Pc is better than console?...no. ?

ilikebig

6 hours ago, IntenseFATE98 said:

I only considered the Pro as it's the latest console on the market, I could have considered the PS3 too but you would probably say that's not a fair comparision. Dunno what TV you're using but I've never had any problems in using my PC on a TV, even with a HT attached too. You can take a console if you want, idc, like I said it's personal preference. Optimization currently is way easier than what it was last gen, consoles and PC run on the same architecture now. PC needs a little extra effort to make the game run on all the different SKU's, porting from PC to console is easier than before, but console to PC requires a little extra effort which most devs aren't even putting. Some games like BF1, Destiny 2 are built from the ground up on both PC and consoles, while Arkham Knight was just a lazy port which ended up being horrible on PC.

The PS4 is the latest system, by Sony's own admission the Pro is an expensive niche extension of it targeting a certain demographic with disposable income who don't mind spending more for a better experience in the same games.  Think of it like the GTX 1070 vs 1080, or the 10 series vs the Titan X Pascal.  Big, powerful, more expensive, almost entirely unnecessary for the average user.  I find it kinda funny that you'd go from the PS4 Pro to the PS3 and never even consider the standard PS4, that can play all the latest games as well as anything.

My understanding is certain popular engines like Unreal or Unity make it pretty easy to port games across platforms.  I'd personally be weary of any "easy button" when it comes to something like that, common sense should dictate it still takes a gentle touch to port/optimize said games properly.   Custom-built or more in-house, proprietary engines... depending on what platform(s) they were ultimately built to develop for... I'd venture are a different beast.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, IntenseFATE98 said:

Go ahead, idc. 

If you've never done it, how do you know it's complicated? Who said they charge 6 times more? You're making baseless assumptions. If you've never heard of PCPartPicker, you've clearly made 0 research while building your PC. I'm finding it hard to believe you even own a gaming PC at this point. You don't need to spend ages, again if you've never used it how would you know? Hiring someone is an option, it's not necessary. http://www.play-asia.com/microsoft-windows-10-pro-3264-bit-oem/13/709747 I guess every Vita, PS4 game etc on play asia is stolen too, oh boyyy.

Easy to make assumptions and cry that something is confusing or difficult when you've never tried it yourself :)

The fact that you think doing research before buying a PC is an acceptable thing proves my point. I shouldn't need to do research before I buy my games system, and clearly that means I don't own a PC, obviously I'm answering this post on a magic potato. I couldn't possibly be sitting at my PC right now. And yes, I will call out Play Asia right now and say they are almost certainly selling illegal copies of Windows. There is no fucking way they're licenced to sell Windows 10 at 90% off. I bet they're using international sales loopholes to get away with it and it's simply too much hassle for Microsoft to stop them.

I've built a gaming PC. Cost me £1000 back in the day, that was years ago now though and I made a few fuck ups. I picked solid state over a standard HDD. And I've ended up with a PC with not close to enough storage. I also got a dodgy sound card and had to replace it. I use it for audio and video editing so I wanted a decent sound card, but there's not a great deal of information about them so I ended up with a temperamental model.

You see, I've been gaming since the age of 4 on the Commodore 64, and I know what I'm doing; but most people haven't which is why they're confused as fuck when I talk about these things. I'm looking to upgrade my PC at the end of this year. I need more RAM, a new hard drive, and I want to upgrade the graphics card. I'm thinking the GeForce GTX 980. That's a £300 card (minumum). So I'm looking at about £400-500 to upgrade. PC isn't cheap and it isn't easy. I don't know shit about cars. I'm in my 30's and I don't drive, never learned to drive. I only found out what a clutch even was this year thanks for Forza. My dad was a mechanic for over 30 years, he could tell me every detail possible about any car. He wouldn't have the faintest fucking clue how to build a PC. You arrogantly assume everyone knows what you know, you have the empathy and compassion of a squashed apricot and frankly you should be ashamed.

