Steam achievements and how ridiculous they are.

aZombieDictator

Just now, aZombieDictator said:

Well you can easily go check if people have all those quick easy Platinums or the harder/time consuming/worthwhile ones :P

On Steam you'll never know if someone used cheats or the program that auto unlocks achievements.

But that would require input on my part :O, plus the only games I know have easy platinums are the ones where people bitch about like crazy on the forums. Plat rate on this site is screwy making some games have a high plat rate when its just a game trophy hunters love or were willing to push through (ratchet and Clank 2 has an insanely high plat rate, but i remember one of the races or gliding or something in that game was unbelievably hard to do). If you go by the PSN rate, plats are normally rare if there's just an odd action that isn't intuitive to the game, something like the darksiders running around on a horse way more than you would through normal gameplay.

But yeah true its nowhere near as bad as steam. I am really confused why people get satisfaction out of autounlocking trophies. I'm also confused by purchases of games solely for trophies when they don't like it. I mean just think how crazy a game with 10000 trophies on PSN would sell lol.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, aZombieDictator said:

Well you can easily go check if people have all those quick easy Platinums or the harder/time consuming/worthwhile ones :P

On Steam you'll never know if someone used cheats or the program that auto unlocks achievements.

Sometimes you can tell if somebody used SAM if they're dumb and unlocked all the achievements at the same time or out of order. Anyway, I used to game a lot more on PC but now I am pretty much Playstation only except for exclusives since I've come to enjoy trophies and this site so much. I don't mind the occasional "My Name is Mayo" but the current achievement situation on Steam is ridiculous. Also the big thing Steam achievements are missing is a sound when you unlock one! That's a big part of the enjoyment to me in both trophies and Xbox achievements.

Edited by Killbomb
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Killbomb said:

Also the big thing Steam achievements are missing is a sound when you unlock one! That's a big part of the enjoyment to me in both trophies and Xbox achievements.

I agree with the rest of your post, but this bit is brilliant.

As long as someone doesn't try to make out they are a hardcore gamer or make a point about their trophies and has the games like Mayo or whatever the newest thing is, I'm not bothered.

37 minutes ago, Superbuu3 said:

I agree with the rest of your post, but this bit is brilliant.

As long as someone doesn't try to make out they are a hardcore gamer or make a point about their trophies and has the games like Mayo or whatever the newest thing is, I'm not bothered.

Well I've got mayo on my profile but I've also got tons of other good games. I get a few shit plats here and there but I try and make most of my profile Platinums in games I enjoy.

58 minutes ago, aZombieDictator said:

Well I've got mayo on my profile but I've also got tons of other good games. I get a few shit plats here and there but I try and make most of my profile Platinums in games I enjoy.

Don't worry its not like you're bragging and you've got more than enough games on your profile to show your not just about that. But if anyone wants to brag while having 7 plats in sound shapes or other games that are terrible they should be prepared to be called out on it. I enjoyed the MP in Uncharted 3  and I couldnt even be bothered to go for the online trophies in that, so when people are spending money and time on things they don't like for trophies (actually i'd think the same of any activity gaming or otherwise) my mind is slightly blown.

• Like 2

Gotta love steam greenlight which allows these games to slip into the steam marketplace, the sure amount of crap that gets thrown onto the store is one reason why I have no problem just sticking to gaming on my PS4. No need to go back to Steam and throw more money at "finished" games. 

2 hours ago, Superbuu3 said:

Don't worry its not like you're bragging and you've got more than enough games on your profile to show your not just about that. But if anyone wants to brag while having 7 plats in sound shapes or other games that are terrible they should be prepared to be called out on it. I enjoyed the MP in Uncharted 3  and I couldnt even be bothered to go for the online trophies in that, so when people are spending money and time on things they don't like for trophies (actually i'd think the same of any activity gaming or otherwise) my mind is slightly blown.

Thanks! And yeah like all those crap game plats and people have profiles full of them. I was talking to someone with like 250 plats and I told them I did too many quick shitty games recently because a bunch were on sale and wanted to just get good Platinums and they didn't message me back lol. Their profile had like no fun games and a bunch of movies games...

I have three sound shapes Platinums, two were legit and third when I popped it I freaked out cause I had no idea that was a thing. And I do get crappy Platinums sometimes, but only when the games are on sale for cheap. And some I do actually enjoy. But I won't do any of that regional bullshit or stack several of the same game. Unless if it's a game I love like Borderlands or salt and Sanctuary and I have to so everything from scratch.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, aZombieDictator said:

Thanks! And yeah like all those crap game plats and people have profiles full of them. I was talking to someone with like 250 plats and I told them I did too many quick shitty games recently because a bunch were on sale and wanted to just get good Platinums and they didn't message me back lol. Their profile had like no fun games and a bunch of movies games...

