Too ambitious, yet too short

13 hours ago, slaveknight09 said:

a good purchase when price will become below 20$. Everything is good, visually impressive yet too short for my taste. Don't get me wrong the game is very well made thanks to Ninja theory. But I'd rather play a game than watching a movie, if you know I'm saying. I'm all about gameplay not eyecandies.

6.5 out of 10

thanks for the heads up ;) put it in my wishlist 

I have no regrets of the $30 i spent on this game. It's the first time in a very long time that I wanted to replay the story as soon as i finished the game. The Order: 1886 would have been a lot more succesful if it was originally sold for $30. I loved the fact it was a short game, i rarely get time to finish games with work and family nowadays. My question is this, if OP would only pay $20 for a game like this, would you be willing to pay $90 for a game like The Witcher 3?

• Like 2

I am glad I bought it also, but it is a very confronting and mentally exhausting game, well at least I am finding it so.  I am enjoying the narrative flow and I think it does a great job providing insight into psychotic breaks. There was a film in 2000 called "The Cell" which addresses similar issues and I can't play this game for more than a few minutes without almost a sense of déjà vu. Would definitely recommend seeing the movie to further enhance this game ( the movie is pretty b grade and has many disturbing moments from memory but many of the scenes and the message have stay with me for along time)

I second ShadowReplicant's view, we definitely need more games like this, it would be great to have more games with some emotional and intellectual depth, rather than just gameplay.

Edited by CjShai
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, TwistedHunter said:

I have no regrets of the $30 i spent on this game. It's the first time in a very long time that I wanted to replay the story as soon as i finished the game. The Order: 1886 would have been a lot more succesful if it was originally sold for $30. I loved the fact it was a short game, i rarely get time to finish games with work and family nowadays. My question is this, if OP would only pay $20 for a game like this, would you be willing to pay $90 for a game like The Witcher 3?

I agree with you, it was worth it. I don't understand why they made it cheaper, I mean games like Uncharted aren't much longer than 8 hours for each playthrough (unless you belive multiple difficulties is more gameplay) and they have won a lot of game of the year awards. Sure from the 2nd they had multiplayer, but to me I think this was equally to the first Uncharted and Order 1886 as you said.

52 minutes ago, Morfea said:

I agree with you, it was worth it. I don't understand why they made it cheaper, I mean games like Uncharted aren't much longer than 8 hours for each playthrough (unless you belive multiple difficulties is more gameplay) and they have won a lot of game of the year awards. Sure from the 2nd they had multiplayer, but to me I think this was equally to the first Uncharted and Order 1886 as you said.

they are trying it out as an indie triple a title now renamed independant triple a (which i just found out), pricing being one of the points made

What is the Independent AAA game? It is about creating, funding and owning IP of AAA quality but with the more focused game design, lower price point and open development process that defines indie games.  It’s about taking creative risks and making spectacular, exciting and unique game experiences that can compete with AAA and engages fans directly.
http://www.hellblade.com/the-independent-aaa-proposition/

hopefully this goes well for them, I've played and enjoyed all of the games they've worked on except the disney games and would love to play many more titles from them.
An underrated dev imo.

This Triple-A thing needs to stop. Nobody really knows any parameters and it just gets thrown around like a hooker in a brothel.

It's a well made game with independent funding.

It's fully worth it's asking price in my opinion. God of War and the likes are also relatively short single-player titles and barely anyone complains about the 60-70€/$ pricetag.

Of course everyone decides themselves when to buy a game, but I think the asking price is justified. Generally speaking.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Yeah great experience so far. Have spent more money on other crap. 

But you can´t really compare it to other games. God of war or uncharted had way more "real" gameplay than Hellblade. I mean for the most time i just walk around and listen to way too many voices in my head. Fighting is rare but works fine by me.

But Hellblade is still a gorgeous looking game which just delivered!

• 3 weeks later...

Of course it's short, what were you expecting? It's and independently developed and published game with Triple-A production value and a midtier pricing at half of what a regular Triple-A game costs if i recall corectly.

Two extended LotR movies you say? So that's about 7-8 hours. Getting a 15 hour campaign out of a regular triple-a release nowadays is already rather extensive in most cases. (Exceptions like MGSV, The Witcher, Fallout etc. of course)

• 1 month later...

So, does the game actually feel "too short" or is it only a price expectation?

Just stumbled over this on PSN. Howlongtobeat.com says it's about 7-8 hours so that will probably equal 9 hours for me. Seeing as it's half the price of an AAA game, and seemingly I'd put in about half the time I put in an average AAA game, I don't see the problem if this is just about price-length.

I think it's well worth the asking price, I was happy to do a second playthrough to cleanup the few lore stones I missed. It is definitely more of an experience type of game, best enjoyed with some good headphones.  Combat isn't particularly deep, and a large part of the game consists of environmental perspective puzzles, but the faithfulness to the theme, Senua's condition and trauma, and the Norse mythology make it stand out. I've made two different friends sit down and play through it, both contending that it was one of the best games they've ever played. 

If you want a grim decent into madness and eventually hell itself, this is worth your time. If you'e worried that 30 bucks for 8 or 9 hours isn't worth it, that is your call, but I have seen 60 dollar titles come in at about that length.. I'm happy with my purchase, but this is the kind of project I'd like to see more of in this industry, so I'm happy to support if I can. 

Edited by MagicSandwych
Spelling
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, MagicSandwych said:

I think it's well worth the asking price, I was happy to do a second playthrough to cleanup the few lore stones I missed. It is definitely more of an experience type of game, best enjoyed with some good headphones.  Combat isn't particularly deep, and a large part of the game consists of environmental perspective puzzles, but the faithfulness to the theme, Senua's condition and trauma, and the Norse mythology make it stand out. I've made two different friends sit down and play through it, both contending that it was one of the best games they've ever played. 

If you want a grim decent into madness and eventually hell itself, this is worth your time. If you'e worried that 30 bucks for 8 or 9 hours isn't worth it, that is your call, but I have seen 60 dollar titles come in at about that length.. I'm happy with my purchase, but this is the kind of project I'd like to see more of in this industry, so I'm happy to support if I can. 

Thanks for that.

I see you talking about going to hell, and I see others here and in other threads talking about mental illness. Aren't these huge spoilers? Or is this something that's clear from the start of the game?