Pc is better than console?...no. ?

ilikebig

On 8/4/2017 at 8:39 PM, ilikebig said:

Why does this pc master race thingy even exist. If you spend more you get more. No shit sherlock. Comparing to console is retarded because you cannot compare a $400 device to one which has unlimited potential with upgrades. Im looking to get into this pc bollox, but when I see the price to performance ratio, no thanks. 

Objectively PCs are the best and you get far more mileage out of a 500$ or 600$ PC than you would a generation of consoles.

Doesn't mean I don't like to play on consoles but there is no denying the facts.

On 8/4/2017 at 10:50 PM, Parker said:

That isn't always true. Look at the Arkham Knight PC port, even on very high end systems there were all sorts of performance issues with the game, it got so bad that refunds had to be issued and the PV version was pulled from stores. While that isn't common, it does happen. 

Parker

I mean...you said it yourself. It's a bad port. But when a game is equally optimized for all systems PC trumps.

6 minutes ago, HaSoOoN-MHD said:

Objectively PCs are the best and you get far more mileage out of a 500$ or 600$ PC than you would a generation of consoles.

Doesn't mean I don't like to play on consoles but there is no denying the facts.

I mean...you said it yourself. It's a bad port. But when a game is equally optimized for all systems PC trumps.

Funny thing is I got less bugs out of the patched version of the game right before the release of the Season of Infamy DLC. Then the PS4 version of the game. ?

4 hours ago, HaSoOoN-MHD said:

You might get more mileage out of a $1000-1500 PC than you would a generation of consoles.  Depending on what you mean by mileage... a console will be inherently relevant for a full 5-10 years, whereas even a $1000 PC could be struggling by year 5-6 depending on how games/technology advance in that timeframe.

It's debatable that you'd be able to build a PC from scratch... keeping in mind you need a case, HDD/SSD, PSU, etc... on top of the CPU, GPU and mobo... for $500-600 that can even run the latest games as well as a standard Xbox One or PS4 (especially if you built it with technology and prices from 2013 when those consoles first came out).  And even if you could, it wouldn't last long as they'd be budget parts to begin with.  There's nothing objectively better about that.

Edited by Dreakon13

On 11/12/2017 at 5:05 AM, Dreakon13 said:

You might get more mileage out of a $1000-1500 PC than you would a generation of consoles.  Depending on what you mean by mileage... a console will be inherently relevant for a full 5-10 years, whereas even a $1000 PC could be struggling by year 5-6 depending on how games/technology advance in that timeframe.

It's debatable that you'd be able to build a PC from scratch... keeping in mind you need a case, HDD/SSD, PSU, etc... on top of the CPU, GPU and mobo... for $500-600 that can even run the latest games as well as a standard Xbox One or PS4 (especially if you built it with technology and prices from 2013 when those consoles first came out).  And even if you could, it wouldn't last long as they'd be budget parts to begin with.  There's nothing objectively better about that.

a 1500$ rig is future proof. There are no might's or but's here - a high end rig will last you ages. It will far outstrip any console on the market and will last you multiple generations depending on how flexible you are as a gamer. PC tech is getting cheaper and better as time goes on, where's consoles are lagging behind more and more. PS4/One are an outdated joke, really.

Developers mostly develop for console. That's the fact of things - and console hardware is set in stone. Makes it incredibly easy to out preform - If you're willing to shell out a bit more for a mid range or even higher low end PC you are getting a better experience. 

Tell you what, here is a build for about 450$ that outdoes a console.

CPU *Intel - Pentium G4560 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor $78.89 @ B&H
Motherboard *MSI - B250M PRO-VD Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $58.75 @ Amazon
Memory *G.Skill - NT Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory $69.99 @ Newegg
Storage *Western Digital - RE3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $35.20 @ Amazon
Video Card *MSI - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB Video Card $142.29 @ Amazon
Case *DIYPC - MA01-R MicroATX Mini Tower Case $23.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply *EVGA - 450W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $31.99 @ SuperBiiz

Credit goes to the builds page on the PCMR reddit page.

48 minutes ago, HaSoOoN-MHD said:

a 1500$ rig is future proof. There are no might's or but's here - a high end rig will last you ages. It will far outstrip any console on the market and will last you multiple generations depending on how flexible you are as a gamer. PC tech is getting cheaper and better as time goes on, where's consoles are lagging behind more and more. PS4/One are an outdated joke, really.

