I'm buying a vita tomorrow, what games should I get?

angelgrievous

So I found what I believe to be a pretty good deal on a used Vita so I'm gonna buy it.  I'm mostly getting it to play my PSone classics, but I would like to know what some of the must play exclusives are.  I like pretty much any genre.  RPG's are a top, though not too much anime, racing games, platformers, Shoot em ups.  Let me know what's out there.  I've got a pretty good collection so far thanks to PS+ and cross play but other than that I'm looking at MGS HD collection and Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD, anything else you Vita peeps recommend?  

• Like 2

Hmmmm rpgs without anime style is a bit tricky on my tired mind. 

But I'd say def what @Kishnabe put in(especially P4Golden(it's got anime style, but it's hailed as the best rpg on vita)) as well as

Freedom Wars

Danganronpa: Ultra Despair Girls Another Episode (more of an adventure shooting type than the other danganronpas(which are amazing)) 

Uncharted

:I'll add more to this list when I'm more awake. That no anime style games is really putting a damper on my thoughts lol:

And don't forget Remote Play! 

It's awesome if you have a ps4. 

I'd say pick up Playstation Now for a year and you'd have all the games you'll almost ever need on vita, but they're not going to be supporting vita in a few months  : ( and it works pretty much flawlessly too : (

• Like 1

If you are using Big Boss' avatar you must get the MGS HD Collection, but you already said you are getting it, so nice choice!

I liked a Uncharted: Golden Abyss, and Killzone: Mercenary as well. 

Those are solid games.

Also, if you like the God of War games, you should get the HD Collection.

I haven't played it yet, but if you like Batman, you should grab Batman Arkham Origins Blackgate too.

• Like 1

Honestly at this point most of the best Vita exclusives have gotten ports or remakes on PS4, but I'll try to make a list of ones that haven't:

- Killzone Mercenary (very solid handheld FPS)

- LittleBigPlanet Vita (exactly what you'd expect)

- Tales of Hearts R (a solid entry in one of my favorite RPG series, but there's a good chance it's too anime for you)

- Uncharted: Golden Abyss (a full handheld Uncharted)

- Unit 13 (mission-based tactical 3rd-person shooter with optional co-op)

- Yomawari: Night Alone (my all-time favorite horror game)

- Ys: Memories of Celceta (action-RPG, slightly anime)

• Like 1

Just a heads up with PSOne Classics: since Vita is running the PSOne emulator within a PSP emulator, some of them have weird issues. Nothing critical, but things like dropping audio in Chrono Cross and Mega Man Legends or random choppiness in most games I've played.

Couldnt tell you what to buy though, as I bought mine for PSOne Classics and the all-important portable Spelunky and Fez ?

• Like 2

If you like RPG, play rainbow moon. It looks like wild arms (you should know, as you said you're getting a vito to play ps one classic). Soul sacrifice is very good. Freedom wars it's a good title too. Final fantasy X is a must have. It runs very well on vita. If you like action RPG you should get child of light it's great.

Well, Vita is almost all about JRPG and Visual novel. If you like, I recommend:

- Hyperdimension Neptunia Re:Birth 1, 2 and 3

- Final Fantasy X/X-2

- Persona 4 Golden

- Odin Sphere

- Steins;Gate

- Steins Gate 0

- Atelier Sophie 

- Atelier Firis

Also you can try with classic Playstation games like Final Fantasy VII.

Edited by AlchemistWer

Persona 4 Dancing All Night is quite an enjoyable and accessible rhythm game. Great music, stylish presentation and lovable characters from Persona 4 - though it has anime style visuals. It was actually my first game for Vita and the reason I bought the console in the first place.

Also grats on your purchase and welcome to the Vita owners' club! :)

• Like 2

Persona 4 Golden

Gravity Rush

Zero Escape series ( 999, VLR , ZTD)

Steins;Gate series

Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth

Muramasa Rebirth

Digimon Story : Cyber Sleuth

Root Letter

Uncharted : Golden Abyss

Killzone Mercenary

Severed

Salt and Sanctuary

Hatsune Miku : Project Diva

Resistance Burning Skies

Trails of Cold Steel

Sword Art Online 

Criminal Girls

Tearaway

Senran Kagura

Valkyrie Drive

God Eater 2 Rage Burst

Freedom Wars

Danganronpa

And then , people say that Vita has no games ?

Edited by Sigma999
  • Like 2

If you like mystery/puzzle-solving, Dangan Ronpa, The Nonary Games, and Root Letter are amazing. Oreshika is my favorite RPG/dungeon-crawler, and if you like rhythm games at all, IA/VT Colorful is really fun (though you'll need to order a physical copy off Amazon, as it's an import).

If you aren't already, Suikoden 2 is hands-down the best psx classic, and you should pick it up.

• Like 1

Top 9 of the best Vita games I have played in order of how good I thought they were! Some of them are available on other systems, still I played them on Vita and had a blast with them.

1. Persona 4 Golden (Note not finished about 60% of the way through it, but it's already won the top spot for me)
  2. Final Fantasy X HD
  3. Hotline Miami
  4. Guacamelee!
  5. Severed
  6. Muramasa Rebirth
  7. Rayman Origins
  8. Uncharted: Golden Abyss
  9. Gravity Rush (The PS4 Remaster is better though if you ask me ...)
Edited by tpepper1985
  • Like 2

Thanks for all the suggestions.  I'm not against anime at all.  I am just aware that the vita is home to some super anime anime games.  I love the persona series so I'll check out those.  Also going to get the Ys games.  

38 minutes ago, tpepper1985 said:

Top 9 of the best Vita games I have played in order of how good I thought they were! Some of them are available on other systems, still I played them on Vita and had a blast with them.

1. Persona 4 Golden (Note not finished about 60% of the way through it, but it's already won the top spot for me)
  2. Final Fantasy X HD
  3. Hotline Miami
  4. Guacamelee!
  5. Severed
  6. Muramasa Rebirth
  7. Rayman Origins
  8. Uncharted: Golden Abyss
  9. Gravity Rush (The PS4 Remaster is better though if you ask me ...)

Probably all of these except Gravity Rush as I have the PS4 Remaster.