We came so close to, you where willing to accept the facts I put forward that where pro PC but like a typical fanboy you couldn't accept that PC has flaws and accept demonstrable facts. You had to dispute the very reasonable statement that PC is too expensive and has a skill barrier to entry. A simple statement but you argue against it anyway. I presume your goading is an admission that you think PC is consumer friendly and reasonably priced, and to that I say this:

Omitted. 

Edited by Parker
Keep the childish insults out of your posts.
  • Like 1

The unfortunate thing about the console vs PC debate is that both sides (if they care enough to debate in the first place) are usually pretty stubborn and unwilling to bend from however they view the platforms.  It typically devolves to "PC games can look better", then "yeah but consoles are cheaper", then "yeah but you can buy games for pennies on Steam so it evens out", then "yeah but PC's are more complicated and prone to issues", then "yeah but I haven't had issues"...  and it spirals out depending on how ignorant or irrational the people arguing are, or how aggressive the conversation has gotten.

These are all things I'm often guilty of too... so I'm not pointing any fingers. :)

At the end of the day... the people who objectively think their platform is better, or one platform is best, are missing the bigger picture.  From comfort, to game preferences, to graphical preferences (everyone wants better graphics; some people feel they need it and 60fps+ and others couldn't care less), to want/need for simplicity, interest in customization, to financial barriers... there are perfectly reasonable (if presented reasonably lol) points to be made for and against both.

EDIT: At the core of the debate, it's a matter of preference and peoples personal situations... so it's a flawed debate from the get-go.  Like most debates. xD  I like the PC vs console debate though, I find it interesting to try and see if I can get someone to understand my views or if they can get me to understand theirs... as frustrating and childish as it usually becomes.  It helps that I've been on both sides of it.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 07/08/2017 at 4:03 PM, Dreakon13 said:

The unfortunate thing about the console vs PC debate is that both sides (if they care enough to debate in the first place) are usually pretty stubborn and unwilling to bend from however they view the platforms.  It typically devolves to "PC games can look better", then "yeah but consoles are cheaper", then "yeah but you can buy games for pennies on Steam so it evens out", then "yeah but PC's are more complicated and prone to issues", then "yeah but I haven't had issues"...  and it spirals out depending on how ignorant or irrational the people arguing are, or how aggressive the conversation has gotten.

These are all things I'm often guilty of too... so I'm not pointing any fingers. :)

At the end of the day... the people who objectively think their platform is better, or one platform is best, are missing the bigger picture.  From comfort, to game preferences, to graphical preferences (everyone wants better graphics; some people feel they need it and 60fps+ and others couldn't care less), to want/need for simplicity, interest in customization, to financial barriers... there are perfectly reasonable (if presented reasonably lol) points to be made for and against both.

EDIT: At the core of the debate, it's a matter of preference and peoples personal situations... so it's a flawed debate from the get-go.  Like most debates. xD  I like the PC vs console debate though, I find it interesting to try and see if I can get someone to understand my views or if they can get me to understand theirs... as frustrating and childish as it usually becomes.  It helps that I've been on both sides of it.

I had pretty much proven my point, including posting price listings and links comparing contemporary PC components to the PS4 in both price and performance. But apparently one of the moderators decided to delete my post because someone couldn't handle being wrong on the internet. It was rather pathetic. I've found other forums to discuss gaming on now. I'm literally only using this site to track trophies now... the community can't handle a discussion without crying like babies.

• Like 1

On 8/6/2017 at 10:07 PM, BurnedChipmunk said:

The fact that you think doing research before buying a PC is an acceptable thing proves my point. I shouldn't need to do research before I buy my games system, and clearly that means I don't own a PC, obviously I'm answering this post on a magic potato. I couldn't possibly be sitting at my PC right now. And yes, I will call out Play Asia right now and say they are almost certainly selling illegal copies of Windows. There is no fucking way they're licenced to sell Windows 10 at 90% off. I bet they're using international sales loopholes to get away with it and it's simply too much hassle for Microsoft to stop them.

