Emotionally biggest gaming moments

Sikatiiker

On 16.7.2017 at 2:45 PM, MMDE said:

I know you guys talk about in-game story related stuff, but eh, for me it's stuff like learning they were working on Tombi 3 and went bankrupt. :( Or how disappointed I was when I first time played Rayman 2, especially knowing what Rayman 2 initially going to be like. :( 

I didn't see this topic building up as a pile of spoilers only. Actually what I had in mind was memories.

I'll always remember playing dozens of Playstation magazine demo discs at my friend when I only had Sega Master System at home. Also I'll always remember my cousin who gave us stuff like C64 or After Burner (Master System) for free.

Plot twists are often equally memorable just remember the spoiler tags!

I think I never had such immense goosebumps in a game before as I did in NieR: Automata.

Extreme Spoilers down there. You have been warned.

Spoiler

When you start your third! Playthrough: After 2B dies and everything goes to shit, including the Base and every friend and colleague you ever had. The moment when ''NieR: Automata'' apears on screen, over explosions that look like fireworks made out of sadness, I was absolutely devastated.

I loved 2B. I think she is one of the most kick-ass female protagonists to a game ever. And the way how- and the reason why she died only strenghtened my feelings for this part and this Character. What a game.

Oh, and when Pascal's 'Kids' commit mass suicide and he wants you to erase him... that was also... uhm yeah. Let's say not the nicest thing I have ever seen.

A few of my picks, obviously spoilers!

Final Fantasy VII

Spoiler

The death of Aeris, this is probably the first big example for me. I was quite young when I played this game and I had Aeris in my party for the whole game up until that point, I kept thinking she'd get revived somehow but it never happened. 

Mass Effect 2 / 3

Spoiler

Suicide Mission in Mass Effect 2 is a masterpiece when I went through it I only lost Thane but even realising that there were actual stakes made the ending so much more impactful. 

In Mass Effect 3 when Mordin dies curing the Genophage, was a great arc and I still remember the "Someone else would have gotten it wrong" phrase to this day.

The Walking Dead

Spoiler

Lee's Death at the end of the game, I have never cried because of a video game but this was the closest I got. I had chopped Lee's arm off thinking he might somehow survive, but you get to watch that process as he slowly turns, running on willpower alone by the end until he just couldn't go on anymore. 

Persona 4 Golden

Spoiler

The death of Nanako, I really thought she was dead and I don't remember ever playing a game where they had the balls to kill off a kid. That whole scene is so well done, the way Dojima reacts and the fact he was too late to catch her last moments, I felt terrible.

MGS4

Spoiler

Crawling through that Microwave tunnel as Snake gets slowly grilled alive, and the final fist fight with Occelot. For those who had played all of the modern MGS games MGS4 had so many moments like this but the ending sticks with me the most.

Gears of War 2 & 3

Spoiler

Dom finding and shooting his Wife Maria in Gears of War 2. Dom's Death in Gears of War 3

Edited by tpepper1985

On 7/16/2017 at 7:45 AM, MMDE said:

I know you guys talk about in-game story related stuff, but eh, for me it's stuff like learning they were working on Tombi 3 and went bankrupt. :( Or how disappointed I was when I first time played Rayman 2, especially knowing what Rayman 2 initially going to be like. :( 

Wow, I didn't even know that Rayman 2 was supposed to be a 2D game, if that's what you're talking about. You learn something new everyday. As awesome as it sounds I think I'm glad they went with 3D because Rayman 2 was a mysteriously fun platformer (and that's why there's umpteen ports of it).

On topic: the bad ending to Oddworld Munch's Oddysee was the only time I cried hard to a video game. The other Oddworld bad endings are awful as well but that one takes the cake for being the most heart-wrenching.

If anyone is looking for a cavalcade of emotions, play Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons (available on PS3 & PS4).

Play slowly, and ponder each situation you encounter.  Some of them will render you awestruck with the magnitude of feeling.  Upon completing it the first time, I sat back, wiped tears away, and understood how powerful story telling in gaming can be, words not necessarily required.

The game that made me a gamer was Metal Gear: Solid.

Nostalgia story time:

I'm 40, so I've been playing games for a long time. When I was 12, I got an MSX home computer. It's not a well-known system in the US, but it's like a C64 — 8-bit CPU, cassettes, diskettes, the whole she-bang, but it was more like a standard and not just one machine. It was popular in Japan, so a lot of games were Japanese too. It's also the platform that had the original Metal Gear 1 and Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake. On my MSX, I loved the Japanese games best, especially the Konami ones. They were polished, creative, the music was awesome, and they came from friggin' JAPAN. There was no internet back then, so it was like this mythical land of wonders.

The MSX was a home computer, think of it as a PC, but a bit less powerful. I got into programming, learned Basic and Z80 assembly and was pretty much always trying to program games. When I finally got a 486, I learned Pascal, C++ and x86 assembly. I played some games too, of course, but I was more interested in programming than in just playing games. The games I liked were mostly dungeon crawlers like Eye of the Beholder, Might & Magic and Lands of Lore, and point n click adventures (see avatar).

The one thing I really missed were Japanese games. There just weren't any on PC back then. Manga (which was actually anime, but everyone called it manga because it was distributed by Manga Video over here) became a thing and I loved it immediately. It was as magical as those games. There was internet at that point, I think, but not too many people had it yet. We didn't have it at home at least. It was hard trying to find anime, because all I could find was pretty much what the video stores had.

A friend of mine told me there would be an manga meet-up. They'd show movies that were popular in Japan and weren't released over here. It was really something special back then. So I went, saw three Evangelion episodes, some Slayers, stuff like that. It was awesome. There were laser discs, video tapes with those yellow subtitles, it was amazing to find other people who were into it. There were some more small-scale meet-ups of like 100 people, then it got a lot bigger and turned into an actual convention. There were vendors with merchandise and video tapes, and a game room too. They had a lot of Japanese PlayStations too.

