Playstation Vita "Near" no longer supported

Gwendly

I thought Near got terminated a long time ago... I guess I was wrong? It doesn't really matter to me as I never used it anyway. As for if there are unobtainable trophies now, I'm positive some games relied on that feature for certain trophies, but I can't think of any examples.

On 8/2/2017 at 8:50 AM, Undead Wolf said:

I thought Near got terminated a long time ago... I guess I was wrong? It doesn't really matter to me as I never used it anyway. As for if there are unobtainable trophies now, I'm positive some games relied on that feature for certain trophies, but I can't think of any examples.

I also thought this happened a while ago, at least a year or two. But I remember the consensus being that no trophies would be affected...

Different situation, different outcome. :(

On 8/2/2017 at 8:52 AM, Shadiochao said:

I thought they did this ages ago. Isn't that the reason Smart As can't be platinumed anymore?

No, I think that was a straight server shutdown.

Edited by RNumbers

Near doesn't have any trophies if yoi're talking about the built-in app on Vita system to track down nearby Vita players within a certain radius .

And apparently the service is no longer available as i tried right now,  that's too bad cause i use to mess with it quite regularly to see what folks were nearby and what they were playing too .

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, kuuhaku said:

I think this might mean the actual app will be removed maybe? Has anyone tried using it since Monday?

I tried using it just now so the app hasn't been removed. It didn't work for me, though. It said something about parental controls preventing my location being used. I can't be bothered to mess with it. :P

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Undead Wolf said:

I tried using it just now so the app hasn't been removed. It didn't work for me, though. It said something about parental controls preventing my location being used. I can't be bothered to mess with it. :P

I just tried it myself and was greeted with this

rPx5ZXz.png

• Like 1

Near was reduced to limited use prior to this; it still had some core functionality. I had friends who asked for help with sharing HVTS(High Value Targets[bosses]) for "Unit 13" as recently as last month and it still worked. Guess that is no longer the case.

13 hours ago, Undead Wolf said:

13 hours ago, Shadiochao said:

I thought they did this ages ago. Isn't that the reason Smart As can't be platinumed anymore?

They only turned off the location services (which was essentially killing off Near, but let's ignore that) but the app was still 'usable' =D

Just now, Star Butterfly said:

Well this is just a straight up lie.

What I Mean Is Aside From The Main Topic The Device Is Just Port For PS4 And PS3 Games That Is My Opinion I Like The Vita But This Is The Sad Truth There Are Not To Much Great Games On It

Just now, Star Butterfly said:

What constitutes a great game? A big budget? Being a retail game? The Vita has hundreds of amazing and unique games. It is not just a "port" machine for PS3 and PS4 games. Games like Murasaki Baby, Freedom Wars, Dynasty Warriors Next, Little Deviants, Killzone Mercenary, Gravity Rush and others like Ragnarok Odyssey all encompass various aspects of what the PS Vita a wonderful platform for gaming. 

To say that it has a shortage of great games is to do it a huge disservice. Not only is it objectively untrue, but it's just plain ignorant and nonsense. 

Check All Vita Game And You Will See That Most Of Them Is Port And Visual Novels Compared To Other Hand Held Device He Short Of Fuel Its Not Like I Don't Like The Vita But This Is The Fact That The Vita Game Library Is Weak

4 minutes ago, dark69knight said:

Check All Vita Game And You Will See That Most Of Them Is Port And Visual Novels Compared To Other Hand Held Device He Short Of Fuel Its Not Like I Don't Like The Vita But This Is The Fact That The Vita Game Library Is Weak

I already made my argument and I stand by it. Someone else can pick this up. I'm not dealing with this awful grammar and sentence structure.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, kuuhaku said:

I just tried it myself and was greeted with this

rPx5ZXz.png

Exactly what appear to me when i tried searching for other players . Too bad the service is out now . And i can't even remove the app symbol from the main menu of Vita , that sucks .

Edited by Sigma999

I wonder if they will remove Near with the next firmware-update (if there's any) then. :hmm:

As some games have used near for exchanging items and so I wonder if there's any game where the plat is now unobtainable?

One that might come to my mind is Angry Birds for Vita. The Free as a Bird-trophy required you to use near to send the birds to other players.