Emotionally biggest gaming moments

Sikatiiker

Which moments in gaming made you feel it's all worth it? What made you disappoint in wasting lots of time with gaming?

I'll start. I managed to avoid Assassin's Creed the movie this far. Now I watched it, kind of liked it a bit and now I want to play the Ezio stuff all over again.

Building your collection of weapons and fortress and giving Ezio the most important waking hours of your life for weeks and then getting in touch with those who came before was the break point for me back in the days. That made me really enjoy gaming instead of just playing online shooters and retro games for nostalgia.

Mine would be all of the story in The Last of Us as that just really got to me. I still can't play it without crying. 

Another for me would be when I replay one of my old games so for example, Alias, Harvest Moon, The Sims, as they make me feel happy/nostalgic and they always remind me of when I used to play them when I was younger (and absolutely fail at them :D )

• Like 3

I know you guys talk about in-game story related stuff, but eh, for me it's stuff like learning they were working on Tombi 3 and went bankrupt. :( Or how disappointed I was when I first time played Rayman 2, especially knowing what Rayman 2 initially going to be like. :( 

2 hours ago, Sikatiiker said:

Which moments in gaming made you feel it's all worth it? What made you disappoint in wasting lots of time with gaming?

I'll start. I managed to avoid Assassin's Creed the movie this far. Now I watched it, kind of liked it a bit and now I want to play the Ezio stuff all over again.

Building your collection of weapons and fortress and giving Ezio the most important waking hours of your life for weeks and then getting in touch with those who came before was the break point for me back in the days. That made me really enjoy gaming instead of just playing online shooters and retro games for nostalgia.

Probably

Spoiler

saving Ellie in TLOU/losing Joel's daughter, though Naruto: UNS4 had plenty of emotional moments. I dunno, Horizon had a lot, especially when Aloy's a little girl, or when she loses Roth. Or, the plot twist on Black Ops' campaign -- REZNOV!! Aside from that,

I guess I've missed out on story-driven games. 

Edited by Stevieboy
added spoiler tags
  • Like 1

Metal Gear Solid 4

Big Boss, Solid Snake, Liquid Ocelot, Raiden, Otacon's individual epilogues was an emotional overload since all of them were well-written and memorable characters.

Dust: An Elysian Tail

Dust's death really had me almost in tears since I liked Dust and he managed to grow on me rather quickly.

Final Fantasy X

The "death" of the badass, Auron. It was a tragedy that he died many years prior to the game, but his strong willpower allowed him to "live" on as a guide for Tidus. By the end of the game where Yuna was ready to give him closure, I was pretty bummed since I knew I lost a valuable party member and  a kickass supporting character.

Edited by NullRay85
  • Like 2

The ending of shadow of the collossus destroyed me. I never felt so many different emotions when this masterpiece was over. No other game ever accomplished that.

On a side note, Life is strange, the first ending, was great too. The cinematography and the final song were outstanding.

• Like 2

Sad Moments

The Walking Dead Season 1: the final scene made me cry... one of the hardest decisions ever made in a videogame...

Final Fantasy X: The Sending after arriving Kilika... the Final Bossfight plus the following sequence until the game ends...

Life is Strange: Final Decision :(

Good moments

Just Cause 2: destroying buildings, seeing big explosions...

GTA San Andreas using a parachute every time i jumped off a plane or helicopter :D

Edited by Evil_Joker88
  • Like 1

Sad moment:

The Last of Us

Spoiler

Sara's death... That's it.

I hope that's the last :unsure: 

Good moment:

FIFA 15

Defeated the CPU on Legend 2-1.

FIFA 16

Longest range goal with the keeper from the center.

Edited by ee28max
  • Like 3

There have been mentioned many great moments here, which I have also experienced.
My biggest personal breakdown appeared because of... Silent Hill.
The moment?

Spoiler

Death of Lisa Garland. Bleeding eyes, creepiness spilling out of the screen, "innocent woman" literally devastated by the burden of her sins, unconciously approaching Harry with terrifying, open attitude... Not mentioning uncertain ending and a diary left.

And that track, simple, yet unbelievably painful track. I cried.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, paranoia_agent85 said:

The Metal Gear Solid 4 epilogue is amazing and has a great emotional payoff for those that have played the entire series.

