Microsoft updating achievements, "fundamental changes"

Valyrious

5 hours ago, madbuk said:

And if this is true, the system is even worse than I imagined and I didn't think that was possible. iOS pissed me off with this shit, I was playing Broken Sword and missed an achievement because I had no internet so I had to redo the entire game.

I do think that Steam is still worse, due to mods and abusing console commands, but it's a close contest, and Sony seem to be joining in on the initiative to make the worst system possible, dumb games like Mayo, 1000 Rated, Nubla, etc. are getting plats left and right and decent games that don't deserve plats like Artifex Mundi games are getting them as well.

Sony are still far behind in the worst achievement system contest though, thankfully.

Xbox One achievements that go wrong or are unlocked offline shouldn`t need to be redone as they should still unlock eventually when the servers work properly. Although I remember shortly after the release of Halo MCC there would be achievements that could get stuck and not pop until months after they had been earned, so yeah it is a really sucky system to do it on the server side rather than unlock on console then sync.

As for the games that don`t deserve plats... I really don`t mind that. I`m more annoyed when games do deserve plats but don`t get them since I`m not going to play the short crappy games for plats anyways, so I`d much rather all games get them than have some arbitrary rules which seem to constantly have exceptions made.

7 hours ago, madbuk said:

Microsoft have done some terrible things with the achievement system lately, such as giving every game 1000G. But the achievement tracker might just be the dumbest, which is saying a lot since the 1000G decision makes the whole system pointless in the first place.

The tracker is abusable. There's a trophy to beat every chapter on the highest difficulty? Let's say there are 20 chapters. The way achievements are tracked now means you can just do chapter 1 20 times. Or you can save before picking up a collectible and just pick up that same collectible over and over instead of getting the harder ones. It's fundamentally broken and abusable.

At least Microsoft is trying new things. Something more than can be said for Sony lol. Sony's big change to trophies this gen was "now you can see hidden trophies!!!". Yaaaay lol. At least Microsoft is taking risks, or at the very least, they're not completely ignoring a giant sub culture of gamers like Sony is. 

14 minutes ago, KingGuy420 said:

At least Microsoft is trying new things. Something more than can be said for Sony lol. Sony's big change to trophies this gen was "now you can see hidden trophies!!!". Yaaaay lol. At least Microsoft is taking risks, or at the very least, they're not completely ignoring a giant sub culture of gamers like Sony is. 

I'd rather Sony doesn't take risks if it ends up undoing, trivializing and ruining a perfectly functioning system like Xbox is currently going ahead and doing.

28 minutes ago, madbuk said:

I'd rather Sony doesn't take risks if it ends up undoing, trivializing and ruining a perfectly functioning system like Xbox is currently going ahead and doing.

That's a pretty ridiculous statement. 

1. It functions just fine. Whether someone wants to play 1 chapter 20 times or just play the 20 chapters, that has 0 impact on how I choose to do it.

2. You can't trivialize something that's already trivial. Trophies and achievements as a whole are already trivial. If you're putting more pressure on them than that, then that says more about you than the system.

When it comes to trophies, you should be worrying about what your doing and not what others are.

Edited by KingGuy420

1 minute ago, KingGuy420 said:

That's a pretty ridiculous statement. 

1. It functions just fine. Whether someone wants to play 1 chapter 20 times or just play the 20 chapters, that has 0 impact on how I choose to do it.

2. You can't trivialize something that's already trivial. Trophies and achievements as a whole are already trivial. If you're putting more pressure on them than that, then that says more about you than the system.

Gamerscore used to mean something. It still wasn't as good as platinums + trophy points, but it was still a good measurement. Now though? Every game has 1000G. It's abusable and makes it way too fast to get high gamerscores. Why play a 20 hour AAA game when you can play a 2 hour indie and be awarded just as much?

8 hours ago, madbuk said:

Microsoft have done some terrible things with the achievement system lately, such as giving every game 1000G. But the achievement tracker might just be the dumbest, which is saying a lot since the 1000G decision makes the whole system pointless in the first place.

The tracker is abusable. There's a trophy to beat every chapter on the highest difficulty? Let's say there are 20 chapters. The way achievements are tracked now means you can just do chapter 1 20 times. Or you can save before picking up a collectible and just pick up that same collectible over and over instead of getting the harder ones. It's fundamentally broken and abusable.

I posted a screenshot of this to a group with xbox people and this was their response.

Fi6np2R.png

Wyz6H77.png

EDIT: An additional response was added after I posted this.

