Kicking my @ss!

Wade_VC

I have to say, although I think the story mode of Batman:Arkham Asylum is fantastic, the Challenges are a pure monster, especially the Combat Challenges. Needless to say, I am getting my ass handed to me all over the place on the combat challenges.

My problem is that after a while instead of focusing on the moves, I start mashing buttons like Joe Cocker having a seizure; and from what I hear and have read, one has to be precise in order to win the extreme challenges...which is where I am.

I sure could use some tips from those who have successfully beaten all the Combat Challenges.

• Like 3

my tip is to try and just use as many different moves as you can, avoid getting hit if you can, and go for a long combo, then on last few enemies use a Ground Pound for some good points....also, for some of the Challenges, i just said "screw it" to the untouched bonus, and went for high combos, good variation score, and trying to get like 30-40+ combo chains then use Ground Pounds.

Just don't be afraid to wing it and play however suits you...i tried this at first, couldn't do it, stopped for a long time, came back, and did them all in like 4 hours...of course, i DID practice by fighting all the henchmen outside the "Party" and repeated until i could do it without getting touched/getting consistent high combos

• Like 2

...of course, i DID practice by fighting all the henchmen outside the "Party" and repeated until i could do it without getting touched/getting consistent high combos

Hey........now there is an idea! I will definitely use that tip to sharpen my skills before hitting the remaining challenges!

McMuffin:

Although I still haven't passed them, I took your advice and practiced a bit at "The Party", and have been improving my combo's...I am hoping this bit of practice will follow me to the remaining Combat Challenges I am working on. I'll let ya' know how it goes as I am gonna' give them a whirl later on tonight.

One of the best tips I can give you is when you are getting low on goons to smack around. Use the bat cable and pull 3 goons towards you and jump over one of them they will fall to the ground. You can get two ground and pounds in before they get up. so take out two and use the cable trick this will keep you combo and give you huge multipliers if you had a high combo going into the cable/ground and pound trick.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

yeah most important rule is to never button mash, keep moving from one enemy to another, as in punch here then move to one next to him and punch him and on to the next and so on. also finishers when you have them and dont forget to stun the ones with the knife also, even when you do what am saying it will seem hopeless but it will take practice, find a nice rhythm and go with it and you'll find yourself with a new shiny 1st place medal and soon a plat (:

• 3 weeks later...

Some tips that helped me...

• Take your time. You have more time than you think to get to your next move in a combo. If you panic, jump over an enemy and it will not break your combo. Batman has supreme range on his moves, and will leap across the room to hit someone if you point the stick correctly. Button-mashing will get you nowhere.
  • Perfect Combos. There are many combinations you can use. Learn to do one consistently. Always start each round of a challenge with a perfect combo.
  • Round 1. Especially on the Extreme challenges, I wouldn't even continue to Round 2 unless I got Round 1 perfect with one giant combo. A good start will save you frustration if you make a minor mistake later on.
  • Enemy types. It is critical to pay attention to the type of enemies around you. You have to stun a knife guy before hitting him. You have to hop over stun baton guys before hitting them. On the maps where guys go for guns (Sewer Bat Extreme, Shock and Awe Extreme), make every attempt to get the guys before they get the guns.
  • Take your time. Seriously. There is no better advice out there than this. Only one enemy will attack you at a time. You can always initiate a counter, even if you're halfway into an attack.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

The most important advice I can give is that evade is much more useful than counter. It has been my experience that 9 times out of 10 a thug will end your combo while you're in the middle of a counter animation. You're much better off evading. As long as you're evading over a goon, you will not lose your combo and at some point during flip over the thugs, Batman is invincible. The time that Batman is invincible is very small, but it's extremely helpful during last second thug punches and some titan charges if you're lucky.

One of the best tips I can give you is when you are getting low on goons to smack around. Use the bat cable and pull 3 goons towards you and jump over one of them they will fall to the ground. You can get two ground and pounds in before they get up. so take out two and use the cable trick this will keep you combo and give you huge multipliers if you had a high combo going into the cable/ground and pound trick.

The above advice is very useful for racking up points. One thing I'd like to add is that you can start doing the above at six goons left by knocking three thugs down with batarangs then use the batclaw to pull the other three toward you, evade over, then ground pound one or two of them depending on you time and thugs in your vicinity. Then just repeat until all the thugs are ktfo. ;)

Be sure to always evade over a thug to keep your combo going and save instant takedowns for knife wielders.

• Like 1

I recently played through these, same as you i had trouble with the extreme challenges. It took me bout a week of constant playing to perfect them, and was very frustrating lol.

After reading through all these tips people have gave you, i would say the pay attention to type of enemy is the best one as its normally the guys with weapons that brake your combo. Along with that i found repatition was my friend, i choose one then stuck with it till i finished it rarther than jumping from one to the other which probably accounts for alot of the frustration, but it gets the job done. The enemies spawn and attack the same way pretty much every time so it becomes easy it remember who is coming from where and what attack you need to use to keep your combo going.