Developers mostly develop for console. That's the fact of things - and console hardware is set in stone. Makes it incredibly easy to out preform - If you're willing to shell out a bit more for a mid range or even higher low end PC you are getting a better experience. 

Storage *Western Digital - RE3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $35.20 @ Amazon
Power Supply *EVGA - 450W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $31.99 @ SuperBiiz

You missed controller/keyboard+mouse. Controller comes with every console. Along with the necessary wires.

Edited by Eraezr

4 hours ago, Eraezr said:

You missed controller/keyboard+mouse. Controller comes with every console. Along with the necessary wires.

But everybody has a keyboard + mouse. I mean, in almost every house is a computer and you don't need to waste 60$ in a keyboard. If you don't have none and you don't want to waste much money, you can find keyboards + mouse for around 12-15$ easily in shops like Amazon.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, HaSoOoN-MHD said:

1. My $1000 PC I built in 2012 was stuck playing games below console standards (less than '1080P 30fps') after about 4 years.  No PC is future proof.

2. That CPU (both the chip and the whole package) is trash.  A $24 case is probably a fire hazard and a colossal pain to build in.  That rig is propped up completely by the power of the 1050, which is the budget-budget version of the 10 series (1080 luxury, 70 balance, 60 budget, 50 why bother).  Fortunately the 10 series is freakin' amazing so you might eek out a year or two with that before you start feeling irrelevant again (depending on what games you play; you might be irrelevant out of the gate with that toaster for the newer, more intensive ones).  5-10 years of the latest games with a console, or 1-2 years with that budget PC?  Which has more mileage again?  And you're paying an extra $50-150 for the privilege?

3. Try playing fair and building a budget PC like that with parts and prices from 2013 when the PS4 first came out, and see how it runs today. ;)

4. Even if that hardware is technically better than the hardware you'd find in a console, which I'm sure is what your basing this entire mindset on, PC games often have significantly higher requirements to meet the same benchmarks... and I'm not even talking about the shit ports.  The beauty/mystery/complexity of PC gaming.

EDIT: What people don't realize is that building a PC is a constant downhill race towards irrelevancy.  Building a brand new PC that tops out around the "console standard" for newer games and around the "new console price" might look nice for a little PC Master Race campaign... but all you're doing is just starting at the bottom of that hill.

Every new game that comes out on console, will work on that console.  Until a new generation of consoles replaces it (not PS4 Pro... PS5).

Every new game that comes out on PC, has higher system requirements than the one before it... despite technically working on the same console hardware, in the middle of the same console generation.  Slowly but surely marginalizing your investment.  Does it make a lot of sense?  Is it fair?  Not really.  But such is life in the PCMR.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Dreakon13 said:

1. My $1000 PC I built in 2012 was stuck playing games below console standards (less than '1080P 30fps') after about 4 years.  No PC is future proof.

2. That CPU (both the chip and the whole package) is trash.  A $24 case is probably a fire hazard and a colossal pain to build in.  That rig is propped up completely by the power of the 1050, which is the budget-budget version of the 10 series (1080 luxury, 70 balance, 60 budget, 50 why bother).  Fortunately the 10 series is freakin' amazing so you might eek out a year or two with that before you start feeling irrelevant again (depending on what games you play; you might be irrelevant out of the gate with that toaster for the newer, more intensive ones).  5-10 years of the latest games with a console, or 1-2 years with that budget PC?  Which has more mileage again?  And you're paying an extra $50-150 for the privilege?

3. Try playing fair and building a budget PC like that with parts and prices from 2013 when the PS4 first came out, and see how it runs today. ;)

4. Even if that hardware is technically better than the hardware you'd find in a console, which I'm sure is what your basing this entire mindset on, PC games often have significantly higher requirements to meet the same benchmarks... and I'm not even talking about the shit ports.  The beauty/mystery/complexity of PC gaming.

EDIT: What people don't realize is that building a PC is a constant downhill race towards irrelevancy.  Building a brand new PC that tops out around the "console standard" for newer games and around the "new console price" might look nice for a little PC Master Race campaign... but all you're doing is just starting at the bottom of that hill.

Every new game that comes out on console, will work on that console.  Until a new generation of consoles replaces it (not PS4 Pro... PS5).

Every new game that comes out on PC, has higher system requirements than the one before it... despite technically working on the same console hardware, in the middle of the same console generation.  Slowly but surely marginalizing your investment.  Does it make a lot of sense?  Is it fair?  Not really.  But such is life in the PCMR.

What are your specs? that's completely and utterly not my experience.