4dlJ6gs.png

Edited by kuuhaku
additional info
  • Like 3

33 minutes ago, madbuk said:

Gamerscore used to mean something. It still wasn't as good as platinums + trophy points, but it was still a good measurement. Now though? Every game has 1000G. It's abusable and makes it way too fast to get high gamerscores. Why play a 20 hour AAA game when you can play a 2 hour indie and be awarded just as much?

Gamerscore and trophies have never meant anything outside of what you make of them. If you're adding a bunch of pressure to them, that's on you.

People would choose a 20 hour AAA game over a 2 hour indie because they're more interested in the 20 hour AAA game. Not everyone bases their gaming choices on trophies, and even if they do, how does that effect those who don't?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Kapika96 said:

What ever happened to not fixing something that isn`t broken? :P

That said, Xbox One achievements do have a fundamental flaw in that they require online servers to work. Can`t be unlocked offline and can have errors that prevent them from unlocking when they should. So how about fixing that?

It's not a fix, it's changing something. What, you shouldn't ever change anything if it isn't broken? That's just absurd.

12 hours ago, Phil said:

I refused to believe in what I read in your paragraph. I thought, "there's no way MS would be that retarded." I thought, "maybe hyperbole?" Nope, you weren't exaggerating or lying at all...

https://www.trueachievements.com/game/Netflix/achievements

I....I can't even respond to this. I think I'm now dumb and dumber for knowing this exists.

Don't think any Xbox gamer ever brags about achievement count though. It's all about gamerscore. And... well, you'd certainly have a point if that Netflix app gave 1000G of achievements. It doesn't, though.

Can't believe I have to defend Microsoft over this. I'm probably one of the biggest Microsoft "haters" out there. But at least I hate with good reason.

I'm laughing at all the people bringing up shit excuses for achievements in things that aren't games. Bet you these same people would LOVE it if platinums were given out in Netflix and watching movies. GOTTA LOVE HYPOCRITES!

17 hours ago, KingGuy420 said:

Xbox is already better in terms of achievements IMO. The stat tracking is infinitely better then what PlayStation is offering. It tracks time played, overall kill counts, etc. Also keeps track of progress on individual trophies. Not to mention a leaderboard that tracks friends, even down to who got more achievements that week and stuff. PlayStation could really learn a thing or two in the sense.

If they're expanding the achievement system even further, god bless them lol.

Gotta agree with these, even though I don't care too much about achievements on Xbox. My only issue with them is that achievements earned on 360 games can sometimes take a while to reflect on the Xbox One, and there was an incident about 2-3 years ago where I just randomly lost about 30g. Dunno how, dunno what game it was from, but I never got it back. Never had these issues with Playstation however.

But yes, I'd like to see a more in depth game tracking system on Playstation.

I'm not too sure what to think of this announcement at the moment, it could either be an improvement, nothing significantly different, or it could end up just making the achievement system overall worse.

I have a lot less faith in Microsoft than Sony, especially when they somehow keep ruining the Xbox One dashboard more and more with each new update to it.

10 hours ago, iamjax said:

Hopefully if this means they are going to further improve stat tracking, then PSN will take note.... WE NEED A GAME TIME COUNTER, first and foremost. I love that feature on most Xbox One games, where I can see the exact time played for most games that feature it in the main stats menu. There's also so many other cool things about the sub menus of the One that they really need to bring over to PSN.

While we are talking about things each console can takeaway from the other: One can learn a thing or two about how to do menu's and just general UI... they are changing the main menu AGAIN, and this one looks almost as terrible as the last ones they've piled on. I hate "window shopping" on the One, because unless you are knowing exactly what you are looking for... well.. forget it. I love the storefront way more on PSN.

Not a lot of balanced responses here, but I wanted to quote this because I agree with it. PSN needs better stat tracking. Some PS games have game time counters internally, but they almost always track the time the game has been open, which for me at least, is inflated (because I often leave games paused for awhile so I can eat dinner, give the kid a shower, etc.). I would love cool stats tracking.

And @iamjax has a good point about the Xbox One store also. I never had a Xbox 360 so I can't compare it, but the current store on the One is terrible.

Honestly I think both Sony and Microsoft need to change their current "stats" features beyond just achievements and trophies. Maybe Microsoft will make some interesting changes, or maybe it will get worse. I don't play my One that much so I don't really care, but I'm open to changes.

Since I jumped ship to PS3 and PS4 after my 360 broke, I have to say that I love the % tracker on trophies. Doesn't matter if its a Bronze or a Plat....seeing and getting trophies when you know not many have them gives me a little warm glow. Just me!

Would love something that tracked hours played in games. Gives bragging rights in some instances and can show where RPGs etc get the love of the playerbase.