Steam achievements and how ridiculous they are.

aZombieDictator

19 minutes ago, aZombieDictator said:

There has to be cloud save sync too like Sound Shapes. No way I'm working for those trophies 30 times over. Even if they're just a minute!

Oh yeah btw another stupid easy list just popped up... More energy balance/cycle lists. What the heck even is the developer doing and how did he get this many lists in such a short time?

You see, Energy Cycle looked like an actual game that just happens to have a glitch that makes the plat a joke... but then they released it in EU with the same glitch without any fixes.

Even without a glitch it still shouldn't have had a platinum though, it's a small puzzle game. Not every game needs or warrants a platinum.

Just now, madbuk said:

You see, Energy Cycle looked like an actual game that just happens to have a glitch that makes the plat a joke... but then they released it in EU with the same glitch without any fixes.

Even without a glitch it still shouldn't have had a platinum though, it's a small puzzle game. Not every game needs or warrants a platinum.

Yeah I really wish games like these didn't have Platinums, and when they do there's always multiple lists. Like world of nubla has like 6 lists. This is the the miniature version of the steam achievements.

This is part of the reason why I couldn't care less about Steam achievements, they're effectively meaningless, especially with some larger games having no achievements and small games having insane amounts. I'll list five of the bigger games in my Steam library that have no achievements.

• Saints Row 2
  • X-Blades
  • The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
  • Kerbal Space Program
  • Conan Exiles (This is still early access, so that could be why)

The Steam game I have with the most achievements is Train Simulator, which was gifted to me by a friend, it has 979 achievements total, there's no way I would have the patience to try get that many achievements for one game.

Edited by Lady Blanc
Spelling errors.
  • Like 1

I tried considering going for steam achievements but.. They just don't give the same satisfaction as trophies are for me.
There's no separation of what easy and difficult trophies are or such, there's no real care in it, just, here's a bunch of shit you can do if you want to.

If they made it more interesting, I'd probably try get more there as well!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hehe I found another one while looking at someone's profile this morning: http://store.steampowered.com/app/656270/Its_Village/

Anyway, in general not all achievements on steam are ridiculous, and most legitimate games take themselves seriously and add real achievements. I can understand why people on PC would still care about those ones, my best friend got all the achievements in Binding of Isaac Rebirth (which I bought for him for his birthday <3) and it's something he's really proud of :3

But.... Nothing to be proud of about getting all the achievements in It's Village :P

One thing I dislike about achievements on steam though is it's okay to put in one's that can't be unlocked. I like to 100% games on steam just as much as I like to on console when I can, but I'll never get all the achievements for Hate Plus, the sequel to Analogue A Hate Story, because Christine love decided to put an unobtainable achievement in the list as social commentary or something. At least make them all obtainable if they're going to be there >________< I understand it happens on console too, but in most cases that's a bug and if it had been noticed during the Sony compliance check the game would have never gotten through submission. But sometimes they do get passed.

I got all the trophies in Isaac minus the DLC stuff. Fuck the keeper. And damn that sucks. The thing that really soured me on Steam Achievements was that there's a program you can get and it takes 5 minutes max to download and use it to unlock any achievement you want and there's no way to tell if they were unlocked legit or not. Unless if you sit there looking at time stamps lol. But just the ease of cheating steam achievements makes me look down upon them. And I know you can hack PlayStation trophies but it's a lot more effort and it's easier to get caught, especially on this site.

The whole Steam Achievement option is complete bullshit.

If trophy hunters on Playstation consoles make up a small minority (and they do, we all know this), then achievement hunters on Steam make up an even smaller minority.

Even then, the achievements are all over the place. I have Age of Empires II on Steam, one of my childhood favorite RTS games. The game has achievements that are utterly ridiculous like win 1000 online battles, beat the Japanese 100 times, etc etc. I don't know anybody in their right mind who would go after these achievements. When you do earn all the achievements in something like say, Half Life 2, that's basically it. There's no real reward for going after them.

At least for Playstation, you get platinums. Without trophies, Youtube channels PS4Trophies (Brian aka Wozamil from .org) and Powerpyx would cease to exist.

• Like 2

This is exactly why I don't trophy hunt on Steam, I do find some of those games enjoyable but there's no way in hell I'm sitting earning hundreds or even thousands of achievements. Sid Meier's Civilization V is a pretty good example of a game I enjoy, but I don't have the time to dedicate earning every single one of the 286 achievements no matter how much I enjoyed the game. In a sense it works out pretty well for me because if I ever get burnt out trophy hunting I can jump on Steam and play something without bothering about the achievements, though I usually create a separate save file for playing casually on PS too but sometimes the change of platform and genre is nice since I mostly use Steam for simulation and more casual games that I don't buy or aren't available on PS4 which brings me to my next point. 

While I would agree that games with thousands of achievements may devalue the trophy system if such a game were released on PS I'd be more worried if these games where to become popular and lead to a lower quality of game overall. As I said above I think some of these games are enjoyable, on the other hand there's an incredible amount of garbage on Steam that I feel outweighs the good and I'd hate to see that on PS. The amount of pages I've scrolled through before I find something worth playing....ugh. 

