When does the game consider you to be DEAD?

Kualaj1mb0

I'm doing my no death runs and I'm a fan of the 'exit to the map' tactic, where if you can pause the game right before you die and exit to the map, you can start the level again with zero penalties on the no death run. The only catch is you have to do it before you die, but I'm beginning to wonder, when does the game consider you dead? Is it the moment the sprite disappears? or the moment you respawn? Has anyone experimented with this? 

I'm writing a guide for no death runs at the moment so I've looked into this.. if you hear the audio cue, the sound that happens when you die, That's when you can consider your no death run over. 

The death animation starts a few frames after this sound, It happens very quick so it's difficult to spot while you're playing.

Edited by SlimSanta94
  • Like 1

• 4 years later...

I tried to be sneaky and test to see if quiting the level after you died worked but it doesn't, reckon I can do world 1 if I start with the "harder" levels first

I started Super Meat Boy up again yesterday and made some nice progress, didn't play on it much first time around but now I will :)