Worth playing in VR?

Tanguy7

Hi everyone,

I'm thinking about starting this game and I wanted to know if it was worth playing it in VR. Will I be less effective by playing VR? Does it remove something to the game? I'm aiming for the plat so I was thinking about doing only one of my runs in VR anyway, but it might be an issue to follow a guide for the collectibles.

Thanks for the advices!

From what my friend told me yes it's absolutely worth playing in VR. You have to do normally minimum of 3 playthroughs anyway, so you can do first playthrough on normal with VR, just playing at your own pace doing what you can. Second playthrough do speedrun while cleaning up collectibles (very reasonable to do), then use some alternate saves if you need to get some of the misc combat stuff. Then last playthrough on madhouse and get the plat. 

• Like 3

I don't have a VR but I can tell you that it is the only game worth playing in VR and the only reason to buy one in my opinion. Based on what other people say on various gaming forums, Resi 7 in VR is meant to be an incredible experience. As @Gage mentioned, you have to do multiple playthroughs so might as well do one of them in VR.

I've yet to try VR in any capacity, but having just recently platted it, I'd recommend playing your first run as blind as possible in VR. I was trying to hold out on playing the game until I had my own VR headset, but I decided I couldn't wait. The game is so damn good.

I also prefer the game with a headset as opposed to my surround sound, you can hear all the little details better.

Edited by MagicSandwych

I would defintnitely recommend a first playthrough in VR. It will make simple things like opening doors and walking into the dark much more intense. The action coming from you out of your peripheral vision is terrifying. I recommend if you are going to play standing to clear a good space. I accidentally walked into a door after a nasty scare and whacked my head so hard with the headset I got a black eye ?

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Miles_Warren said:

I don't have a VR but I can tell you that it is the only game worth playing in VR and the only reason to buy one in my opinion. Based on what other people say on various gaming forums, Resi 7 in VR is meant to be an incredible experience. As @Gage mentioned, you have to do multiple playthroughs so might as well do one of them in VR.

So you don't even own VR yet you have the opinion that Resident Evil 7 is the only game worth playing in VR and the only reason to buy one.  Is that correct?  Please explain to me how you came to this opinion without even owning the tech?  How is it even possible to form an opinion on something of which you have no experience?  If you have tried every VR game via someone else's unit please tell me how much time you've had with it and how you came to your conclusion?  I'm really curious.  Also, it is my opinion that your opinion is wrong.  

To OP, VR is the absolute best way to "experience" RE7.  I got the plat using VR for every run except the speed run, and even that felt wrong.  

If you can, play standing.  Like Shai said, find a safe way to play standing as it is the most immersive way to play.  It will probably be a bit much at first but you'll get used to it.

Edited by angelgrievous
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Senor_T_Dub said:

Heads up that this game caused me substantially more motion sickness than any other. You walk with the left stick, rotate the camera with the right and move your head to look around. It works well but made me really sick and I had to stop.

It's funny I have heard mixed views on this game with motion sickness. Unfortunately most VR games make me sick but this was one of the few that didn't. It seems so personal on which games make one sick and which don't. I just hope as the technology improves more games manage to find the right balance

5 hours ago, angelgrievous said:

So you don't even own VR yet you have the opinion that Resident Evil 7 is the only game worth playing in VR and the only reason to buy one.  Is that correct?  Please explain to me how you came to this opinion without even owning the tech?  How is it even possible to form an opinion on something of which you have no experience?  If you have tried every VR game via someone else's unit please tell me how much time you've had with it and how you came to your conclusion?  I'm really curious.  Also, it is my opinion that your opinion is wrong.  

I did say "in my opinion" which I guess is open for debate. Unfortunately, Resi 7 is the only game that I would be interested in playing in VR as I am a fan of the horror genre and, based on what friends and various people say on forums, would be an amazing experience. Heck, even you said it in your post so I'm not wrong. Of the three people I personally know that have a VR, each of them have barely touched the machine since they bought it and two of them told me they regret purchasing it in the first place. However, all them agreed that playing Resi 7 in VR was one of their most amazing gaming experiences. Even looking through your profile I can tell you've barely touched your VR machine too. You've only completed the first mission in Farpoint and didn't bother completing Bartman: Arkham VR or Tumble VR yet you said you've gotten the plat in Resi 7 using VR. What does that tell you?

Oh, and I never said I don't have any experience playing VR. I have played games like Eagle Flight and Farpoint on my friends VR headset but unfortunately I get goggle eyed after a while.

Hi guys,

Just did the first mission with VR and here is a quick feedback :

- very immersive

- scary at first but you get used to it. VR allows you to get a glance around corners before moving forward

- I think your first playthrough will be slightly longer with VR due to the 2 comments above (you definitely take your time)

- I played in between 60 and 90' then needed to do a break which is ideal to go and check guides/trophies for the next part if required

- VR interface looks fine and intuitive until now, but as said, might require more breaks than for a normal playthrough

Thats it for my first impression, I'll let you know if I have more comments as I progress through the game.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

VR is jaw-dropping in this game. Only way to play RE7. Tried playing without the VR and it was just the same near-boring experience like Outlast and hundreds of other clones. But VR changes everything, You honestly forget you're sitting in your room during this.

ps. My girlfriend dropped the headset after 5 minutes and almost puked, so prepare for dizziness.