I can see the benefit from a trophy hunters perspective who cares about their rank, imagine how much you'd jump up if you could play games with 100 easy bronze trophies. That part, as a trophy hunter doesn't affect me too much. I fully accept that I have neither the time, resources and on occasion, skill to compete at the upper echelons of the leaderboards and I have no interest in doing so. I can imagine someone with a pretty good rank being pissed off when someone overtakes their 100 platinums account with a barrage of bronzes from whatever half coded piece of shit managed to get greenlighted though.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MAUSZX said:

The reason is that you can basically put some kind of command, let's say you can hack the system of almost every game, steam achievements are basically ignored because anyone can just hack the hell out of it, without a lot of pc knowledge.

Exactly! I know almost nothing about using programs and stuff but I found a client that even a baby could use to unlock any steam achievement you want. You could even lock the achievements too. That alone killed everything about steam achievements for me.

On 10/3/2017 at 4:31 AM, Dr_Shaneman said:

So does Valve generally not care about this or are they that oblivious?

I never understood why they don't have some kind of realistic cap instead of the silly one they have now. Which sounds like they put in just to say "We have a an achievement cap".

Considering that SAM exists and that they only recently put a limit on the number of achievements [and even then it's still a high number],  I'm betting on the former.  Valve added them in response to their popularity on the 360, same with other companies adding in their own version of platform-wide achievement system (iOS, Android, Sony, etc.)

I do like getting them if it's reasonable, but at the same time they don't bother me the same way other platforms' do.  Which is a relief since there's some achievements I can never get due to a dead/non-existent online section.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Fernandez5 said:

Considering that SAM exists and that they only recently put a limit on the number of achievements [and even then it's still a high number],  I'm betting on the former.  Valve added them in response to their popularity on the 360, same with other companies adding in their own version of platform-wide achievement system (iOS, Android, Sony, etc.)

I do like getting them if it's reasonable, but at the same time they don't bother me the same way other platforms' do.  Which is a relief since there's some achievements I can never get due to a dead/non-existent online section.

I like to see a trophy/achievement list that's had thought put into it though rather than just what they plucked out of their ass for the sake of it.

On 8/12/2017 at 4:20 AM, aZombieDictator said:

Yeah I hope so. It seems like only recently trash like energy cycle and top rated got into the store. Maybe they'll realize the mistake of going lenient on some developers.

Ummm... Energy Cycle is MEANT to be like a 5-10 hour plat (depending on how good you are at puzzles). The only reason it is 8-20 minutes is cause of a glitch. The devs didn't just put it there to be an easy af plat.

• 4 weeks later...

I just got my steam acct. up and running a couple weeks ago and holy shit

Jamestown 100% on steam is insane, the platinum is so much easier compared to the steam achievements, holy fak.

A few stick out like beat judgment without getting hit ? just beating the Gauntlet on divine took some practice on psn,

YES STEAM IS NUTS but the whoring ones are bit ridiculous, but all mediums have those.

Edited by Galactic Balls

Firstly let me just say I only go for trophies if I just happen to be in the mood, they don't really shape my gaming habits.

Steam achievements have always been a joke, there's loads of way to hack/modify games or achievements. Think about it like this we're all in a race, mods/hacks will be like taking drugs. There is at least attempts at making us have a fair race on PSN due to the fact that ceats in games typically disable trophies or too look at it another way, there's nothing available in the base game others don't all have access too in terms of normal gameplay. I know a lot of my PC gamer friends though trophies were completely pointless just because of how much of a joke steam makes them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Superbuu3 said:

Firstly let me just say I only go for trophies if I just happen to be in the mood, they don't really shape my gaming habits.

Steam achievements have always been a joke, there's loads of way to hack/modify games or achievements. Think about it like this we're all in a race, mods/hacks will be like taking drugs. There is at least attempts at making us have a fair race on PSN due to the fact that ceats in games typically disable trophies or too look at it another way, there's nothing available in the base game others don't all have access too in terms of normal gameplay. I know a lot of my PC gamer friends though trophies were completely pointless just because of how much of a joke steam makes them.

Exactly! Steam and PC makes achievements completely worthless because of those reasons in my opinion. You can have 10,000 achievements on steam from one game, but if you have 10,000 trophies you'd have to have played hundreds of games.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, aZombieDictator said:

Exactly! Steam and PC makes achievements completely worthless because of those reasons in my opinion. You can have 10,000 achievements on steam from one game, but if you have 10,000 trophies you'd have to have played hundreds of games.

There certainly should be a limit to how many achievements a game has. I think sony having a hard limit on base game trophies being around 1000-1200 points is a good starting point. Although for it to be taken seriously it needs to also have a limit to stop games having platinums for 10 minutes of gameplay. I can see why they don't care, but it does bug me a little bit when it sounds like some devs were opposed by sony to even gettinga  platinum trophy on their game then joke games get a platinum.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Superbuu3 said:

There certainly should be a limit to how many achievements a game has. I think sony having a hard limit on base game trophies being around 1000-1200 points is a good starting point. Although for it to be taken seriously it needs to also have a limit to stop games having platinums for 10 minutes of gameplay. I can see why they don't care, but it does bug me a little bit when it sounds like some devs were opposed by sony to even gettinga  platinum trophy on their game then joke games get a platinum.

Well you can easily go check if people have all those quick easy Platinums or the harder/time consuming/worthwhile ones :P

On Steam you'll never know if someone used cheats or the program that auto unlocks achievements.

• Like 2