I have three sound shapes Platinums, two were legit and third when I popped it I freaked out cause I had no idea that was a thing. And I do get crappy Platinums sometimes, but only when the games are on sale for cheap. And some I do actually enjoy. But I won't do any of that regional bullshit or stack several of the same game. Unless if it's a game I love like Borderlands or salt and Sanctuary and I have to so everything from scratch.

Considering Sound shapes is cross buy I don't think having 3 plats for it is a big deal, for any more than that youd have to go out of your way to make different region accounts and cross save those. I realy think the difficulty of that game is underplayed, death mode was horrible for me. I mean if you aren't going out of your way to pay for the game again (remasters on the newer platform due to the lack of BC have arguably a good reason for a repurchase) to get the trophies there's nothing wrong with playing it on two systems or twice. I know I played the first Sly and Jak game on Vita and PS3 because I realy like them the sequels not so much.

Regional stacking is weird because I don't see any logical reason to buy the exact same game twice and imports typically cost more. I can understand buying a game early in a foreign language as you might have to wait a year and then buying the english thats different though. Buying the english and american makes little to no sense. If I had a film on Blu ray I won't buy an american and english release I'd just watch my same version twice, just like i'd play my same game twice, which then clearly means the whole thing is just about trophies and not about playing the game again. I mean if you like trophies popping then you can just make an alt account nd platinum the game on there too.

7 sounds shapes kills it though as you have to have account shared or purchased the game digitall from 4 different countries and then cross saved and to top it off its digita so you can't even sell it on. So you paid money for a thing that takes like 10 seconds.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Superbuu3 said:

Considering Sound shapes is cross buy I don't think having 3 plats for it is a big deal, for any more than that youd have to go out of your way to make different region accounts and cross save those. I realy think the difficulty of that game is underplayed, death mode was horrible for me. I mean if you aren't going out of your way to pay for the game again (remasters on the newer platform due to the lack of BC have arguably a good reason for a repurchase) to get the trophies there's nothing wrong with playing it on two systems or twice. I know I played the first Sly and Jak game on Vita and PS3 because I realy like them the sequels not so much.

Regional stacking is weird because I don't see any logical reason to buy the exact same game twice and imports typically cost more. I can understand buying a game early in a foreign language as you might have to wait a year and then buying the english thats different though. Buying the english and american makes little to no sense. If I had a film on Blu ray I won't buy an american and english release I'd just watch my same version twice, just like i'd play my same game twice, which then clearly means the whole thing is just about trophies and not about playing the game again. I mean if you like trophies popping then you can just make an alt account nd platinum the game on there too.

7 sounds shapes kills it though as you have to have account shared or purchased the game digitall from 4 different countries and then cross saved and to top it off its digita so you can't even sell it on. So you paid money for a thing that takes like 10 seconds.

Pretty much. I spend a shit ton on games, some I won't even play because I'm a collector. But I ain't buying the same game multiple times just for trophies, well unless it's something I really like or a physical copy I don't have.

• Like 1

It didn't happen at once, the achievement situation, this all started happening with Greenlight and Devs realising they can sell junk games a lot easier if they put achievements in it. Very similar thing is happening on Xbox and PS, there are a lot of Japanese junk games people buy only to get easy Plats. Just like achievements on Steam, Plats don't really feel, at least to me, that valuable and I don't understand everyone's obsession with them. There are games you get Plats for very little effort and in other games you don't even get Plat for 100% but the game is damn hard/time-consuming.

40 minutes ago, theSpirae said:

It didn't happen at once, the achievement situation, this all started happening with Greenlight and Devs realising they can sell junk games a lot easier if they put achievements in it. Very similar thing is happening on Xbox and PS, there are a lot of Japanese junk games people buy only to get easy Plats. Just like achievements on Steam, Plats don't really feel, at least to me, that valuable and I don't understand everyone's obsession with them. There are games you get Plats for very little effort and in other games you don't even get Plat for 100% but the game is damn hard/time-consuming.

Spelunky comes to mind (for tough games that don't even have a platinum, i love that game so much). Regardless of if theres a point ot them or not, if people can find a way to compete some will obsess over them. I've seen a bunch of posts on here about people quitting gaming or taking a break due to the fact trophies took precedence over gaming and they eventually lost their love for gaming. That must really suck.

