Is the game worth it?

This game was my first big disappointment as a gamer. I've tried to like it for 40! hrs but in the end I had to give up, cause nothing clicked with me. 

But I was a huge fan of the previous titles, which means it always had the potential to fail if certain things are worse or just too different.

This game was my Phantom Menace ;) 

As an FF game it was quite divisive, a lot didn't like the style of the game while others loved it, gambit system and all.   Personally I think it's a fantastic game, and it's £30 roughly on Amazon right now...I have it sitting here still sealed until I can get the time to sink my teeth into it.   :)

• Like 3

I am on the fence with this as well. First time around all those years ago i got through the story, but just could not stand to put any more time into it. 11 years later, perhaps I would be more into it then I was back then. Hard to say. The price is decent enough, I feel if it dropped maybe $10 more I would grab it. 

One of my favorite PS2 games BUT absolutely disgusting to ask 50 bucks for a remaster of a 10 year old game. The textures look the same, there's pop in and it runs at 30fps. I love the game but this is not a policy I can support. FFX remaster had 2 games in it and cost 30 at release.

• Like 2

I would definitely say it's worth it, I never played the original so it was a completely new game to me and I've enjoyed it a lot. I've been playing it non-stop and I've played 7,10 and 13 if it matters but the only problem I can see for most people is the battle system. If you look at a video and don't mind the looks of it then why not? It's got a great story, plenty of extra stuff to do and the characters are likable. =)

2 hours ago, DennisWilles said:

One of my favorite PS2 games BUT absolutely disgusting to ask 50 bucks for a remaster of a 10 year old game. The textures look the same, there's pop in and it runs at 30fps. I love the game but this is not a policy I can support. FFX remaster had 2 games in it and cost 30 at release.

People always go there while they don't even understand how these things work, the ammount of games or work means nothing on the final price, for a game to be released they have to pay for a lot of things like licensing and stuff like that, but for a re-release those things cost a lot less, sometimes they don't even have to pay for them again because they already did before, FFX is a re-release of a PS3 game, the bulk of the cost where already paid for, so they could afford to ask for a smaller price for it, this one is a brand new release (yes, even though it's a remaster for legal purposes it's still a new release) and the costs behind it are a lot higher so they need an higher asking price so they can get their money back.

You think they're asking for a lot more then you think they should, fine, wait for a price drop then, but don't act like they're ripping of customers.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Devil_Spooky said:

People always go there while they don't even understand how these things work, the ammount of games or work means nothing on the final price, for a game to be released they have to pay for a lot of things like licensing and stuff like that, but for a re-release those things cost a lot less, sometimes they don't even have to pay for them again because they already did before, FFX is a re-release of a PS3 game, the bulk of the cost where already paid for, so they could afford to ask for a smaller price for it, this one is a brand new release (yes, even though it's a remaster for legal purposes it's still a new release) and the costs behind it are a lot higher so they need an higher asking price so they can get their money back.

You think they're asking for a lot more then you think they should, fine, wait for a price drop then, but don't act like they're ripping of customers.

I don't understand the whole "disgusting" part of the argument myself.  Falling face first into human feces is, to me, disgusting.  A company asking a certain price for their product is simply business.  Whether or not a consumer wants to pay said price is completely up to them.  I didn't play the game on the PS2 for reasons and am happy to have the chance to play it as a "remaster".  I paid full asking price and am happy with my purchase.  

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Devil_Spooky said:

I was talking about the PS3 initial release. Same goes for Kingdom Hearts 1.5 and 2.5, they both cost 30 at release.

Of course they're ripping off customers, how naive are you? It's the same as Skyrim VR being full priced. Or Destiny cutting out content and selling it for the price of the initial game later. They do it because they get away with it.

This ""remaster"" looks exactly like emulating the original at 1080p and you can do that with the international version as well.. the work that went into this was minimal. The price should reflect that. Had it been a 60fps remaster with better textures, fair enough but this? Unacceptable.

The story is no where near as good as the ff7-ff10 games and I thought it got kind of boring but finished up alright. Kind of like ff15. But the more I played ff12 the more addicting it became. There is so much stuff to do outside the storyline that you could easily get lost in for weeks! Doing all the hunts/marks and eventually beating yiazmat is worth playing the game alone besides the story!

• Like 1

I still have my PS2 copy kicking around. I'd say it was about a 6.5/7 out of ten when I first played it about a decade ago.

But after that trainwreck called Final Fantasy XV, I'm actually enjoying this for a change.

I didn't like it back in the day, I still have the ps2 version. However I decided to give it a chance and bought this on disc yesterday, it's safe to say that I really miss Squaresoft. Regardless, it was worth it for a 2nd try and I'm enjoying it.

On sábado, 15 de Julho de 2017 at 10:55 AM, DennisWilles said:

I was talking about the PS3 initial release. Same goes for Kingdom Hearts 1.5 and 2.5, they both cost 30 at release.

Of course they're ripping off customers, how naive are you? It's the same as Skyrim VR being full priced. Or Destiny cutting out content and selling it for the price of the initial game later. They do it because they get away with it.

This ""remaster"" looks exactly like emulating the original at 1080p and you can do that with the international version as well.. the work that went into this was minimal. The price should reflect that. Had it been a 60fps remaster with better textures, fair enough but this? Unacceptable.

This, this right here is proof that you know nothing of what you're talking about, not only it's just like what Virdeborn said about the work involved in this remaster, there's also the fact that you don't take into consideration things like publishing rights, licensing, programing, publicity, manwork, etc. Publishing for example, you talked about how FFX on the PS3 was sold for a smaller price then this, you do know that the fact that any dev is able to release any game on any system has them paying a fee to that system creator right? So, for SE to release a game on PS4, ONE, or Switch they have to pay each of them a fee, as well as giving them a percentage of every sale until they reach a certain number of copies sold, and that those fees are higher now then what they where back on the last gen, that's why they could afford a smaller asking price then then they do now.

So no, contrary of what you believe, making a remaster like this doesn't just involve a couple of interns, picking a game that's already made, update the resolution, print in on a brand new disc and release it for a profit, it involves a lot of things behind the scenes, sometimes even rebuilding the original engine from scratch so it can be even playable on a system it was never considered when it was originally created, lots of licensing, publishing and other legal expenses, and in the end it still has to turn on a profit because lets be honest here, they're not doing this just for the fun of it, it's a business and they have families to feed.

Again, you think it's too much for a game you already payed for and played before? Fine, wait for a price drop or get it used or whatever, but don't illude yourself thinking that they are heartless people feeding on the poor little fanboy's nostalgia to make a quick buck, because honestly it makes you look like a little kid that has no ideia how the world of adults really work.

On 2017-07-14 at 4:09 PM, DennisWilles said:

Well Nintendo was asking that for 4 old NES games so I guess Square figures fanboys will buy anything.

Seriously this is a Wait for a sale game. I picked up the Final Fantasy X collection (2 games) for 30 bucks so no need to spend 50 on 1 game

After spending a few hours on it I have to say I'm really enjoying it. Back in the day, after multiple completions of 6,7,8 and 10, I just wasn't ready for 12. Now is the right time for me to be playing FF12.

Edited by Z1MZUM