Should I be worried?

Stargazer2600

So me and a friend were playing on my PS4 the other day. And he mentioned how loud my PS4 sounds. He said that his PS4 never gets that loud and that it should almost be completely silent. 

He mentioned to me that allowed PS4 is a sign that it's about to go out. My PS4 isn't always loud though, it has its moments but it's about a 50/50.

Just wondering if he is right or what. To be honest I never gave much thought to it.

My PS4 is laid down and has plenty of room to breath with no obstruction.

My friend's PS4 was getting pretty loud, but he just opened it up and cleaned out the dust and now it sounds a lot better. Hopefully that's the reason why yours is loud, too. Just takes a few minutes to fix, assuming you already have the correct bit for the screws.

Mine's loud sometimes too, but not all the time. I'm sure it's fine. If it was super loud all the time, you may have a problem, but having it be loud occasionally isn't a big deal. Generally means it's loading something intense. 

9 minutes ago, ExHaseo said:

Mine's loud sometimes too, but not all the time. I'm sure it's fine. If it was super loud all the time, you may have a problem, but having it be loud occasionally isn't a big deal. Generally means it's loading something intense. 

Since it was brought to my attention, I really only notice that it's loud when downloading things. Or when I'm playing a game and a lot of things are happening at the exact same time.

But if I'm just playing something small like until dawn for example, it's not really loud enough for me to notice.

11 minutes ago, Einigkeit said:

My friend's PS4 was getting pretty loud, but he just opened it up and cleaned out the dust and now it sounds a lot better. Hopefully that's the reason why yours is loud, too. Just takes a few minutes to fix, assuming you already have the correct bit for the screws.

I don't trust myself enough to open up my system for anything lol. My luck I'd kill my system accidentally doing something wrong lol

Just now, Stargazer2600 said:

Since it was brought to my attention, I really only notice that it's loud when downloading things. Or when I'm playing a game and a lot of things are happening at the exact same time.

But if I'm just playing something small like until dawn for example, it's not really loud enough for me to notice.

Sounds pretty normal to me. Mine is the exact same way. I wouldn't worry about it.

2 minutes ago, Stargazer2600 said:

I don't trust myself enough to open up my system for anything lol. My luck I'd kill my system accidentally doing something wrong lol

Haha, fair enough. I'm comfortable opening up computers and the like, but a lot of people aren't, so you're not alone there. I suppose you could do it without opening it up, but you'd probably just end up moving the dust around instead of doing any actual cleaning.

8 minutes ago, Einigkeit said:

Haha, fair enough. I'm comfortable opening up computers and the like, but a lot of people aren't, so you're not alone there. I suppose you could do it without opening it up, but you'd probably just end up moving the dust around instead of doing any actual cleaning.

Advice?

Cause I really can't afford another ps4 lol

My guess is that you're fine.  My old PS4 was absurdly loud from day one, but played games fine and lasted years.  I was in the same boat, a lot of the time it was fine but certain games would make it blow a hole in the wall.  Way more than my brother's PS4 playing the same games.  While the old PS4 is still working, I picked up a Slim to replace it because I was fed up with the noise.

My Slim seems better in that regard, though I haven't really gotten much time in on it yet.  I think the wild fans are just common in older model PS4's.  Not necessarily a sign of it dying, probably not of overheating either.  Maybe just a wonky sensor is throwing things off.  Luck of the draw.  Better to have too much fan noise than not enough I suppose.

Edited by Dreakon13

It being loud is fine. Mine would do that often and nothing happened. It would normally do it during graphics heavy games. As someone else said on another PlayStation forum, worry if you don't hear the fan at all.

Judging from r/PS4, which at times turns into a loud-fan troubleshooting team slash cry room, some people got the jet engine fan; some people got the quiet fan.

Some of the more tech-savvy members think the real problem is that the PS4 emits too much heat through the bottom, where it can't dissipate easily and creates an "oven" effect that taxes the fan. A lot of people have gotten the jet engine to settle down by taking Legos or similar and putting them under the feet to make more airspace under there.

• Like 1

When I had my launch model it always got crazy loud especially with a high demanding disc based games. When I upgraded to the Pro at times you can hear the fans but its not as loud as the launch model was. The loudness of the fans can also be due to your setup if you have the PS4 inside a closed area like this then your console will heat up more often because the heat it is producing has no where to go and will be louder due to the fans working to cool it down. From my experience stands that are open like this help the console stay cooler because the heat the console disperses has many ways to go.

