Tips for a first timer

AffectatiousDonk

In my opinion, Freestyle mode - 4B is still the best place to practice. Arcade 4B is okay too unless you are okay with only playing 3 songs in a row and then going back to the menu again. 

The difficulty of the missions progress quite quickly so practice really counts!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Here I am 4 Button songs starting poor but then slowly got the hang of it, Still avoided the harder songs but was slowly getting there. Let's give the missions a go.. first few were easy then oh look a 5 button mission.. let's skip that for now 2 missions later oh another 5 button mission and that is all I can unlock.. ok ok let's give this 5 button thing a go.. 1-4 star songs I can just do.. anything higher and I don't even get close ok lets keep at it, 3 hours later... still not getting any better... turns game off before I get to angry.

On 8/20/2017 at 1:25 AM, fisty123 said:

Here I am 4 Button songs starting poor but then slowly got the hang of it, Still avoided the harder songs but was slowly getting there. Let's give the missions a go.. first few were easy then oh look a 5 button mission.. let's skip that for now 2 missions later oh another 5 button mission and that is all I can unlock.. ok ok let's give this 5 button thing a go.. 1-4 star songs I can just do.. anything higher and I don't even get close ok lets keep at it, 3 hours later... still not getting any better... turns game off before I get to angry.

Good to see you here, fisty123.

I've been playing DJMax games since the PC version released way back in 2004. Even after all of those years of practice, these games can still be a bit daunting at the high end.

I'd recommend starting with 4B on either Freeplay or at least chip away at Arcade mode. Unfortunately, there is no gameplay altering equipment such as Tech or Auto that helps with accuracy and saving you from a Break like the previous games.

Sometimes, 5B can be more difficult than 6B. On default controls, this is mostly due to the middle lane on 5B using either the Right DPAD or Square - If you're holding Square for a middle lane hold note for example, and a note comes down on the Circle lane at the same time, you wouldn't be able to hit it (unless you're a master at the claw grip). Generally, if you're comfortable with 6B, you can play 8B without too much hassle.

As for missions, DJMax has a history of throwing in gimmicks, such as W-Chaos speed which speeds up and slows down the lanes at somewhat random times. I haven't had much time to play, but if it's anything like DJMax Trilogy, there will be some very difficult missions - some missions included notes that spun around as they came down.

So, take your time and chip away at practicing before jumping into Missions too heavily, they ramp up in difficulty quite quickly. It could take some time before hitting up those Hard level 6B/8B songs, especially with all the mission gimmicks thrown on top.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm also a newbie to this game and struggling quite a bit. I'm decent at Project Diva and Superbeat Xonic (can beat all the songs on hard or 6TRAX) but this game is really tough to get the hang of. I wouldn't bother with arcade 4 buttons as the 3rd song is either 5 or 6 stars which is a huge jump in difficulty. It's doable but stressful and will take multiple tries to clear for newcomers. I've been sticking to freestyle 4 buttons and playing songs at 4 stars or below. My skill is improving albeit slowly. This is definitely the hardest rhythm game I've tried to get into and one of the reasons I never could get into DJMax Fever on PSP. Hopefully it clicks eventually like Superbeat Xonic did.

• 5 months later...
On 8/19/2018 at 3:03 AM, BHK3 said:

I really wish 5B was actually 5B, but its 6B. They add a middle lane that has a left and right button press so that's 6 buttons...I would have a much easier time using the shoulder buttons + X for 5 buttons like I did in my guitar hero days :/

You can actually set that up in options by switching to custom layout. You do not want to though. The 5B charts like to take advantage of that shared middle lane and you will have a bad time with the GH layout.