PS3 Super slim issues (disc drive)

Raidou Kuzunoha XIV

So to try and make a long story short, my 8 year old original 80GB fat unfortunately died mid last year. I got a brand new super slim in May, and it seemed perfectly fine at first. Never had any issues with it aside from the occasional freezing in some games, but I had that on the original PS3 as well. Then about 5 months later, all of a sudden when I come back to my PS3 after leaving it on pause for about 10 minutes while I had to go do something, the game has frozen. I can't power it down normally, so I hold down the power button to switch it off, and then every time after that there's no image on the TV from the PS3 despite the fact it powers. I go through all the solutions, try different TVs and hold down the power button, etc. Nothing. Take it back to the store, they test it out, say the graphics card has likely died, and give me a replacement since it's still under warranty.

Get the new PS3, re-download and install everything, etc. A couple of weeks after owning it, I get this issue two or three times where the PS3 can't seem to read the disc after it has been inserted. I hear noises from it like it's trying to read it, but there's no disc icon on the screen no matter how long I leave it. Opening and close the disc tray usually solved this, and the issue seemed to go away by itself after those two or three occurrences, so I shrugged it off.

However, as of last month, after it was running smoothly up till now (aside from a few game freezes, as per usual), I start getting a few odd errors such as error code 8001000B when trying to access my cloud storage or sync trophies. Turning the Playstation on and off again always solves this though.

Then I get another error when starting a game telling me that trophy information could not be installed (don't remember the error code), and that the game would close. Opened the game back up, and it worked fine, and all other times since.

Then I get an issue where after quitting back to the XMB from a game, my XMB is basically empty, nothing under my game tabs or most of the other tabs. Switch it off and on again, and then there's no picture on the TV screen. That gets me a bit worried, but I switch it off and on yet again, and it's fine after that.

Then I notice I seem to be getting more frequent freezes. Nothing that a single push on the power button followed by the 3 beeps doesn't solved, haven't gotten the "PS3 did not shut down correctly" screen when starting it back up again so far.

And then just earlier this evening, I switch on the PS3 and immediately have error code 8001000B when trying to access my profile. Switch it off and on, then I hear my PS3 making disc drive noises. Scroll over to my games, there's no disc icon there. Open the tray and close it, and it manages to read the disc.

Unfortunately, this has kept happening this evening. After playing Dead Island with a friend earlier, I put my Sly Collection back in there, and it doesn't seem to be able to read the disc. Open and close the tray again, it reads it, but I try another disc to make sure it isn't just that disc. Unfortunately, it isn't, and is doing the same thing on other discs.

Generally, just opening and closing the disc tray solves it, but it's gotten to the point where it rarely seems to read the disc first time when putting it in, and sometimes I do need to remove the disc completely and put it back in for it to read. The game will run perfectly fine once it has read, played Dead Island for about 2 and a half hours with no issues, and thankfully no freezing, but the fact it's having any issues at all reading discs is concerning.

TL;DR: I've been having a multitude of small issues with my PS3 super slim, mostly freezing and error code 8001000B when trying to sync trophies or access my cloud storage. The most serious issue I'm having is with the disc drive, which has randomly started having problems reading discs. There's no error code given, the disc icon simply doesn't appear on the XMB, and I can hear the PS3 constantly trying to read the disc, but failing. Opening and closing the disc tray normally solves this.

This PS3 is still under warranty until early October. The thing is, I'm not entirely sure I'd even get a new PS3 if I did take it back to the store, since they were already basically gone last year, and now they seem to be sold out everywhere including their website. I also don't really want to re-download and install all my games and saves yet again so soon, so I'm honestly just debating whether I should look into repairing my current super slim and/or my old fatty should this console actually end up dying.

This is honestly really disappointing, since I never had this many issues with the original PS3 model, but I've been getting all these issues with TWO brand new super slims in just a year. Most of my consoles usually last for years and years, or die within the first 12 months (only other console that's done that though aside from my first PS3 super slim has been a 360, within two weeks of purchase). 

