy armor, so this combo will greatly increase katana damage. But it gets better. Knight unlocks a bunch of excellent White Magicks, but has lousy magic power. Samurai's magic ability will make those spells far more effective. What's more, this is the only combo in the game that allows White Robes (50% damage boost for Holy element) + Excalibur (Holy elemental sword) + 3x swiftness, making you the ultimate undead slayer.

Edited by MrDelDante
Formatting

EDIT: If got now all classes.

I use this one.

Vann: Monk / Hunter(Shikari)

Penelo: Uhlan / Black Mage

Balthier: White Mage / Breaker

Fran: Red Mage / Time Mage

Basch: Archer / Knight

Ashe: Samurai / Knight

So Basch an Ashe are my main tanks/Damage dealer.

Vann has nice Stats and fits good as an allrounder with Monks healing and the effekts from the Hunter.

Penolo is weak, therefore the Uhlan (Heavy Armor) and she has also nice magic stats so the Black mage fits also very well.

Balthier is low in magic at the beginning but has a high strengh, the combo with a High attack an meanwhile (level 22) the highest magic stat fits also very well

Fran is not such a good char in my opinion, but as a Support mage its good, she has a lot of MP so its good this way.

Basch has a high damge output with the bow, more live an power from the knight (also with Greatswords later) will help.

Ashe makes a lot of combos with katanas etc. espacially later with the Genji Armour. Katanas also skill from Strengh and Magic, and shes good in both stats.

I know i miss the machinist but to be honest, it seems likes a useless class.....and for all trophy hunters, you don't need all Jobs for the technic trophy.

I read in some other forums and they say, you have to own it but not to learn.

Edited by Durandart

• 1 month later...

I wasn't too sure what to pick. My favourite party in the original was Fran, Ashe and Basch and I also had used these three for Yiazmet. 

I will mainly use Fran, Basch, Ashe and Vaan most likely, with either Balthier and Penelo as support roles

Vaan: Shikari + Bushi (Yiazmet killer)

Fran: Foebreaker + Shikari (good ranged attack and debuffing as she's my favourite so I want to use her a lot, even if she's not the best character for stats I'll persist anyway)

Basch: Knight + Bushi (good undead slayer with x3 swiftness and excaliber )

Ashe: Black Mage or Uhlan + Monk

Balthier:  White Mage + Machinist (healing with support, hastega) 

Penelo: Time Mage + Knight (time magic and support with some attack) 

Edited by Lava_Yuki