Playstation Vita "Near" no longer supported

Gwendly

9 hours ago, Satoshi Ookami said:

They only turned off the location services (which was essentially killing off Near, but let's ignore that) but the app was still 'usable' =D

Ah, I see. Well, now that it's completely useless, they might as well just remove the app altogether. I guess that's more effort than Sony is willing to give to Vita, though. <_<

Oh well... at least this doesn't stop Super Stardust Delta from unlocking the extra soundtracks, which apparently required Near. It is gone for me, too, and i never really played that game until now, but it's still unlocking a new track, a notifying me about the Near gift, every time i start the game.

Does anyone have a complete list of Vita games which used Near to unlock exclusive content? I heard something about UMvC3 and SFxT, but that's it...

EDIT: the tracks stopped unlocking after finishing the Orchestral soundtrack. And apparently, Retro is only unlocked through gifting. MEH!

Edited by T87

20 minutes ago, Property_Damage said:

Games I know effected by this are..

Smart As...

Unit 13

But I've plat those long ago

Smart As was already unachievable due to server closure. Unit 13 is affected, but not to the point where anything is unachievable. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Games that are now unachievable seem to be:

A-men

Angry Birds Trilogy

Street Fighter X Tekken?

Travel Bug?

EDIT: Ars on playstationtrophies.org has stated SFxT may be safe.

Edited by RNumbers

Ah, so this is why everytime i try to update my Near it said service not working etc. Thought it was the stupid psn maintenance that been going on forever. Oh well. It was sorta nice seeing who played what around me.

5 hours ago, RNumbers said:

Smart As was already unachievable due to server closure. Unit 13 is affected, but not to the point where anything is unachievable. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Games that are now unachievable seem to be:

A-men

Angry Birds Trilogy

Street Fighter X Tekken?

Travel Bug?

EDIT: Ars on playstationtrophies.org has stated SFxT may be safe.

Sure, as for unit 13, everything is still obtainable, if you have the patience, as for me, I had a friend gift me the last 2 HVTs ;)

Edited by Property_Damage

We went through the list on PST Unachievables as @RNumbers stated. What we know currently, titles that supposedly are out of the picture are:

A-Men

Angry Birds Trilogy

Travel Bug

I'm not expecting too many more to be affected by this. Smart As is already shut down almost two years ago. SFxT was functioning normally because it doesn't require a server upload, just Near app to exist. If they remove the app with a FW update things might be different.

Ragnarok Odyssey, Uncharted: Golden Abyss and Unit 13 support Near Gifts, but missing the gifts has such a marginal effect on game progress no one should care. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ars said:

We went through the list on PST Unachievables as @RNumbers stated. What we know currently, titles that supposedly are out of the picture are:

A-Men

Angry Birds Trilogy

Travel Bug

I'm not expecting too many more to be affected by this. Smart As is already shut down almost two years ago. SFxT was functioning normally because it doesn't require a server upload, just Near app to exist. If they remove the app with a FW update things might be different.

Ragnarok Odyssey, Uncharted: Golden Abyss and Unit 13 support Near Gifts, but missing the gifts has such a marginal effect on game progress no one should care. 

Well, i think the Fetishes in Uncharted Golden Abyss cannot be obtained anymore... probably same as the Retro soundtrack for Super Stardust Delta :/

NEAR was a cool little feature I know you could gift stuff in it, like in game items. Hopefully Sony isn't discounting service for the Vita anytime soon there are so many good games on there and a lot coming out this year and early 2018 I still love my Vita and recommend it to anyone in the market for a handheld.

10 hours ago, audiopile said:

Will they be removing the app/icon/data from the Vita in a future update or will it be more like an ugly scar on my face?

They most likely will leave it on I'm assuming that it's built into the system I would just put it into a folder and call it failed dreams 

Edited by PowerCoard

25 minutes ago, PowerCoard said:

Hopefully Sony isn't discounting service for the Vita anytime soon

Nah, it'll never ever happen as long as PSN exists. If they disable it, we'll be forced to pirate our own games and hack our own Vitas to play them.

Edited by T87
  • Like 1

On 3/8/2017 at 10:18 AM, T87 said:

Oh well... at least this doesn't stop Super Stardust Delta from unlocking the extra soundtracks, which apparently required Near. It is gone for me, too, and i never really played that game until now, but it's still unlocking a new track, a notifying me about the Near gift, every time i start the game.

Does anyone have a complete list of Vita games which used Near to unlock exclusive content? I heard something about UMvC3 and SFxT, but that's it...

EDIT: the tracks stopped unlocking after finishing the Orchestral soundtrack. And apparently, Retro is only unlocked through gifting. MEH!

I used Near at least once a week to look for Gold Skins to unlock on UMvC3, and sadly I didn't manage to get all of those, just missing about 11 or so, and now I'll never be able to complete the collection.

At least this doesn't affect the trophies of the game, since the Herald Skins are just an aesthetic touch to make your characters look different.

13 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

Just tried on the game, you can't send out cards anymore, since it requires you to update your location services. 

Damn it :/ I was planning that to be one of my Weeblympics games...

Which trophy is it btw? So i can periodically check it whether it's being obtained or not.

1 hour ago, SnowxSakura said:

Just tried on the game, you can't send out cards anymore, since it requires you to update your location services. 

Are you sure? All Vita and PS4 games are sandboxed and don't know (or care) about what the other app does, just the feedback loop. Did your Near not let you return to the game after timing out on location services?