I'm wondering from other people's experiences, just how reliable is the super slim PS3 model in general? Am I just having bad luck with this model?

Has anyone else had similar issues with their PS3?

Also, does anyone know what the issues with my PS3 might be? I was assuming it was maybe just hard drive issues at first with the 8001000B errors and freezing, but now I'm also having issues with the disc drive, I don't know if it's multiple issues, or simply just the disc drive.

3 minutes ago, AlexJones_Bankai said:

I can't help in any way sorry, but I can vouch for the Super Slim having a LOT of problems, I had 3 before I gave up and went back to the standard model. Hope that gives you at least some comfort (its not just you).

That's fine, and yeah, it is some small comfort knowing it isn't just me having a ton of issue with the super slim. I still play the PS3 a lot since I still have a huge backlog for it, and there's still old favourites for it I enjoy going back to now and again, so it's frustrating getting this many issues when I even opted for buying a brand new PS3 instead of a much cheaper pre-owned one (never really trusted second hand hardware).

Really just thinking of trying to get my original PS3 repaired at this point, I don't think the issue it had was even that serious (think the thermal paste had just worn out), and it isn't entirely dead, it still turns on... I just can't really do much on it any more since it randomly keeps shutting itself off when I play games on it now (with 3 beeps and a blinking red light).

• Like 1

My PS3 Phat from 2008 had YLOD somewhere mid 2014. I had it repaired but 3 months later the YLOD came back, that's when I replaced it with the Super Slim 250GB model and actually I don't really have issues with it. The only game that seems to freeze is Skyrim and I still haven't got any error message so far. Maybe I'm lucky with my model, but I can't really complain about it.

5 minutes ago, SuperSmexy500 said:

That's fine, and yeah, it is some small comfort knowing it isn't just me having a ton of issue with the super slim. I still play the PS3 a lot since I still have a huge backlog for it, and there's still old favourites for it I enjoy going back to now and again, so it's frustrating getting this many issues when I even opted for buying a brand new PS3 instead of a much cheaper pre-owned one (never really trusted second hand hardware).

Really just thinking of trying to get my original PS3 repaired at this point, I don't think the issue it had was even that serious (think the thermal paste had just worn out), and it isn't entirely dead, it still turns on... I just can't really do much on it any more since it randomly keeps shutting itself off when I play games on it now (with 3 beeps and a blinking red light).

If it's shutting itself off, then the console is protecting the processors from overheating, it is very likely your suspicion that the thermal paste needs to be replaced

1 hour ago, SuperSmexy500 said:

I'm wondering from other people's experiences, just how reliable is the super slim PS3 model in general? 

I've had my super slim pretty well since they dropped in late 2012, 500gb model. My slim's HDMI was on the fritz and the thing would only output through the AV multi out, there was a decent trade in deal so I took it.

It has never had a single issue, unlike the slim I had, unlike the two or three fats I've picked up here and there, it works perfectly fine and I can't tell you how many times I've taken the hard drive out and shoved it in another PS3 and then shoved it back in there too. Right now I'm using the PS3 as a door stop.

Point is, it's never let me down, and as far as other people I know go. This guy Tom picked one up a couple years back, preowned mind you, and his is working fine. Another friend, Jess, had hers for a few years but then her house flooded and it died, but that's hardly the PS3's fault, it was going fine before that. My partner had a super slim too and it went fine until we got rid of it, though I forgot that we ended up giving it to Jess so that's only two examples. Anyway, point is, as far as I've encountered, they're the most reliable PS3 model available. 

Unfortunate you've had all this bullshit happen to you, but I feel you. My original Vita's touch screen went bonkers after a few years so I ditched it in favor of a new slim one back when they were still in stores, it's screen went crazy after 3 or 4 days. Swapped it for another one, and it's went crazy a day or two quicker. Ended up buying a New 3DS XL with the money back in early 2015 and that sucker just won't die.

