Steam achievements and how ridiculous they are.

aZombieDictator

So I was watching one of my favorite YouTubers and he was just playing a bunch of Steam junk and he came across a game that literally has 10,000 achievements. He got about 400 of them in seconds. It took me years to get 10,000 trophies but on Steam you can get that many in minutes. I never had a good view on Steam achievements but this made it even worse. 

What are your thoughts on stuff like this? I typically just shrug it off but I felt like showing this off cause 10,000 achievements in a game is just insane.

Here's the link to the game.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/628490/Zen_vs_Zombie_Achievment_Hunter/

Ok so I looked through the store page and apparently you can buy 37,000 more achievements in that game. So that would be a game that exists with around 50,000 achievements.

Edited by aZombieDictator
  • Like 2

Just now, Undead Wolf said:

And people wonder why others are so against games like My Name is Mayo, 1000 Top Rated, etc. It's because we don't want trophies to turn into this garbage.

I highly doubt Sony would let it happen. Luckily only about four games made it through like that. But hopefully Sony can put limits on games like those though.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, BlindMango said:

I really hope Sony tightens their quality control and stop these recent... questionable games from releasing on the PlayStation Store, otherwise the trophy system will be devalued by junk like this. :facepalm: 

Yeah I hope so. It seems like only recently trash like energy cycle and top rated got into the store. Maybe they'll realize the mistake of going lenient on some developers.

1 minute ago, nyantzu1986 said:

aren't there 1230 points cap?(with plat), max it could be is 70,  and even with tons of dlcs probably 150-200 max

That was sarcasm lol :P

This is basically just the way scammers moved after Valve came down on people abusing trading cards in greenlight game to make money. Now they just make copy paste games with thousands of achievements that pop instantly because people will spend money on that. 

With how much negative attention this is already getting I would hope that Valve would clamp down on this much sooner than they did with the trading card abuse. 

This is also part of why I prefer the trophy system to both achievements on Xbox and steam. MS got real loose with what they allow starting with the XB1, and achievements on Steam have absolutely no rules or control (and are extremely easy to cheat). Trophies with the way their set up at least have a hard number limit on what is allowed, and Sony seems to have strict rules most of the time on what devs can do for dlc trophies so they can't just spam lists with tons of them for nothing. 

Edited by Gage
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, nyantzu1986 said:

aren't there 1230 points cap?(with plat), max it could be is 70,  and even with tons of dlcs probably 150-200 max

driveclub have almost 5k points worth of trophies ^^ 26 gold and it's a sony published game :l

2 minutes ago, Shadiochao said:

Valve stepped in and added a cap of 5000 achievements per game, so I think this problem is pretty much sorted now.

Well that's good, but 5,000 is still an insane amount. That's about half the trophies I have on PlayStation.

Edited by aZombieDictator
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Shadiochao said:

Valve stepped in and added a cap of 5000 achievements per game, so I think this problem is pretty much sorted now.

...is that supposed to solve anything? "5000 easy cheevos for just <price>!" still sounds like a sales pitch many talentless devs are likely to make. Just make it like 100 + a few extra with every DLC.

2 minutes ago, TooruPT said:

...is that supposed to solve anything? "5000 easy cheevos for just <price>!" still sounds like a sales pitch many talentless devs are likely to make. Just make it like 100 + a few extra with every DLC.

Yeah I feel like 5,000 still let's these people sell crap games for achievements. I wonder how many people have a million achievements cause of games like these lol.

Sure it's kinda silly, but if people want to spend their own money on garbage like that it doesn't really bother me. If that's what they enjoy good on them. I find in general most steam users don't put that much importance on achievements / trophies compared to the way console users do, so it's really a small minority of players that are gunning for these games, and in many cases people just get them for free or in 1$ bundles.

The main issue isn't the players playing these games for easy achievements but the Devs creating these games to make card farms for income.

59 minutes ago, imOvray said:

driveclub have almost 5k points worth of trophies ^^ 26 gold and it's a sony published game :l

But it is 5k points with content in Driveclub. You have to work for these trophies. Some of them pretty hard in my opinion. Huge amount of points are not the bad thing , its the way how you unlock them.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dragon-Archon said:

But only if they all pop within 1 minute and have 30 other stackable trophy lists :awesome: .

There has to be cloud save sync too like Sound Shapes. No way I'm working for those trophies 30 times over. Even if they're just a minute!

Oh yeah btw another stupid easy list just popped up... More energy balance/cycle lists. What the heck even is the developer doing and how did he get this many lists in such a short time?

I've heard of those games. Some of them pop so many achievements the game just locks up or crashes. It's all because of Valve getting rid of Greenlight and replacing it with Steam Direct. It had slight merit before it was added, since it was going to cost a game developer $1000-$5000 to submit a game, but the small indie developers cried and whined so it got lowered to $100. So now, anyone with $100 can just upload their game to Steam. It's crazy, there's been 1000+ games added to Steam in less than 2 months.

1 minute ago, Caesar Clown said:

I've heard of those games. Some of them pop so many achievements the game just locks up or crashes. It's all because of Valve getting rid of Greenlight and replacing it with Steam Direct. It had slight merit before it was added, since it was going to cost a game developer $1000-$5000 to submit a game, but the small indie developers cried and whined so it got lowered to $100. So now, anyone with $100 can just upload their game to Steam. It's crazy, there's been 1000+ games added to Steam in less than 2 months.

The only good thing about that stupid system is the Youtubers digging through the trash and making hilarious videos about it lol. I wonder who's making more money with this system, the YouTubers or the devs.