What is your favorite Final Fantasy game?

Mr_MovieMan29

Favorite Final Fantasy?.  

348 members have voted

1. 1. Pick it!

• Final Fantasy
    • Final Fantasy II
    • Final Fantasy III
    • Final Fantasy IV
    • Final Fantasy V
    • Final Fantasy VI
    • Final Fantasy VII
    • Final Fantasy VIII
    • Final Fantasy IX
    • Final Fantasy X
    • Final Fantasy XI
    • Final Fantasy XII
    • Final Fantasy XIII
    • Final Fantasy XIII-2
    • Final Fantasy XIV
    • One of the Final Fantasy Legends
    • Final Fantasy Mystic Quest
    • Final Fantasy Tactics

Wow, what a difficult question, but I would say FF IV holds a special place in my heart. I played it after the remake versions of 1 & 2 in the GBA (the first FF game I played), and, well, it was incredible. I don't know how many time I played it. It's just incredible. Then I played FF III and loved. It's hard to decide between these two. My third favourite game would be XIII. Right now I'm playing FF X for the first time, and to be honest, is as liner as FF XIII, though I'm not saying it's a bad thing, only wondering why the later has so bad reputation.

All in all, I'd have to choose IV  :blush:

Edit: just wondering, why isn't Lighting returns not listed here?

Edited by Carlver

I played almost all of them and, to be honest, I was torn between FF VII and Tactics.

Tactics, however, takes my vote. Simple, charming, with a plot that has no flaws and an incredible soundtrack. I hope I never get to see a remake of this (just like I dont want a remake of Rock N' Roll Racing).

FFX is the last Final Fantasy prior to the series becoming ADD Fantasy.

Final Fantasy 1-3 = 8-bit shallow games, honestly, though highly enjoyable and ahead of their time.

Final Fantasy 4-6 = Revolutionized storytelling with FF4, then gameplay focused FF5 (though great), then the masterpiece that is FF6 with a compelling story, fantastic characters, great gameplay, amazing settings.

Final Fantasy 7-10 = More modern, yet have some of the old charm. FFX was a large step away from the formula but it succeeded, in my opinion. They played with fire and didn't burn themselves. Never did feel like a Final Fantasy game to me though, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

FF12 tried to be an MMO like FF11, which wasn't all bad, but would've been better in a spin off game or original IP. Then 13 came and it introduced the series to terminal cancer. It wanted desperately to be an edgy anime with jpop acting and incredibly stupid characters. Final Fantasy turned into Backflip Fantasy, with people doing over-the-top crap like it's an anime, with a bunch of Japanese grunts, moans, drama, and other silly childish crap that was a drag to play. I finished FF13 to give it an honest chance, but it was just complete and total garbage compared to the much more mature FF6, for instance.

In short. FF6 = epic fantasy story with believable characters, issues and personalities you can relate to, with a defined mature culture and setting. FF13 = teenager circle jerk of characters who do acrobatic shit like in DBZ, hamfisted emotion, a world nobody gives a damn about without any sign of life/culture, a story that is ridiculous and convoluted, linear without development, horrendous "press X" battle mechanic, lack of end game, etc etc. Just a total disappointment. From what I recall, neither Celes or Terra ever did backflips while being broody, yet they are infinitely deeper, more fleshed out, more believable, and just plain better than someone who calls herself "Lightning" because she's emo.

Also, Mystic Quest honestly gets more hate than it deserves, though it's admittedly a very shallow adventure that was made solely because Japan thought the US wasn't experienced enough with RPGs, so they made something that practically played itself. Same reason FF2 (IV) for the SNES was heavily edited and simplified in the US. FF3 (VI) was the first game they released without dumbing it down for the US audience.

Edited by Paige-ID

Nobody talks about 5 even though it is one of the more complex and difficult final fantasies.

