• the kinslayer
    • beauty of the beast
    • she is my sin
    • the siren
    • the phantom of the opera
    • storytime
    • dark chest of wonders
    • other

first of all, my knowledge of music is very low and actually had never a favorite band. i actually have even just heard of symphonic metal a few months ago.

my favorite genres of music are symphonic metal and dark orchestral music.

once i knew of symphonic metal i quickly found out i like nightwish the most all symphonic metal bands by far. so i'm listening to them on youtube from time to time.

since i really like this band, i started this thread to discuss opinions and such things with each other.

as for the polls, it's up to you to post, vote or both. i don't vote yet because i wait first till i know more about them to give a more accurate answer.

the 20th answer of the third question is other because there aren't enough slots to put every song in there, so i have used the most famous ones i knew of and googled iit for more information.

have fun :)

Edited by yiazmat50112254

Listened quite a lot to them back when Tarja was still kicking around in the band. Also quite enjoyed Amaranth with Anette on lead, but havn't really kept up to date on them since then.

Sometimes the mood strikes me for power metal/Symphonic (Whatever people call this kind of music these days) and I pop in my copy of Angels Fall First album. Good times ?

Nightwish was a very special band when Tarja was their singer. Unfortunately, Anette wasn't the perfect choice to replace her and even she had good songs like Amaranth or Scaretale or Whoever Brings the Night (Funny fact that this song, or, the instrumental version was a part of Little Big Planet 2 boss fight. xD), you always had that feeling that even those albums with her wren't bad, it lacks of the magic that tarja's voice had. Floor is making a decent work now, but the last album "Endless forms most beautiful" is not so good, I even think that it has been the worse album of the band so far.

Edited by Iris Heart
  • Like 1

I like Tarja for her operatic voice; the other two are too "pop" for my liking.

Say, you like symphonic metal? May I suggest checking out Therion if you don't know them already. 

Edited by ID-69

I consider Nightwish the band that started it all for me. Oceanborn was pretty much the first "real" album that I owned and I remember asking my dad to buy it for me. I think I was 11 or something at the time. About two years later, I remember being heartbroken when Tarja was kicked out of the band and did not want to believe it.

I've never listened to Dark Passion Play and Imaginaerum entirely because I just can't stand Anette's voice. Floor, in my opinion, is fantastic at least based on the live performances I've seen on YouTube but her voice could have been utilized better on the latest album. Anyway, I don't listen to them much these days for some reason but I still like them and I love Oceanborn, Wishmaster and Century Child. However, Once is my absolute favorite.

It is a bit weird that I've been a fan of them for ... almost 15 years now and I have never seen them live. I've seen Tuomas Holopainen and Marco Hietala in restaurants and at the airport a few times but never actually seen them perform. I have to fix that mistake someday.

33 minutes ago, yiazmat50112254 said:

you will probably know better then i do, but i thought that she left voluntarily?

If I remember correct there were alot of shittalk between Tarja and the band, because Tarja (Said by the band) began to make demands of getting a higher payment than the rest of the band, therefore they threw her out... Something like that atleast

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yiazmat50112254 said:

you will probably know better then i do, but i thought that she left voluntarily?

57 minutes ago, Tsukuyomi_Moon89 said:

If I remember correct there were alot of shittalk between Tarja and the band, because Tarja (Said by the band) began to make demands of getting a higher payment than the rest of the band, therefore they threw her out... Something like that atleast

Yeah, you remember correctly. According to Tuomas she had also said things like: "I can leave the band whenever I want, even on one day's notice." and "I don't need Nightwish anymore." before she was dismissed (whether that is true or not, we don't know for sure). But nevertheless, the band decided it was better to move on without her, so they fired her with an open letter after the show in Helsinki in 2005. Tarja was crying constantly during the press conference so it was definitely a shock to her. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

was watching a few old threads of mine and realised i haven't answered my own poll yet.

since more then a year has passed, i think i can answer my own poll :).

the first one was quite obvious to me as it's still my favorite music by far.

the second question i still a tough one, i actually like all three of them a lot, the only thing i am sure of is that tuomas is a great songwriter, as i clearly hear almost each song is amazingly fitting for the singer who it's made for. meaning they are all clearly the best when it comes to their own songs. but since i still wanted to pick one, i chose floor. even though they are all great imo, i think i like her just slightly more.

the third one however was the hardest. even so hard i am still completely unaware what my favorite song is (which is odd, as i usually pick favorites with many things). i have found as well that at the time i made teh poll, i apparently haven't added even a single song of the third generation, and since i picked floor in the 2nd question of the poll, i can only assume the highest probability lies in a song of the third generation, so i have picked the other option.

Edited by yiazmat50112254