• 1 year later...

Shock and Awe (Extreme) is a real b*tch. 

Been trying to beat it for the past two hours. 

stay near the ledge and everytime you are able to use a special throw an enemy over the edge. you will get a nice point multiplier and one less goon to take out in the limited time.

• Like 1

stay near the ledge and everytime you are able to use a special throw an enemy over the edge. you will get a nice point multiplier and one less goon to take out in the limited time.

Thanks. Ended up getting lucky and beating it with 37k.

Wow, AA is easily the toughest platinum I've done. Can't believe how hard those last couple of challenges were. 

Edited by Shiperzz

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Can't believe that just under 2 weeks ago I was getting killed by the first 3 guys on hard mode and now I have got the platinum. :D

I beat Shock & Awe in 30 minutes! Rumble in the Jungle took me about a day though.

For Shock & Awe I would advice that there is no need to go up to the platform and chasing guards till the end. The fact that one runs up there gives you a little more breathing room to keep your combo going. Just make sure you pay attention to enemy types and dodge appropriatly. Try and drag them to the floor when safe and ground pound.

Good luck to everyone else.

• 4 months later...

shock and awe extreme might just be the most over-hyped thing of all time, spent 10 minutes on it and finished on my first attempt where I actually played through all 4 rounds (usually I just restart if I make a little mistake in round 1 because I want to have wiggle room for error in later rounds. Even then, I still maybe tried it like 4 or 5 times total).

Although I probably got insanely lucky at some point during the later rounds, and I'm confident I couldn't complete that room with any consistency, I must say that I think rumble in the jungle extreme is more deserving of the infamy that S&A-E gets... I struggled MIGHTILY with that room.

Edited by Fray32-

I found a very easy method for combat challenges, myself.

Keep jumping around the crowd punching one person once, until you have roughly a 16x combo. Then, throw one enemy into a corner where no-one else is, then ground & pound him. Then jump back in and repeat. Anyone can very easily do this, even on shock and awe extreme, however it does take practice.

• Like 1

It's all purely based on skill. However, i do have one tip DON'T COUNTER just evade. ( :cross:, :cross: towards enemy) Also, try not to hit an enemy more than once or twice. After that just evade. Rinse N Repeat. Ground Pounds double your current combo score so try to finish a round with a Ground Pound. Try to disarm armed enemies first and Always go for the guy that runs away. He might try to throw something at you to disrupt your combo. Titans are kind of hard to defeat but if you know how to stun a Titan with another Titan then you're golden :D Titans can also knock down other thugs so you can Ground Pound them giving you lots of extra points.

Edited by King Zidane

shock and awe extreme might just be the most over-hyped thing of all time, spent 10 minutes on it and finished on my first attempt where I actually played through all 4 rounds (usually I just restart if I make a little mistake in round 1 because I want to have wiggle room for error in later rounds. Even then, I still maybe tried it like 4 or 5 times total).

Although I probably got insanely lucky at some point during the later rounds, and I'm confident I couldn't complete that room with any consistency, I must say that I think rumble in the jungle extreme is more deserving of the infamy that S&A-E gets... I struggled MIGHTILY with that room.

I'm wiht you on that one, Rumble in the Jungle gave me nightmares even Scarecrow can't hope to create. It took me a couple of hours to find the correct strategy for that challenge, and even then it was difficult to get enough points for the medals.

• 2 weeks later...

Like most say about this game. I loved every second of the story mode, even the collectables were truly enjoyable to find without need of a PC to check the net for. The predator challenges are amazing fun, but then the combat challenges have to happen.

I've actually had the 1000G on this twice and the platinum way back in 2010 when I had my very first PS3 for a few months. But with that said, I never once got the 100% skillfully. I admit that I barely scrapped through with minor combat skill and very fortunate on a few sections.

This is the fourth time I've bought this game and it will be the fourth time that my stress levels reach a whole new high. Even DS2 100% which is my proudest ever gaming moment is easier than this lol.

• 2 months later...

I struggled for a long time to finish a couple of the Extreme combat challenges. Without going into useless specifics, I can say that what helped me to succeed a bit more regularly was to concentrate on knocking down opponents. This can be done with liberal usage of the batarangs and the bat chain/claw. Once enemies are on the ground, the instant knockout moves can "kill" them as well as provide you with the largest bonus possible for a single move. So take down groups with your gadgets, then knock them out if they are isolated. You can also pick up and throw someone away from the other enemies, then jump to them and knock them out while safely out of reach.

The more you use the batarangs, the more successful you will likely be.

• 1 month later...

i finally finished the combat ones! two tips i got for you.

1. use triangle and circle on the knife dudes and the ones with the electrified thingies = win

2. when you get to fight titans first just finish the titans off withouth hitting any henchmen then after the titan is dead you can freely do a 30-40 combo on the 9 henchmen = piece of cake if you get a lil lucky.

huh. one of the most challenging games i played. now that's how a games challenges should be  :D