Edited by Superbuu3

5 minutes ago, Superbuu3 said:

Spelunky comes to mind. Regardless of if theres a point ot them or not, if people can find a way to compete some will obsess over them. I've seen a bunch of posts on here about people quitting gaming or taking a break due to the fact trophies took precedence over gaming and they eventually lost their love for gaming. That must really suck.

I suppose obsession with them and how valuable they are depends on the person

I have always avoided "spam" games on pc and ps4, I just try to buy games that I want to play and go for 100% on them no matter how hard (Spelunky and nuclear throne come to mind)

Edited by PixelatedPortal

1 hour ago, theSpirae said:

That's why I like to observe profiles and see how and why they have so many Platinums. Nearly all of my games are games I just buy because I really wanted to play them. I got a lot of indie Platinums this year because there were so many good Indies like Pyre and Sundered. My completion rate is shit too cause I play anything that interests me. 

7 hours ago, Maxie Mouse said:

@aZombieDictator Review my collection please :P

Damn way too many ultra rares lol. And lots of good games. I never managed to get Ultra rares but oh well. And nice job on Crash, my anger issues caused me to stop playing those... But lots of really nice and challenging games.

My profile is just kinda a mess lol

Edited by aZombieDictator
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, aZombieDictator said:

Damn way too many ultra rares lol. And lots of good games. I never managed to get Ultra rares but oh well. And nice job on Crash, my anger issues caused me to stop playing those... But lots of really nice and challenging games.

My profile is just kinda a mess lol

oooh can I get a review :P

17 minutes ago, PixelatedPortal said:

oooh can I get a review :P

I've already checked your profile but respect for that evil Within 2 and Danganronpa plat. I can't push myself for Danagnronpa cause the insane grind. And again nice on Crash, I really wanna go back but my anger issues just make me not wanna play it because it sets me off in the exact right ways to tick me. Off. I've even broken a controller over Crash...

I have 8 of your Platinums too :P

I've already checked your profile but respect for that evil Within 2 and Danganronpa plat. I can't push myself for Danagnronpa cause the insane grind. And again nice on Crash, I really wanna go back but my anger issues just make me not wanna play it because it sets me off in the exact right ways to tick me. Off. I've even broken a controller over Crash...

I have 8 of your Platinums too :P

Also stormy ascent on crash!

I am almost done with downwell and have to push myself for wolfenstein II

also my steam 100%s are better than my psn plats (I have spelunky, nuclear throne, the binding of isaac, the binding of isaac rebirth, rogue legacy, hotline miami and hotline miami 2)

Edited by PixelatedPortal

2 minutes ago, PixelatedPortal said:

Also stormy ascent on crash!

I am almost done with downwell and have to push myself for wolfenstein II

also my steam 100%s are better than my psn plats (I have spelunky, nuclear throne, the binding of isaac, the binding of isaac rebirth, rogue legacy, hotline miami and hotline miami 2)

I need to go back to downwell. And lol good luck on Wolfenstein. I've got Isaac and hotline Miami on here. And nuclear throne never ever got patched on Vita so I had to give up. (Had a 20 hour save file but on Vita it crashed whenever you reached throne... And it still does...) Rogue legacy can fuck off though, could never do the secret worlds.

And too bad you can't transfer you steam achievements to here, those would be really nice Platinums to have :P

I need to go back to downwell. And lol good luck on Wolfenstein. I've got Isaac and hotline Miami on here. And nuclear throne never ever got patched on Vita so I had to give up. (Had a 20 hour save file but on Vita it crashed whenever you reached throne... And it still does...) Rogue legacy can fuck off though, could never do the secret worlds.

And too bad you can't transfer you steam achievements to here, those would be really nice Platinums to have :P

Hah yeah, I am super proud of spelunky and nuclear throne

I've got 7 of those Platinums/100% on PlayStation but nice. I highly doubt I'll ever game on PC again.

I enjoy it but it doesn't feel that worth it since some of those game only have 11 achievements and everybody else can get 10k from 99 cents games

but as I said it depends on the value you give to it thaat's why I try to avoid easy spam games (I do have some 100%s on easy games but nowhere on the level of 100-10k achievements)

39 minutes ago, PixelatedPortal said:

I enjoy it but it doesn't feel that worth it since some of those game only have 11 achievements and everybody else can get 10k from 99 cents games

but as I said it depends on the value you give to it thaat's why I try to avoid easy spam games (I do have some 100%s on easy games but nowhere on the level of 100-10k achievements)

I see. And probably around 30% of my games are easy spam ones.