I knew PlayStation existed, it had been out for two years or so. Because I had switched to PC, consoles weren't really on my radar. I played some NES, SNES and MegaDrive at friends when I was a kid, but that was pretty much it. That game room blew me away! All those games that I remembered from my MSX days, but on steroids. The graphics were amazing, there was stuff going on all over the screen, they had colorful title screens, fantastic music, everything about them was awesome! It was then and there that I decided to get myself a PlayStation and finally experience some Japanese games again.

So I picked one up, bought Blaze & Blade because the cover looked Japanese and Metal Gear: Solid. I remember thinking "oh hey, Metal Gear is still around." I played through it in a few days and was just blown away. Psycho Mantis made my controller move, said I was reckless because I hadn't saved that often, the storytelling was such a step up from other games I'd played that it was like playing a Hollywood movie, and when I finally finished it, I was just looking at the end sequence and listening to that The Best Is Yet to Come song. That was the moment I turned into a gamer. That song can still give me the same feeling sometimes.

So a pretty long story. Hope I tickled someone's nostalgia with this. ?

• Like 4

The pre-epilogue ending cinematics from Uncharted 4. I played all the other Uncharted games shortly before 4 and so it all came home to me, thinking about how far the characters had come, their relationships, how much I'd come to care about what happened to them. I think I was sat there with a big dumb grin on my face through that whole cinematic. 

I could list a bunch of emotional JRPG endings (FFX, Persona 4 and 5, Valkyria Chronicles, etc.) but for me it was probably when I broke into the top 5k in osumania ranking. I just barely made it (I peaked at rank 4995 lol), and it was significant because 5k is the border for being eligible to be in the world cup. 

The maddest I've been at a game (not frustration from difficulty, just the game itself) was when I started playing Atelier Iris 3. In Iris 1 Iris was a famous person from the past and theres a lot of backstory involving her, 2 takes place when she's a little kid, but shes still not the main character. All I knew about 3 was that Iris was finally going to be the main character, and after playing 2 I was super hyped to see the events in the backstory from 1 fleshed out....

It turns out this "iris" in 3 is a completely different character despite looking the same and the game has nothing to do with the other 2 at all ...?

Oh I have another one ...

Fighting the Lich King in World of Warcraft, I loved the story & lore of Warcraft those had had played especially Warcraft III & The Frozen Throne watching Arthus slowly be corrupted from a Paladin to a Death Knight and in the end merging with The Lich King. Then waiting years and years to be able to finally see it through and fight him at the top of Icecrown Citadel in World of Warcraft. Even though it is an MMO there was for sure some feels when we finally beat him and saw the end of that story.

5 hours ago, Sikatiiker said:

I didn't see this topic building up as a pile of spoilers only. Actually what I had in mind was memories.

I'll always remember playing dozens of Playstation magazine demo discs at my friend when I only had Sega Master System at home. Also I'll always remember my cousin who gave us stuff like C64 or After Burner (Master System) for free.

Plot twists are often equally memorable just remember the spoiler tags!

You have the word "emotionally" in the title so people are naturally posting sad moments in video games which usually occur towards the end of a game and may include deaths of characters -> spoilers. In that case you should have framed the question differently such as "Most important gaming moments" or "What moment in gaming has had the biggest impact on you?"

The gaming moment that has had the biggest impact on me was BioShock's plot twist. But nowadays I support the idea of determinism, so the moment is less powerful to me now. 

But if we're looking for emotional experiences, Life Is Strange was pretty emotional. What was even more emotional is when I was a kid, I accidentally overwrote my save file in Final Fantasy IX (I was on 3rd disc). I had to start all over, and I thought I lost so much progress. 

A lot of moments but i will choose those i fell the first time i play the  the Mass Effect trilogy.

Mass Effect:

Spoiler

To choose between Ashley and Alenko and also the way you fell when confronting Wrex

Mass Effect 2:

Spoiler

The whole game, but especially the suicide mission, how everything you do, every alliance actually meant something here, they way I felt while doing the mission trying to keep them all alive but loosing most of the Normandy crew at the end because I take to much preparing myself for the last mission (all this the first time i play the mission) 

Mass Effect 3:

Spoiler

A lot of moments, the dispair seeing the earth attacked by the Reapers, the sadness of seeing many old friends sacrifice themselves for the greater good (such as Thane and  Legion),i felt scare in those missions with your old crew members like Jacob and Grunt cuz i thought they may die (wich thanks to my choicies in previous games didn't happen), the excitment when i saw that old friends from the last game would join me in the final battle, and that awesome intro when returning to the earth... awessoness! And at last, those dialogues with your friends while you are in the earth before the final strike, talking to Garrus, Tali etc... to much feelings :'(

• Like 1

The final boss fight and the final cutcene of Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater.

The final cutscene of Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots.

Episode 43: Shinning Lights, Even in Death and the following cutscene of Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain.

The final cutscene of chapter 4 from Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker.

The cutscene from the last Cristina memory from Assassin's Creed Brotherhood.

The cutscene from Assassin's Creed II where Ezio witnesses the fate of his family.

On 2.8.2017 at 4:33 PM, ID-69 said:

You have the word "emotionally" in the title so people are naturally posting sad moments in video games which usually occur towards the end of a game and may include deaths of characters -> spoilers. In that case you should have framed the question differently such as "Most important gaming moments" or "What moment in gaming has had the biggest impact on you?"

You're right about that. I'm not complaining. I had both in my mind and I'm having a good time reading these replies.