10 hours ago, SnowxSakura said:

If it's shutting itself off, then the console is protecting the processors from overheating, it is very likely your suspicion that the thermal paste needs to be replaced

Hopefully that isn't too complicated to replace then. I really don't know much about replacing hardware, best I've ever done before is change the CPU fan in my desktop computer.

9 hours ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

Unfortunate you've had all this bullshit happen to you, but I feel you. My original Vita's touch screen went bonkers after a few years so I ditched it in favor of a new slim one back when they were still in stores, it's screen went crazy after 3 or 4 days. Swapped it for another one, and it's went crazy a day or two quicker. Ended up buying a New 3DS XL with the money back in early 2015 and that sucker just won't die.

Thankfully I've never had any issues with my original Vita, but that really sucks that two separate slim Vitas died on you so quickly. Nintendo consoles tend to be a brick, I've never had one die on me before. The oldest Nintendo console I still own (sold off my N64 and Gameboy color) is my Gamecube, which is about 15-16 years old now, and still works fine (at least it did last year when I last played it).

Anywho, just an update on my PS3, the issue with it reading/spinning discs seem to keep coming and going away for no apparent reason. I tried several discs earlier and it didn't have any issue reading them first time. However, there was an update on one of the games, accepted, then notice the PS3 seems to be stuck at 3% on downloading it. The HDD light isn't flashing either. Click circle, nothing happens. Open the disc tray to try and boot it back to the XMB, wait 2 minutes, nothing happens. Unfortunately, I'm forced to turn it off despite it saying "do not turn off the system" on screen.

I turn it off, and as expected, I get the "PS3 did not shut down correctly" process when I next power it on. Thankfully nothing seems to be amiss when it's completed the process, and it updates just fine when I try it again. Can't say I ever remember having a PS3 freeze during an update screen before though.

12 hours ago, SuperSmexy500 said:

As long as it wouldn't cost you too much I'd go for that option to be fair :)
Sorry to hear that you're having so many problems :/ 

I've only owned one PS3 so far, and it's a Super Slim model. Haven't had any issues in the three and a half years I've had it. But like any electronic, some are prone to failure.. If you could exchange it, I would. Had my first 360 die from RROD in less than 2 years, got a replacement from Best Buy, and it worked without issues for many years(8, I think). Still going as far as I know. Haven't hooked it up in over a year. :/ 

Well I had to change my PS3 Super Slim drive a year ago. And it was like a year old.

Since then I deactivated the schedule power on for auto download / upload.

When I had a disc in the console, this made the drive work for nothing, every day, followed with an abrupt power off.

Edited by darkbeuh

Super slim since launch and had a few problems with disc not reading, freezing, sync errors. Honestly I just think it's a cheap arse system, I mean if I'm playing a digital game and have left a disc in, it just keeps trying to read it indefinitely. Sorry I can't help, I want to use my slim though I think it's been hacked by the previous owner so too scared to do that. My phat just gets too hot too quick, If I could find a new slim I'd be happy.

2 hours ago, Z1MZUM said:

Super slim since launch and had a few problems with disc not reading, freezing, sync errors. Honestly I just think it's a cheap arse system, I mean if I'm playing a digital game and have left a disc in, it just keeps trying to read it indefinitely. Sorry I can't help, I want to use my slim though I think it's been hacked by the previous owner so too scared to do that. My phat just gets too hot too quick, If I could find a new slim I'd be happy.

All the same issues I've been having then. That's weird that it keeps trying to read a disc it doesn't even need to read, mine seems to stop spinning it if it's not in use, I've opened the tray before when I've just left the system sitting on the XMB for a while, and the disc inside wasn't spinning. I never had a slim unfortunately, but it does seem like one of the better PS3 models, pity they stop producing them in favour of the super slim.

• 2 weeks later...