1 hour ago, samunrizthym said:

the end of Mgs 3 snake reater 

1 hour ago, XShadowNebula01 said:

The cutscene in Okami right before the final boss fight.

All this games mentioned above and I will definitely add Journey and ICO.

Pretty much all of Lone Survivor was very moving.

Also, some of the side quests in Nier: Automata are extremely bleak and moving.

@Stevieboy - what is the expiery date on spoilers for this site? Most of the games mentioned are over a year old, I would have thought if anyone cared about spoilers for these games they would have played them already?

Not to mention the fact that it has already been proven that people enjoy movies/ books/ games more if they have been spoiled for them:

https://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/news/spoiler-alert-spoilers-make-you-enjoy-stories-more

5 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Pretty much all of Lone Survivor was very moving.

Also, some of the side quests in Nier: Automata are extremely bleak and moving.

@Stevieboy - what is the expiery date on spoilers for this site? Most of the games mentioned are over a year old, I would have thought if anyone cared about spoilers for these games they would have played them already?

Not to mention the fact that it has already been proven that people enjoy movies/ books/ games more if they have been spoiled for them:

https://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/news/spoiler-alert-spoilers-make-you-enjoy-stories-more

Not everyone has the money to buy every game they want to play, and with backlogs, people may not get to them immediately either, that's a terrible assumption to make.

edit: not everyone enjoys spoilers, I hate them and it makes me not want to play or finish something that's been spoiled

A lot of star ocean 2 was moving to me

Edited by SnowxSakura
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

That link is ridiculous, almost as ridiculous as proposing that somehow it's fact that, as you directly say, "people enjoy <getting shit spoiled for them>". I hate spoilers, and it's actually put me off completing games for extended periods of time since the payoff felt no longer worth it, and made me leave websites for douche bags who consistently bought strategy guides early just for the sake of running to forums and intentionally spoiling games. Hell, I don't even like people who start to recommend a movie/game/book/whatever and just start listing off every major plot moment to you, like somehow that's going to entice you to see/read/play it (we all know "that guy"). To you I say: no, keep the spoilers to yourself.

Anyway, Uncharted 4's ending was very emotional, but I think it's because it was a very good ride, and it was very sad to see it just finally conclude.

19 minutes ago, Stevieboy said:

As far as I'm concerned, spoilers don't have expiry dates. If a story is spoiled for someone in a story driven game then it doesn't matter how old that game is. Also, the argument that if a game has been out for a certain amount of time and the person hasn't played it yet that it must mean they don't care about spoilers is unwarranted. Plenty of people have huge backlogs, or are waiting on a game to drop to a certain price before buying, or haven't had the time to play it yet. There are plenty of reasons why they might not have played it yet.

Basically, a spoiler is a spoiler regardless of age.

So people who, like me, primarily post using the mobile site (which does not have the ability to use Spoiler tags) they cannot make reference to, say,

Spoiler

Aries dying in FFVII

or

Spoiler

Raiden being a main character in MGS2

or

Spoiler

Darth Vader being Luke's Father

or

Spoiler

Jesus being resurrected after his crucifixion

just in case people still haven't got around to finishing these stories?

That seems a bit excessive.

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

So people who, like me, primarily post using the mobile site (which does not have the ability to use Spoiler tags) they cannot make reference to, say,

Reveal hidden contents

Aries dying in FFVII

or

Reveal hidden contents

Raiden being a main character in MGS2

or

Reveal hidden contents

Darth Vader being Luke's Father

or

Reveal hidden contents

Jesus being resurrected after his crucifixion?

That seems a bit excessive.

Well, I've never played FF VII so the first one is a spoiler for me. The second one would be a minor spoiler for MGS 2. Plenty of people have never seen The Empire Strikes Back, so that's also a spoiler for them.

It doesn't matter if it seems excessive. The bottom line is a spoiler is a spoiler regardless of age. Spoiler tags should still be used when discussing plot points, that's what they are there for.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Stevieboy said:

Well, I've never played FF VII so the first one is a spoiler for me. The second one would be a minor spoiler for MGS 2. Plenty of people have never seen The Empire Strikes Back, so that's also a spoiler for them.

It doesn't matter if it seems excessive. The bottom line is a spoiler is a spoiler regardless of age. Spoiler tags should still be used when discussing plot points, that's what they are there for.

Yes, my point is that they aren't there if you are using the mobile site, which a lot of us do.