PSNProfiles Game of the Month Club

January 2018 Game of the Month Vote!  

11 members have voted

1. 1. What should our January 2018 Game of the Month be?

• Far From Noise (PlayStation 4)
    • Child of Light (PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, PlayStation Vita)
    • King of Fighters 2000 (PlayStation 4)
  2. 2. What should our January 2018 backup game be?

• VA-11 HALL-A (PlayStation Vita)
    • 8-bit Adventure Anthology: Volume I (PlayStation 4)
    • The Walking Dead: Michonne, Episodes 1-3 (PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4)

I'll get in on this, think its a great idea. Ive already done cosmic star heroine but i highly recommend it to everyone if you like turn based rpg games. It is a little buggy from what i remember though. Im on holiday for this week so on vita only atm but when i get home i will get on kings tale.

Couple of points/suggestions:

Will you be doing any kind of leaderboard with points for plat/100%? 

Could have a poll each month for next months game and backup.

Hey, that's a pretty neat idea--

1 hour ago, darkamdusias said:

-          The game cannot be a PS Vita exclusive (as much as I love the system). It must be additionally available on PS3/PS4 to be successfully nominated.

THIS IS A TERRIBLE IDEA. :awesome:

But seriously, I hope people enjoy taking part in this. I would take part myself, but I already kind of have a backlog problem, so I don't really want to add to that. Assuming you can join on a month by month basis, I'll consider taking part if I already own the game which has been selected.

44 minutes ago, Undead Wolf said:

But seriously, I hope people enjoy taking part in this. I would take part myself, but I already kind of have a backlog problem, so I don't really want to add to that. Assuming you can join on a month by month basis, I'll consider taking part if I already own the game which has been selected.

Yeah, same goes for me. I'll take a look each month what the new game's going to be and make the decision to join for that month (or not) then. Good idea for an event @darkamdusias!

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Yeah, same goes for me. I'll take a look each month what the new game's going to be and make the decision to join for that month (or not) then. Good idea for an event @darkamdusias!

I was thinking the exact same thing. I like the idea but can't be bothered to buy games just for this, if I happen to own them or I'm just interested in them I'll join for that month. But if not I guess I'll pass the month.

2 hours ago, wolverine123 said:

Couple of points/suggestions:

Will you be doing any kind of leaderboard with points for plat/100%? 

Could have a poll each month for next months game and backup.

1. Nope! No leaderboards in the topic! This is a topic centered more on discussion of games than performance (a ton of topics here do a wonderful job at that already), so someone who has 1% of the trophies in a game has the same standing as someone with 100% completion. We're more focused on conversation in this topic, so I'm going to try and keep things laid back.

2. Absolutely. I just added a poll.

2 hours ago, Undead Wolf said:

Hey, that's a pretty neat idea--

THIS IS A TERRIBLE IDEA. :awesome:

Trust me, if Vita had more gamers (besides us hardcore Vita fans) I'd absolutely have such a topic! I will try and keep the games as multi-platform as possible, though! Also, yes, you can totally join (or leave) on a month-by-month basis. I'd like this event to be as inclusive as possible.

1 hour ago, Lucas said:

23 minutes ago, Fredoline05 said:

I was thinking the exact same thing. I like the idea but can't be bothered to buy games just for this, if I happen to own them or I'm just interested in them I'll join for that month. But if not I guess I'll pass the month.

I totally understand where you guys are coming from, and hope to see you in future events! :)

PS - @Fredoline05: You can download A Kings Tale: Final Fantasy XV from the Playstation Store for free if you don't want to spend money on a game this month!

Edited by darkamdusias
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, darkamdusias said:

2. Absolutely. If it's possible to do multiple polls at once, please let me know how. I'm not so great at fancy forum tricks. :o

Trust me, if Vita had more gamers (besides us hardcore Vita fans) I'd absolutely have such a topic!