I've built a gaming PC. Cost me £1000 back in the day, that was years ago now though and I made a few fuck ups. I picked solid state over a standard HDD. And I've ended up with a PC with not close to enough storage. I also got a dodgy sound card and had to replace it. I use it for audio and video editing so I wanted a decent sound card, but there's not a great deal of information about them so I ended up with a temperamental model.

You see, I've been gaming since the age of 4 on the Commodore 64, and I know what I'm doing; but most people haven't which is why they're confused as fuck when I talk about these things. I'm looking to upgrade my PC at the end of this year. I need more RAM, a new hard drive, and I want to upgrade the graphics card. I'm thinking the GeForce GTX 980. That's a £300 card (minumum). So I'm looking at about £400-500 to upgrade. PC isn't cheap and it isn't easy. I don't know shit about cars. I'm in my 30's and I don't drive, never learned to drive. I only found out what a clutch even was this year thanks for Forza. My dad was a mechanic for over 30 years, he could tell me every detail possible about any car. He wouldn't have the faintest fucking clue how to build a PC. You arrogantly assume everyone knows what you know, you have the empathy and compassion of a squashed apricot and frankly you should be ashamed.

We came so close to, you where willing to accept the facts I put forward that where pro PC but like a typical fanboy you couldn't accept that PC has flaws and accept demonstrable facts. You had to dispute the very reasonable statement that PC is too expensive and has a skill barrier to entry. A simple statement but you argue against it anyway. I presume your goading is an admission that you think PC is consumer friendly and reasonably priced, and to that I say this:

Omitted. 

If you buy any technical device without doing research first, you're just asking for problems or may be making a uneducated (bad) choice. Gaming consoles are no exception. 

2 hours ago, Eyjabria said:

If you buy any technical device without doing research first, you're just asking for problems or may be making a uneducated (bad) choice. Gaming consoles are no exception. 

I'd say you're more likely to get burned making poor decisions when buying PC parts, then deciding between the 500GB PS4 Slim vs the 1TB PS4 Slim.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 2

The PC- Console argument. Always a good one.

Obviously, both have their strengths and weaknesses. What always surprised me was the seeming delusion that PC owners have that literally EVERY game genre is better on PC. This is just rubbish. I remember back in the day when American McGee's Alice came out in 2000 or so. Unlike many who had their first exposure as the (unfortunate) DLC to Madness Returns, I actually had the opportunity to play this upon release when my roommate in grad school got it. 

He sang such praises about it, but I just couldn't see it. The platform genre was so great on console, and this game was so very far from great that I had no words for it. But sure enough, reviews of the game were absolutely stellar. What were these people playing? 

This delusion goes back as far as my middle school days, when people would praise lousy baseball simulators on the PC, when RBI Baseball or Bases Loaded was so much better. I remember people talking about the greatness of Winter Games. To be fair, that game was better on PC than on consoles (where it was so bad that it actually got an AVGN review), but being better than one of the worst console games I can think of is hardly a vote of confidence.

Again, each environment should stick to its strengths IMHO. Mixing the two systems will really do harm to both in the long run.

23 hours ago, starcrunch061 said:

The PC- Console argument. Always a good one.

Obviously, both have their strengths and weaknesses. What always surprised me was the seeming delusion that PC owners have that literally EVERY game genre is better on PC. This is just rubbish. I remember back in the day when American McGee's Alice came out in 2000 or so. Unlike many who had their first exposure as the (unfortunate) DLC to Madness Returns, I actually had the opportunity to play this upon release when my roommate in grad school got it. 

He sang such praises about it, but I just couldn't see it. The platform genre was so great on console, and this game was so very far from great that I had no words for it. But sure enough, reviews of the game were absolutely stellar. What were these people playing? 

Again, each environment should stick to its strengths IMHO. Mixing the two systems will really do harm to both in the long run.

A good 3D platformer that deserves the praise more than Madness Returns? Never understood the hate for Alice at all, Madness Returns is far too linear and easy whereas Alice actually has some exploration and it was a puzzle to figure out how to get from A to B rather than in Madness where you see exactly how to because all the platforms are laid out linearly in front of you. Reminded me a lot of the early PC Harry Potter games, and to a certain extent the PS1 Tomb Raider games, it was great.

