Cities: Skylines

DrakeHellsing

It's coming out you guys, up for pre-order right now on the store: https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-nz/games/cities-skylines-playstation4-edition/cid=EP4139-CUSA06407_00-0000000000000005

So yeah, seen people play this, been wanting to mess around with it myself, and on the PS4 would be nice... as my laptop isn't the best for games with high graphics xD

Awesome news! I have this on Steam and it's a great game. You know when something like Sim City falls from grace and you begin to look for alternatives but they almost always disappoint? Cities Skylines did the opposite, it tore the baton from Sim City. It's not perfect, but it is easy enough to get into for beginners while maintaining depth in the long term for more experienced players. The PS4 library seems to get better by the day. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Bartoulum said:

Has anyone tried this on console? If so, how's the gameplay? I could imagine building fancy curves on the roads might be slightly more tricky with a PS4 controller than mouse and keyboard.

I got the game today and I've played it for a few hours now and the controls work suprisingly smoothly. Beforehand I expected it to be somewhat difficult to get it under control but I feel like it works perfectly. The only slight complaint I have about this game so far is that sometimes it feels like the game drops a bit in fps. Other than that, it's a great experience so far :D!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lucas said:

I got the game today and I've played it for a few hours now and the controls work suprisingly smoothly. Beforehand I expected it to be somewhat difficult to get it under control but I feel like it works perfectly. The only slight complaint I have about this game so far is that sometimes it feels like the game drops a bit in fps. Other than that, it's a great experience so far :D!

Thanks for the reply! I played a dozen or so hours on my brother's computer this summer and really enjoyed it. Good to hear that the port is good. I'll definitely be buying it at some point. ^_^

I guess one has to play 'legit' on PS4? On PC my brother had downloaded mods to unlock all buildings and infinite money etc, so I have no experience in trying to make a city grow slowly and organically. It'll be a fun experience.

Btw, I just looked at your profile on Playstation, and while hovering over Cities it said "Trophies are unavailable", so I take it that there isn't a trophy list for the game? Odd, I could swear a saw a list of achievements for the Xbox version of the game.

11 minutes ago, Bartoulum said:

Btw, I just looked at your profile on Playstation, and while hovering over Cities it said "Trophies are unavailable", so I take it that there isn't a trophy list for the game? Odd, I could swear a saw a list of achievements for the Xbox version of the game.

There is a trophy list for the game but it hasn't been uploaded to PSN yet so you can only view it offline when you already played the game. The game hasn't officially released yet (I think it officially releases on August 15th) so the trophy list will probably be uploaded to PSN within a few days :).

9 minutes ago, Bartoulum said:

I guess one has to play 'legit' on PS4? On PC my brother had downloaded mods to unlock all buildings and infinite money etc, so I have no experience in trying to make a city grow slowly and organically. It'll be a fun experience.

If you want to earn trophies, yes. The game gives you the option to enable ''all buildings unlocked'' and ''infinite money'' before you create a city but doing so disables earning trophies in that particular city.

• Like 3

The game isn't out yet. Release is on the 15th of August (EU) - with trophies (including a platinum) according to Paradox. Don't know why the trophy list isn't populated yet.

Edit: Thanks Lucas for the confirmation. ?

Edited by woggly4

Yes, thanks for the trophy confirmation!

23 minutes ago, Lucas said:

If you want to earn trophies, yes. The game gives you the option to enable ''all buildings unlocked'' and ''infinite money'' before you create a city but doing so disables earning trophies in that particular city.

Good to know. That'll allow for a bit of practice. Of course the platinum will be too hard to resist. ^_^

The only problem on the way to platinum in this game is the "1001 Nights" Trophy.
A day night cycle takes around 10 minutes playtime. So you need around 170 hours to get this one.

However the game get's slower with increasing size of the city because more and more stuff needs to be calculated.

So be prepared to spend a lot of time just keeping the game runing.

4 minutes ago, Couga83 said:

The only problem on the way to platinum in this game is the "1001 Nights" Trophy.
A day night cycle takes around 10 minutes playtime. So you need around 170 hours to get this one.

However the game get's slower with increasing size of the city because more and more stuff needs to be calculated.

So be prepared to spend a lot of time just keeping the game runing.

Ouch, saw the trophy but didn't think much about it. Thought it would count an in-game day (which goes by really fast, at least on PC), not a complete day-night cycle. Thanks for the heads up.

1 hour ago, Patrickosan said:

Does it have to be done in one playtrough or it doesn't matter? I mean the 1001 nights trophy. 

I'm not sure yet.

For the PC/Xbox achievement I have found different opinions about it.

Some say it must be in one savegame, others say it counts over multiple savegames.
I can say for sure as soon as I finally unlock this trohpy.

For the 1001 nights trophy, would it be possible to start up a new city and just let the game run for a few days while you're at work/school to let the days pass? Or are there notices/events that stop time and requires player interaction to proceed? Also, is there no option to speed up time so you can fly through days really quickly? Most sim games have speed options.

5 minutes ago, Throw7 said:

For the 1001 nights trophy, would it be possible to start up a new city and just let the game run for a few days while you're at work/school to let the days pass?

This is exactly what I'm doing for several days now.

This game has a speed option, but all my calculations in the post above already took the fastest speed into account.

1 minute ago, Couga83 said:

This is exactly what I'm doing for several days now.

This game has a speed option, but all my calculations in the post above already took the fastest speed into account.

Wow! Thanks for the reply. Well, 170 hours is quite a lot but at least you can just let it sit while you're away doing other things.

On 12/08/2017 at 8:47 PM, Lucas said:

How big was your city when you experienced the fps drop? Getting it tomorrow but I know it's very CPU intensive will be interesting to see how it copes on PS4. 

3 minutes ago, Tomthehitman91 said:

How big was your city when you experienced the fps drop? Getting it tomorrow but I know it's very CPU intensive will be interesting to see how it copes on PS4. 

I only witnessed interuptions when the game is autosaving. It's like the game has a little hiccup.

But it seems to get worse with bigger cities.

In my 150.000 people city the autosave freezes the game for around 2-3 seconds.

5 minutes ago, Tomthehitman91 said:

I already experienced that when I first started playing (so I just had a small city). It's not like it was a big drop but I definitely noticed it dropping a few frames every now and then. It's not really annoying but I noticed it when it happened.