I dont even know how to make a single poll, i only ever go on here on my phone. You wouldnt need 2 though, new poll each month 1st place main game 2nd place backup. Im totally up for a vita only option aswell you could make that a 3rd option each month. I may play through CSH again on my other account this month to refresh my memory of it and join in the conversation.

Ive not finished ff15 yet does kings tale contain any spoilers to the main game? Im guessing not.

11 minutes ago, wolverine123 said:

I dont even know how to make a single poll, i only ever go on here on my phone. You wouldnt need 2 though, new poll each month 1st place main game 2nd place backup. Im totally up for a vita only option aswell you could make that a 3rd option each month. I may play through CSH again on my other account this month to refresh my memory of it and join in the conversation.

Ive not finished ff15 yet does kings tale contain any spoilers to the main game? Im guessing not.

No worries on the poll! I figured it out, and the polls are up now! As for A King's Tale, nope! No spoilers! It's more of a side story that adds almost nothing to the existing FFXV lore. It's really fun if you enjoyed old-school beat 'em ups though (TMNT: Turtles in Time, X-Men, The Simpsons, etc.).

19 minutes ago, darkamdusias said:

PS - @Fredoline05: You can download A Kings Tale: Final Fantasy XV from the Playstation Store for free if you don't want to spend money on a game this month!

Oh Really? I'll have a look at that tomorrow then, I might just sign up after all

Also voted in the poll for the 1 game I haven't started yet (Neon Chrome)

The others I've already started and imo Lovers in a Dangerous SpaceTime isn't really a good game for this seeing it's couch co-op

Edited by Fredoline05

10 minutes ago, darkamdusias said:

No worries on the poll! I figured it out, and the polls are up now! As for A King's Tale, nope! No spoilers! It's more of a side story that adds almost nothing to the existing FFXV lore. It's really fun if you enjoyed old-school beat 'em ups though (TMNT: Turtles in Time, X-Men, The Simpsons, etc.).

Nice im looking forward to that now, love old school beat em ups. I voted neon chrome as i already have it and wheels of aurelia just because.

While I appreciate the idea and the discussion that hopefully arises in this thread, I don't have the primary game for this month and don't want to start A King's Tale now. My backlog is big enough without Cosmic Star Heroine, I won't go out of my way to buy games to participate. But I'll keep an eye on this thread and come back once a month to join or wait longer.

Consider adding a list of all PSNP's Games of the Month to the starting post.

With that said, I hope you have a great time playing the games and talking about them :)

Edited by viech54

@Fredoline05: That's true. I initially thought to add it because it's charming, fin and different.

@wolverine123: Wheels of Aurelia is neat, if a little repetitive. The soundtrack is awesome (and comes with the game), and it teaches you a lot about 1970s Italy!

@viech54: Thank you! Hope to see you in the future!

Also, on my end, I started playing Cosmic Star Heroine, and it's charming so far! It resembles Chrono Trigger in all the right ways, and the writing is really well done. Also, this game is BRUTAL on the hardest difficulty. :o

I know I shouldn't between the summer backlog and the other events I'm taking part in, but I'm going to anyway. Let's see how much I can get done!

I'm probably going to be doing A King's Tale since it's free this month. Just need to download it first!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Satoshi Ookami said:

>game of the month

>not Vita exclusive

I'm out :awesome: 

on more serious note, good luck with the event 

Haha. Thanks. If you want to start a thread for Vita exclusives let me know, and I'd be happy to join. I love my Vita. :)

This is a brilliant idea for a thread!:yay:I've already done Final Fantasy XV: A Kings Tale but I shall check back next month to see what the choices are, but I'll definitely be participating in this at one point. :) 

• Like 1

So, has anyone begun Cosmic Star Heroine and/or A King's Tale: FFXV yet? I got the Platinum for CSH yesterday, and my thoughts on the story are below:

Overall, I liked the game a lot. The dialogue was well written, and the story was well paced. I'm generally not a fan of villains who show up/are revealed in the last act, but the fact didn't really detract from my enjoyment this time around. Arete's betrayal didn't really come as a surprise to me, but I'm glad it was there as part of the narrative; I do actually quite like the way the pulled it off. Finally the endings straightforward; there wasn't much in the way of character development by the time the endings happened, but that's understandable given the short time span of the game. I'll post more thoughts later.