*raise hands* I do talk about 5 whenever I could...(like this) it's one of my fave FF games TBH... (First game to have Blue Mage and of course... Giglamesh). Bartz is my all time fave FF main hero of all time so far(of course if Vivi, Vanille and Yuffie are main.. they would be)... I do still wish that this will be remastered/reboot'd so that others could enjoy it like I did...

btw... I was a bit surprised that X is leading so far...

*raise hands* I do talk about 5 whenever I could...(like this) it's one of my fave FF games TBH... (First game to have Blue Mage and of course... Giglamesh). Bartz is my all time fave FF main hero of all time so far(of course if Vivi, Vanille and Yuffie are main.. they would be)... I do still wish that this will be remastered/reboot'd so that others could enjoy it like I did...

btw... I was a bit surprised that X is leading so far...

Considering Bartz has the depth of a shotglass, can I (legitimately) ask why he's your favorite? I finished 5 a long time ago but remember nothing of Bartz, or FF5 for that matter, having a very fleshed out story/characters. I always felt FF5 favored gameplay over story, with FF4 being the opposite, then FF6 being the perfect balance between both.

Considering Bartz has the depth of a shotglass, can I (legitimately) ask why he's your favorite? I finished 5 a long time ago but remember nothing of Bartz, or FF5 for that matter, having a very fleshed out story/characters. I always felt FF5 favored gameplay over story, with FF4 being the opposite, then FF6 being the perfect balance between both.

that is actually one of the reason why I liked him and the series, the characters and story is not that complicated... plus...

-has a chocobo as side kick xD

-easy going and friendly nature (reason why I like Vanille, Yuffie, Zell etc.)

I've never really been able to put my finger on my favorite.

FF4 is always special to me cause it's the first one I ever beat and I still replay it once a year or so. Nostalgia is a powerful thing.

I always really enjoyed FF8 too despite not being the most loved. I really enjoyed the junction system and triple triad is a blast.

FF9 is another one. I love the art style, characters, and the story. It also had great pacing.

FF12 had amazing end game and a pretty solid story. I liked it a lot.

FF13-2 was probably the biggest surprise in the series for me. I loved the story, I loved catching monsters, I enjoyed the end game a lot. I was blown away by the game despite going into it thinking I would hate it.

6 and 10 are also pretty high on my list.

It's just sooo hard to decide my favorite in a series that I've loved most of my life.

I know 2 and 7 are my least favorites. That end of the list is a little less competitive lol.

Eh? I think I mentioned FFV several times in this thread. But really, it's no wonder why people don't mention it when it wasn't released outside Japan on SNES. I played the PS1 version of it. I wouldn't say among the most difficult, that prize goes to FFII and FFIV IMO, but the job system was great! :)

I was referring to a general tendency in the gaming community, not an individual in a thread. I know it's hard to believe, but not everyone reads every post in every thread. That aside, it is hard to believe that V gets virtually no recognition despite being widely available in the West for nearly two decades. When I was referring to V's difficulty I was not taking into consideration the Japanese version of iv nor ii which I've never played. .

No Dissidia or Crisis Core in the vote :(

They're the only 2 (with tactics) that I really like. Not really a fan of the numbered games, they don't resonate with me for some reason.

9 was ok. 10 was ok (apart from Tidus), 13 was bearable, 13-2 was the worst.

Crisis Core is by far my favourite though.  Fucking love that game, can we get a PS4 or Vita port, even if it's just a PSP classic or something.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

FFX - Very emotional story with great soundtrack especially the main theme having spent about 600 hours total in the PS2 and PS3 versions combined.

FFVII - First game ever played from the FF series and discovered the world of JRPGs. Great complicated story with twists and turns. Can't wait for the remake

FFVI - Engrossing story with great cast of characters and personally considered one of the best before transition to the 3D era.

FFVIII - Interesting school setting with a good romance story and loved the main character development.

FFIV - Great Love theme

FFIX - Deep story involving the crystals with interesting characters.

FFXIII - Grand scale game with superb graphics and interesting fast-paced battle system. Story is a bit confusing to understand but overall a good game.