Why is it prohibited to write in my language?

14 hours ago, TheVader66 said:

As a Native Spanish Speaker who had to re-learn how to read and write spanish after almost a decade of only using English, this is bullshit to the highest degree.

The Spanish Speakers are just as much of Assholes as the English Speakers.

I don't know about your experience, and seriously I don't care (much less with that attitude) but I have never, neither in real life or internet, witnessed someone mocking english speakers for their bad spanish, and I would never do that either. Trying to debate which ones are the biggest assholes... let's not do that, but I ALWAYS see how english speakers mocks people for writing bad english on internet because there is where I spend most of my time, on english sites.

Now, the fun part: spanish speakers mocking other spanish speakers for their bad english, that happens A LOT, and it's hilarious when both are wrong.

40 minutes ago, Katt said:

Now, the fun part: spanish speakers mocking other spanish speakers for their bad english, that happens A LOT, and it's hilarious when both are wrong.

Hey anyone who actually understands that A LOT is two words rather than one is welcome to correct everyone else's English as far as I'm concerned ?

3 hours ago, Katt said:

I don't know about your experience, and seriously I don't care (much less with that attitude) but I have never, neither in real life or internet, witnessed someone mocking english speakers for their bad spanish, and I would never do that either. Trying to debate which ones are the biggest assholes... let's not do that, but I ALWAYS see how english speakers mocks people for writing bad english on internet because there is where I spend most of my time, on english sites.

While you personally have not witnessed people mocking english speakers for bad spanish. I have from being just the witness to actually receiving those insults. Either way, both of our views are bias due to our experiences since we both claim that the other language speaker (I say Spanish, you say English) are assholes.

Let us just end this right here since I can see this getting ugly if one of us starts making bold claims. Unless you want to continue, so we can get ban-hammered by one of the mods like @Stevieboy

16 minutes ago, TheVader66 said:

you say English) are assholes.

No, I didn't. I only said I have seen people mocking others for their english, knowing in advance that their primary language was not english (in fact, I have not said that, but that was I intended to explain)

21 minutes ago, TheVader66 said:

both of our views are bias due to our experiences

Exactly. That's why your reply pissed me off, but you understood. Look, I speak spanish and it's ok, I like my language but I also love english. Sure, I make stupid mistakes from time to time, but I use every day of my life to improve a little, talking on forums, twitter, blah blah blah. 
But it's like some people hate other languages that are not the english language, as if they believe that just for talking english, they are better than the rest and I really can't stand that. All languages are important.

22 minutes ago, TheVader66 said:

Let us just end this right here since I can see this getting ugly if one of us starts making bold claims. Unless you want to continue, so we can get ban-hammered by one of the mods

lol, agreed.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Satoshi Ookami said:

With Japanese being the most important one :awesome::awesome::awesome: 

Dude, you always kill the mood with the most weeb thing that could cross your mind, don't ya?

bwahahaha!

• Like 4

two cents on topic...i swear I've seen this type of thread more than once in the past...here's what I took from previous discussions:

1 - more languages = more moderators...the problem that was mentioned before and that makes using languages other than english frowned upon here is when threads get out of hand in languages other than English...seems that it's easier to say "this is an English site" rather than try to moderate every language and ensuing programming details (I.e. separating, forums, threads, games, guides, etc. by language)...

2 - not in the site rules...I seem to recall people asking for a subset of rules as well a while back that led to pretty much no conclusion...I also remember reading that the site aims to have as few microrules as possible to encourage people to post freely...that being said, there is definitely some site etiquette that exists below the current set of rules...things like no naming and shaming, no individual boosting threads, and yes, no languages other than English in the forums...I think the logic is that if you can't do this in the forums section, perhaps you should find a site dedicated to a language you're fluent in...it would seem an exception has been made for disputes since accuracy is important and some members may not be able to express themselves clearly without using their native language...

I don't think posting in a language other than English is prohibited in the sense that it will earn you a ban...as far as I know, your post will just be removed and/or edited...you might also expect a pm from a mod asking you to post in English from then on...if you continue doing it, then that would be on you for not following site etiquette I suppose...all I got...

On 2017-08-05 at 4:36 PM, Katt said:

when english speakers talk bad spanish:
"lol, how cute, I would love to teach him/she how to properly speak spanish"

when spanish speakers talk bad english:
"ENGLISH, MOTHERFUCKER, DO YOU SPEAK IT!?"
and they shove it onto your face everytime you make the slightest mistake writing something.

You are 100% correct. The amount of people I have had to listen to saying things like "if they come to our country they should learn to speak the language" to which I remind them, "how many languages do you know? That person knows 2 or 3. So maybe get off their back because if it is so easy you trying learning a language as tricky as English on top of the languages you already know AND while trying to support your family because you had to start over again because you came to a new country"

Seriously I wish every English speaker who thinks someone is dumb for not knowing a second language fluently should go and attempt to learn even how to speak a second language to the point they can carry on a broken conversation.