Edited by darkamdusias

• 2 weeks later...

So I've played through the story on a kings tale, it's a half decent short game but it gets pretty repetitive. Reminds me alot of playing golden axe back in the day on the megadrive only this was alot easier. I've done 3 or 4 of the dream mode battles but I won't be rushing to 100% it. I could happily replay streets of rage 2 or golden axe 2 for the sake of nostalgia but in a newer game it just isn't the same somehow. 

I also played a bit of King's Tale. The game is really straightforward, just kill all enemies. However I found it became very repetitive really soon, luckely it's a short game because I can't see me playing that one over a long period of time. I finished story mode and started some of the dream mode battles, but some have really difficult objectives. Also the combo trophy seems like a pain in the ass. I don't know when I'll 100% this one, we'll see when I feel like it.

Well, this looks like a great idea, but the game choices this month exclude anyone who doesn't own a PS4 and there are plenty of folks who haven't been able to get one yet either due to lack of money or just being late adopters.  I really think this would be better if there was some assurance that no matter what system a person owns that they would be able to participate, even if that means having to up the number to 3-5 games and allowing some Vita exclusives as long as they aren't the only choices. 

On 7/29/2017 at 6:46 PM, wolverine123 said:

So I've played through the story on a kings tale, it's a half decent short game but it gets pretty repetitive. Reminds me alot of playing golden axe back in the day on the megadrive only this was alot easier. I've done 3 or 4 of the dream mode battles but I won't be rushing to 100% it. I could happily replay streets of rage 2 or golden axe 2 for the sake of nostalgia but in a newer game it just isn't the same somehow. 

On 7/29/2017 at 7:06 PM, Fredoline05 said:

I also played a bit of King's Tale. The game is really straightforward, just kill all enemies. However I found it became very repetitive really soon, luckely it's a short game because I can't see me playing that one over a long period of time. I finished story mode and started some of the dream mode battles, but some have really difficult objectives. Also the combo trophy seems like a pain in the ass. I don't know when I'll 100% this one, we'll see when I feel like it.

I think you both raise valid points about the game being pretty repetitive. I gave it a quick run through pretty recently as well, but I think my reaction was generally a positive one, as I enjoyed seeing lots of classic Final Fantasy enemies while playing an old-school brawler (the identity of the final boss was a treat too). While I'm not sure how much money I would have spent on it as a game, the fact that it was free (with no annoying in-app purchases to boot!) really did do a lot for me as well. Oh, and @Fredoline05, the combo trophy is actually a lot less difficult than it seems at first glance. Since the combo doesn't break until you get hit, it's actually quite doable if you just move slowly and take your time. The inputs might require a bit of practice at first glance though, so I can see how it might be a little annoying at first. 

15 hours ago, ladynadiad said:

Well, this looks like a great idea, but the game choices this month exclude anyone who doesn't own a PS4 and there are plenty of folks who haven't been able to get one yet either due to lack of money or just being late adopters.  I really think this would be better if there was some assurance that no matter what system a person owns that they would be able to participate, even if that means having to up the number to 3-5 games and allowing some Vita exclusives as long as they aren't the only choices. 

Your point about accessibility is fair; I'll try to keep an eye for more truly multi-platform alternatives for September 2017's game - please let me know if you have suggestions for multi-platform games under USD $15, as I do want to keep the cost of this event low. In regards to having a greater number of games, I think two at a time is as high as I'm willing to go, as I fear than upping the number any more would just make the discussion too chaotic and disorganized. I'd much rather have a smaller, more cohesive discussion, even if it means (unfortunately) limiting the number of people that can participate at once.