Is This Game Completely Overrated?

I think alot of this happens often when you first watch, or read or play something years later that arrived with so much buzz and hype. Excpectations go wild and rarely live up to it when you go back for it. I remeber playing it and platting it within days of launch and then recently going back to play dlc. It was alot stiffer than I remembered, but still fun to play. It is assassins creed with arkham combat in a Tolkien-playground, and that is why I liked it so much, wich as with any other thing I really like, I forgive most of the flaws.

• Like 2

I played this game a few years ago myself and didn't particularly enjoy it. The second point you made about the environment was my main gripe as I found I had many cheap deaths because of this. I also found the rubbish story a bit of a turn off and that last boss was particularly unmemorable. I won't be buying the sequel later this year.

• Like 1

The game is a mediocre entry for both the Tolkien universe and amongst other titles with the popular combat system by publisher Warner Bros Interactive Entertainment; I found the combat disinteresting compared to the Batman games, and the small world was disinteresting compared to both Batman and Mad Max.

I will wait for reviews of the sequel instead of preordering...

Edit: furthermore, I agree with the above points regarding the repetitive missions and INCREDIBLY MELODRAMATIC nemesis introductions that constantly rip you from the flow of combat. The game did, however, never cease to run smoothly.

All in all, I found the entire experience forgettable (mediocre, as put by OP), especially as I am interested in many games of similar ilk... An easy platinum to toss aside...

Edited by GonzoWARgasm
Adding to my comment
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, KingGuy420 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't a game have to be highly rated to be over rated? It had average sales and average review scores.

Of course it has it's fans, every game does, but it was pretty far from critically acclaimed.

If it's rated 6/10 by critics but is in reality more of a 4/10 then it's overrated.

Personally I thought it was alright.. one of the collectible trophies glitched on me though and it's nowhere near enjoyable enough to replay.

I've enjoyed what I played of it. It's cathartic which is nice and while the combat if very much Batman Arkham combat, I hated that game. The camera was right up Batmans arse so much so that he practically filled the left side of the screen. The main character in this game is actually central and the camera is pulled back which means I can play it without being infuriated by arse-o-vision.

It's probably not worthy of the embarrassingly high scores critics where giving it, but it's certainly a good game and what it attempts to do with dynamic combat is done particularly well. There's innovation and polish there worthy of notice.

Thanks guys, some interesting points put forward. Just as an FYI, i have now platted it, and while it was a relief to hear that famous "bling" sound, I do still feel a little underwhelmed. Also, the reviews were pretty strong for it. I know this is obviously going to be a bit controversial as this is IGN and sometimes they can be a little soft, but they did give it a 9.3 out of 10. This is why i was wondering if peoples' opinion is that it is overrated. Even MetaCritic has it at an 84! I guess it may just boil down to personal preference.

Even so, now that i am done - Time to get that 100% satisfaction! bring on the grind. If any of you would like to add me, please do, would be good to have some people to help or be helped on Multiplayer stuff. 

Thanks again for commenting on the discussion - first time ever using the forums.

Edited by NefariousDreamer
missed out a sentence
  • Like 1

Hi everyone,

I didn't have most of the above mentioned issues. I had problems understanding why after defeating a captain, he would return over and over again, which got me thinking I did something wrong. Also, after branding Uruks, they would often not fight, but stupidly stand around doing nothing, no matter whether I pressed the up button on dpad or not. I agree on the repetetivness of some side missions. Funny enough, this whole game I felt it was "only mediocre", nevertheless I kept playing it because the boss system os so dynamic. I would describe it as a really good game that feels mediocre.

• 4 weeks later...

I feel the same way. I got the platinum on this game and decided to get it on the game of the year edition as well, because I remember it being really enjoyable. But I'm about 4 hours in and not really liking any part of it. Kinda of sucks, this play through has really ruined my memories of this game. But then again the only WB game I really enjoyed the second time through was Mad Max. I'm still going to finish it, maybe once I get my skills higher it will be more enjoyable.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Totally overrated.

Poor controls of character, I can leap up an invisible tower yet get stuck on a broken fence??, no story, continuous interruption of gameplay for whatever reason they choose. The most annoying thing to me is getting randomly interrupted by captains when doing missions. This game has several examples of bad game design.

Im adding this game to my "games I did not enjoy list".  Only 3 other games there right now.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I'm 8 hours in (around 30%) and I already find it way too repetitive. Enemies re-spawn way to fast that you just end up killing the same enemy over and over again. Story and characters are uninteresting, can't even talk about locations as every location looks the same. Don't think I'll be able to finish it.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I think so yes. Mainly due to areas looking all too similar. The learning curve was great imo, the upgrade system felt like it really worked/helped. Fast travel is always welcome in rpg's. I really liked talion and celebrimbor and the relationship that developed. However i found the boss fight disappointing after going through the game. 

Took me 44h to platinum and now i'm working through the DLC and enjoying that. For the price i got it (£12) i feel its well worth it but, felt a little empty

8/10 for me

shakie19.png

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Just started playing. So far the most annoying thing is that the character walks by default and I have to hold X to run which makes it impossible to run and control camera at the same time. Why they couldn't just make run default or if they wanted to copy Assassin's Creed so badly make one of the L/R buttons the run button.

• 10 months later...

I’m nearly done with the base game and have to agree that this game is horrendously overrated. I’ve heard mostly glowing praise for this game in the past and knew it won GOTY, but playing this now I just can’t understand how or why! The story and characters are incredibly dull, the open world boring and repetitive, the camera angle sucks, and the combat/nemesis system is insanely frustrating!

It feels like every small task in this game (ex. branding a captain), turns into this crazy long, drawn out battle with 5 different captains showing up and a literal endless stream of orcs showing up from out of nowhere. Everything takes so damn long to do and until the end of the game, your character is so weak that it makes the combat even more of a slog than it needs to be.

I’m sorry to make a useless venting post like this, but I’m legitimately shocked at how I feel about this game lol. In the 150+ games I’ve played thus far, this is the first game that I’ve pretty much hated from start to finish. I can’t for the life of me see how this game is so beloved.

• Like 1

I think the praise was likely a bit overblown, yeah. The Nemesis system and screwing around with the orc chain of command is the main appeal, everything else is just a Batsassin: Arkham's Creed style game but with orcs instead of prisoners/templars. I wouldn't call it actively bad, but it's definitely a product of what was popular in AAA gaming in 2014.

• 2 months later...

Agreement with the pros/cons. The cons will outweigh this round, yet I will forever absorb anything Tolkien related, and this was worth the hassle. However, I believe after I platinum it there won't be a second run. Love the story, but some of these trophies and parts of the combat/ledge grabbing/cut rope for outcasts monstrosities have struck a very low heat in the hearth of my spirit.

It’s incredibly mediocre. I tried to like it, really did, but it’s too western in its tone and gameplay for my tastes. I will concede that it was perhaps hamstrung by its source material somewhat (much like Mad Max, another terribly overrated game I have similar feelings (of boredom) towards).

its central gimmick came across as just that. Pointless. I don’t care about vengeful enemies when they have little unique character.

• Like 1