The PS3 version is a bit of a shoddy port but there's still a good game hidden behind the controller mishaps that plague the port.

As for the PC/console debate, PC has literally nothing of value whatsoever to me. Almost all of the exclusives are dumb shovelware indie, there's a heavy focus on MMOs/MOBAs/etc., the achievement systems are all horrid, and mods are readily available to graffiti on a work of art that other people have created for you to experience. Has always seemed rather shitty to me that people buy a game like GTA V and then go mod in Harry Potter. That's disrespectful both to J.K Rowling and Rockstar, and that sort of shit is everywhere in PC gaming. The community never stops talking about whatever digital graffiti they downloaded today.

Just now, madbuk said:

A good 3D platformer that deserves the praise more than Madness Returns? Never understood the hate for Alice at all, Madness Returns is far too linear and easy whereas Alice actually has some exploration and it was a puzzle to figure out how to get from A to B rather than in Madness where you see exactly how to because all the platforms are laid out linearly in front of you. Reminded me a lot of the early PC Harry Potter games, and to a certain extent the PS1 Tomb Raider games, it was great.

The PS3 version is a bit of a shoddy port but there's still a good game hidden behind the controller mishaps that plague the port.

Also, control issues abounded in the PC version as well. The PS3 did nothing to fix them, granted, but they were certainly present back in the day.

2 hours ago, madbuk said:

As for the PC/console debate, PC has literally nothing of value whatsoever to me. Almost all of the exclusives are dumb shovelware indie, there's a heavy focus on MMOs/MOBAs/etc., the achievement systems are all horrid, and mods are readily available to graffiti on a work of art that other people have created for you to experience. Has always seemed rather shitty to me that people buy a game like GTA V and then go mod in Harry Potter. That's disrespectful both to J.K Rowling and Rockstar, and that sort of shit is everywhere in PC gaming. The community never stops talking about whatever digital graffiti they downloaded today.

Gotta say, as open minded as I try to be... this is basically where I'm at with the PC.  As a platform there's no denying that its flexibility makes it so you might get a better gaming experience than on console... but there are so many things that go into what makes a "good" gaming experience that it's really different for everyone.  Personally, I far prefer gaming on a couch or in my recliner on a big HDTV with a gamepad... a combo, in my years on PC, that I've found it doesn't really accommodate well for even if you can technically manage it with a lot of games in the right setup (some games are too finicky to display on HDTV's without issues, some just don't like older HDTV's or certain brands because reasons, some are too finicky for sound to flow through the television without issues, a lot of games don't support gamepads, etc).  But that's just me.

On that note... MOBA's, MMO's, competitive FPS, strategy games and mods also do absolutely nothing for me.  So the conversation of which is better (for me) really ends there since those are the PC's bread and butter.

Hollow Knight is an awesome indie though and far from shovelware.  It has been/will be PC exclusive until the Switch and (maybe) the PS4 port in the next year or so.  So there are the occasional gems for sure.  Most of the ones worth playing find their way to console eventually anyways (and it tends to be a more effective way of weeding out the garbage than Steams open-door policy).

Edited by Dreakon13

Genesis does when Nintendon't. /thread.

Seriously though, as much as I love Zero Punctuation I will forever hold him responsible for unleashing this PC Master Race stuff on the world. Its always been Nintendo vs Sega, PS vs Xbox and now it's console vs PC. It is funny to watch the same pantomime with difference actors. What it come's done to is this: What do you prefer? 

Do you prefer Keyboard and Mouse or Controller.
Is the extra precision mouse/keyboard gives important to you?
Do you prefer boxed copies or digital
Do you prefer better exclusives(let's be real) or better running multi plats.

