Norestart challenge

YemmytheFerret

As for me, after all other challenges including both speedruns i think i could've beaten those levels blindfolded. Barehands was the hardest one for me. For each level i had super safe strats, which one bothers you the most? As general tip for most levels i can suggest simple tactic: throw something to enemy-take that enemy's weapon-shoot him-throw that weapon to next dude-get his weapon-throw it to next dude. You get the idea. With that method you dont have to wait for guns to reload and you always have next enemy stunned. The less bullets you have to dodge the safer the way. You must remember each enemy's movement and spawn at this point. 

• 5 years later...

I tried yesterday after finish the impossible run, I died on the 20/25 level "office" just at the start, but seems a fair challenge, I'll keep trying!

Edit: I got it second try, not hard at all, my only advice is try it just after the impossible run (norestart unlocks when finishing impossible) so you get the pace to play carefully, now I'm working towards speedrunrt, and feels a different game totally.

Edited by Steven-Spiegel
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 15.10.2022 at 4:29 PM, Steven-Spiegel said:

I tried yesterday after finish the impossible run, I died on the 20/25 level "office" just at the start, but seems a fair challenge, I'll keep trying!

Edit: I got it second try, not hard at all, my only advice is try it just after the impossible run (norestart unlocks when finishing impossible) so you get the pace to play carefully, now I'm working towards speedrunrt, and feels a different game totally.

I had many more attempts due to my stupid mistakes, but I agree that Office is the hardest level in this challenge.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I found norestart really difficult to complete, it was the hardest challenge for me. It took me a good 25 attempts. I suppose I was rushing. My best tip would be don't rush?.

I finally completed it by constantly looking around me on the spot without moving as you can spin on the spot without time moving forward which is something I kept forgetting.

Edited by Starship_Pooper

• 1 month later...

Much as people worry about this challenge, I actually finished it on my very first attempt. Suppose beating the levels over a dozen times each during previous challenges and modes prepared me rather well, although I did have several close calls. Instead, it was SPEEDRUNrt which I experienced the most trouble with, since it largely forces you to approach the game like a standard shooter, and adjusting to that speed is tough after 15 hours of slow motion play. Here's how my NORESTART run went, by the way:

This video employs the safest methods I could devise, which is why it's over 30 minutes. In truth, I played things almost too carefully; nothing flashy here, but it worked out well. Camping in corners, where you can melee enemies through a wall if necessary, is a highly effective strategy for many maps. Throwing objects and guns is also overpowered, so I utilized that frequently. Don't forget about Hotswitch and slow motion jumping to dodge bullets when you're in a jam, either. Most importantly, do not rush yourself whatsoever—there's no need, since time completely stops when you're not moving. Carefully consider your every action, and where the next red dudes will be spawning. I practiced the last 5 stages in advance, and had a plan for them, because it would've been awful to fail right near the end.

Hope this helps somebody! Superhot is a fabulous game with a fairly reasonable platinum (20 hours, around 5.5/10 difficulty, in my opinion), and I'd encourage anyone to give it a try.

Edited by StraightVege
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 2023-05-03 at 4:10 PM, StraightVege said:

Much as people worry about this challenge, I actually finished it on my very first attempt. Suppose beating the levels over a dozen times each during previous challenges and modes prepared me rather well, although I did have several close calls. Instead, it was SPEEDRUNrt which I experienced the most trouble with, since it largely forces you to approach the game like a standard shooter, and adjusting to that speed is tough after 15 hours of slow motion play.

I had the exact same experience. I was kind of dreading NoRestart after reading of all these people struggling with it, but I found it to be incredibly easy and banged it out 1st try no problem. If you save it for last you’ll have tons of experience from running each level a dozen+ times under many different circumstances, and the fact that time is completely frozen when standing still is a godsend. Just like you, the only challenge I struggled with at all was SPEEDRUNrt. It forces you to play like a normal FPS which the game isn’t built for, and the adjusting to live speed is brutal after spending hours playing in slow motion.

As for NoRestart, the best tips for making this challenge a piece of cake:

1) Don’t rush. There’s no need.

2) Use the paused timer to your advantage. Look around, plan your kills, and stop every so often to do a 360 degree check of the environment, especially if you’ve lost track of an enemy somewhere.

3) If you’re about to get hit by a bullet, even if it’s inches away, you can usually cheese it by stopping, rotating 90 degrees, then stepping backwards out of its path. You’ll dodge it 99% of the time.

4) Use walls and corners to your advantage - you can punch enemies before they have a line of sight on you, and can often punch through the wall at certain angles.

5) Most importantly - JUMP, JUMP, JUMP!! If you hold L2 in the air after your jump you will fall in slow motion, and this is undoubtedly the most useful trick in the entire game. For some reason, jumping really messes up the enemies lock on and tracking, so you can exploit the heck out of this to easily dodge their bullets at medium and close range — even from the assault rifles.

6) Also HOTSWITCH! Unfortunately you don’t get this until late, but it’s an incredibly useful ability to close the distance on enemies or get yourself out of sticky near death situations. 

Edited by dieselmanchild

First of all, no offence to anyone but this challenge is way easier than SPEEDRUN and SPEEDRUNrt, there's no need to rush so take your time, @dieselmanchildeexplained it all in detais and as he also said "Save it for last, you'll have tons of experience. And that's how I passed the challenge first try, without any guides or tips and tricks. Tbh the hardest trophy for me was STAND REDy aka SPEEDRUN and after that SPEEDRUNrt was almost like a joke to me. Good luck!

12 hours ago, Carlo_the_King45 said:

Tbh the hardest trophy for me was STAND REDy aka SPEEDRUN and after that SPEEDRUNrt was almost like a joke to me. Good luck!

That’s interesting, for me it was the exact opposite. I had no trouble at all with the regular speed run as the timer is paused when you aren’t moving. SPEEDRUNrt threw me for a loop though as the constant movement actually made things feel pretty tense while rushing to make the red times. After so many easy (and even tedious) challenges I guess it was fair to have one that actually pushed me a bit. 😛