Mine can get pretty loud, especially when I've been playing a game for a few fours, and especially so during the summer months and the room temperature is just a lot hotter than normal. I've had my current PS4 since launch day back in 2013, and I've never had issues with overheating or what have you.

My boyfriend's PS4 does the same thing, and his is also a launch model.

I'd just recommend dusting it every so often, particularly around the vents. If you don't want to open up the console to clean the insides, you don't have to, I've personally never opened up my consoles to dust out the insides, and I've got consoles that are 10-15 years old that are still kicking, even when they're very clearly visibly dirty and dusty just on the outside. I did open up my original PS2 once to replace the controller port ribbon because that had stopped working, and I don't remember seeing much of any dust inside the console, and it was about 9 years old at the time, and it was definitely one of my more abused and less well kept after consoles, one of my cats even pissed on it once, but it survived.

You mainly want to check around the "slits"/middle section on the sides of the PS4, where there are air vents that tend to be dust magnets. I checked mine fairly recently, and they were literally caked in dust. Cleaned it out with a microfiber cloth, and it's been running a lot quieter and a lot cooler since then, haven't heard the fan ramp up again since giving it a clean.

I'd also recommend checking and cleaning around the back too where the cables go, there's more vents there.

Edited by SuperSmexy500

22 hours ago, Stargazer2600 said:

So me and a friend were playing on my PS4 the other day. And he mentioned how loud my PS4 sounds. He said that his PS4 never gets that loud and that it should almost be completely silent. 

He mentioned to me that allowed PS4 is a sign that it's about to go out. My PS4 isn't always loud though, it has its moments but it's about a 50/50.

Just wondering if he is right or what. To be honest I never gave much thought to it.

My PS4 is laid down and has plenty of room to breath with no obstruction.

Mine had got really loud also. So loud I could hear it over the game. It didn't batter what type of game it was either. It could be a little indy game or a full on action game. I watched a video on how to clean it out and it was still loud. So I ended up buying a Pro because I feared it was about to go.

What version of PS4 do you have? Is it a launch day console, or one of the first generation consoles.

And, do you notice a difference in the sound vs 1 or 2 yrs ago?

I have a launch console, and it has always been loud when running a disc based game. Typically it is fairly quite once everything is loaded.

Long and short, if this is an older model console, and there has been no change in sound, I wouldn't worry. Regardless, I don't think there is anything you can do to preserve it if it is wearing out, so no point in worrying.

1 hour ago, diskdocx said:

What version of PS4 do you have? Is it a launch day console, or one of the first generation consoles.

And, do you notice a difference in the sound vs 1 or 2 yrs ago?

I have a launch console, and it has always been loud when running a disc based game. Typically it is fairly quite once everything is loaded.

Long and short, if this is an older model console, and there has been no change in sound, I wouldn't worry. Regardless, I don't think there is anything you can do to preserve it if it is wearing out, so no point in worrying.

Idk what gen mine is. I got it from a rent a center and it was used before I got it.

You don't have to open the thing up completely, you can just pop the top cover off which allows access to some of the vents. I do it all the time since the disc loader on my PS4 is dead and it's the only way I can load/remove discs from the PS4. Sony made it like that because they planned to sell different "faceplates" which pretty much disappeared after their initial launch.

Definitely sounds like a dust issue, since my PC is the same. Gets loud, clean it out, goes quiet again.

The fan gets loud typically because it spins faster to keep things cool inside. Take a can of air and blow the vents out. It may or may not help. It also depends on the games you are playing. Some games stress the system more and cause the components to heat up more then others...Honestly I personally wouldn't worry to much about it. 

Edited by homleshobo

I got the short stick with mine. I was the first person in my circle of friends with a PS4, and it got very loud with "heavier games" like Project Cars (my first game), The Order 1886 and others with good graphics or intense processing needs, while with lighter ones It was very quiet. After 19 months, it started to not turn on at the first try, and soon after, it died completely. The maintenance guy told me that with the constant overheating from playing and the subsequent cooling made the "logic board*" crack. And no, I don't have a warranty. I think my mistake was that I put mine in a wooden furniture, besides the fact that I live in a oven.

(*I think it's the motherboard, logic board makes sense in my language)