For starters those console standards are questionable since a lot of games struggle to actually a hit smooth consistent 30 fp/s with 1080p. There is usually some sacrifice going on - be it fidelity for frame rate or vice versa. 60 fp/s 1080p was Sony's big tag line but that proved to be clearly, a joke. A few games like Nioh afford you the option to pick and choose but that's not a particularly intensive game to begin with.

It's a versatile set up. You have more processing power than current gen consoles on the market - and as long as you are willing to forego playing at the highest settings/benchmarks while hitting 60 fp/s you should be fine. You can prioritize performance or you can prioritize visuals - and both will work and you'll be able to run current gen games all the same. It will afford you a console experience at the very least with the inherent benefits of playing on a PC. It's the sort of versatility a console rarely gives. I am curious about your definition of irrelevancy, here. Is that running 1080p 60 fp/s? 1080 30 fp/s? 4K? what is it, precisely?

I never claimed this is an optimal build, no. But the 1000$ a rig meme is starting to grate - it is absolutely possible to build cheaper rigs that will run modern games just fine.

3 hours ago, HaSoOoN-MHD said:

What are your specs? that's completely and utterly not my experience.

For starters those console standards are questionable since a lot of games struggle to actually a hit smooth consistent 30 fp/s with 1080p. There is usually some sacrifice going on - be it fidelity for frame rate or vice versa. 60 fp/s 1080p was Sony's big tag line but that proved to be clearly, a joke. A few games like Nioh afford you the option to pick and choose but that's not a particularly intensive game to begin with.

It's a versatile set up. You have more processing power than current gen consoles on the market - and as long as you are willing to forego playing at the highest settings/benchmarks while hitting 60 fp/s you should be fine. You can prioritize performance or you can prioritize visuals - and both will work and you'll be able to run current gen games all the same. It will afford you a console experience at the very least with the inherent benefits of playing on a PC. It's the sort of versatility a console rarely gives. I am curious about your definition of irrelevancy, here. Is that running 1080p 60 fp/s? 1080 30 fp/s? 4K? what is it, precisely?

I never claimed this is an optimal build, no. But the 1000$ a rig meme is starting to grate - it is absolutely possible to build cheaper rigs that will run modern games just fine.

What were my specs is probably more appropriate... I dismantled the thing last year and sold off the parts with any value, since it just wasn't time or cost effective to keep the PC where I wanted it to be.  Not when I could just buy a PS4 for $300 and skip the hassle.  This is what Newegg says I bought way back in 2012:

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz
MOBO: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155
RAM: SAMSUNG 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600
HDD: Seagate HDD 1TB
GPU: Galaxy GeForce GTX 670 2GB
PSU: SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold 650W
CASE: Corsair Carbide Series 500R Arctic White Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower

Throw in a DVD drive, a better-than-stock heatsink and fan for the CPU, etc.

Was mid to high end for the time, about what you'd expect for approximately $1000.  The 6 series GTX cards were the best available since the 7 and 9 series weren't around yet, and like I said, the 670 was the perfect balance between the luxury (and expense) of the 680 and the budget 660 cards.

By 2016, these specs were flirting dangerously at or a bit below the minimum specs for most games coming out.  Some games ran alright around 1080P and 30fps, others ran worse.  That's what I'd consider irrelevant (or certainly on the cusp of it) as far as gaming PC's go.

EDIT: ^^ With that in mind, you're probably saying "that's what a PS4 plays games at, why is that 'irrelevant' for a PC?"  Well that's because PC game performance varies wildly from game to game... whether it's a lousy port, whether it's just a "next gen"-level intensive game that your PC wasn't ready for, whether it's some poorly optimized indie game, whether it's some game that partnered with one of NVIDIA or AMD and runs like shit on the other, whether it's a game like Ori and the Blind Forest that cannot run below 60fps or it breaks it.  You need higher specs on a PC to match or brute force through that crap.  Without that buffer, you're stuck wondering with every new game that comes out if this is the one that you just... can't play.  It's certainly not the point to start at, at least.

While the console is steady Steven.  It's all built for the same hardware.  Every game is optimized for "my setup".  I can waltz into Gamestop with impunity knowing anything I buy will at least be playable (with few exceptions)... and that could be in 2013, 2017 or 2019.  With that in mind, and the price, I'll take that level of performance.  At least it's consistent.

And yes, I know that build you posted wasn't optimal... but you're being dangerously misleading.  It doesn't take long for PC hardware to get old.  People getting into PC gaming for the first time, building a PC like that expecting a "better than console" experience, will be extremely disappointed both in performance and longevity.  That cheap build wouldn't last 2 years, no less 5-10 like the average console lifecycle.

