Game Owners on this site low vs. sales statistics

Hey all. I have a question that has been bugging me. Why are the amount of game owners on this site so low versus actual sales statistics. I've looked at many games, but I'll just stick with Bloodborne because it was the one that first made me wonder. It's August 2017 and psnprofiles only has 321k game owners. However, credible sources put sales figures much higher. Forbes, for example, reports one million copies sold in the first month of release. Many sites report over two million copies sold in the first 6 months. These sales figures are just for the North America Region and psnprofiles supposedly has all the world on it. Along with things such as trading, selling, buying pre-owned. I would expect a much much larger amount of game owners on psnprofiles. I mean hell, some Bloodborne how to beat XXXXX boss youtube videos have over a million of views. I can understand some people have private accounts, don't play online, etc. etc. However, it would seem that crazy to me to think that 90%+ of the player base is doing this. Can someone explain? 

Just now, Toogie53 said:

Hey all. I have a question that has been bugging me. Why are the amount of game owners on this site so low versus actual sales statistics. I've looked at many games, but I'll just stick with Bloodborne because it was the one that first made me wonder. It's August 2017 and psnprofiles only has 321k game owners. However, credible sources put sales figures much higher. Forbes, for example, reports one million copies sold in the first month of release. Many sites report over two million copies sold in the first 6 months. These sales figures are just for the North America Region and psnprofiles supposedly has all the world on it. Along with things such as trading, selling, buying pre-owned. I would expect a much much larger amount of game owners on psnprofiles. I mean hell, some Bloodborne how to beat XXXXX boss youtube videos have over a million of views. I can understand some people have private accounts, don't play online, etc. etc. However, it would seem that crazy to me to think that 90%+ of the player base is doing this. Can someone explain? 

Only people who are typed into the homepage on this site are tracked by the site, so only 3.2 million people. When in actuality there are something like 40+ million "active" PSN accounts, so the game owners are only out of those 3.2 million people tracked :P 

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, BlindMango said:

Only people who are typed into the homepage on this site are tracked by the site, so only 3.2 million people. When in actuality there are something like 40+ million "active" PSN accounts, so the game owners are only out of those 3.2 million people tracked :P 

Thanks. I think this clears it up for me. I can comprehend that only a small fraction of the player base cares enough about trophies to visit a site like this. I knew this site had different percentages for completion vs. what psn shows. It's all making more sense now. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

It should be a condition of joining this site that you have to add at least 10/15 friends. Then this wouldn't be a problem. 

You're all just being lazy and selfish. 

Flooding the database with accounts that will rarely get updated sounds like a fantastic idea, couldn't possibly go wrong.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BlindMango said:

It is also worth pointing out that users who chose to make their psn profiles private, i.e. hide trophies are not tracked as well. As the result, even fewer people contribute to the statistics.

Still, I wish Sly looked into expanding the PSNProfiles database a bit. 3mil is impressive and all, but seeing how 60mil ps4s was sold gives you some perspective. Or maybe give site users a tool to expands the database, the one that will not ban your IP address after too many updates at least.

Edited by Umych

1 hour ago, BlindMango said:

The total amount of monthly active users is 70+ million, with over 110 million total users estimated. So the site tracks less than 5% of the active accounts.

• Like 2

800 of my friends on Playstation don't even know what PSNProfiles is. So just imagine the 10's of millions that will never likely step foot on this site to register their Username. Look at the players who own GTA V for ps3 on psnprofiles. That's NOTHING compared to how many people own the game as of right now.

Edited by ChampionPrince

23 minutes ago, kuuhaku said:

Some people don't have that many friends :P

Then they should use their handful of accounts they have for different regions and or for self boosting. 

I mean, I started that sentence as a joke and all, but I wonder how many of all the PSN accounts overall are dummy / boosting accounts. I know I've had probably close to ten. I remember 3 or 4 for NFS on Vita needing friend scores or something, then there's another 2 for replaying stuff / 100%ing, then my multiregion accounts. Stacks up.