10 hours ago, Satoshi Ookami said:

With Japanese being the most important one :awesome::awesome::awesome: 

I know you are joking but actually Mandarin would probably be the most important considering over 1 billion people speak that as their primary language. Also with China spreading its economic influence into most countries it would probably be good if schools started teaching it to kids as it will be a lot more useful than Spanish or French as they grow older. 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

To be quite honest, if people really want to post in another language, why not just ask Sly for a subforum for Spanish (e.g.)? I would guess that, were there enough demand, and a trustworthy moderator, the site might be open to it.

For the record, I'm a big fan of learning languages and also appealing to demand but I have to ask: is there really no quality place to discuss gaming on the internet in languages other than english?...I've come across forums in Spanish, Portuguese, French, Japanese, Polish, Russian, German, and many others that all seemed top notch...asking for a subforum and moderator is similar to asking for a subforum for naming and shaming or boosting threads...it has been stated that this is unwanted so perhaps majority is not enough to make a difference in the case of languages either...just a thought...not against the idea...

18 hours ago, richtayls said:

Hey anyone who actually understands that A LOT is two words rather than one is welcome to correct everyone else's English as far as I'm concerned ?

Now we just have to teach people the difference between LOSE and LOOSE and the world will be perfect :)

• Like 2

or teach Japanese speakers to pronounce "si" instead of "shi"...i.e. "I prefer to shit on my heels" vs "...sit on my heels" or "I like my city life" vs "...shitty life"...just joking here...don't get me started on "rubbing" vs " loving"...e.g. happiness is rubbing oneself every time you look in the mirror...

also just a quick link for potential future emoji misuse prevention...haha:

https://www.grammarly.com/blog/cultural-associations-on-world-emoji-day/?utm_source=chTrending&utm_medium=content&position=3

wouldn't want to be that guy who misinterprets a pile of poop as anything other than good luck...

Edited by ProfBambam55

16 minutes ago, Dr_Mayus said:

I know you are joking but actually Mandarin would probably be the most important considering over 1 billion people speak that as their primary language. Also with China spreading its economic influence into most countries it would probably be good if schools started teaching it to kids as it will be a lot more useful than Spanish or French as they grow older. 

While it's true mandarin will likely be useful in the near future, I don't think it'll ever be as widespread as spanish or french. It's just too hard to learn. Before you even get to vocabulary and grammar (which are also hard compared to most western languages), there's the insane amount of characters you'd have to get familiar with. I just can't see it spreading in the west.

2 minutes ago, TooruPT said:

While it's true mandarin will likely be useful in the near future, I don't think it'll ever be as widespread as spanish or french. It's just too hard to learn. Before you even get to vocabulary and grammar (which are also hard compared to most western languages), there's the insane amount of characters you'd have to get familiar with. I just can't see it spreading in the west.

No, you are right but that is why most Chinese are learning English so they can do business with NA. But that is why I said Schools should start teaching it because while it isn't that widespread now in 20 years it will be a different world and those that can speak it as a Primary language will be WAY ahead of those that are quickly trying to learn it so they don't get laid off.

I mean I can't predict how the future will go but just seeing the trends China is the new Superpower and the only thing keeping them from being #1 is the USAs massive nuclear arsenal.

But I believe this is a topic for a different thread ^_^

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Dr_Mayus said:

You are 100% correct. The amount of people I have had to listen to saying things like "if they come to our country they should learn to speak the language" to which I remind them, "how many languages do you know? That person knows 2 or 3. So maybe get off their back because if it is so easy you trying learning a language as tricky as English on top of the languages you already know AND while trying to support your family because you had to start over again because you came to a new country"

Seriously I wish every English speaker who thinks someone is dumb for not knowing a second language fluently should go and attempt to learn even how to speak a second language to the point they can carry on a broken conversation.

I second this to a massive degree lol

I've brought it up in conversations before, I understand why Spanish is in schools, we border Mexico, but it's not as important for higher level jobs(besides being in the hospital). 

And despite being French(I speak very very very very little of it though), it's practically useless in business compared to others. 

A Chinese variant definitely or hell Japanese is wayyy more useful in the business world. 

I also know why French is in schools(Canadian French(which is what they actually teach FYI)), but it's still no where near as lucrative as Chinese, or any other asian language. 

1 hour ago, Dav9834 said:

I second this to a massive degree lol

I've brought it up in conversations before, I understand why Spanish is in schools, we border Mexico, but it's not as important for higher level jobs(besides being in the hospital). 

And despite being French(I speak very very very very little of it though), it's practically useless in business compared to others. 

A Chinese variant definitely or hell Japanese is wayyy more useful in the business world. 

I also know why French is in schools(Canadian French(which is what they actually teach FYI)), but it's still no where near as lucrative as Chinese, or any other asian language. 

Then by your thought if anybody want to be revelant in the nearby future we should learned an -ese language like Chinese , Japanese,  Vietnamese or Koreanese :awesome:

Edited by Sigma999
  • Like 1