Do you prefer the genres more prominent on consoles or PC

I personally prefer consoles, but I don't see a problem with admitting the PCs are good as well. I find pad more comfy, I prefer physical media, I love PS exclusives and don't care for PC exclusives(seriously more space games than the freaking Atari 2600) and I don't care about MOBA's or RTS games.  Because of this I play console. 

Pick one, or both, shut the fuck up and play a damn game. Going around declaring one or the other better and demonising the other is just pointless. You're not going to change anyone's mind, people will think you an idiot and it shows how maybe you are not as happy with your purchasing decisions as you are putting forward; the same goes for getting offended by/posting rebuttals to such claims. 

Besides, it's all pointless because we all know that the Mobile Gaming Master Race is the only way to play ;D

I like them both, but for different reasons and different types of games. I don't think any platform is inherently better than the rest. If I could only play on ONE platform, it'd probably be my 3DS, as I can take it wherever I go.

These days, I rarely play games on PC because I'm already *on* my PC if I'm playing games. What I mean is that I usually have some browser tab (e.g. Youtube, PSNProfiles, Bulbapedia) or program (e.g. Spotify) open if I'm on my PS4 or 3DS. When I play games on my PC, I feel like I'm naked because I have none of that available to me, unless I want to use my phone or a second computer. Still, it's fun for games like The Sims, where a mouse and keyboard make it a lot easier to do what I want than on console.

4 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

I like them both, but for different reasons and different types of games. I don't think any platform is inherently better than the rest. If I could only play on ONE platform, it'd probably be my 3DS, as I can take it wherever I go.

These days, I rarely play games on PC because I'm already *on* my PC if I'm playing games. What I mean is that I usually have some browser tab (e.g. Youtube, PSNProfiles, Bulbapedia) or program (e.g. Spotify) open if I'm on my PS4 or 3DS. When I play games on my PC, I feel like I'm naked because I have none of that available to me, unless I want to use my phone or a second computer. Still, it's fun for games like The Sims, where a mouse and keyboard make it a lot easier to do what I want than on console.

You can open a browser in the steam overlay. :P

• 5 weeks later...

Pc IS and allways WILL be better than console's. And i am no fan boy. My 1st Console was PS1 in 1996 and my 2nd was N64 and so on.  But i really love building PC rig's. Done that since i was a kid.It is so much fun innit. All the way from windows 2000 and XP era :)

Edited by DividedByMankind

• 2 weeks later...

I've played games on PC very rarely. It's a lot better now with Steam though as when I first tried PC gaming as it was like "you checked to see if this game is compatible?". I was at that age when I didn't have much clue and 7/10 times I bought games I couldn't play >.>;

Anyway, I prefer consoles because I feel comfier playing games on my TV sitting on a nice sofa instead of my PC chair. I'm online anyway if I'm not gaming so I'd never get off my PC else.

I also prefer to buy physical copies of games rather than only digital. Especially as I'm a sucker for pre-order goodies >.<

I won't say either is worse. Steam is great if you love indie and VN games though. Boy does it have a lot of VNs.

I was a PC gamer for 15 years and it's a great platform I spent 8 years playing World of Warcraft and to be honest it will always be the best game of all time for me, nothing will ever trump the memories I made or the people I met. But there are lots of problems on PC one thing hardly anyone mentions during these topics that drove me nuts on PC and it was the amount of rampant hacking that goes on in multiplayer games. Sure it happens on Console too but it's a much much smaller problem the amount of hoops you need to jump through on console to hack a game means it hardly happens. 

Unless it's one of the big online only games which is properly monitored most games get infested with hackers and the older the game is the worse it gets. Add the fact everyone has different rigs and different setups it just puts me off of MP on PC. I'd rather just play in an enviroment where everyone has the same tools.

I also hate the argument that PC gaming is cheaper/same price as console gaming. Mostly no one ever mentions that if you want to do a legit setup and you don't have anything at home to start you off you need:

A Chair / Desk / Mouse / Keyboard / Monitor / Headset / Copy of Windows which will add up easily to a couple of hundered euros before you even start looking at components and a tower. To get started with a console you need a TV which in this day and age everyone has already.