Edited by Dreakon13

I feel like I get the best of both worlds here. I use my PS4 for the bulk of my games but sometimes I take a break from it every now and then for a few days. The games I buy for both systems are wildly different, on PS4 I tend to go for open world games ideally since I find it easier to play with a controller and not have to worry about whether the platform can handle it. Console is simply a lot more convenient for the type of games I typically play and my lifestyle. 

On my laptop I'm going for simulation type games like Tropico, Cities Skylines, FM, stuff I can easily play with a mouse and aren't too demanding of my laptop and generally aren't demanding of me as a player, just games I can relax with. When I bought this thing back in 2014 I walked into the store and asked for something that could handle gaming for the next few years :lol: I'm not into customizing my laptop at all and wouldn't to know where to start so I just wanted it to be as simple as possible. 

If I had to I'd give the edge to console for the sheer convenience and how much easier it is for me to use. I have a pretty stressful job so outside of work I try to keep things are chilled as possible, being able to come home, ram a disk in the PS4 knowing it'll work helps with that. I may be misinformed but I don't feel like I'd get that with PC without going over my specs and trying to figure out if something's compatible, I just want to get home and chill. I feel like I might be selling PC gaming a little short as it's capable of so much more than what I use it for, but I get what I want from it. 

I owned Duck Game for PC and played the smithereens out of it (1000+ hours so says Steam).  Absolutely love that game.  Then comes along the PS4 version.  It has terrible lag, crashing issues, saving issues and missing features that nearly make the game unplayable unless you soley do local multiplayer.

I got almost all the trophies in said game, but the above issues made me shelve the game permanently until another update comes out.

In this context, PC wins.

I definitely prefer consoles. 100% controller support really is make or break for me and remappers are crap. I got into a car accident about a decade ago and both my hands got really banged up. Prolonged KB/m use is murder on them.

Even if that wasn't the case though, I'd still lean towards consoles. I like using controllers. Not to mention, I don't think I've ever owned a PC that didn't have parts start to go by the third year or so. Too much hassle and maintenance for me.

On 15/11/2017 at 11:19 AM, KingGuy420 said:

I definitely prefer consoles. 100% controller support really is make or break for me and remappers are crap. I got into a car accident about a decade ago and both my hands got really banged up. Prolonged KB/m use is murder on them.

Even if that wasn't the case though, I'd still lean towards consoles. I like using controllers. Not to mention, I don't think I've ever owned a PC that didn't have parts start to go by the third year or so. Too much hassle and maintenance for me.

My thoughts exactly.

The times I have played games on PC in the past remapping got such a chore.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/14/2017 at 3:28 AM, Dreakon13 said:

What were my specs is probably more appropriate... I dismantled the thing last year and sold off the parts with any value, since it just wasn't time or cost effective to keep the PC where I wanted it to be.  Not when I could just buy a PS4 for $300 and skip the hassle.  This is what Newegg says I bought way back in 2012:

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz
MOBO: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155
RAM: SAMSUNG 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600
HDD: Seagate HDD 1TB
GPU: Galaxy GeForce GTX 670 2GB
PSU: SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold 650W
CASE: Corsair Carbide Series 500R Arctic White Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower

Throw in a DVD drive, a better-than-stock heatsink and fan for the CPU, etc.

Was mid to high end for the time, about what you'd expect for approximately $1000.  The 6 series GTX cards were the best available since the 7 and 9 series weren't around yet, and like I said, the 670 was the perfect balance between the luxury (and expense) of the 680 and the budget 660 cards.

By 2016, these specs were flirting dangerously at or a bit below the minimum specs for most games coming out.  Some games ran alright around 1080P and 30fps, others ran worse.  That's what I'd consider irrelevant (or certainly on the cusp of it) as far as gaming PC's go.

EDIT: ^^ With that in mind, you're probably saying "that's what a PS4 plays games at, why is that 'irrelevant' for a PC?"  Well that's because PC game performance varies wildly from game to game... whether it's a lousy port, whether it's just a "next gen"-level intensive game that your PC wasn't ready for, whether it's some poorly optimized indie game, whether it's some game that partnered with one of NVIDIA or AMD and runs like shit on the other, whether it's a game like Ori and the Blind Forest that cannot run below 60fps or it breaks it.  You need higher specs on a PC to match or brute force through that crap.  Without that buffer, you're stuck wondering with every new game that comes out if this is the one that you just... can't play.  It's certainly not the point to start at, at least.

