Why do old games have more owners than new ones?

REAPER4536

I can understand that old games have much more time to generate a fan base and much more people have the opportunity to buy it. On the other the amount of gamers who start playing video games also grow up higher and higher so shouldn't new games or old PS4 games get an higher owner rate than games like BO1?

I literally don't get it,  for me it seems obvious that games like Destiny should have a higher ownership than those PS3 games.

Edited by REAPER4536

Blops 1 is one of the highest selling games of all time, I don't think Destiny ever got near the amount that Blops sold. There are 80 million or so PlayStation 3 systems, 50 million or so PlayStation 4 systems, so really popular PS3 games are going to have more owners than popular PS4 games.

Parker

• Like 1

Which games in particular? It may seem obvious to you that Destiny should have a huge ownerbase, but that doesn't mean it's gonna beat years sales and levels of hype still not seen since then. Modern Warfare 2 broke records left and right in terms of sales, I don't know how old you are but a lot of people grew up on the first modern warfare as well. So you have the inital boom of people buying games like MW2 and the blops series, add years and years on top of that that and you have the numbers we have now. Destiny is an online only game, requires expansions and a high retention rate for the game to be played properly. The CoD games dont need any of that, even the smallest of barriers is still a barrier. 

Since you have to be online to be even counted in the Destiny numbers, the PS3 numbers are actually bigger than the number you see right now because of all the people that bought the game but never went online or shared it between their friends. 

Edited by BHK3

I wouldn't agree even if you said GTA V, but Destiny? really?

In my humble opinion, there are many people that unlike us only want 2 or 3 games to pass the time, those being GTA V, because you know, it's GTA. Then you have the famous shooter every guy and their mom has, which happens to be CoD. And then whatever sports game you like best.

Just easy to get into games that you can play casually and with friends, it's just what the average guy that kinda likes games has. At least that's how I see it

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, HardXDXtraga said:

I wouldn't agree even if you said GTA V, but Destiny? really?

In my humble opinion, there are many people that unlike us only want 2 or 3 games to pass the time, those being GTA V, because you know, it's GTA. Then you have the famous shooter every guy and their mom has, which happens to be CoD. And then whatever sports game you like best.

Just easy to get into games that you can play casually and with friends, it's just what the average guy that kinda likes games has. At least that's how I see it

It's been this way for a long time.

The Super Mario Brothers series, Call of Duty, Grand Theft Auto, three hugely successful franchises that are among the best selling series of all time. People on average don't tend to have too many games. They'll play online on Call of Duty, or just mess around in Grand Theft Auto and call it a day.

We're the slim minority who go out of their way to get objectives in order to get those trophies, and eventually the platinum. Most people don't do that. Surely most of us are average in how we live day to day life, and we enjoy games as much as anybody else does. We strive for completion, not everybody here on this website does but a lot of us do.

A lot of those people with Black Ops never bothered to register on this website, and out of those who did sign up, few of them bothered to go after most of the trophies.

Just because it's popular doesn't mean it's good. I've played hugely popular games that I thought were complete garbage, and I've played hidden gems that barely anybody knows about because they never got the exposure that they probably deserved. That's just how the world is. You may be lucky, but most of the time you're not lucky enough to stand out in a crowd. Call of Duty and Grand Theft Auto attract the masses, but that doesn't necessarily mean they're great. They're hugely popular.

The Playstation 3 has had more time to gain a bigger fanbase than the Playstation 4. We're still going to get triple A releases for the next two - three years, that is until the Playstation 5 comes along and then the big developers are going to focus their attention on that console. Black Ops 1 and inFamous, among other games have had many years to build up the number of game owners. Grand Theft Auto V has many owners because it's Grand Theft Auto. People go out and buy those games because it has the Rockstar label, which immediately means to them that it HAS to be good. That doesn't mean it really IS good. All those returned copies of LA Noire proved that, because idiots thought it would be another blow up, shoot em up game like Grand Theft Auto IV, only it wasn't that kind of game, and it was made by Team Bondi, not Rockstar.

My thought was that the increase of total players is higher per year than the increase of players who buy a game years after release. Of course old games have an extremely high lead than games who got released 2 days ago but games who got released 1-2 years ago should be very close to the old games. Ok To compare destiny with Black ops 1 isn't the best idea but still it shouldn't be that far behind ( on psn profiles destiny has 50% amount of owners what Black ops 1 has). 

For me it's weird that today's AAA titles get not even close to old AAA titles ( in a few of 2 years after release of today's AAA titles )

PS. I'm not comparing total Sells/Owners, I'm comparing PSN-Profiles owners 

4 hours ago, REAPER4536 said:

My thought was that the increase of total players is higher per year than the increase of players who buy a game years after release. Of course old games have an extremely high lead than games who got released 2 days ago but games who got released 1-2 years ago should be very close to the old games. Ok To compare destiny with Black ops 1 isn't the best idea but still it shouldn't be that far behind ( on psn profiles destiny has 50% amount of owners what Black ops 1 has). 

For me it's weird that today's AAA titles get not even close to old AAA titles ( in a few of 2 years after release of today's AAA titles )

PS. I'm not comparing total Sells/Owners, I'm comparing PSN-Profiles owners 

I haven't been here as long as others. Playstationtrophies.org has been around for a long while now, with many of their established members having joined back in 2008 - 2009. Many people prefer the PSNPROFILES signature as opposed to the PST.org one. Maybe a lot of people left and therefore there aren't as many active members as there used to be. I don't know, I wasn't here several years ago to know about that.

The top 20 - 50 games with the most owners are/were hugely popular, and therefore I'm not surprised to see they have a large number of game owners. I'm surprised games like Until Dawn made it to the front page (PS4) I know it was just a PS Plus title last month but I felt it was more of a niche title that not a whole lot of people would get into. I guess I was wrong.

Edited by Spaz

The longer the game has been out, the more opportunities a single unit can get into the hands of more than one person. Whether that be through a used game shop or a friend letting someone borrow a game.

For example, let's say Game A sells 1 mil units. Then let's say every year, 500k get resold. That means every year the number of players goes up 500k. If a new game, Game B, sells 2 mil units, but came out 5 years after Game A, it's going to behind by 2.5 million players. So, Game A will have more players as long as it continues to be distributed. These are obviously made up numbers, but this is essentially why older games have more players.