I like both platforms but not thinking of going back to PC anytime soon. I have kids now and my MMO days are long behind me ... and Imo those kind of online only / community driven games along with the stratergy genre are the strongest selling point of PCs.

Edited by tpepper1985

1 hour ago, tpepper1985 said:

I also hate the argument that PC gaming is cheaper/same price as console gaming. 

This annoys me to no end. I am the faculty adviser to the game club at my university, and I've had this debate so many times with the presidents of the club over my tenure. Despite all of them being CS or CE majors, there was an alarming lack of numerical sense in their arguments.

1 hour ago, tpepper1985 said:

I also hate the argument that PC gaming is cheaper/same price as console gaming. Mostly no one ever mentions that if you want to do a legit setup and you don't have anything at home to start you off you need:

A Chair / Desk / Mouse / Keyboard / Monitor / Headset / Copy of Windows which will add up easily to a couple of hundered euros before you even start looking at components and a tower. To get started with a console you need a TV which in this day and age everyone has already.

I never understood this either. In 2006, you could've bought a brand new PS3 for $500 (USD). You could maybe put together a decent gaming machine at that time for around the same price. (I don't know much about building computers, but that seems like a reasonable assumption.)

Now, where will you be ten years later? Many people are still playing PS3 games. I sold mine a couple of years ago, but it certainly wasn't because of a lack of games to play. And even if it was, that's still six or seven solid years of gaming from one machine. But what about the PC? Are you, in 2016, going to be using the same computer you purchased in 2006? Maybe...but you'll likely have upgraded some parts of it. A new graphics card, a better keyboard, a bigger monitor, whatever. That's why I never understood how PC gaming is "cheaper" than console gaming.

And that's not even taking into account the ability to sell console games when you are finished with them...

39 minutes ago, Cassylvania said:

I never understood this either. In 2006, you could've bought a brand new PS3 for $500 (USD). You could maybe put together a decent gaming machine at that time for around the same price. (I don't know much about building computers, but that seems like a reasonable assumption.)

Now, where will you be ten years later? Many people are still playing PS3 games. I sold mine a couple of years ago, but it certainly wasn't because of a lack of games to play. And even if it was, that's still six or seven solid years of gaming from one machine. But what about the PC? Are you, in 2016, going to be using the same computer you purchased in 2006? Maybe...but you'll likely have upgraded some parts of it. A new graphics card, a better keyboard, a bigger monitor, whatever. That's why I never understood how PC gaming is "cheaper" than console gaming.

And that's not even taking into account the ability to sell console games when you are finished with them...

I built a mid-to-high end desktop PC for $1000 in 2012, by 2016 I was struggling to run newer games at ideal settings (1080P, 30+fps).  Taking other circumstances into account and probably being a little generous, I'd be surprised to see any computer last more than 5-6 years without needing some TLC.  Building a cheaper PC will only buy you less time... unless you make an awful lot of concessions in terms of graphics and performance towards the end (where possible), well below that of even console standards.  Graphics cards are where you'd be dropping the most cash, it takes a while for a reasonable CPU/amount of RAM to bottleneck you.

A PS3 released in 2006 for $500, with a little luck, could get you 7 years before the PS4 comes out in 2013.  The PS4 was what... $400 on release?  Figure that might buy you another 7 years... you've gotten 14 years of the latest games for $100 less than the PC that would've reasonably only gotten me 5-6 years.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 3

23 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

A PS3 released in 2006 for $500, with a little luck, could get you 7 years before the PS4 comes out in 2013.  The PS4 was what... $400 on release?  Figure that might buy you another 7 years... you've gotten 14 years of the latest games for $100 less than the PC that would've reasonably only gotten me 5-6 years.

This is a good point that doesn't get brought up nearly enough. The games are made to fit the console, not the reverse. In the PC world, you can always make a game for higher specs, and demand people improve their machine. This doesn't work on consoles (and, tbh, it seems to be proving a somewhat costly lesson for Sony and their Pro).