Shadow of War infested by writhing mass of microtransactions

So it's basically like Ubisoft where they charge money for microtransactions so you can buy more powerful equipment and such. One of the reasons why I was turned off with Assassins Creed Unity because of all the microtransaction crap and other garbage they forced on people if they wanted to access certain chests.

I can't say I'm not surprised, seeing it's Warner Bros we're talking about. I just hope Shadow of War will be as good as the first game, because I really enjoyed Shadow of Mordor. I'm thinking about buying the Game of the Year edition so I can experience it all over again.

• Like 2

Actually reading the link I see that purchasing Gold via the PS Store is simply quicker than getting items in the game the natural way. There is nothing that can be obtained by spending real money that can't also be acquired playing the game the way it's meant to be played. I really don't know what the OP is getting so worked up about. Personally I'd rather earn my gear myself than pay real money for something that could be outclassed before you know it.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, NaseemJohn said:

Not trying to be that guy but I really don't understand why people get mad about microtransactions, exp boosts, loot packs etc. Unless you're forced/obligated in purchasing them but in most cases they're optional.Can someone explain why all the hate? 

Because everyone thinks microtransactions in singleplayer games = dramatic drop rate/experience/whatever decrease lol.

Edited by T87
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, T87 said:

Because everyone thinks microtransactions in singleplayer games = dramatic drop rate/experience/whatever decrease lol.

Doesn't it make sense though? If they have microtransactions it will affect the game, players who refuse to buy them because they already spent money buying the game will get a longer grind, otherwise there wouldn't be microtransactions.

If they don't make the game grindier even thought they have microtransactions props to them, you don't see that everyday

• Like 1

It's one thing to say that all micros content can be earned in-game, but quite another to say it won't affect the game.    We don't know as yet just how much it will do this, and notably WB are withholding the pricing, but it's not just grind, and there'll no doubt be mechanics to funnel players into spending, even if it is just grind or ludicrous drop rates, effectively drive yourself insane trying to get gold or something to drop...or just go on the store and buy it and save yourself the pain.   Stuff like this is fine in f2p games, but not in a game I've already paid for.   Personally I think base games are overpriced this gen, and everything that possibly can is dropping overpriced season passes, dlc, micros and pre-order fluff, I'm fed up with the fleecing.   SoW is already £55 ($70 roughly) and a disgraceful £90 ($120 dollars roughly) for the extra season pass ed, almost doubling the price, I know I'll not be buying it until the goty ed hits a sale.

A point about Alienation, I'm a Housemarque fan, I enjoyed the game, but it's worth pointing out that the 'season pass' included no 'playable' content but what it did contain certainly made a huge difference to the game.   The level 15 boost for characters had a big impact on hardcore mode, accessing all weapon types for different classes wasn't possible without it, but worst of all, the best weapons, by far, were held behind this paywall.   This is not the kind of gaming experience I want to have.

I'll give these guys, Pretty Good Gaming, a plug:

• Like 1

Why would microtransactions matter in a single player game?  There's no "competition", it's not a paywall for actual game/story content (ala DLC)... why would you invest more real money into it?  Are you just concerned that you might be dense enough to get conned into participating?  Because there's a simple solution to that.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 2

I'm fine with micro transaction as long as they lead to free DLC. A lot of games now days do it that way, some don't. I'd rather optional micro transaction for content than forced purchases.

Guess we'll just have to wait and see which one this will be lol. There's precedent for no free content since WB has almost always used the "money for nothing" model in games like MK and Injustice. But there's also some precedent for free content since Monolith is one of the few WB companies that has done it in the past. Guess we'll have to wait and see...

Hmm. As many have pointed out, this model shouldn't be included in a single player. Even being a mp game I'd like to mention one particular game, SFV said that you could get EVERYTHING in the game with ingame currency and later they released premium content which was only available with real money. I wouldn't be surprised that WB release a Holiday package that we can't buy with gold.

I'd really like that this gold model don't be intrusive but I doubt it. :/

And finally I'd like to know how long will be the grind for the platinum now that this model has been implemented in the game.

Edited by GoldenShaka

24 minutes ago, GoldenShaka said:

Hmm. As many have pointed out, this model shouldn't be included in a single player. Even being a mp game I'd like to mention one particular game, SFV said that you could get EVERYTHING in the game with ingame currency and later they released premium content which was only available with real money. I wouldn't be surprised that WB release a Holiday package that we can't buy with gold.

I'd really like that this gold model don't be intrusive but I doubt it. :/

And finally I'd like to know how long will be the grind for the platinum now that this model has been implemented in the game.

Talking about SFV, i wonder if anyone ever managed to get all non-Premium stuff with the in-game currency...

23 minutes ago, T87 said:

Talking about SFV, i wonder if anyone ever managed to get all non-Premium stuff with the in-game currency...

No idea, especially because i don't play mp that much lol. I just stick to survival to get some colors, but got annoyed that the color you obtain depends on the costume you're wearing in the matches. I thought i was going to get 3rd, fourth or fifth color for all costumes of that fighter.