Why this is so hard even on normal difficulty?!!

bh_tornado

Hello

First let me say that this is coming from someone who finished TLOU on grouned, Uncharted on crushing, DAI on nightmare and many other games on the highest difficulty available, I am not a "hardcore" player -and I don't like cruel games- but I am also good at video games.

I wrote this to say that I'm  having a very bad time regarding this game and I am playing on normal difficulty, evrey enemey that doesn't belong to the usual types of robots gets me killed in a few seconds and I have to run away so I can loose him to hit him again from behind and repeat the cycle again.

Now I spent about 30 minutes trying to kill a flamethrowing robot in a closed arena so there's no way to hide, I hit and run/dodge but its flames catch me and burn me to death no matter what, I use potions/traps..etc but its health meter drops very slowly unlike mine!

I know that I can turn the difficulty to easy but I just hate doing this especially in very good games that I enjoy, so I am asking is there something wrong in my playstyle or it's this game's design to have those insane spikes at the beginning and gets easier towards the end?

I also experienced it being tough early on but I realized that keeping your distance and dodging really does make a difference. But also like others have said, getting the upgrades is pretty essential too.

For the enemy you're fighting, I think I know which one you're talking about and if I remember right, using flame arrows helps out a lot with it. Flame arrows work on a lot of the enemies really.

Hitting an enemy's main body with arrows is going to do poor damage throughout the game. Neither XP nor gear is going to fix it. Every enemy has a "lock and key" design where you're supposed to hit it a certain way — shoot a certain canister with a certain element, tear off a certain part, whatever. They can almost all go down fast when you exploit the "keyhole," but they can also stay on their feet a long time if you're trying to tick them to death. Gear and stats will not make it so you don't have to find the key.

Now if you don't want to find the keyhole, or you don't own the key, that's what overrides, tripcasters and ropecasters are for. Just do not try to grind it down with arrows to the "wrong" body parts. They purposely make that a slog.

There's only one boss that is rough even on normal for me and that was fighting the damn trex in the confined dome space. You just need to use the right weapons early on in the game or else itll be hard. But the game is pretty easy.

8 hours ago, bh_tornado said:

so I am asking is there something wrong in my playstyle or it's this game's design to have those insane spikes at the beginning and gets easier towards the end?

It's not that difficult. It's only difficult if you rush through the game without doing side quests and upgrading your character and weapons. Make sure you upgrade how much ammo you can carry. 

8 hours ago, bh_tornado said:

Hello

First let me say that this is coming from someone who finished TLOU on grouned, Uncharted on crushing, DAI on nightmare and many other games on the highest difficulty available, I am not a "hardcore" player -and I don't like cruel games- but I am also good at video games.

HZD is not like TLOU and Uncharted where you don't need upgrades. If you going into killing the robots and you low level you gonna die quick. 

Tlou and uncharted is not hard at all especially tlou! Did it twice on grounded with a day between grounded and grounded + on ps3 and ps4. also straight away on grounded not touching any other difficulties. But to answer to your question: it gets better through out the game, you just need to use focus and dodge alot, you can listen to enemies when they are about to strike and then just dodge :)

I played none of the games you wrote and don't know how hard they are but I am not the best gamer on high difficulties. But HZD is a skill game where upgrades and better weapons are no help at all if you as a player don't learn how to beat the machines. there is no way to get better like grinding exp or finding the best weapon its all your personal skill. I like that and I had no problem with HZD at all, I also played my first run on normal and looking forwards to the highes difficulty for the new trophies. maybe that will be harder...

I can only say: get to know the machines. find their weakpoint, try different waepons, use the elementary weakness and get some aim with the tear arrows. Use the guns you can blow off the bigger machines like the raveger against them and you will win very quickly.

Edited by Ai-ds_low
  • Like 1

Yeah like many others said, Horizon Zero Dawn just isn't one of those games where you find one working setup and then just hack your way through everything coming. Grinding a bit for levels and better gear won't make a big difference either. Strategy has a very high value in Horizon. Learn the weaknesses of all machines. Use traps. Hiding and attacking at the right time, separating the machines so you have a chance in 1 on 1 is what this game is about.

And it's only logical. You're only a single puny human going against highly weaponized metallic monsters. All you use are the parts of said machines against them. If anything, the "difficulty" of this game is only consistent with its story and setting. ;) 

Thanks all for replying, your advices really helped me 

9 hours ago, ShadowStefan said:

Yeah like many others said, Horizon Zero Dawn just isn't one of those games where you find one working setup and then just hack your way through everything coming. Grinding a bit for levels and better gear won't make a big difference either. Strategy has a very high value in Horizon. Learn the weaknesses of all machines. Use traps. Hiding and attacking at the right time, separating the machines so you have a chance in 1 on 1 is what this game is about.

And it's only logical. You're only a single puny human going against highly weaponized metallic monsters. All you use are the parts of said machines against them. If anything, the "difficulty" of this game is only consistent with its story and setting. ;) 

But there is no point in having several difficulties if there are a lot of enemies that kill you in 1 hit or 3 seconds, just few minutes ago I was liberating a corrupted area that is only 2 levels above me, I killed all the robots and flamethrowing one is only left, I took the fire potion to protect myself and when I approached him he swinged his tale and killed me instantly and I had full health!

On ٣٠‏/٧‏/٢٠١٧ at 3:06 AM, DividedByMankind said:

Tlou and uncharted is not hard at all especially tlou! Did it twice on grounded with a day between grounded and grounded + on ps3 and ps4. also straight away on grounded not touching any other difficulties. But to answer to your question: it gets better through out the game, you just need to use focus and dodge alot, you can listen to enemies when they are about to strike and then just dodge :)

They are very well hard for most people and that's the point, there is something wrong if normal difficulty in this game is harder than the hardest difficulties in many other games, especially similar RPGs like TW3 and DAI, difficulties must be scaled so evrey audience enjoys the game.

Probably it will get easier as most of you said but there is definitely something if many enemies can kill you in 1 hit even if you prepared with potions and such.

Edited by bh_tornado
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I stared this game yesterday and did the Story Mode difficulty 

With this mode on machines are PIECE of some old fashion portal CAKE! (gamers joke) 

I toke out a thunderJaw with ease (just shooting arrows and i dodged like 3 times)
A Glinthawk is down with 1 shot of a sharpshoot bow

A Snapmaw 4 to 5 fire arrows... 

It's truly a story mode!

combat is made very very very easy! 

It's seems you get more XP by defeating machines too! 

My tip would be to avoid up close combat, the enemies are hulking chunks of metal, you aren't going to survive if you try to prod them with a stick.  Scan them, use tearblast arrows on the highlighted bits and bring them down in flames!

In corrupted zones you need flames, flames and more flames, throwing a bunch of flame bombs at them soon puts them in a vulnerable state.