While the console is steady Steven.  It's all built for the same hardware.  Every game is optimized for "my setup".  I can waltz into Gamestop with impunity knowing anything I buy will at least be playable (with few exceptions)... and that could be in 2013, 2017 or 2019.  With that in mind, and the price, I'll take that level of performance.  At least it's consistent.

And yes, I know that build you posted wasn't optimal... but you're being dangerously misleading.  It doesn't take long for PC hardware to get old.  People getting into PC gaming for the first time, building a PC like that expecting a "better than console" experience, will be extremely disappointed both in performance and longevity.  That cheap build wouldn't last 2 years, no less 5-10 like the average console lifecycle.

For some reason this just popped in my notifications, 2 weeks later. Gotta tell Sly about that - Old habits die hard I guess. I'm assuming you've lost interest in this discussion which is perfectly fine but if you want to continue I don't mind getting back to it.

On 11/14/2017 at 8:05 PM, ilikebig said:

Consoles are more successful for a reason and its not money

It's remarkable how you manage to say such broad things while justifying so little.

34 minutes ago, HaSoOoN-MHD said:

For some reason this just popped in my notifications, 2 weeks later. Gotta tell Sly about that - Old habits die hard I guess. I'm assuming you've lost interest in this discussion which is perfectly fine but if you want to continue I don't mind getting back to it.

If you wanted to counter-point, feel free. I'm always up for a good debate between the gaming platforms. Just gotta be careful because I can come across like a jerk sometimes. xD 

I apologise in advance if I did/do. Never mean to get personal about this stuff.

Edited by Dreakon13

PC or console I will say PC has the upper hand. 

What i don't like about the PC and consoles are mods & jailbreaks, which this ruins online experience for legit users.

So how long would it take to crack the Ps4 firmware?

Here's my 1 problem with the PC.(I'm not going into dsicussing the MAC).

Windows updates especially Windows 10.

My Sturdy Windows 8 1TB Desktop blew a flash memory chip, which this is part of the RAM.

When I took into all of the issues at hand. I realized shit Windows 10 shit is trying too overuse my whole system.

My graphics card AMD has just enough "Zap" to run W@W at a smooth setting without latency issues. Just for max setting in W@W i would need to upscale my graphics which i'm just below the highest graphics that great to Run W@W or Tera Online etc. $200 for fancy graphics vs an Ps4 Pro console.

Now think a windows 8 base CPU trying to accumulated Windows 10 bullshit. Windows 10 kept on updating hardware issues they couldn't' updated. My "display" was going whacking.

causing BSOD. My mission was try to get my default windows 8 back, but dumbass Microsoft didn't have any option for rolling backing to previous versions when i finally found out. Regardless if you did manage to rollback, Windows 10 base was still underneath your default base. 

For my flash drive that blew up it, it was windows 10 itself that got fried along with it.

Before my Flash drive blew I bought Window 8 Pro OS  that save my desktop for more hardware damage.

Easy story sum up

Windows 8

Windows updates etc.

Windows update to 8.1

FREE upgrade to Windows 10

Windows 10 updates etc.

Windows 10 sucking up, Windows 8 CPU components 

Overlap Windows 8 Pro over Windows 10.

Flash drive blew due to too much hype in windows 10.

Windows 8 Pro back to normal, But I do see Leftovers from Microsoft/USER, so this may lead to my other half being fried.

On 11/14/2017 at 10:05 AM, ilikebig said:

Consoles are more successful for a reason and its not money

On 11/30/2017 at 8:25 PM, HaSoOoN-MHD said:

It's remarkable how you manage to say such broad things while justifying so little.

You only have to think about it for a second with some critical thinking to understand it.

He's right.  Consoles sell better for the very simple reason that they are convenient, easy to install and use with very little tech knowledge.

You can plug and play.  That's all there is to it.

PC's, while they do have an advantage with customizable/moddable/graphics options..... they do come with some challenges of their own.  With such a wide variety of setups out there you will have to do some troubleshooting some times.  It really depends on the system, config, and hardware/software.  You have to have a tech knowledge for fixing software, using admin settings, updating your drivers, etc. and not everybody has that intelligence. 

There is no "which one is better" only whatever works best for you as a user.  If you enjoy keyboard mouse, great.  If you enjoy controller, great.  Play the one you enjoy.

But it is fact that the consoles are easier to setup and play so therefore they sell more.  It's convenience for the consumer that's all. 

Edited by DARKB1KE